The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mag necro in pvp

ThePhantomThorn
ThePhantomThorn
✭✭✭✭
Am I the only one who thinks magnecro is lacking in pvp?
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not impossible to play, it just lacks a few fundamental tools for pvp

A instant cc:
Totem sucks. Why can it not just fear instantly? Impossible to stun any good players.

Reliable burst:
Blastbones is still buggy. Not as bad as it was but it still doesn’t always hit when you need it.
Just make it jump immediately. Always.

And finally,
Mobility.
Dk has chains
Templar has a gap closer
Nb has shade
Sorc has streak
Warden has falcon wings

Necro has...
Nothing.

Replace the immobilise skill with a skill that give major expedition.
I mean, it’s useless.
Bad for tanks, already have totem for crowd control, and minor maim from heroic slash.

Plz zos, make magnecro useful
  • juhislihis19
    juhislihis19
    ✭✭✭✭
    DK and Necro do not have any viable ability/passive for mobility. The chain is absolutely useless skill and a waste of bar space.

I'm all for giving all classes some useful source of Expedition/mobility, so that sDK/stamCro/MagDK/Magcro don't have to rely on Bow/Mist.
  • xAk_MoRRoWiNdx
    xAk_MoRRoWiNdx
    ✭✭✭
    Using NB shade for mobility... heh.
    New to forums and stuff so I 99.9 percent probably won't see your response and such, so use the at symbol at me I guess? IDK :/. This BBCode stuff is really cool!! :D.
    Gamer from Alaska (907 Gamers, Alaskan Gamers Unite!).
    My little rant I guess?:
      One day Nightblades will get the buffs we desperately need and deserve, but so far, those buffs are not today.. The Elder Scrolls Online: Nightblade Nerfs Unlimited.
      Don't nerf you, don't nerf me, nerf the sorc behind the tree!.

If you need help or advice, hit me up on Xbox: H4rry Poggers :D .
      Also open to talking on Discord!

Ich kann Deutsch Sprechen bei der mittleren/zwischen Kenntnissen Ebene. Hallo! :D.

CP level 1000+! Playing since 2015.

My wishlist I suppose:
      • PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEAAASSSEEE EITHER BUFF SIPHONING STRIKES OR REVERT IT BACK TO PRE MORROWIND!!.
      • Bring back purge cloak. But I guess the new heal cloak is more beneficial. Hmmm....
      • MAKE IMPERIAL CITY GREAT AGAIN, BRING BACK THOSE INCREDIBLE DAYS. My best experiences in ESO where in there!
      • Return Stam builds to the power we held in One Tamriel. Long Live Stamina builds!
      • Put Magplar and MagDK into their place. Magpsorc is a hopeless case.
      • Is there any chance that we could get an Ebonheart Pact nerf? #CullingTheHerds .

My 10 characters:
      • AD - xak-Morrowindx - Khajiit Stamina Nightblade. Hours: 107 days, 19 hours (2,568 hours).
      • EP - Ich bin Groot - Orc Stamina Dragonknight. Hours: 2 days, 16 hours (64 hours).
      • DC - Who Took My Bleach - Orc Stamina Sorcerer. Hours: 3 days, 18 hours. (90 hours).
      • EP - Niada Zaennon - High Elf Magicka Nightblade. Hours: 15 days, 18 hours (378 hours).
      • AD - Healsyournoobazzwithmemes - Argonian Magicka Templar. Hours: 1 day, 9 hours (33 hours)
      • DC - Engulfing Traps - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight. Hours: 7 days, 17 hours (129 hours).
      • AD - Verführung - High Elf Magicka Sorcerer. Hours: 5 days, 9 hours (129 hours)
      • DC - Deadazz catch these birds - Nord Stamina Warden. Hours: 6 days, 21 hours (165 hours)
      • EP - So Bendy - Wood Elf Stamina Templar. Hours: 1 day, 15 hours (39 hours)
      • EP - Smash that mf Like button - Breton Magicka Warden. Hours: 20 hours, 20 minutes.

Aldmeri Dominion Master-Faction!
    • LeHarrt91
      LeHarrt91
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Don’t get me wrong, it’s not impossible to play, it just lacks a few fundamental tools for pvp

A instant cc:
      Totem sucks. Why can it not just fear instantly? Impossible to stun any good players.

Reliable burst:
      Blastbones is still buggy. Not as bad as it was but it still doesn’t always hit when you need it.

And finally,
      Mobility.
      Dk has chains
      Templar has a gap closer
      Nb has shade
      Sorc has streak
      Warden has falcon wings

Necro has...
      Nothing.

I mean, it’s useless.
      Bad for tanks, already have totem for crowd control, and minor maim from heroic slash.

There will be a new set coming out call Marauders Haste which increases your speed by 20% when you activate a shield, pair it with Swift and its basically Major Expedition. I do understand where your coming from tho.
      You could also use Channelled Acceleration which would pair well with your Death Knell Passive.

Stun it certainly an issue i understand as i play MagDen, both Necro and Warden needed the stun on Shock Clench due to how our class stuns work. Unfortunately we are both forced to use Flame Clench or Vamp Drain.
      PS NA 1800+ CP
      Have played all classes.
      Warden Main

• ThePhantomThorn
      ThePhantomThorn
      ✭✭✭✭
      DK and Necro do not have any viable ability/passive for mobility. The chain is absolutely useless skill and a waste of bar space.

I'm all for giving all classes some useful source of Expedition/mobility, so that sDK/stamCro/MagDK/Magcro don't have to rely on Bow/Mist.

Yep
      I know chains isn’t perfect. I think major expedition on wings would be better.
      But you get my point.
      LeHarrt91 wrote: »

A instant cc:

Reliable burst:

And finally,
      Mobility.
      Dk has chains
      Templar has a gap closer
      Nb has shade
      Sorc has streak
      Warden has falcon wings

Necro has...
      Nothing.

I mean, it’s useless.

There will be a new set coming out call Marauders Haste which increases your speed by 20% when you activate a shield, pair it with Swift and its basically Major Expedition. I do understand where your coming from tho.
      You could also use Channelled Acceleration which would pair well with your Death Knell Passive.

Stun it certainly an issue i understand as i play MagDen, both Necro and Warden needed the stun on Shock Clench due to how our class stuns work. Unfortunately we are both forced to use Flame Clench or Vamp Drain.

Don’t really want to run a set to get mobility.
      Rn I use mist form but dawnbreaker and magdks hit so hard against vamp.

Stuns are an issue. I think deep fissure should stun again. There was nothing wrong with it.
      Using NB shade for mobility... heh.

It is one of the most powerful mobility tools. It’s a damn TELEPORT
    • NinchiTV
      NinchiTV
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Ya, been saying that for a while, thankfully its getting some much needed buffs. Use mist form or RaT, seems to work fine.

• Baphomet
      Baphomet
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If you go vampire and use accelerated drain as your stun, mag necro can be quite strong.

Set off your blastbones, cast meteor and then stun-drain your target at watch that healthbar go down when all the damge connect at the same time.

But that's about all magcros have going for them.

They definately need better mobility and less clunkiness!

- The Psijic Order
      - TKO
      - Dominant Dominion
      - The Noore
    • ThePhantomThorn
      ThePhantomThorn
      ✭✭✭✭
      Baphomet wrote: »
      If you go vampire and use accelerated drain as your stun, mag necro can be quite strong.

Set off your blastbones, cast meteor and then stun-drain your target at watch that healthbar go down when all the damge connect at the same time.

Still
      That forces you to play a vamp.
      While it works it doesn’t change that the class stun sucks.
      Tho I will try that.
      Imagine it with hulk smash 😈
    • Qbiken
      Qbiken
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Would like to see a small rework of the Mystic Syphon morph, where you gain major expedition while you´re tethered to a corpse, breaking the tether removes the expedition buff. This would help alot with mobility for magnecro.
    • ThePhantomThorn
      ThePhantomThorn
      ✭✭✭✭
      Qbiken wrote: »
      Would like to see a small rework of the Mystic Syphon morph, where you gain major expedition while you´re tethered to a corpse, breaking the tether removes the expedition buff. This would help alot with mobility for magnecro.

That’s a nice idea.
      Wouldn’t it cancel in los tho?
      If it was for 4sec on cast it would make it easier.
    • Baphomet
      Baphomet
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Actually, if the circumstances allow it, my burst combo is blastbones, degeneration, ice comet, then accelerated drain - when cast in that order, all the burst goes off roughly at the same time (depending on the distance to the target and the drunkiness of blastbones).

When it all lines up, it is very potent and one of the most satisfying burst combos of all classes to pull off.

You might have to use 2x drain to finish off the target.

But yeah, magcros are seriously lacking in other areas, and that's a shame because the class is very rewarding to play when it works.

The dev team has actually made a class with a solid foundation - they just need to tweak it to get it to work.
      - The Psijic Order
      - TKO
      - Dominant Dominion
      - The Noore
    • ThePhantomThorn
      ThePhantomThorn
      ✭✭✭✭
      Actually, if the circumstances allow it, my burst combo is blastbones, degeneration, ice comet, then accelerated drain - when cast in that order, all the burst goes off roughly at the same time (depending on the distance to the target and the drunkiness of blastbones).

When it all lines up, it is very potent and one of the most satisfying burst combos of all classes to pull off.

But yeah, magcros are seriously lacking in other areas, and that's a shame because the class is very rewarding to play when it works.

The dev team has actually made a class with a solid foundation - they just need to tweak it to get it to work.

Yep
      When the necro class was announced I was so exited.
      I love the aesthetic put its so hard to put into practice.
      The hilarious thing is they said that necro would be op at launch but they would nerf it down.
      And yet here we are
    • Artorias24
      Artorias24
      ✭✭✭✭✭

So basicly your whole burst combo is using one class skill wich doesnt work in most of the Situation and that combo can also be used by a magden.

Necro should feel unique and our only reliable burst/kill Potential comes from non class skills.

Good work ZOS :heart:
    • ThePhantomThorn
      ThePhantomThorn
      ✭✭✭✭
      Literally just did a bgs and like 1% of my blastbones actually hit 😭😭
    • wheem_ESO
      wheem_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Offense-oriented Magicka Necromancers were terrible when Elsweyr first released, then became decent in unorganized fights without dedicated healers with the Scalebreaker patch, but are about to become fairly bad again. The "generic" Magicka DOTs being fairly strong (though nowhere near what some people try and claim) allow the class to have passable damage on the live servers, and the Blastbones/Meteor/Vamp Drain burst combo works pretty well when you have the DOT pressure running.

With the significant nerfs to DOTs (and the Skeletal Mage), along with a lack of improvements to the Necromancer's class-based offense, I just don't see us/them doing very well next patch. Even on the live server it's basically last place whenever healers are involved; the power of DOTs really plummets then, and the burst combo is significantly less reliable than what a number of other classes have access to.

Still
      That forces you to play a vamp.
      While it works it doesn’t change that the class stun sucks.
      Tho I will try that.
      Imagine it with hulk smash 😈
      On live, you're generally better off with Meteor instead of the Colossus. There are certain situations where the Colossus can really shine, but it'll frequently get completely countered by a single dodge roll. Even when combo'ing with a stun, you'll likely only get 1 tick of the damage against decent players (assuming they're not out of stamina), which means 3 seconds of Major Vulnerability...1 of which will be "wasted" for your own damage-dealing, due to an enemy dodge roll.

If the current PTS changes go through as they are, I suppose there may be a decent argument for using the Colossus over Meteor, at least in situations where the opponent(s) don't have much/any access to cleanses. Meteor will still give you more raw damage when properly combo'd with a CC, but an un-cleansed Major Vulnerability may be able to make up for it in some cases.
    • Royalthought
      Royalthought
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh, Dk has one of the best gap closers in the game via leap. (Granted it’s an ult.) That In addition to chains and awesome cc puts dk in a different category in this comparison.

As for necro they literally have nothing in terms of mobility and no instant cc. If they do move tethers are LoS liabilities. Their burst is rng (blastbones). Their mediocre attack pet got nerfed.

As of right now it’s an ult class with some decent heals. They need a lot but fixing blastbones is key.
    • Maulkin
      Maulkin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I think Totem gets way too much hate, the criticism of it is OTT. It's a really good skill and you can get used to playing with the delay. It has some really obvious weaknesses, like being terrible against highly mobile or ranged targets if you plan to coordinate burst. It is however a really strong on the defensive phase with the pulsing fear and AoE minor protection. And it is brilliant in the offensive phase against groups. I think the melee one being instant instead of pulsing would be an interesting change to be honest, for solo play, though I would probably still use the remote one for any group situation.

That is also in my experience the best single target combo. If you play solo or duo that's the best combo you can hope for. However Splitting Trap, Blastbones, Totem, Colossus is the best AoE damage you can put in a group vs group push. It's up there with Warden and the Permafrost + Fissure combo.

In fact these too classes work extremely well together. And they will complement each other much more when Permafrost loses its AoE stun next patch. A Permafrost + Fissure + Totem + Colossus push will give you Major and Minor Protection while debuffing opponents with 70% snare, Major Breach, Major Vulnerability and an unblockable AoE stun. Very potent combo.

Mag classes already have that option, it's just behind the paywall of Summeset and it's called Race Against Time. I've been using RAT since day one on Mag Necro and it's magnificent for getting you out of tight spots. Snare/Root purge with 2" immunity and 4" of major Expedition all in one GCD is immense for getting out of trouble. And since it's not a weapon skill you can slot it in any configuration. Try it.

I think the biggest problems with the class are the:
      1. unreliability of Blastbones
      2. bugs with the Mender and
      3. uselessness of the Arcanist

Sort those and we have a proper strong class.

Edited by Maulkin on October 10, 2019 10:51AM
      EU | PC | AD
    • ThePhantomThorn
      ThePhantomThorn
      ✭✭✭✭
      Maulkin wrote: »
      I think Totem gets way too much hate, the criticism of it is OTT. It's a really good skill and you can get used to playing with the delay. It has some really obvious weaknesses, like being terrible against highly mobile or ranged targets if you plan to coordinate burst. It is however a really strong on the defensive phase with the pulsing fear and AoE minor protection. And it is brilliant in the offensive phase against groups. I think the melee one being instant instead of pulsing would be an interesting change to be honest, for solo play, though I would probably still use the remote one for any group situation.

That is also in my experience the best single target combo. If you play solo or duo that's the best combo you can hope for. However Splitting Trap, Blastbones, Totem, Colossus is the best AoE damage you can put in a group vs group push. It's up there with Warden and the Permafrost + Fissure combo.

In fact these too classes work extremely well together. And they will complement each other much more when Permafrost loses its AoE stun next patch. A Permafrost + Fissure + Totem + Colossus push will give you Major and Minor Protection while debuffing opponents with 70% snare, Major Breach, Major Vulnerability and an unblockable AoE stun. Very potent combo.

Mag classes already have that option, it's just behind the paywall of Summeset and it's called Race Against Time. I've been using RAT since day one on Mag Necro and it's magnificent for getting you out of tight spots. Snare/Root purge with 2" immunity and 4" of major Expedition all in one GCD is immense for getting out of trouble. And since it's not a weapon skill you can slot it in any configuration. Try it.

I think the biggest problems with the class are the:
      1. unreliability of Blastbones
      2. bugs with the Mender and
      3. uselessness of the Arcanist

Sort those and we have a proper strong class.

I agree that the delay can be good.
      But can you ever land it against good players?

But the main issue is blastbones never hits when you need it. It should just jump immediately.
      Also REALLY don’t want to spent another 100 hours levelling mages guild 😭
    • Maulkin
      Maulkin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      agree that the delay can be good. But can you ever land it against good players?

Yeah, when they are in a group and value sticking together as more important the eating up some ground effects you certainly do. And even 1-on-1, if the opponent is a melee build what option do they have other than step into your Totem and take the stun?

Horses for courses. If you value single target reliable stun as more important, you should take Drain hands down. If you value defence and group utility highly, then you should take Totem.
      But the main issue is blastbones never hits when you need it. It should just jump immediately.

You mean Psijic? It takes about 6 hours on a maxed horse.You'll need it for Temporal Guard anyway.
      Edited by Maulkin on October 10, 2019 12:02PM
      EU | PC | AD
    • ThePhantomThorn
      ThePhantomThorn
      ✭✭✭✭
      agree that the delay can be good. But can you ever land it against good players?

Yeah, when they are in a group and value sticking together as more important the eating up some ground effects you certainly do. And even 1-on-1, if the opponent is a melee build what option do they have other than step into your Totem and take the stun?

Horses for courses. If you value single target reliable as more important, you should take Drain hands down. If you value defence and group utility highly, then you should take Totem.

You mean Psijic? It takes about 6 hours on a maxed horse.You'll need it for Temporal Guard anyway.

I mean for meteor. Psijic is easier. I like most form better than rat. the speed lasts for longer and it helps to alleviate pressure
    • Maulkin
      Maulkin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Horses for courses. If you value single target reliable as more important, you should take Drain hands down. If you value defence and group utility highly, then you should take Totem.

I mean for meteor. Psijic is easier. I like most form better than rat. the speed lasts for longer and it helps to alleviate pressure

Mistform's very good. Though you move a lot faster with RAT because you can sprint, don't underestimate that.

You need Mages Guild for Degeneration anyway, it's too good to pass up along with those passives. 2% mag regen, 2% max magicka, Major Sorcery, good ranged DoT. And you might need Magelight and Scalding Rune for any PvE content as well. It's a no brainer to grind Mages Guild for any new mag char, even more than Psijic in my opinion. Just bite the bullet and go do it, you won't regret it.

Edited by Maulkin on October 10, 2019 12:03PM
      EU | PC | AD
    • ThePhantomThorn
      ThePhantomThorn
      ✭✭✭✭

Mistform's very good. Though you move a lot faster with RAT because you can sprint, don't underestimate that.

You need Mages Guild for Degeneration anyway, it's too good to pass up along with those passives. 2% mag regen, 2% max magicka, Major Sorcery, good ranged DoT. And you might need Magelight and Scalding Rune for any PvE content as well. It's a no brainer to grind Mages Guild for any new mag char, even more than Psijic in my opinion. Just bite the bullet and go do it, you won't regret it.

Rank 4 is one thing, but rank 10?
      And I have diff chars for pve.
      Not here 2 complain about mages guild tho
    • sabresandiego_ESO
      sabresandiego_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I thought mag necro sucked for high level pvp bgs until I encountered one last night who really impressed me. He was a vampire utilizing vampire drain and mist form very often.

I think being a vampire is an absolute must for high level mag necro pvp now.
      Ali Dreadsabre -Necromancer
      Ali Sabre -Nightblade