The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

"Play the way you want", and how Update 24 contradicts this.

Uryel
Uryel
✭✭✭✭✭
So, appartently, if this news post is to be believed, the new emphasis is placed on returning "play the way you want' to the game. Not that it should make everything optimal, but it should be viable. Allright, on paper it sounds like a good idea. I'm a huge fan of the idea. Now, after reading the patch notes, and keeping that news post in mind, it seems to me that Update 24 contradicts that philosophy on many aspects.

I haven't read the whole thing, I admit. I stopped reading after one too many "WTF are they thinking" moment.

- Nightblade assassination skill line gets another nerf. A minor one, I'll admit, but overall and updates after updates, this skill like no longer fits its name. Its top skill is now a defense skill, and now teleport strike will deal less damage. To quote that news post, the "power fantasy" aspect of that skill line has nothing to do with its actual effect. A skill line called "assassination" should provide powerful tools for spike damage, not defense tools and even weaker than before DoT. What happens to Soul Shred in the Siphoning line is actually a very good idea, but the whole Assassination skill line is a mess now, and this is making it even slightly worse.

- Sorcerer Bound Armaments : What the actual heck ? In that news post, it's mentionend as a very good exemple of "Successful ability design [with] a healthy relationship between the triggering method and effect behavior". So, if I read that correctly, this is the future of class skills. Now how does it work ? It is "unnecessarily complex compared to abilities with similar effect behaviors, or misaligned with the power fantasy of the character"... Yep, quoting again. They're doing exactly what they're trying to avoid.

But what made me stop reading and almost gave the urge to uninstall the game right away :
Summon Unstable Clannfear (morph):

This morph’s damage now scales off your Max Stamina, rather than Magicka.

Now, dear ZOS, tell me, how exactly does that fit the "play the way you want" bill ? That's the exact opposite of "play the way you want". For exemple, I have a magicka sorcerer that uses the clannfear. Now you're telling me that, after all the nerfs the pets recieved, I'll simply have to remove that power who perfectly fits the sorcerer's "power fantasy" because suddenly it's a stamina ability ? That's not "play the way you want" at all. You know what would make it "play the way you want" ? Make ALL summons scale from magicka or stamina, whichever is highest. It's simple, and it's exactly what a poster child for "play the way you want"' could be. What you're doing there in update 24 is "play the way WE want".

So, anyway, if you fine folks have similar moments where you were thinking "that contradictst he idea of playing the way we want", feel free to share.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not what "Play the Way You Like" means.

Relevant quote from the article: "One of our mantras for ESO is "play the way you want," and in this case, it means any class can fulfill any role (tank, dps, support/healer). To better achieve this ideal while also maintaining the unique fantasy flavor of each class, all class kits need to include the basic tools required to fulfill each role. To be clear, our goal is for every class to be viable, not necessarily optimal, in any role without heavily relying on non-class skill lines."

It doesnt mean that every skill will be useful for every possible build. In the case of the article, it means that you'll have the tools to tank, DPS, or heal/support from your class toolkit.
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 29, 2019 7:17PM
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »

Now, dear ZOS, tell me, how exactly does that fit the "play the way you want" bill ? That's the exact opposite of "play the way you want". For exemple, I have a magicka sorcerer that uses the clannfear.

Generally if your magic based char doing clannfear honestly it won't effect your character in the slightest.

The heal is scaled based on total HP <As this is a *tank* pet btw>. It was *never* designed with you in mind. They just made it do stam based dmg scale since it did physical only damage. The pet has not changed at all in intended use.
  • Jem_Kindheart
    Jem_Kindheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    ( they mentioned again that "Necromancers use magicka" in the article, which I keep finding more funny the more they try to remind us... Since Necros released, in fact in the PTS before release, magcro dps underperformed compared to stamcro by significant margins.)
    Longtimer since beta, the usual. 26 CP toons. ~1700cp on main account, 1000cp on 2nd account. Endgame-ish lol. Most Vets / some HM's cleared.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesnt mean that every skill will be useful for every possible build. In the case of the article, it means that you'll have the tools to tank, DPS, or heal/support from your class toolkit.

I get that. And I still say they're doing the opposite. It's especially true with the Nightblades' Assassination skill line. Having kits for everything is one thing, having proper designation for them is not bad either.

Also, it's rather easy to open skills to more versatility with simple adjustments, such as making pets scale off your highest ressource, for instance. They've already done that for some skills, and quite frankly, they should do it for EVERY SINGLE SKILL.
    karekiz wrote: »
    Generally if your magic based char doing clannfear honestly it won't effect your character in the slightest.

The heal is scaled based on total HP <As this is a *tank* pet btw>. It was *never* designed with you in mind. They just made it do stam based dmg scale since it did physical only damage. The pet has not changed at all in intended use.

I know it's a tank pet. That's why I use it : to tank stuff in the stead of my weak character so that he doesn't have to die. It doesn't mean it has to be a pet used by a tank character, though ;)

Functionnaly, it will remain the same, except that it will deal less damage now. Which tops the major pet nerf that the previous update brought. I fail to see how that's an improvement.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want to be a magicka sorcerer with a clannfear pet? The game is not stopping you. Go ahead.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So dont use clannfear? Change on volatile pet or tormentor, claanfear was never pet for magsorc.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not what "Play the Way You Like" means.

Relevant quote from the article: "One of our mantras for ESO is "play the way you want," and in this case, it means any class can fulfill any role (tank, dps, support/healer). To better achieve this ideal while also maintaining the unique fantasy flavor of each class, all class kits need to include the basic tools required to fulfill each role. To be clear, our goal is for every class to be viable, not necessarily optimal, in any role without heavily relying on non-class skill lines."

This is very accurate. Especially for how Zos intended "Play the Way Your Like" from the start. For this thread it seem more that it is just not to their liking.
    Edited by idk on September 29, 2019 8:05PM
  • Alidel
    Alidel
    ✭✭✭✭
    The damage of clannfear was laughable before and it remains laughable after change.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But what made me stop reading and almost gave the urge to uninstall the game right away :
    Summon Unstable Clannfear (morph):

This morph’s damage now scales off your Max Stamina, rather than Magicka.

Make ALL summons scale from magicka or stamina, whichever is highest.

THIS...

Not just summons, but ALL the abilities that are now forcing a choice between Magicka and Stamina that no one wants to have to make. Why don’t they just do it?

If they are so set on all classes being able to do all things, then isn’t this the way to go about it? There is a new civil war brewing, and that is Magicka v. Stamina......so there is the instant solution.

We have enough bad feeling between PvE and PvP players. We do not want more .

• karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know it's a tank pet. That's why I use it : to tank stuff in the stead of my weak character so that he doesn't have to die. It doesn't mean it has to be a pet used by a tank character, though ;)

Use the Matriarch, you will be pleasantly surprised. Unless your running around with 35K+ Hp I suppose, in which again. Nothing changes. The heal still costs <Rightly so> Magic to cast.

Your right though it can be used by a non tank character. Just like a bow can be used by a 64 point magic light armor only character.
    Edited by karekiz on September 29, 2019 8:26PM