The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Ballista range nerfed in PTS (I presume due to the same reason as Shadow Image)

susmitds
susmitds
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Ballista range got dropped from 28m to 25m in PTS.
Ballista (morph): Updated the tooltip of this ability to show its true range, to prevent confusion in areas where you could increase your range yet fail to actually increase the range of the ability.

From my testing there was a definite 3m drop in range.

Why does this matter, you might wonder. Well, 26m is the exact range from which you can attack someone on top of a wall from bottom in Cyrodiil without which the Ballista gets auto-LoSed. Putting it at 25m means it won't be possible anymore.

@ZOS_Gilliam @ZOS_BrianWheeler Could you guys please look into adding in the same fix as Shadow Image, without nerfing the skill range?
Edited by susmitds on October 13, 2019 12:42PM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In patch notes it said, the true range of Ballista was shown but from my testing there was a definite drop of range by 3m. On live, it was possible to Ballista someone on a wall of a keep from bottom.
    In PTS, it does not work anymore 99% of the time. Tested from various angles with a friend.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    In patch notes it said, the true range of Ballista was shown but from my testing there was a definite drop of range by 3m. On live, it was possible to Ballista someone on a wall of a keep from bottom.
    In PTS, it does not work anymore 99% of the time. Tested from various angles with a friend.

This the case with toxic barrage too?because if thats the case meteor and every other skill that is allowed to hit from the ground to top of a keep wall needs to be decreased as well
    Edited by Nordic__Knights on October 13, 2019 10:15PM
  • Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try using skills that dont rely on health desyncs
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Pretty sad when players blame other players for ZOS's buggy game lol
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude your trash always have been stfu and L2P everything that kills you is in your eyes an bugged skill funny coming from an no skill zergling
    Edited by Nordic__Knights on October 14, 2019 1:00AM
  • Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just snipe bow ult and overload. Besides that its w/e. Try to be civil Nordic.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just snipe bow ult and overload. Besides that its w/e. Try to be civil Nordic.

Then try to not add insult to injury when other's have issues with skills not working because even tho im an bow user id like zos to fix snipe not to hit 3xs because of lag you dont get that some of us get locked out of even doing skills sometimes because of it
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

Pretty sad when players blame other players for ZOS's buggy game lol

Its also pretty sad when you want to use ballista but feel bad about it because it causes horrible desyncs. It goes both ways. It just doesn't feel right.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 14, 2019 2:24AM
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gatdangmayne
    Quest for you so do you believe only magic classes should have an range ultimate? Because id like to know what other stam ultimate has range? And if you dont do you feel both stam and magic range should be the same ?
  • Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Gatdangmayne
    Quest for you so do you believe only magic classes should have an range ultimate? Because id like to know what other stam ultimate has range? And if you dont do you feel both stam and magic range should be the same ?

Okay let's list the ranged offensive ults in game. Bow ult, meteor, soul strike, and i guess overload, destro ult kind of can be, negate kind of, and atro kind of.

Destro, negate, and atro you just move away from as they are ground based aoes.

Meteor has a very obvious telegraph that says "block now!" And still only hits for maybe 10k at most, ignoring the dot aoe it leaves.

Soul strike, usually does nothing, and if it does hurt, you can just block it pretty easily (usually).

Overload is stupid, and broken Imo, though i will admit that for it to actually hit hard, the player is typically built for only overload spam...sadly they just streak away otherwise though.

Bow ult, i would compare most to soul strike. Except bow ult hits for 20k+, and frequently causes health desyncs, and the person using it (unless using the toxic barrage morph) can literally cloak and run away while it fires. Or, if using the toxic barrage morph, there's no obvious beam like from soul strike...also soul strike is garbage.

So let's keep with this comparison of ranged playstyles. Not counting dots, common ranged attacks include: Swallow soul, force pulse, destro reach, elemental weapon, curse, frags, wrath, merciless resolve/assasins will, javelin, dark flare, Jesus beam, stonefist, flames of oblivion, warden birds, and then necro has blastbones and skulls i think- though i don't have necro so i won't be talking about them really. Oh, and snipe.

Of these, i would qualify snipe, curse, frags, merciless, dark flare and beam as hard hitters.

Curse can be purged, you can see its on you and therefore preemptively heal/shield, regardless i dont think I've seen one hit more than 5-6k.

Frags is a rng proc usually, and easily dodged. I've seen as high as 10k, but usually more like 5-6k.

Merciless is a proc also, has the most obvious sound in game, and is easily dodged. Without the soul harvest/incap damage buff which requires you to go into melee, it's probably going to hit for anywhere between 6-12k.

Dark flare is also pretty easily dodged, again with an obvious sound. Still, it only hits for about 6k.

Jesus beam is an execute, and while its pretty op, it's not necessarily unbalanced Imo. Hard to say what it hits for as its a dot usually cast multiple times, but I'll say 10k in execute range.

Snipe, when spammed hits 3x at once for your entire healthbar, from 28+ away.

Or, they snipe heavy attack inject silver shards, and again, it all hits at once, from a ridiculous range.

All the other ranged skills hit for maybe 3-4k on a glass cannon spec.

Snipe, otoh, has an easy to miss sound queue (if you get it at all), and typically hits for 7k+, though I've seen plenty of 3-4k snipe spammers.

So yeah, i feel as if ranged skills should hit less than melee skills, and that the distance should be inversely proportional to the damage.

Why reward the dude not actually learning how to effectively counter, heal, los, etc while they're sitting on a rock away from the fight?

Alas, this is eso, and in its quest for balance and catering to casuals i dont think combat balance will ever be quite where i want it.

• susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gatdangmayne Ballista desync is fixed in PTS.

Also even if you hate stealth playstyles, it is a fully intended playstyle multiple times confirmed by the devs.

Ballista has just as much of a telegraph as Meteor.

Also, don't ever dictate another player what skills to not use, cause nobody cares. You seem to have the delusion that anybody that doesn't play the way you consider okay, is a bad player.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gatdangmayne

Okay let's list the ranged offensive ults in game. Bow ult, meteor, soul strike, and i guess overload, destro ult kind of can be, negate kind of, and atro kind of.

Meteor has a very obvious telegraph that says "block now!" And still only hits for maybe 10k at most, ignoring the dot aoe it leaves.

Soul strike, usually does nothing, and if it does hurt, you can just block it pretty easily (usually).

Overload is stupid, and broken Imo, though i will admit that for it to actually hit hard, the player is typically built for only overload spam...sadly they just streak away otherwise though.

Bow ult, i would compare most to soul strike. Except bow ult hits for 20k+, and frequently causes health desyncs, and the person using it (unless using the toxic barrage morph) can literally cloak and run away while it fires. Or, if using the toxic barrage morph, there's no obvious beam like from soul strike...also soul strike is garbage.

So let's keep with this comparison of ranged playstyles. Not counting dots, common ranged attacks include: Swallow soul, force pulse, destro reach, elemental weapon, curse, frags, wrath, merciless resolve/assasins will, javelin, dark flare, Jesus beam, stonefist, flames of oblivion, warden birds, and then necro has blastbones and skulls i think- though i don't have necro so i won't be talking about them really. Oh, and snipe.

Of these, i would qualify snipe, curse, frags, merciless, dark flare and beam as hard hitters.

Curse can be purged, you can see its on you and therefore preemptively heal/shield, regardless i dont think I've seen one hit more than 5-6k.

Frags is a rng proc usually, and easily dodged. I've seen as high as 10k, but usually more like 5-6k.

Merciless is a proc also, has the most obvious sound in game, and is easily dodged. Without the soul harvest/incap damage buff which requires you to go into melee, it's probably going to hit for anywhere between 6-12k.

Dark flare is also pretty easily dodged, again with an obvious sound. Still, it only hits for about 6k.

Jesus beam is an execute, and while its pretty op, it's not necessarily unbalanced Imo. Hard to say what it hits for as its a dot usually cast multiple times, but I'll say 10k in execute range.

Or, they snipe heavy attack inject silver shards, and again, it all hits at once, from a ridiculous range.

Snipe, otoh, has an easy to miss sound queue (if you get it at all), and typically hits for 7k+, though I've seen plenty of 3-4k snipe spammers.

So yeah, i feel as if ranged skills should hit less than melee skills, and that the distance should be inversely proportional to the damage.

Why reward the dude not actually learning how to effectively counter, heal, los, etc while they're sitting on a rock away from the fight?

Alas, this is eso, and in its quest for balance and catering to casuals i dont think combat balance will ever be quite where i want it.

I like how you done this but I also think it's funny how the only ability that you ever did of 3 combo with any other skill with snipe you never said snipe alone was anything I've done told you I agree that the lag that causes the three Snipes in a roll I don't find it be good but that's not the players fault it's the game developers problem that they need to fix and you talk about hiding off in the back most sorcs do the same while frag course mage wreathing 3xs or forseshocking spam or templar chuck javelin's at everything while darkflearing and power of the light spamming and wardens chuck birds that you cant dodge while their bear's running around doing damage with there flys/bugs ( not taking the time to look up names but you know what skills im talking about ) and non of them are affected by lag lol i know ive been hit with 2xs bird and 3x darkflear more then an handful of times due to lag but players understand its not the user making that happen tho given non of that killed me but it sure as hell helped because not to many classes outside of nb play solo they always have 4 to 24+ alongside them so tbh if snipe wasn't the 1 out of all other skills that lag affcts that killed you snipe wouldn't be looked at as so bad unfortunately it is the main 1 that kills why because yes it hits hard but looking at reast of the bow skills what else dose NOTHING, PI good at execute but that's being taken away so all and all maybe stop putting you time into killing an skill and put it into GETTING AN FIX FOR THE LAG THAT HARMS THE SKILL ITSELF
  • Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Nordic__Knights

Okay, on magsorcs, i agree - it's annoying af that they stay at range spamming *** and streak away when you look at them. MagSorcs n StealthNbs are my two most hated classes.

Range should not hit as hard as melee. Period.

Birds, are dodge able, as of a few patches ago.

Javelin/flare spam is annoying too, but again, flare is super easy to avoid unlike snipe and sorcspam.

Lastly, yeah, i would be fine if ZOS would fix the lagdeath associated with snipe. Though i don't think they can, without fundamentally changing the skill itself.

So, my point stands - knowingly using broken skills, and saying "blame zos!" - does not make using said broken skills okay.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nordic__Knights

Okay, on magsorcs, i agree - it's annoying af that they stay at range spamming *** and streak away when you look at them. MagSorcs n StealthNbs are my two most hated classes.

Javelin/flare spam is annoying too, but again, flare is super easy to avoid unlike snipe and sorcspam.

Lastly, yeah, i would be fine if ZOS would fix the lagdeath associated with snipe. Though i don't think they can, without fundamentally changing the skill itself.

So, my point stands - knowingly using broken skills, and saying "blame zos!" - does not make using said broken skills okay.

Ballista desync happens less than 5% of the time and that too in certain circumstances.

It does not happen as regularly as the people that die to it believe.

I know that for a fact as I have been using it ever since One Tamriel as one of my primary damage ults.
  • Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    @Nordic__Knights

Ballista desync happens less than 5% of the time and that too in certain circumstances.

It does not happen as regularly as the people that die to it believe.

I know that for a fact as I have been using it ever since One Tamriel as one of my primary damage ults.

Amazing you can tell when someone else gets desynced or not!

In my experience, literally the only time i die to bow ult is with a desync.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nordic__Knights

So use of any broken skills/sets then would be cheating in an since right?
    Do you know that a lot think dizzy is an broken skill since while in air you can land 2 hits before they even touch the ground again and with LAG break free never works adding to this broken skill
    So tho 1 skill is broken in 1 way ( dizzy) and the other in an different way less controlled ( snipe) players use them both why because there not bad skills if used right or game is working right so as ive said an 100xs players need to stop fighting against each other on getting these skills fixed regardless of how they change the skill trying to fix it never once on any of the changes to snipe have i said anything against that fix REMOVAL of an part/ damage lowering why ? Hopes that it might help others on the other end of that skill having an counter or less broken of an skill to deal with. But now that your talking and not just adding insult to injury at every turn im gaining an lil respect for you ty for this because i dont like looking at things negatively but try to see whats good about them tho sometimes its hard i get that it makes for an better day hopefully you can start/continue giving useful feedback as you have been gg have fun playing today
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gotten hit with ballista and snipe many times in cyrodiil and bgs in the LAGGYEST OF BOTH mind you and NOT ONCE did it desync me.
  • sly007
    sly007
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Gatdangmayne

You do realize that bow ult can be dodged and los, taking zero damage? Soul assault is a channel that cannot be dodgesble. Only way to mitigate damage is to block or los.

Snipers are almost always NBs.