Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How the hell do I play Magicka?

LuxLunae
LuxLunae
✭✭✭✭✭
I am a stam only player because I like my break free/roll dodge pool to be in the same pool as my skills...

Now the most fundamental problem I am having while playing magica is how do I

Roll dodge and break free with little amount of stam? I don't want to do that dumb shield stuff... or rely on resto staff...

I want to be lake a stamina player but just magicka... What is the best way to do it?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shacklebreaker, Amber Plasm, Prismatic armor enchants, and tri-resource food. You don’t need to do all of these, but trying a couple will help.
  • LuxLunae
    LuxLunae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shacklebreaker, Amber Plasm, Prismatic armor enchants, and tri-resource food. You don’t need to do all of these, but trying a couple will help.

Prismatic? why i gotta pay for OP glyphs? Why I gotta lose mag recov ?
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Using bright throats together with spring loaded Infusion (tri stat drink) can be Pretty nice, shackle also helps and what I like a lot is the high elf passive, can be real useful for pvp, getting stam for using a class ability every 6 seconds helps stam Management, should also use tri pots if you can but you obviously cant use roll dodge and break free anywhere close to stam so you will have to use class stuff to compensate like cloak or streak.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LuxLunae wrote: »

Same reason if you want to costantly use magicka utility skills on a stamina build?
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you can get 15k stam with 1k stam recov you are good to go and wont have trouble breaking free or dodging occasionally. You get get this with tri food, being a vamp and putting 49 in the stam recov CP. As a mag build you wont be relying on dodging for damage mitigation rather using abilities like a HoT, light armor shield, your class burst heal.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    15k stam, tripots and careful management. Dodge and block essentials, sprint judiciously, and always have enough stam to break free. Sometimes you choose to eat an attack and heal after to preserve your stam pool. I've gone as low as 12k but I was leaning heavily on mist form and 2H heavy attacks for stam. (And mist form has heavy drawbacks.)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why dodge roll? You don't as a mag character. You may very occasionally block, but you don't dodge.

You use HoTs, shields, and RAT (or other snare removal) to survive. Kinda why mag characters always complain about the Stam vs mag balance
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The secret to playing Magicka is doing dumb *** like relying on shields and using a resto staff.

But don’t tell anyone. It’s Top Secret.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why dodge roll? You don't as a mag character. You may very occasionally block, but you don't dodge.

You use HoTs, shields, and RAT (or other snare removal) to survive. Kinda why mag characters always complain about the Stam vs mag balance

I dodge roll all the time on all my mag toons. It’s cheaper than break free, you just can’t string them together while the debuff’s up that increases their cost.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 26, 2019 11:30AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its definitely a rude awakening when you switch from stam to mag chars especially in pvp..
    But you asked how to get more stam on a mag char then complain about an OPTION given wtf
    😂😂
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jadarock wrote: »

Its definitely a rude awakening when you switch from stam to mag chars especially in pvp..
    But you asked how to get more stam on a mag char then complain about an OPTION given wtf
    😂😂
    This.

So I don't know why I'm answering, but you don't want shields and you don't want to build into stam recovery, play a magplar and use Restoring Focus. Instead of roll dodge, use Mist Form. Or just keep playing stamina. Seems you like that better.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mag characters depend more on shields/resto staff and less on dodge roll. You dodge roll a little, but not as a primary defensive tactic. It's a different mindset than Stam. This is why mag main players lose their minds when shields get nerfed.
    Edited by The_Lex on September 26, 2019 12:42PM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you play as a ganker there's no reason not to run full prismatic on all your armor. That goes for both magicka and stamina builds imo
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you just want to play stamina... Maybe get an addon that makes stamina bar blue? Should do the trick.
  • SipofMaim
    SipofMaim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put champion points in tumbling and learn to love major expedition skills instead of sprinting. If you have to break free a lot you're going to die. Try to avoid that.

• GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an idea not a dope magbased spec that plays similar to Stam. not spilling beans though.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yep, Amberplasm+Shaklebreaker can be a pretty decent combo. I can sustain just fine on my Breton Templar with exactly that combo, all spell damage glyphs and Skoria monster sets. Tri-stat food or even blue food on CP, recovery one on no-CP.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah i'm the complete opposite of you. I have always played mag character and don't know how people use the same pool for skills and dodge roll and break free and still sustain. I prefer to have my mag skills and only have to worry about stamina when I need it to block, dodge roll, and break free its easier to manager that way for me.

But hey what kind of world would we live in if everyone ran the same thing, would be a pretty boring game. So just stick to stamina if you don't like the options of magika
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have an idea not a dope magbased spec that plays similar to Stam. not spilling beans though.

I tried something like that, it worked well but only tried it in no-CP. 5m-2L pelinals and bright throat, 2h/flame staff. 3x infused weapon power glyphs. Use vigor and mag abilities.

Making a MagDK now trying a different angle. Stam return on using an earthen heart (or whatever it’s called) ability on a mag toon is pretty dope stam sustain. I’m hoping enough I can use quick cloak with DW BRP with jorvlunds to take advantage of all the ridiculous buffs DKs get. For fun and to be really OP I’m thinking I’ll try it with the minor protection, heroism and x pot.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 26, 2019 2:08PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • RighteousBacon
    RighteousBacon
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can, run a sword and shield build or even twohanded or duel word of you have to. Heavy attacks from those weapons give you so much more stam than you’d expect on a mag toon. Some champion points in tenacity will help with this
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just play magplar and put on living dark.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can, run a sword and shield build or even twohanded or duel word of you have to. Heavy attacks from those weapons give you so much more stam than you’d expect on a mag toon. Some champion points in tenacity will help with this
    On a magsorc, Dark Deal will give you all the stamina you will ever need, and then some more :)
    It's also a pretty decent burst heal, which is important if you don't want to be using pets.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

Unless you play as a ganker there's no reason not to run full prismatic on all your armor. That goes for both magicka and stamina builds imo

I agree , tri glyphs are pretty much bis in pvp for most builds. But they are expensive, so many people can’t afford them.

Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • RighteousBacon
    RighteousBacon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major_Lag wrote: »
    On a magsorc, Dark Deal will give you all the stamina you will ever need, and then some more :)
    It's also a pretty decent burst heal, which is important if you don't want to be using pets.

Wait, you’re saying you run dark deal instead of dark exchange on a magsorc? How long have you been playing magsorc? Does this work well for you? Downsides? I know the benefit is good stam sustain but I use dark exchange and tri stat food. This allows me to stack more into damage so I can crutch on exchange for mag sustain
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Wait, you’re saying you run dark deal instead of dark exchange on a magsorc? How long have you been playing magsorc? Does this work well for you? Downsides? I know the benefit is good stam sustain but I use dark exchange and tri stat food. This allows me to stack more into damage so I can crutch on exchange for mag sustain

Does that work in BGs where stuns are thrown on cooldown? I’d be worried that bacon would get burnt.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a stam only player because I like my break free/roll dodge pool to be in the same pool as my skills...

Roll dodge and break free with little amount of stam? I don't want to do that dumb shield stuff... or rely on resto staff...

I want to be lake a stamina player but just magicka... What is the best way to do it?

Magsorcs Ball Lightning is basically a magicka version of roll dodge. The difference is that you can't animation cancel a skill with it so it takes a GCD.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't! You stay Stamina and not have to worry about anything and YOLO DiZzYiNG SwInG into OnSlAuGhT and kill other EZ PZ. All while dodge rolling and breaking free.

ESO is very bias against Magicka based playstyles. 99% of the OP streamers are streaming with their OP AF Stamina specs for a reason.
    Edited by FearlessOne_2014 on September 26, 2019 9:44PM
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah right, I forgot to mention that I normally play as healer - mag sustain is not an issue with a proper healer build, so naturally Dark Deal is the only option that makes sense in that case.

This works quite well for me in openworld Cyro, because when you need to "strategically reposition" you just Streak/BoL x2 or x3, Dark Deal, Boundless, and then just RUN. :)

I've been running that kind of setup for a total of about a few hundred hours, and it has been working very well for me thus far.
    Using Witchmother's (HP+mag+mag regen) and 3x Hakeijo enchants on armor, in CP PvP.
    With Dark Deal, that's more than enough max stamina if you are playing the build correctly.

(edit)
    To clarify - with Boundless and Dark Deal you can sprint pretty much everywhere, all the time.
    Stamina builds can only dream of such mobility.
    In particular, the Dark Deal stamina restore over time is NOT disabled while sprinting, it keeps ticking!

This is also the reason why it's great to have those 3 abilities slotted in Cyro (Dark Deal, Boundless and Streak/BoL) - when you invariably get "stuck in combat", you can still move quite fast even without a horse.
    And as a healer, you WILL be stuck in combat ALL. THE. TIME.

Dark Exchange has always struck me as more of a PvE DD/healer sustain aid; IMO stamina is just too important on a mag character in PvP to be spending it on casting abilities.
    If it works for you in PvP, that's great - but I prefer the enormous mobility that Dark Deal provides :)
    Edited by Major_Lag on September 27, 2019 3:26AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ah right, I forgot to mention that I normally play as healer - mag sustain is not an issue with a proper healer build, so naturally Dark Deal is the only option that makes sense in that case.

This works quite well for me in openworld Cyro, because when you need to "strategically reposition" you just Streak/BoL x2 or x3, Dark Deal, Boundless, and then just RUN. :)

I've been running that kind of setup for a total of about a few hundred hours, and it has been working very well for me thus far.
    Using Witchmother's (HP+mag+mag regen) and 3x Hakeijo enchants on armor, in CP PvP.
    With Dark Deal, that's more than enough max stamina if you are playing the build correctly.

(edit)
    To clarify - with Boundless and Dark Deal you can sprint pretty much everywhere, all the time.
    In particular, the Dark Deal stamina restore over time is NOT disabled while sprinting, it keeps ticking!

This is also the reason why it's great to have those 3 abilities slotted in Cyro (Dark Deal, Boundless and Streak/BoL) - when you invariably get "stuck in combat", you can still move quite fast even without a horse.

Dark Exchange has always struck me as more of a PvE DD/healer sustain aid; IMO stamina is just too important on a mag character in PvP to be spending it on casting abilities.
    If it works for you in PvP, that's great - but I prefer the enormous mobility that Dark Deal provides :)

I just have to say, this is genius and makes me want to finish my sorc healer.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • RighteousBacon
    RighteousBacon
    ✭✭✭✭

(edit)

Personally streak/bol does just fine when kiting. From your description it sounds like you primarily use dark deal to kite or run from a large number of opponents. I think ima stick with dark exchange