Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Chat bubbles

Elvent
Elvent
✭✭✭✭
What was Zenimax thinking not making chat bubbles? I mean not even having an OPTION to toggle them off/on?

Chat bubbles are a much needed feature in MMORPGs, it lets you see who's talking and if somebody is talking to you it's easier to see. It makes the world look more alive. Plus it helps the RP community when gathered around chatting.

Most people don't look at the bottom left side of their screen all day, we're too busy looking at the world around us while we're adventuring.

I've had an experience where I was standing around looking around for quest items and there was somebody beside me jumping up and down and wouldn't go away, I figured it was just somebody trying to annoy me so after I finished I just left.

Chat was moving so fast because MEGASERVER/Gold selling advertisements every second but finally when there was no chat in my instanced dungeon I got a whisper telling me that I was rude and asked why I was ignoring them and I told them I have no idea what they were talking about and he told me he had been trying to ask for my help to kill a boss so I scrolled up and sure enough...there was a bunch of /say's of him talking to me and asking me for help...

If a /say was above his head, all this could have been avoided and not been an issue with the spam in chat/gold selling, I would have seen something in /say above his head that would have grabbed my attention.

Really if you're just trying to cater to a certain type of player with full on immersion then you're doing it wrong, what ruins my immersion is seeing people talk in /zone chat about nothing to do with the game, what ruins my immersion is seeing gold sellers spamming chat all day, what ruins my immersion is not able to see who is talking to me and if somebody is talking to me I have to sit there and scroll over each person to figure out who it is...in the real world I know if somebody is talking to me, I see them looking at me, their mouths moving, eyes looking at me...I would say that's equivalent to chat bubbles.

This will be the first MMORPG out of so many (SWG, LOTRO, Rift, WoW...ugh should I really name all or more?)

What makes ESO too cool for chat bubbles that they couldn't be an OPTIONAL feature and why the hech are we able to show healthbars above players heads but not chat bubbles?...

Sigh...I'm never going to get used to having no chat bubbles in an MMORPG, ruins my immersion out in the world. I hate that everybody just looks like NPCs standing around and talking in /say does nothing for anybody because nobody see's it.

Plus it's a megaserver....aren't we crowded with tens of thousands of players crammed up in a single chat? Maybe that explains why chat is so spammy? And why nobody would see a /say in chat?

/sigh

I'm done

/rant off

TLDR ESO is too cool for chat bubbles and it makes me disappointed.
  • TraviZ
    TraviZ
    The shorter version of what OP said, "we want chat bubbles".
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please speak for yourself, thanks.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭

Somebody that wants to force everybody to play his way instead of having options, ok, thanks.

• rdfarley89
    rdfarley89
    ✭✭✭
    864995113b95d111e26c407936579ee4.jpg
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »

Somebody that wants to force everybody to play his way instead of having options, ok, thanks.

Okay, how you got that from me asking that you speak for yourself instead of using the word we or being a self appointed spokesperson I will never know.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay, how you got that from me asking that you speak for yourself instead of using the word we or being a self appointed spokesperson I will never know.

Because saying speak for yourself basically means you disagree with me and we don't need these options, you could have just said "No, I don't like options it's fine how it is"

Why would you disagree with having options? Seems silly to me. That's what my post is about, having the option. Not forcing it on everybody.
  • KingRebz
    KingRebz
    ✭✭✭

^^^^^^

V14 Sorceror [Ebonheart]
  • StonedAlex
    StonedAlex
    Soul Shriven
    I want chat bubbles too, it ruins my immersion having to check the chat box every time someone is standing beside me to make sure they're not trying to tell me something.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I would never use them, I see no harm in having chat bubbles as long as they can be left off.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coggage wrote: »
    While I would never use them, I see no harm in having chat bubbles as long as they can be left off.

Of course, options is what I want here.

The way it could work is say if I have them turned on and you have them turned off, if you talk in /say I will see a chat bubble above your head, since you have yours turned off you don't see any chat bubbles, it's a win-win.
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elvent, I agree one million percent. There's actually an ongoing forum petition going on here. Zenimax, please, we need optional chat bubbles!

Oh, and prepare for one or two people to jump into your thread and start whining about how they don't want chat bubbles because of some personal, irrelevant reason that in no way supports any arguments as to why optional chat bubbles shouldn't be implemented.
    Edited by nalimoleb14_ESO on April 15, 2014 9:03PM
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elvent, I agree one million percent. There's actually an ongoing forum petition going on here. Zenimax, please, we need optional chat bubbles!

Oh, and prepare for one or two people to jump into your thread and start whining about how they don't want chat bubbles because of some personal, irrelevant reason that in no way supports any arguments as to why optional chat bubbles shouldn't be implemented.

Thanks for the support...wow that thread has a lot of replies, I never noticed it because I only come to this part of the forum, thanks for that and I will show my support there.