The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How the hell do I play Magicka?

• Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I just have to say, this is genius and makes me want to finish my sorc healer.
    Weird, this is one of those things that I always just took for granted.
    IMO it just follows naturally from the specific requirements of the (largescale) healer role. Although a smallscale healer also needs excellent mobility.

BTW, good luck with your Sorc healer - I found mine a lot more fun to play than my magplar healer, even though Sorc's class heals are quite lacking for group healing (no class HoT, for a start).
    Personally streak/bol does just fine when kiting. From your description it sounds like you primarily use dark deal to kite or run from a large number of opponents. I think ima stick with dark exchange
    There are 2 different aspects of the same issue at play here:

One is that in this particular role, when you need to run, you REALLY need to run. Fast.
    A decent healer needs to stay close to the front of the group - so when it's time to retreat, you are now on the wrong end of the group!

The other thing is that keeping up with the group and maintaining the desired positioning takes quite a toll on your stamina pool, especially if you stop to rez anyone. (a healer normally should not be rezzing others, but in a PUG it's often a requirement anyway)
    Streaking everywhere is not an option, it gets expensive quite fast and you are already burning through a lot of magicka just casting the heals and buffs.

From what I've noticed, many PUGlings seem to be quite happy to sprint away their entire stamina pool - catching up with them can be quite a task!
    (they also tend to die quite easily when CCed, probably because they have no stam left from all that sprinting, but that's another story entirely)

And as I've already mentioned, if you are stuck in combat and don't have any means of obtaining Major Expedition and infinite stamina for sprinting, you are well and thoroughly hosed.
    Edited by Major_Lag on September 27, 2019 1:53PM
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    13-14k stam and tripots should be enough. Just be conservative with your roll dodges and blocks.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Major_Lag wrote: »
    If you can, run a sword and shield build or even twohanded or duel word of you have to. Heavy attacks from those weapons give you so much more stam than you’d expect on a mag toon. Some champion points in tenacity will help with this
    On a magsorc, Dark Deal will give you all the stamina you will ever need, and then some more :)
    It's also a pretty decent burst heal, which is important if you don't want to be using pets.

Wait, you’re saying you run dark deal instead of dark exchange on a magsorc? How long have you been playing magsorc? Does this work well for you? Downsides? I know the benefit is good stam sustain but I use dark exchange and tri stat food. This allows me to stack more into damage so I can crutch on exchange for mag sustain
    Ah right, I forgot to mention that I normally play as healer - mag sustain is not an issue with a proper healer build, so naturally Dark Deal is the only option that makes sense in that case.

This works quite well for me in openworld Cyro, because when you need to "strategically reposition" you just Streak/BoL x2 or x3, Dark Deal, Boundless, and then just RUN. :)

I've been running that kind of setup for a total of about a few hundred hours, and it has been working very well for me thus far.
    Using Witchmother's (HP+mag+mag regen) and 3x Hakeijo enchants on armor, in CP PvP.
    With Dark Deal, that's more than enough max stamina if you are playing the build correctly.

(edit)
    To clarify - with Boundless and Dark Deal you can sprint pretty much everywhere, all the time.
    Stamina builds can only dream of such mobility.
    In particular, the Dark Deal stamina restore over time is NOT disabled while sprinting, it keeps ticking!

This is also the reason why it's great to have those 3 abilities slotted in Cyro (Dark Deal, Boundless and Streak/BoL) - when you invariably get "stuck in combat", you can still move quite fast even without a horse.
    And as a healer, you WILL be stuck in combat ALL. THE. TIME.

Dark Exchange has always struck me as more of a PvE DD/healer sustain aid; IMO stamina is just too important on a mag character in PvP to be spending it on casting abilities.
    If it works for you in PvP, that's great - but I prefer the enormous mobility that Dark Deal provides :)

Personally streak/bol does just fine when kiting. From your description it sounds like you primarily use dark deal to kite or run from a large number of opponents. I think ima stick with dark exchange

I’d give it a shot first imo as a suggestion. I usually die when I’m out of stam as a pvp healer, I’m imagining being able to dodge roll and break free more, but of course use what works for you best.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned the psijic skill "Race Against Time" yet? Pretty sure that would help with breaking free and mobility.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned the psijic skill "Race Against Time" yet? Pretty sure that would help with breaking free and mobility.

It helps yes, but it doesn’t prevent stuns or fears, just snares or immobilizations.

It’s also a 3k cost for 4 second duration, which means you’d have to devote 1500 magicka regen to cast it every 4 seconds.

As mag there’s no avoiding it; you’ll need to block, dodge roll and break free.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 30, 2019 11:50PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It helps yes, but it doesn’t prevent stuns or fears, just snares or immobilizations.

It’s also a 3k cost for 4 second duration, which means you’d have to devote 1500 magicka regen to cast it every 4 seconds.

RAT is still quite good, because Elder Snares Online. You can't break free from snares...

In fact, RAT is so good that I miss it on my magsorc - no bar space to slot it, sadly.
    I get my Major Expedition from Boundless, and with light armor I really need the resist buffs from it, so it has to stay.

Aside from that, with a magicka build you need to be blocking as much of the blockable CC as possible. Save roll dodge for the heaviest hits.
    Keep up a HoT on you at all times (use Radiating from resto backbar if you don't have a good class HoT) and shield up when needed.
    Use smart movement and LoS to minimize incoming damage.
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LuxLunae wrote: »
    Shacklebreaker, Amber Plasm, Prismatic armor enchants, and tri-resource food. You don’t need to do all of these, but trying a couple will help.

Prismatic? why i gotta pay for OP glyphs? Why I gotta lose mag recov ?
    Play a Dunmer
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

RAT is still quite good, because Elder Snares Online. You can't break free from snares...

In fact, RAT is so good that I miss it on my magsorc - no bar space to slot it, sadly.
    I get my Major Expedition from Boundless, and with light armor I really need the resist buffs from it, so it has to stay.

Aside from that, with a magicka build you need to be blocking as much of the blockable CC as possible. Save roll dodge for the heaviest hits.
    Keep up a HoT on you at all times (use Radiating from resto backbar if you don't have a good class HoT) and shield up when needed.
    Use smart movement and LoS to minimize incoming damage.

Try Chudan.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Chudan.
    Good point.

Although on my magsorc I'd rather stick to Boundless, and Streak/BoL when snared - and use another monster set which provides more utility.
    Especially since Boundless is one of the best NB detection abilities in the game - and one that actually works reliably.