Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Unstoppable Spinning Toon again

• Cathrisa
    Cathrisa
    Soul Shriven
    After today's update an update from me on the situation:

The screen still keeps spinning every time I start up the game. I still need to uncheck and check the settings in
    System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy each time.

I discovered that the ESO listed in the above settings window was that of the PTS-client. I changed that. And now at least by launching the game directly and not using the launcher I don't get a spinning screen. That is, start ESO using
    Zenimax Online > The Elder Scrolls Online > game_mac > pubplayerclient > eso

I guess it is taking a deep breath and working on with this broken piece of software for now, hoping for yet another update.
  • Mainman99
    Mainman99
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I tried to be constructive and calm but now Im tired of your blatant ignorance to the state of the game for OSX players. You keep ignore our problems, spinning toon every update, still no FPS fix, no fullscreen.

We are paying customers too.

Please just tell us you don't care about the OSX client or FIX THE CLIENT!

Edit: Spelling
    Edited by Mainman99 on June 3, 2019 6:39PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine the laughing stock they would become in the gaming world if they unknowingly had to use a Mac in one of their Twitch livestreams. :D

Dude, have you seen their streams?

The level of technical f***muppetry and incompetence is awesome. Poor sound (if there is indeed sound), zero gaming coordination. They’re like something a first time streamer would put out secretly as a test. They had to spend half of one simply putting their latest ad on repeat. It’s like watching goldfish trying to breath out of water (kind of amusing but something alive is dying in front of your eyes). No wonder they’ve quietly canned them.

It’s a level of technical inability that just isn’t possible on a Mac.

On a serious note though - zero Mac fixes in update 5.0.7 (June 3).
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update 5.0.7

Now you can't even fix it using the system preferences

no matter what I try I have spinning toon.

It's making me vomit
  • nCats
    nCats
    ✭✭✭
    Another patch, another wasted opportunity, amassing job, ZOS. As always it seems. Fingers crossed. Today new macOS announcement.

Oh, we already have the needed backends, like moltenVK. I think people are working on the DXVK for Mac, just a matter of time.
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    nCats wrote: »
    Another patch, another wasted opportunity, amassing job, ZOS. As always it seems. Fingers crossed. Today new macOS announcement.

Oh, we already have the needed backends, like moltenVK. I think people are working on the DXVK for Mac, just a matter of time.
    Yes, but then truth is that having a 3rd party solution of course is not the same as native support. Needless to say that molten does API translation which just by itself may impact i.e. performance. Plus also complexity - currently when bug happens it may be either Molten or Metal. Establishing who is responsible for introducing a bug for that reason may also take more time.

• Vivifier
    Vivifier
    ✭✭
    Every time I login I spin. Unticking and ticking again eso launcher from privacy accessibility solves it, but thats way to tedious to do every time. Please stabilise elsweyr for all the users and then fix the mac client and the performance all aboard ( sometime soon though ). I haven's picked elsweyr yet because i cant risk on fps/performance and get disappointed. Anyway some communication for the mac client would be welcome. cheers
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    From: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/bwdb0r/welcome_to_the_elsweyr_update_22_aua/

"Can you please fix the quality of life Mac bugs please? Spinning toons, Not quitting cleanly, Hanging Machines (sleeping laptop w game running, sometimes just Safari+Windowed Mode)."

from ZOS_GinaBruno via /r/elderscrollsonline sent 12 hours ago
    Sounds like all these issues are known and being worked on.

from ZOS_RichLambert via /r/elderscrollsonline sent 13 hours ago
    Will follow up with the team on these issues!
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A) lovely to see ESO communicating via Reddit rather than their own forum

B ) I have given up using the launcher and now boot up directly from the game file. The launcher is so bad that simply having it on the desktop causes the game to spasm

C ) at this point I’m really only interested in actions and resolutions to issues. The idea that these are new issues or somehow unknown to the hierarchy of ZOS is ridiculous

D ) kicking everything into the long grass of “happy daze in 2020” isn’t going to reassure anyone. Not least when the new update of the Mac OS comes out in the Autumn and the launcher becomes totally incompatible.
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    Warning: Threads regarding the Launcher not being compatible with future OS releases will be closed by ZOS, since they are unconstructive.
  • albatrossj5
    Have done as you have said to fix spinning . Still happened every time I log in and while playing
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    Same Problem.
    The Mac client gets worse with every update
    And no problems have been fixed for months

- spinning toon
    - Fps Problems
    - Full Screen Not working
    - V-Sync / fps Limiter not working
    - Crashs Problem
    - I have to force quit eso

And no Information from ZOS
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »
    I'm getting this spinning every time I log in, as well as sometimes after playing a while and then switching characters. It seems to be whenever the system preferences window reverts to locked.

There also seems to be a related issue this time around where you cannot click and hold on your character to rotate them - like on the character select page or in the clothing station where you should be able to look at the sides and back of your character. They simply don't move while you're holding down the mouse button, and then as soon as you let go they spin wildly for a moment and then do an emote.

Everything that Aelthwyn says is true, I have the same issues.

Dear ZOS, we wouldn't mind (much) if we ran the fix ONCE and it worked and STAYED fixed. But having it happen Every. Single. Time. we launch the game is not acceptable.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ssdd

Uncontrollable spinning toon after update 5.0.8

Changing permissions DOES NOT resolve the issue

Using the actual game file as opposed to the launcher DOES NOT fix this issue

Will ZOS gotfa and fix this?
  • Kara
    Kara
    ✭✭
    A reminder about changing permissions in Accessibility:

DO IT WHILE THE GAME IS RUNNING.

Yes, the whole thing sucks. But at least this will let you play the game.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    The troubleshooting steps listed below can help resolve the camera spinning under MacOS Mojave.
    1. Open "System Preferences"
    2. Select "Security & Privacy"
    3. Select the "Privacy" tab
    4. Scroll down and select "Accessibility" on the left
    5. Unlock the menu to allow changes
    6. Either add or uncheck and recheck "ZeniMax Online Studios Launcher"

For the best results, follow these steps after you've logged into character select. You may need to click into the game after checking the option before you lock the menu for the change to take effect.

even when following these steps, the spinning happens every time the game loads.
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    This would be the right time for Gina Bruno to write one of her helpful "we are aware of the problem and working on a fix" statements.

Problem is, they are aware of the problem and have no friggin clue how to fix it. All their Mac developers left, there is no way they can get this to work.
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried running the ESO app, instead of running the game via launcher? It seems to work OK for me (I know it's not a fix!)
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    Carmina wrote: »
    This would be the right time for Gina Bruno to write one of her helpful "we are aware of the problem and working on a fix" statements.

Problem is, they are aware of the problem and have no friggin clue how to fix it. All their Mac developers left, there is no way they can get this to work.

They aren't entirely (or even mostly) to blame. The problem is that the MacOS API is fundamentally flawed in the way permissions are granted to apps. It does not allow for updates to carry over permissions except when done via the App store, and they aren't nearly fine-grained enough that everything gets lumped into either "disk access" or "other", the latter being Accessibility Controls. Everything worked fine until they changed the API and pulled the rug from under developers' feet. Granted there are security benefits to doing so, but I still don't think they (Apple) have it right.

Edited by Deeprave on August 17, 2019 6:52AM
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Except that other games don't have this problem. World of Warcraft launches from the Blizzard launcher, requires permissions, and then remembers that setting no matter how many updates are made. Nothing in Steam has yet had this problem. ESO is the only application I've seen that can't remember from version to version that it's been given accessibility permissions.
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • Mainman99
    Mainman99
    ✭✭✭
    Since the carousel after patch is still here I just wonder if its a feature and not a bug.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    RE: The spinning wheel permissions only need to be set once, if you are launching directly from the ESO client, since it is a 64 bit program.

The game launcher is still 32 bit, so that seems to be the reason that the MacOs Mojave permissions need to be set every time you use the launcher to open the game.

We are hoping that when ZOS releases the 64 bit launcher for the Apple CatalinaOS, the permissions for the launcher will only be need to be set once as well.

Most of us have been simply opening the game direct from the ESO client, except right after patches or if an update/repair is needed. then it's necessary to use the launcher.

For those that are new on this thread, here is a screenshot of MAC system prefs where you can set permissions:

ckfzgzin4vuu.png

Hope this helps.

Stay positive.

Keep hope alive! :)
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opened the new PTS, spinning bug is STILL there.

/facepalm
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

/facepalm

It's not a matter of game code, it's a problem with the executable (eso.app). To be honest, with the developers' pace, they might start working on it after update 27 when the performance improvements are competed..
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

/facepalm

It's not a matter of game code, it's a problem with the executable (eso.app). To be honest, with the developers' pace, they might start working on it after update 27 when the performance improvements are competed..

It did not have this problem before. In fact I think there was a similar bug in Murkmire that they fixed rather quickly. So what has changed since then?

• Jharym
    Jharym
    It's back. First log in after updating the launcher was fine, no spin. Second log in, the usual problem.
    Fix above still works though. Back to the app then. Not very impressed.
    Edited by Jharym on October 17, 2019 10:39PM
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    The troubleshooting steps listed below can help resolve the camera spinning under MacOS Mojave.
    1. Open "System Preferences"
    2. Select "Security & Privacy"
    3. Select the "Privacy" tab
    4. Scroll down and select "Accessibility" on the left
    5. Unlock the menu to allow changes
    6. Either add or uncheck and recheck "ZeniMax Online Studios Launcher"

For the best results, follow these steps after you've logged into character select. You may need to click into the game after checking the option before you lock the menu for the change to take effect.

What about Catalina. WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT THAT!?
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    @ishtr

If the troubleshooting steps posted above are not stopping your camera from spinning, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.

In other words. No, you do not have a 'real' fix
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    One more Workaround option: Not using the launcher and starting eso.app directly. The location of eso.app is:
    /Applications/Spiele/The Elder Scrolls Online/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso.app

If eso.app is in your privacy/accessibility setup then your can use reveal in finder to find it.

I've been trying, and this will not work on Catalina. Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible.
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    updated today logged in, and no spinning so far running on Catalina with the lates launcher too.
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.