The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PSA: CLEAN YOUR PC!!

Marcus684
Marcus684
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I've been complaining about ESO performance for a long time, and even dropped my sub months ago because of it, vowing to not spend another penny on this game until ZOS fixes it.

Today I finally got around to buying some canned air to blow the dust out of my computer, and holee mutha what a difference. Whereas Cyrodiil (NA/PC/Kaal) had been a slide show for me during keep battles when the server is pop-locked, today it ran smoother than it has for me in months. I could see every skill animation, the terrain passed smoothly, and every player on screen appeared immediately. I checked the patch notes and there’s no mention of performance fixes so it looks like a simple cleaning drastically improved my game performance.

Now before you accuse me of white knighting, there is still plenty of skill lag and bugs for ZOS to address. I couldn’t get Forward Momentum to fire a LOT for instance.

tl;dr clean your system. It may help.
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Canned air? Bro you are doing it wrong. There are electric air compressors, both cordless and corded, designed for electronic cleaning. You will never need to wait to clean your PC again. Keep that beast fresh and free from dust.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BigBragg wrote: »
    Canned air? Bro you are doing it wrong. There are electric air compressors, both cordless and corded, designed for electronic cleaning. You will never need to wait to clean your PC again. Keep that beast fresh and free from dust.

Links?
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigBragg wrote: »

Links?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=electric+duster&i=computers&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either way; it does help if you haven't but it's not everything
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That doesn't do anything unless the dust was causing your hardware to overheat.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you cpu and gpu get very hot or throttle you might also look into installing software like msi afterburner that lets you regulate your fans yourself...

if i have automatic fan control on they are all over the place and my cpu runs 75-80 degrees on eso, when i have a manual setting its more quiet, smooth and never reaches 70 degrees....
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That doesn't do anything unless the dust was causing your hardware to overheat.

well the dust can clog the fans and make them spin not as well anymore which might result in cpu / gpu run hotter which in turn might make them throttle
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your PC was so dirty it was causing over heating issues then damn dude, take care of your ***.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is silly on so many levels. We're past the days where you would blow in your Nintendo cartridge to make it work.

Cleaning your drive would have more chances of helping than that unless you really didn't take care of your gear and your heatsinks are all clogged.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... what you're saying is ZOS needs to get some compressed air for the servers? :trollface:
    Edited by Turelus on September 5, 2019 7:31AM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • chexor
    chexor
    ✭✭✭
    PC is not working on magic air cans. Reason why your pc run slower might be dust, but that only kept pc from boosting properly or if there was alot of dust it might be even thermal throttling. All of these cases can be checked by simply looking at your GPU and CPU temps.
    P.S. most of the people keep their PC clean, but if you get to the point that your PC thermal throttle due to not being clean you are doing something wrong.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    chexor wrote: »
    PC is not working on magic air cans. Reason why your pc run slower might be dust, but that only kept pc from boosting properly or if there was alot of dust it might be even thermal throttling. All of these cases can be checked by simply looking at your GPU and CPU temps.
    P.S. most of the people keep their PC clean, but if you get to the point that your PC thermal throttle due to not being clean you are doing something wrong.

Correction. Most people who post on forums like this one keep their PC clean. I can assure you that a good chunk of everyone else isn't even aware of how much of a problem dust can become.

Not that this thread will do them any good considering that they are also unlikely to be reading the forums.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."