The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Huge CPU Issues with my MacBook Pro

tylerhalversonb16_ESO
I read a lot of other peoples problems with Mac performance, and I am really at a loss as to why I'm having such huge CPU issues. My memory seems to be going great, never any problems with that, but when I check activity monitor my % CPU activity for ESO is 98-160+% Which doesn't seem possible. (kernel_task is usually taking up 10-12% as well) I really don't know what is happening here. My OS is completely up to date, I run ClamXav often and have been keeping everything but the game running. If anyone else has had these issues or could help me troubleshoot, it would be greatly appreciated. I think it is what is contributing to my constant crashing.

These are the specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro, Retina, Mid 2012
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: Retina LCD
Resolution: 2880 x 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

• KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First off, you have 4 physical processor cores, so your maximum processor load is at 400%. 100% just means that one core is fully active, or two cores at 50%, or three at 33%, and so on. You could get programs like iStat Menus and have a detailed look at what your CPU threads are up to, but beware that with Hyperthreading, the CPU presents 8 virtual cores to the OS. It's not that fascinating to watch over any length of time in my opinion.

I did some testing, and running around in Daggerfall past European prime time yields about 120-130% load on my Core i7, so your numbers are not extraordinary.

Unlike other, and older, MMOs, ESO was build right from the start with multiple CPU threads in mind, taking full advantage of them when displaying scenes with lots and lots of toons in AvA.
  • tylerhalversonb16_ESO
    Alright, thanks for clearing that up. I wonder why I seem to be having massive problems in PvP, with crashing and lag on low settings than other people with lower specs seem to be having. I guess I'll have to keep trying. I don't know why others have no crashing problems in PvP. Regardless, thank you.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    As @KhajitFurTrader says that just the normal display for the multiple cores.You can watch how the cores are working via Activity Manager > CPU Usage or History.

Generally the Mac client is handling the CPU load better than the PC client currently, spreading the load across the cores evenly while the PC client is tending to overload one or two cores and under utilise the others.

Check this post with some details and graphics.

What are your in game graphics settings, in particular your Retina setting?
  • tylerhalversonb16_ESO
    The game settings aren't supporting retina last I checked.
    The most I can get is 1440x900.

I can usually play on decent settings but I still get disconnected from time to time, but PvP is certainly a no-go. For PvP my settings are:
    V-Sync: Off
    Anti-Aliasing: Off
    Texture: Medium
    SubSampling: High
    Water Reflection: Low
    Shadow: Low
    Particle Density: Low
    View Distance: 40
    The final 6 options are all turned off as well.

Sorry for the delay. It's nice out so I'm enjoying the weather, lol.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game settings aren't supporting retina last I checked.
    The most I can get is 1440x900.

I can usually play on decent settings but I still get disconnected from time to time, but PvP is certainly a no-go. For PvP my settings are:
    V-Sync: Off
    Anti-Aliasing: Off
    Texture: Medium
    SubSampling: High
    Water Reflection: Low
    Shadow: Low
    Particle Density: Low
    View Distance: 40
    The final 6 options are all turned off as well.

Sorry for the delay. It's nice out so I'm enjoying the weather, lol.
    The game supports Retina display but doesn't allow the highest scaling setting as the graphics card would not be able to support the pixel loading and why it is limited to 1440 x 900 which is what Apple recommends in this case.

Texture Quality has the biggest impact on memory use. Also View Distance has a moderate impact. They are the main ones effecting memory directly.

Others will impact performance especially Shadow Quality. Lowering other settings as required.
  • tylerhalversonb16_ESO
    Alright, thank you all for the input. I guess crashing is something I'll just have to deal with for the time being. Do the settings above seem about right for what I want to do?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright, thank you all for the input. I guess crashing is something I'll just have to deal with for the time being. Do the settings above seem about right for what I want to do?
    As above, Texture Quality is the main use of memory. Setting it to Low for you may reduce by another 1/3 and reduce frequency of crash. Reducing View Distance also will improve memory some. The other settings are not going to effect memory., they are more for FPS performance.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 14, 2014 6:00PM
  • tylerhalversonb16_ESO
    Alright, thanks.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright, thanks.
    No problem. Hope it helps to explain it a bit more clearly.