The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How is MMR calculated ?

Saltisol
Saltisol
✭✭✭✭
In non cp BG's how is MMR calculated ?
What does it take in to consideration, gear, number of played BG's, allainace war rank or what ?
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    uc?id=1AXjit46q6os1ml-A2Sl0RTOriHg2tc62
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    uc?id=1AXjit46q6os1ml-A2Sl0RTOriHg2tc62

Chunky, that's a selfie aint it? 😂
    Edited by Weesacs on October 24, 2019 6:35PM
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No idea. Seems like they throw you a couple softballs at first. Win about just enough matches to feel like you know what you’re doing. Then unleash you to the real monsters. And get your face smashed in till you can’t take it anymore. Or get better.
  • coercer02neb18_ESO
    coercer02neb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    No idea. Seems like they throw you a couple softballs at first. Win about just enough matches to feel like you know what you’re doing. Then unleash you to the real monsters. And get your face smashed in till you can’t take it anymore. Or get better.

I am relatively new to PVP and was not aware that this was a thing. Sometimes I play a few games where I get 20+ kills and everything dies from 2-3 jabs; its so easy mode that I was wondering if I was playing against bots, like Fortnite... another I get absolutely roasted and get 10k fragments in my face or just completely obliterated by 1 particular team - clear as a daylight that players just have thousand more hours in the game. Not really sure how it all works.
  • Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭
    The reason I asked about how MMR is calculated is because I'm not sure what has changed in BG's. How are the individual player selected for that particular BG ?
    I play as as a magicka nightblade and I used to be decent but lately it feels like I get faced with 2 hand and heavy armor build 8 games out of 10.

So please ZOS tell how MMR is calculated so we get a chance to adjust if possible.
    Edited by Saltisol on October 25, 2019 1:42PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think some people specialize their character for land grab game. Super tanky, couldn’t beat your way out of a wet paper bag kind of works great for those.

Then you see some on their regular PvP toons. Like bombers and such.

Then dueling builds. They’re kind of jack of all trade and will do really well against everything.

And then of course some are just ball groups that murder everything they pass. Having a real healer in group can completely change the tone and let things work that wouldn’t otherwise.

Once you start getting good. Your gonna be pinned up against other good players. No real rhyme or reasoning to it that we can see from a player perspective. They’re not gonna let you go around murdering fools just trying to get a random daily in forever. Shark in the kiddie pool mentality.

Once you’re there, it seems like there’s no going back. Now you have to earn it.
  • Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think some people specialize their character for land grab game. Super tanky, couldn’t beat your way out of a wet paper bag kind of works great for those.

Then you see some on their regular PvP toons. Like bombers and such.

Then dueling builds. They’re kind of jack of all trade and will do really well against everything.

And then of course some are just ball groups that murder everything they pass. Having a real healer in group can completely change the tone and let things work that wouldn’t otherwise.

Once you start getting good. Your gonna be pinned up against other good players. No real rhyme or reasoning to it that we can see from a player perspective. They’re not gonna let you go around murdering fools just trying to get a random daily in forever. Shark in the kiddie pool mentality.

Once you’re there, it seems like there’s no going back. Now you have to earn it.

Well the problem is that I'm not good. I have played the game on and off for 5 years so I have high cp but as that doesn't count in BG how can they determine which player is "good" and which player aint ?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s not known to us as players what your MMR rating is. And many of us players think it is different for each character.

What many do seem to experience is easy matches at first, then after a short while, you get very different matches. Much more challenging.

I’d hesitate to put a number on it, but likely no more than 5 easy matches til you get thrown to the wolves.

Sometimes it varies. Possibly due to not many in que or any other number of things we can only speculate.

Some think that being really good and getting a high MMR leads to longer que times. But we really don’t know. It’s purely speculation and feels like something or other.
  • Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s not known to us as players what your MMR rating is. And many of us players think it is different for each character.

What many do seem to experience is easy matches at first, then after a short while, you get very different matches. Much more challenging.

I’d hesitate to put a number on it, but likely no more than 5 easy matches til you get thrown to the wolves.

Sometimes it varies. Possibly due to not many in que or any other number of things we can only speculate.

Some think that being really good and getting a high MMR leads to longer que times. But we really don’t know. It’s purely speculation and feels like something or other.

I assume that the intention is that competetive players are to be challenged by equally skilled player. But what I don't understand is why it's not publicly known. Probably it's something like a scoreboard or leaderboard so why not make it public ? Top players on the MMR leaderboard would add a lot to BG's for competitive players.

In my case (as I'm not very good) I could use the MMR info to "lower" my MMR score.

Added:
    One more thing, is it static ? I mean once I'm in "high" MMR am I stuck there or if I do a number of "bad" fights will I get lower MMR score ?
    Edited by Saltisol on October 25, 2019 3:09PM
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saltisol wrote: »

I assume that the intention is that competetive players are to be challenged by equally skilled player. But what I don't understand is why it's not publicly known. Probably it's something like a scoreboard or leaderboard so why not make it public ? Top players on the MMR leaderboard would add a lot to BG's for competitive players.

In my case (as I'm not very good) I could use the MMR info to "lower" my MMR score.

ESO is using a very simplified MMR system. At this point (multiple thousand BGs played in my case) we can assume that it is based on the number of matches played mainly and that you can not lower it. Which means the system conisders you high MMR after a certain number of matches even if you lose the majority of them. You might arrive slower at that point the less games you win but there is no going back to lower MMR tiers by intentionally losing (I tried that actually 2 patches ago).

The simplicity and (quite honestly) insufficient implementation of the MMR system is probably the main reason they wont display player MMR - it would cause a lot of (justified) player complaints about such a not well thought out system - and ZOS has proven to not be willing to 1) discuss with BG players and 2) invest meaningful ressources into that area of the game.

Sad story, I know.
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Saltisol
    Saltisol
    ✭✭✭✭

ESO is using a very simplified MMR system. At this point (multiple thousand BGs played in my case) we can assume that it is based on the number of matches played mainly and that you can not lower it. Which means the system conisders you high MMR after a certain number of matches even if you lose the majority of them. You might arrive slower at that point the less games you win but there is no going back to lower MMR tiers by intentionally losing (I tried that actually 2 patches ago).

The simplicity and (quite honestly) insufficient implementation of the MMR system is probably the main reason they wont display player MMR - it would cause a lot of (justified) player complaints about such a not well thought out system - and ZOS has proven to not be willing to 1) discuss with BG players and 2) invest meaningful ressources into that area of the game.

Sad story, I know.

Sad story indeed!
    Might be a stupid question but can we assume that MMR is calculated /character and not account ?
    Becasue if I'm not very good at playing my magicka NB I suck att playing the sorc.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We know that high MMR has longer queue times because we define high MMR as being to an MMR level where the system struggles to find others at that level.

Sad story, I know.

Sad story indeed!
    Might be a stupid question but can we assume that MMR is calculated /character and not account ?
    Becasue if I'm not very good at playing my magicka NB I suck att playing the sorc.

It’s character based.

PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp