The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Soul strike and its morphs are useless

Centurionax
Centurionax
✭✭✭
So instead of casting an 175ultimate ability over 6 seconds i could just spam jabs over 6 seconds and it would result in more damage but aoe.
The only thing this ult can shine with is that its undogeable and u cant miss it.(But gets los a lot)
In every 1v2 1v3 1vX scenario this ult is totatly useless.
And even in 1v1 scenarios you dont even have to block it any more every build with just a bit of healing can survive it.
I dont get why it got changed, the old version was not bad, it was a good option against medium armor builds but any decent player would survive it.
The new one is just ***, for 175 singel target channel you would expect to destroy a player but in reallity you hit like a dog whos pissing against a tree.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    175 single target channel does not mean you should destroy a single target. The old version was overpowered against medium builds, mainly due to the fact that it was used against medium armor solo specs in xv1 situations.
  • Centurionax
    Centurionax
    ✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    175 single target channel does not mean you should destroy a single target. The old version was overpowered against medium builds, mainly due to the fact that it was used against medium armor solo specs in xv1 situations.

but only bec its overpowerd against 1 armor type means it shoul get nerved into oblivion?
    And in xv1 siutations all ultimates get used.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

but only bec its overpowerd against 1 armor type means it shoul get nerved into oblivion?
    And in xv1 siutations all ultimates get used.

Except apart from the previous Soul Assault, every other ultimate either requires you to be in my face, exactly where I want you for my counter burst or if it is ranged like Meteor/Ballista, it will have easy counters, without the need of situational dependence of LoS.

A good medium armor user will never be caught in a position where a random pug's AoE ults like DBoS will decimate them and single target ultimates are all dodgeable. On the other hand, dealing with a back zerger's Soul Assault is a death sentence for non-stamblades without available LoS, as blocking will kill the medium armor's mobility advantage meaning guaranteed death in a Xv1 situation.

Medium armor is 1/3rd of all armors. Soul Strike is 1 in 25+ ultimates. I would rather have a zergling ultimate useless than be a hard counter to a whole armor type, cause there are so many other options. Plus the concept of hard counter is bad design.
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    susmidts the op is talking about the effectiveness of soul assault, as it's current state, it is the most useless ultimate in the game, it doesn't do any damage, medium armor or not is not the question, the majority of people running around with med and light armor know how to block regardless of whether you like to block or not, this is the main counter to this ulti, plus you only have to do it for 2s the rest of damage barely tickles, this ultimate is 100% useless against anyone who has some basic knowledge on how to defend themselves as (opposed to other way more effective ranged ultis that you can use to successfully do damage after a stun such as meteor) , hence why I personally used to use it as an execute, a finisher, but now days not only you don't do any damage with this ulti (don't be fooled by the tooltip) you can't even execute someone with it, in fact using it makes you extremely vulnerable as the other player will simply kill you as you are trying to execute them with it even if you are at 100% and they are 30%, an ultimate at 30% hp is supposed to finish you, soul assault is not even capable of doing that because of the massive 2s additional cast time, I believe that 22% damage increase is not enough to compensate for 2s cast time and I'm not the only player with such observation, especially as self heals got massively buffed last patches.
    Edited by Hamboot on September 30, 2019 5:07PM
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the current soul assault is like shooting a water hose at people. It should do slightly less damage than arrow barrage
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul Strike needs to become some sort of mag version of Onslaught. Max resists counter.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good medium armor user would also not just straight up die because of a soul assault in open field.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol and ballista is fine... these devs are clueless.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about medium armor, but I wear light armor in pvp and I have never died to soul assalt in a 1v1. Just block and heal at the same time. The ultimate was crap before and is crap now
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You realize you suppose to die in Xv1 situations anyway, right? You are not Superman to fight against 5 or more decent players, beat them all and be the master of everything...

And also you realize all the YouTube 1vX videos are against the trashiest players of the community, right?...
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I found some use for the soul shatter morph because I use it as an execute by casting it for two ticks and canceling the rest for the 5k explosion but compared to before it sucks ass. I really loved it too for being a low cost single Target ult. But zergs love to cry
    Dude Where's My Guar?
  • Centurionax
    Centurionax
    ✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Lol and ballista is fine... these devs are clueless.

balista is not a channel thats why its better than soul asoult
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ballista deals more damage, breaks the cloak during full duration (yes it can see through cloak and invis), is also undodgeable and what's most important doesn't have to be channeled.

Awesome standardisation. Soul strike got simply deleted. Even old one was very risky to use in duels, it opened you for counters because 4s when you face good burst class can end in your death.

I don't mind almost double cost increase but nerfing it's burst at the same time was lame
    Edited by Mayrael on October 1, 2019 9:12AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • ebix_
    ebix_
    ✭✭✭✭
    useless ? well it's how every skill in this game supposed to be ... give devs some time .

• Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS need to do something about this ulti it is 100% useless and futile to use it, and makes you in a very dangerous situation.
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe add an execute phase like at 25% hp that increase the dmg by 50%? to make this ulti dangerous and not 100% useless, a freakin joke of an expensive ulti
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Ballista deals more damage, breaks the cloak during full duration (yes it can see through cloak and invis), is also undodgeable and what's most important doesn't have to be channeled.

Awesome standardisation. Soul strike got simply deleted. Even old one was very risky to use in duels, it opened you for counters because 4s when you face good burst class can end in your death.

I don't mind almost double cost increase but nerfing it's burst at the same time was lame

The issue with making soul strike as good as say ballista is every magicka build can and will slot it because its 100% offensive and players love damage more than anything in this game which isn't healthy gameplay where as ballista atleast requires a certain weapon to be be slotted and more than likely it is a back bar weapon.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calboy wrote: »
    Mayrael wrote: »

The issue with making soul strike as good as say ballista is every magicka build can and will slot it because its 100% offensive and players love damage more than anything in this game which isn't healthy gameplay where as ballista atleast requires a certain weapon to be be slotted and more than likely it is a back bar weapon.

It won't be as good as ballista because ballista is not channeled and soul strike will never be. The biggest disadvantage of soul assault was always cast time, during 4s you can land 2 dizzy onslaught and executioner, while the someone casting it on you is disabled or he wastes ult.

Soul assault like many other things has been overnerfed, instead of slight adjustments they have dropped on it almost double cost and increase in channel time by 50%. Yeah typical ZOS: nerf was successful as nobody uses this skill anymore, just like when it could be interrupted. Let's limit even more magicka ultimates.

As a magblade I can choose between:
    Soul Harvest with a cast time.
    Soul tether with a cast time.
    Meteor with 3s wind up.
    Eye of the storm with 3s wind up.
    And soul assault with 6s channel.

Pretty awesome huh?
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge