The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

imac 27" 2013 - Stutters during gameplay.

• garfsbastian
    I can show what my monitor shows,
    its rly strange even with the small window mode..its eating too much CPU energy i think? ( with the little stutters ofc :neutral_face: i wont get rid of those even if i have my 60fps)
    Anything odd in the monitor?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yshaar wrote: »
    well you could upgrade your ram to 8 GB or play on bootcamp.

What difference would it make if i play on bootcamp?

I have 16gb of ram i guess its that right?
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Think he's referring to your MBP which has 4GB RAM. Bootcamp just means you ca try the PC client and see if it works better.
  • garfsbastian
    Moonraker wrote: »
    well you could upgrade your ram to 8 GB or play on bootcamp.

What difference would it make if i play on bootcamp?

I have 16gb of ram i guess its that right?
    Think he's referring to your MBP which has 4GB RAM. Bootcamp just means you ca try the PC client and see if it works better.

well not really intrested in upgrading the macbook pro since its from my gf xD not mine, was just a quick test, like my test in the toshiba.
    Just conserned with the imac 27" with i think it wouldnt make sense upgrading from 16 to 32. wouldnt make any different in this situation. :dizzy_face: i could install bootcamp again i think, but il see how it develops with the small window in the 27" or maybe they do some upate that cures my stutts who know :pensive:

I saw this somewhere with someone having the same problem ( mini stutters ) il put what was the resolution for him:

"Steps in case anyone else has the same problem:
    Nvidia control panel:
    Enable adaptive Vsync (half refresh rate)
    Enable triple frame buffering
    Pre-render 3 frames

In the ini file:
    Mouse acceleration off

In the standard options:
    Distant object detail (medium)"

But i guess this is impossible in a MAC :confused:
    and heres a peview ( not mine ) of how i see the stutters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3ygf1wrUE

Edited by garfsbastian on April 14, 2014 5:37PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nvidia control panel:
    Pre-render 3 frames

In the ini file:
    Mouse acceleration off

In the standard options:

Nvidia Control Panel is PC only (except for Mac Pro maybe).

No point upgrading memory further on iMac. Wont make a difference even when there is a 64-bit client. Like I've said a few times. It's your graphics card is the core issue. Nothing will change that except what settings you can set.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 14, 2014 6:02PM
  • garfsbastian
    Nvidia control panel:
    Pre-render 3 frames

In the ini file:
    Mouse acceleration off

In the standard options:

Nvidia Control Panel is PC only (except for Mac Pro maybe).

No point upgrading memory further on iMac. Wont make a difference even when there is a 64-bit client. Like I've said a few times. It's your graphics card is the core issue. Nothing will change that except what settings you can set.

A laptop graphic card on a 27" Imac is the core problem here to be precise :disagree: ahahah! so my only solution is really playing in a small window?..cuz in WoW or other games this dosent rly happen..and even so with the small window stutters are still there..less but still there :confused: god damn why me! xD
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

A laptop graphic card on a 27" Imac is the core problem here to be precise :disagree: ahahah! so my only solution is really playing in a small window?..cuz in WoW or other games this dosent rly happen..and even so with the small window stutters are still there..less but still there :confused: god damn why me! xD[/quote]
    Even the top end graphics card available, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, that I have is a mobile graphics card. This is mainly for cooling reasons in a laptop or iMac body.

WoW has a lot less textures and other graphics intensive content than ESO, especially in PvP big battles. You can't really compare the two.
  • garfsbastian

A laptop graphic card on a 27" Imac is the core problem here to be precise :disagree: ahahah! so my only solution is really playing in a small window?..cuz in WoW or other games this dosent rly happen..and even so with the small window stutters are still there..less but still there :confused: god damn why me! xD
    Even the top end graphics card available, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, that I have is a mobile graphics card. This is mainly for cooling reasons in a laptop or iMac body.

WoW has a lot less textures and other graphics intensive content than ESO, especially in PvP big battles. You can't really compare the two.
    [/quote]

Ah didnt know :) good info!

Well i played skyrim in this one with no prob at all..i know its not online but..
    Ah well bugs me off to think its only the graphic card and not something else..cuz it feels like some else

• Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I thought you only had 4gb on your imac. Mixed that up.

Nevertheless, i am still not yet convinced that you cannot play eso on full resolution with that machine.

I took a look at your activity monitor. Did you try to end firefox and really all other not needed software running ?(preview e.g.)

there are some .ini file modifications you could try out. I will post tomorrow more on this.

Oh and: patch time soon :)
  • garfsbastian
    Sorry, I thought you only had 4gb on your imac. Mixed that up.

Nevertheless, i am still not yet convinced that you cannot play eso on full resolution with that machine.

I took a look at your activity monitor. Did you try to end firefox and really all other not needed software running ?(preview e.g.)

there are some .ini file modifications you could try out. I will post tomorrow more on this.

Oh and: patch time soon :)

yup im not convinced aswell, i bet its something that i just cant figure out (one thing is the graphic card yeh..but cant be that) :cry: i only closed dropbox and steam, dindt close any others, that i have seen to cause some harm while playing hmm
    Yeh i kinda dont know what to close since i dont understand much of this stuff :pensive:

from .ini you saying config from eso? well i tried some, maybe you have anothers that can enlight me! thank you!

Well lets see what the patch do!
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    Garf, there is a lot of stuff in this thread, and we are getting from a to b to c.

I think the important stuff is this:
    Get rid of Wifi
    Get rid of Steam
    512MB is the absolute minimum for this kind of display (personally, I would say it's below the minimum)
    4GB is not very much, but theoretically should be enough, given the fact that ESO is still 32bit

Pretty much everything has been explained. All of the above things will cause little breaks in the gameplay. Time needed to reload textures. Time needed to transfer data. And so on. It's just the package. Sorry.

C,
  • garfsbastian
    Carmina wrote: »
    Garf, there is a lot of stuff in this thread, and we are getting from a to b to c.

I think the important stuff is this:
    Get rid of Wifi
    Get rid of Steam
    512MB is the absolute minimum for this kind of display (personally, I would say it's below the minimum)
    4GB is not very much, but theoretically should be enough, given the fact that ESO is still 32bit

Pretty much everything has been explained. All of the above things will cause little breaks in the gameplay. Time needed to reload textures. Time needed to transfer data. And so on. It's just the package. Sorry.

C,

1- i alrdy dont have the wifi
    2- i dont have steam running
    3- yeh i have 512 but that cant cause those breaks, i know what kind of breaks would a graphic card would do, not the case
    4-i dont have 4gb i have 16gb

Simple has that, i tought this was an open forum, where any people could help.
    And there is not that many stuff here, we dindt go to a or b or c.

Thank you
  • henrycupcakerwb17_ESO
    83pwttgiku1w.png
    Hello there first of all il just put my spec here

Imac 27" 2013 ( new ones )
    Processor 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64) Mavericks

I already tried bunch of stuff in the config, tried to tweak it around, tried to disable addons etc. but it seems that i have to play in low/med quality and in 19xx14 resolution..and i just get a mere 20-40 fps not more and in dungeons or cyrodill my god wont even talk the shutters/hips i get...cant seem to find the problem here

Any help would be really appreciated :c thank you!

lol , seriously , what do you expect from a Nvidia 6xx generation 512 mb display card ?

asking on the forum for solution will only buy you self comfort but won't solve the issue

just buy an new iMac already ! look at the screenshot i attached , my game don't even stutter at all with all these people / horses running simultaneously on screen ( with all max setting & AA on )

i ordered 3 iMacs just for this game and they are all upgraded to gtx 780 M with 4GB ram & SSD drive because i know thats gonna be the minimum requirement if i wanna fully enjoy it on 2560 x1440 resolution with quality set to MAX ....god .. whats the fun of setting this to medium and that on low just to smoothly run a game..............

and this game deserves it
    Edited by henrycupcakerwb17_ESO on April 15, 2014 3:10PM
  • garfsbastian
    83pwttgiku1w.png
    Hello there first of all il just put my spec here

Imac 27" 2013 ( new ones )
    Processor 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64) Mavericks

I already tried bunch of stuff in the config, tried to tweak it around, tried to disable addons etc. but it seems that i have to play in low/med quality and in 19xx14 resolution..and i just get a mere 20-40 fps not more and in dungeons or cyrodill my god wont even talk the shutters/hips i get...cant seem to find the problem here

Any help would be really appreciated :c thank you!

lol , seriously , what do you expect from a Nvidia 6xx generation 512 mb display card ?

asking on the forum for solution will only buy you self comfort but won't solve the issue

just buy an new iMac already ! look at the screenshot i attached , my game don't even stutter at all with all these people / horses running simultaneously on screen ( with all max setting & AA on )

i ordered 3 iMacs just for this game and they are all upgraded to gtx 780 M with 4GB ram & SSD drive because i know thats gonna be the minimum requirement if i wanna fully enjoy it on 2560 x1440 resolution with quality set to MAX ....god .. whats the fun of setting this to medium and that on low just to smoothly run a game..............

and this game deserves it

Not everyone is rich, simple.
    If i have a 1 year old imac why cant i get solution?
    wont buy me any confortt, will buy me solutions, i know there is some yet
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys, I think there is little to be gained from going over stuff already tried on this. The issue appears pretty clear.

I would say that a big chunk of the problem is Apple putting in poor performing graphics cards into base model iMacs for some time. Even now, the base 21.5 inch latest base model as an integrated graphics card (Intel Iris Pro graphics) It's not a terrible card as such but really not able to play 3D games which demand anything beyond basic use.

Even the new base model iMac 27 inch with the Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 1GB will struggle to run High+ at the native 2560 x 1440.

Lets hope they improve these base models graphics cards.

• garfsbastian
    Guys, I think there is little to be gained from going over stuff already tried on this. The issue appears pretty clear.

I would say that a big chunk of the problem is Apple putting in poor performing graphics cards into base model iMacs for some time. Even now, the base 21.5 inch latest base model as an integrated graphics card (Intel Iris Pro graphics) It's not a terrible card as such but really not able to play 3D games which demand anything beyond basic use.

Even the new base model iMac 27 inch with the Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 1GB will struggle to run High+ at the native 2560 x 1440.

Lets hope they improve these base models graphics cards.

If i could i would upgrade my imac graphic card for a better one but i think its impossible to upgrade them..
  • viktorcodeneb18_ESO
    Check you have VSYNC disabled if you are playing full screen. There’s a bug severely limiting FPS with VSYNC turned on, but only in fullscreen, not windowed mode.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check you have VSYNC disabled if you are playing full screen. There’s a bug severely limiting FPS with VSYNC turned on, but only in fullscreen, not windowed mode.
    There is no bug. That is the way the double buffering Vsync works by capping FPS to values relative to the monitor refresh rate. So for 60Hz it will halve to 30, 15 etc. FPS. Read more details here.

Vysnc should be OFF anyhow for Macs as it also uses more memory which will impact the memory issue.
  • garfsbastian
    There is no bug. That is the way the double buffering Vsync works by capping FPS to values relative to the monitor refresh rate. So for 60Hz it will halve to 30, 15 etc. FPS. Read more details here.

Vysnc should be OFF anyhow for Macs as it also uses more memory which will impact the memory issue.

yeh everything is off, what i have in high is the subsampling only ;) i tried with vsync on and off but nothing changed so :neutral_face: guess il just keep on playing in window small mode :expressionless: or research on a new graphic card, where iv seen its nearly impossible to change.
    Still have yet to try on bootcamp and see if the stutter goes on.
    Edited by garfsbastian on April 15, 2014 7:08PM