Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bot or Not? - Toon engaged with a gathering node but not doing anything

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Are they a bot that has a full inventory and is therefore "stuck", waiting for an operator to resume control?
The node cannot be engaged with, presumably because the toon is presently engaged with the node.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 5, 2019 7:37AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unknown really.

If you're suspicious report them and ZOS can check logs and information on their end and ban if it does turn out to be a bot.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a two years old daughter I sometimes happen to leave the game mid action, so you never know if it's really a person that went AFK and then got caught in real life chores.

As Turelus wrote, report them and let ZOS find out if they're bots or not.
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am more concerned why players try to run to a node that I am clearly already at and am harvesting. too many of you kiddies do this in craglorn to be bots. don't blame lag.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xerikten wrote: »
    I am more concerned why players try to run to a node that I am clearly already at and am harvesting. too many of you kiddies do this in craglorn to be bots. don't blame lag.
    Because loot. If someone isn't fast enough to click the note or their server request isn't as fast as yours then you'll get the mode.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Because loot. If someone isn't fast enough to click the note or their server request isn't as fast as yours then you'll get the mode.

The lag is such that when actively farming, I have already pressed the button to mine and yet you are still able to beat me to it. Just go on to the next node.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

The lag is such that when actively farming, I have already pressed the button to mine and yet you are still able to beat me to it. Just go on to the next node.

Which really makes no sense and I'm not surprised they had a guild bank duplication bug because of this shoddy programming.
    When you have given feedback to the user that an interaction has been accepted, it must go through.
    On the other hand, if they allow this, bot trains will all be able to harvest the same node with every bot in the train.
    Extremely shoddy programming on ZOS's part.

Other examples: I have seen my Lightning Flood yellow AOE circle on the ground and later... no lightning flood. WTH?
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 6, 2019 5:42AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Dusk_Coven in this case I am talking about other players that have beat me to a node. The lag is so great that I cannot see how they beat me to it, like 1-2 seconds.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I'll run up to a node when no one else is around, and it will dissolve into nothingness when I try to harvest it, as if it had been harvested by someone else shortly before I got there but the server was still displaying a ghost image of it-- or as if there's an invisible player standing there who harvested it a fraction of a second before I tried to interact with it.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Dont_do_drugs
    Dont_do_drugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    albesca wrote: »
    Having a two years old daughter I sometimes happen to leave the game mid action, so you never know if it's really a person that went AFK and then got caught in real life chores.

As Turelus wrote, report them and let ZOS find out if they're bots or not.

well that person would be disconnected form game after 15 minutes. if its a bot stuck in that situation it might not get a disconnect since the bot is still pressing keys? but tbh i dont know how that game reacts in that case, as youre not actively doing sthg....idk. but i would assume a bot wouldnt get a disconnect.

Get Stuff like this (but not this stuff)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"I have too admit. People leading trade guilds in this game are quite stupid. Not stupid like fools, but stupid like leaders.
    They can only bla-bla and waste gold on feeding their ego. I am disappointed."

Egal, wie gut du Schach spielst, die Taube wird alle Figuren umwerfen, auf das Brett kacken und herumstolzieren, als hätte sie gewonnen.

Arkadius Trade Tools
    Modular framework, now open for authors who want to add own tabs.

My Donation (Arkadius' Trade Tools Addon)
    First external ATT tab contribution.

Port to Friend's House Addon
    Check out the new Port to Friend's House library and port to contributers houses:
    Deutsch | English

• buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are standing right on top of the node for an unusual length of time, it's almost certainly a bot. I see these all the time, and see them in the training process on specific nodes, usually nodes off the beaten path on the edge of areas.

What I can't figure out is how they are made invisible after getting trained on a particular node, and how this doesn't set off some server side flagging mechanism that results in banning?
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't bots turn on auto-looting? That would then fail right away and not keep things tied up.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll run up to a node when no one else is around, and it will dissolve into nothingness when I try to harvest it, as if it had been harvested by someone else shortly before I got there but the server was still displaying a ghost image of it-- or as if there's an invisible player standing there who harvested it a fraction of a second before I tried to interact with it.

I believe that nodes and containers are actually shared with multiple instances, and when you see something like that, someone in another instance has just farmed it.

You’re probably going to say I’m crazy, but I posted a video to my YouTube channel of my main in Dreloth Tomb where the containers were mysteriously emptying themselves around her. No other players were in that room.

If you don’t believe me, go to Shimmermere Monastery and stand in the first room upstairs on the left side of the building (facing away from the front door) where all those clanky chests are. Open all of the containers but leave some unlooted and wait a few seconds. You can hear them being opened and they become empty with no one else around.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that nodes and containers are actually shared with multiple instances, and when you see something like that, someone in another instance has just farmed it.

You’re probably going to say I’m crazy, but I posted a video to my YouTube channel of my main in Dreloth Tomb where the containers were mysteriously emptying themselves around her. No other players were in that room.

You aren't crazy, it definitely happens, together with the "someone else is using that" message you get sometimes when no one else is around. Not sure if it's due to instances sharing nodes, but it makes more sense than my more paranoid speculation, that there is a special add-on or macro that allows players to "claim" nodes in a wide area before they actually pick them.

As a picker of -many- nodes in this game the old fashioned way of running up to them, when there is another "good" farmer in the area, sometimes all the nodes in a part of the map just "turn off" and I get the "someone else" message over and over. It is probably just a coincidence, but that particular thing of all the nodes "turning off" has never happened to me unless there is another speedy farmer competing for them in the vicinity.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those bots are programmed to even be able to go the bank. I was in a bank a while back and there were like 8 level one toons all with stupid names and all dressed identical.

I reported it.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don’t believe me, go to Shimmermere Monastery and stand in the first room upstairs on the left side of the building (facing away from the front door) where all those clanky chests are. Open all of the containers but leave some unlooted and wait a few seconds. You can hear them being opened and they become empty with no one else around.

Not claiming anyone is crazy, but with regards to places like Dreloth tomb and many delves - the urns, boxes, backpacks, and other containers are all instanced to you. Locked treasure chests and heavy bags are not, however. So you can be in Dreloth tomb with ten other people and you'll all be able to loot the urns at your own pace and nobody going ahead of you will "get your stuff".

Now, I've found that some delves share a cooldown of loot inventory, or something, as I've logged in on a new character, looted a delve (not Dreloth), then traveled to Dreloth and all the urns will be empty and all subsequent delves I travel to will also have nothing but empty containers until some time has passed (the programmed "cooldown" time I suppose). Also, I've partially looted the urns of Dreloth, left the tomb, then immediately reentered and all the urns I had left full were now empty. I don't think it's a matter of another player, either present or in another instance, competing for the same loot, but rather a UI glitch of some sort.

Another example of this I found was the bank in Vulkhel Guard, Auridon. I used to loot the dressers, wardrobes, and unlocked lockboxes around the banker room. I'm pretty sure the inventory is instanced for each person, but if you interact and "look" inside them without removing the items, after a few minutes they will all open up and be empty whether or not someone else has taken the stuff or not. I tested the instanced loot by having several guild mates all look inside the same dresser in immediate succession and we all saw different loot inside. None of us took anything out, and after a minute or two all the dressers made the sound effect of being opened and they presented themselves as empty.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have heard about the container cooldown, and have definitely seen that in action.

I think the definition of “instanced” is perhaps misunderstood. I definitely see rank 10 mats when I go farming, but if a low-level character hits the node before me, the rubedite disappears, so clearly we are sharing that instance. He undoubtably got iron ore, though.

Have you ever seen a rubedite node and gone to farm it and only got iron ore instead? Someone rank 1 took the regulus and left it.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Afk while checking the node content maybe?
    Edited by Dark_Lord_Kuro on September 15, 2019 4:31PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Afk while checking the node content maybe?

Possibly. Except I've seen the same toon many times stuck like that and for a long time. Like over a minute. I mean, c'mon each node has maybe 2-3 types of items max. And to shuffle your inventory to make space you'd need to release the node and your toon would go into opening-a-bag animation.
    I was in the zone grinding dailies there over several days and they keep showing up in that same way.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been wondering why I have had the first "kill the guy" mission with EVERYTHING being pre-looted when I got in the main house. It was really odd. (Dark Brotherhood line)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sat at a node(there is an area where you can stand in one spot and get wood, ore, and jewelry all without moving) when doing something particularly mind-numbing at work. The every few minutes click keeps me sane.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Not claiming anyone is crazy, but with regards to places like Dreloth tomb and many delves - the urns, boxes, backpacks, and other containers are all instanced to you. Locked treasure chests and heavy bags are not, however. So you can be in Dreloth tomb with ten other people and you'll all be able to loot the urns at your own pace and nobody going ahead of you will "get your stuff".

Now, I've found that some delves share a cooldown of loot inventory, or something, as I've logged in on a new character, looted a delve (not Dreloth), then traveled to Dreloth and all the urns will be empty and all subsequent delves I travel to will also have nothing but empty containers until some time has passed (the programmed "cooldown" time I suppose). Also, I've partially looted the urns of Dreloth, left the tomb, then immediately reentered and all the urns I had left full were now empty. I don't think it's a matter of another player, either present or in another instance, competing for the same loot, but rather a UI glitch of some sort.

Another example of this I found was the bank in Vulkhel Guard, Auridon. I used to loot the dressers, wardrobes, and unlocked lockboxes around the banker room. I'm pretty sure the inventory is instanced for each person, but if you interact and "look" inside them without removing the items, after a few minutes they will all open up and be empty whether or not someone else has taken the stuff or not. I tested the instanced loot by having several guild mates all look inside the same dresser in immediate succession and we all saw different loot inside. None of us took anything out, and after a minute or two all the dressers made the sound effect of being opened and they presented themselves as empty.

I have noticed, while looting Dreloth or other places with many containers, if you loot one, but don't take everything out, it will open and be empty after you've opened about 6 subsequent containers. So, after I've opened around 6 containers, when I open the next, I'll hear, and see if I'm looking at it, the first container opening (if it still had loot in it). I suppose it has to do with memory, so that the game doesn't have to retain data for half-opened containers? You can get stuff out of opened containers even after opening a few others, but after opening a certain number of subsequent containers, the remaining loot will disappear and the container will be empty.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Feric51 wrote: »

I have noticed, while looting Dreloth or other places with many containers, if you loot one, but don't take everything out, it will open and be empty after you've opened about 6 subsequent containers. So, after I've opened around 6 containers, when I open the next, I'll hear, and see if I'm looking at it, the first container opening (if it still had loot in it). I suppose it has to do with memory, so that the game doesn't have to retain data for half-opened containers? You can get stuff out of opened containers even after opening a few others, but after opening a certain number of subsequent containers, the remaining loot will disappear and the container will be empty.

I still think it’s other players myself. Once you open it and don’t take all, it frees it up for others to take. This is in Dreloths or other areas requiring a loading screen.

However, I’ve noticed when I hit the north wayshrine in Elsweyr when doing dragon dailies and leave the urn contents there, it will remember them if I try looting later (like 30 minutes or so) and the exact same items are in there as before. Strange.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA