Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mount Skills why 60?

kinguardian
kinguardian
✭✭✭✭
I don't know if I put this in the right spot on the forum :* if not my apologies.

I have wondered many times why the mount riding speed, stamina and capacity go to 60.
If it is at its max should it not be 100%

Who knows why this is like this?

I just find it weird and it irritates me which is stupid but I can not help it.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that is weird, but then I wouldn’t want the tedium to take longer than it does. :/ I wish riding worked like other skills and there are already more rewarding and fun incentives to log in every day IMHO.

And 60 is a strange max number, although 50 would make the most sense to be in line with other skills, unless it really is % based in which case 100 should be max, yes.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I put this in the right spot on the forum :* if not my apologies.
    I have wondered many times why the mount riding speed, stamina and capacity go to 60.
    Who knows why this is like this?
    I just find it weird and it irritates me which is stupid but I can not help it.

Because it's daily so 60 fits nicely into 2 months, multiply by 3 and you get 6 months or 1/2 a year to fully level your mount.

There was time when 3/6/12 was a lot more popular than 10 based counting ...
    shades.gif

Edited by SirAndy on September 7, 2019 5:20PM
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It used to be 50 and there were 4 types of horses, a cheap one with 0 base stats and then one of each with +!0 to a stat. Those horses could either reach 60 of a stat or just end up with more than the regular one and when all mounts were standardized they went with the max possible value to balance the new system around.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    It used to be 50 and there were 4 types of horses, a cheap one with 0 base stats and then one of each with +!0 to a stat. Those horses could either reach 60 of a stat or just end up with more than the regular one and when all mounts were standardized they went with the max possible value to balance the new system around.

This.

It's not a percentage, it's a skill line, so the cap was 50 like most skill lines, with an innate bonus of 10 points for some horses (the black, paint and bay ones). It also used to be seperate for each mount.

When they merged them all into the character's riding skills they didn't want anyone to lose points so they made 60 the highest and then the highest stat you had was the one which carried over. (So if you had 3 horses - one at 10 speed, one at 33 speed and one at 52 speed they'd all have 52 speed after the update.)

(And in case anyone's wondering they merged them because they were going to introduce the crown store and knew mounts would be one of the things sold - players would be much less likely to buy a new mount if it meant starting the training all over again.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still find log-in 180 day to enjoy a full upgraded month is stupid af.
    1st game where I saw that, main reason why I hate created an alt.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Firerock2
    Firerock2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    who cares?
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

(1) Excessive speed can have unintended consequences, such as zooming past mobs in overland without getting any aggro at all because you're out of range before they fully aggro.

(2) ZOS likes numbers to line up. That is why Provisioning V is Level 50 and Provisioning VI is also Level 50, because they didn't want to make more levels when everything else is capped at Level 50. Unreasonably inflexible, IMO.
  • kinguardian
    kinguardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys all your answers made sense actually :) and I do get it now.

Funny how you sometimes can wonder about things and it doesn't make sense until someone explains it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why 60?

Originally we had 50 upgrades that could be made top each mount. You could purchase from the stable a speed mount or a bag mount or a stamina mount. Each of those mounts came with a base of 10 to the respective stat.

So if we put every thing into speed the mount would be +50 speed. If we got the speed mount and put everything into speed we could get a +60 for speed. But this was specific to the mount. If you wanted an inventory mount you had to get a second mount and swap to what you wanted at the time.

With 1.6/2.0 (iirc) Zos made mount skills per character instead of per mount and merged all of the training done on all mounts per character. They had to do +60 for each stat since some people had bought the special mounts mentioned above. But now we could train mounts up to +60 for each stat.

That is the history and why it is +60.

I am sure someone has said this much better than I have.
  • kinguardian
    kinguardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    @idk you explained it very clear, thank you I appreciate that. With all the answers it makes sense now to me.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    60 is an entirely arbitrary number. So is 180.

It creates a 60 day grind to get a full-speed horse, and a full 180 day grind to complete all the training, which is all the more painful and frustrating because deep down you know that it's entirely arbitrary.

Or, you could buy some of those spiffy riding lessons from the crown store. Look, when you use them they go all shiny and make a happy noise! It's a wonder they don't create a cloud of little sparkly twinkly stars as well, it must make the devs so happy when people use them. [sigh]
    PC EU