Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Loremaster's Archive - Dragons in the 2nd Era

ZOS_SarahHecker
ZOS_SarahHecker
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

We're pleased to announce that we're going to test bringing the Loremaster's Archive back as a semi-regular series! To kick it off, we'd like to ask for your questions pertaining to Dragons in the 2nd Era. After Friday, we'll select five questions that we'll put to our Loremaster, and then publish the answers to the website.

We know that traditionally we answer more than five questions, but we're hoping that by making these articles more manageable for all involved, we'll be able to do them more often. Each edition will also feature a different "theme" that we'll answer questions on!

Please limit your questions to no more than three lines as well--we love it when your questions are in character, but please be concise. Thanks!
Edited by ZOS_SarahHecker on December 18, 2019 6:35PM
Staff Post
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we ask lemon turtle to speak from the perspective from an in universe character for these questions? Say chevalier renald, a dragonguard for example?

How does kaalgrontiid and his followers connect to alduin and the dragon cult?

Dragons are sometimes depicted with four legs, is this the result of dragon's appearance being obscured overtime, or do dragons with four legs exist?

I have often seen other scholars note how all Dragons seem to be masculine, but some claim that female Dragons named Jills exist. Can you explain what Jills are?

Is there any creatures which even the feared and powerful Dragons would avoid a fight with?

-Zebendal, Scholar of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits
    Edited by Aliyavana on September 8, 2019 3:18AM
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are dragons limited and confined to Elsweyr? They have wings. The should be able to appear in any zone.

If I had wings and I was trapped/imprisoned inside a mountain in a tropical jungle along the southern coast for X amount of time, the first thing I would do upon escape, aside from burning the Elsweyr jungle down, would be to fly north towards Skyrim; and, perhaps roast a few AD-DC-EP in Cyrodiil along the way. >:)

TL;DR: Dragons would be a lot cooler if they were also present in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Darkmage1337 on September 3, 2019 6:40PM
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are dragons limited and confined to Elsweyr? They have wings. The should appear in any zone.

If I had wings and I was trapped/imprisoned inside a mountain in a tropical jungle along the southern coast for X amount of time, the first thing I would do upon escape would be to fly north, to Skyrim; and perhaps roast a few AD-DC-EP in Cyrodiil along the way. >:)

The lore books explain that the dragons under kaalgrontiid's command were interested in jode's core, a lunar artifact with great power located in the plane of jode, which required them to access them from the moon gates located in elsweyr.
    Edited by Aliyavana on September 3, 2019 6:40PM
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi loremaster ;)
    • As asked above, why are dragons limited to Elsweyr ?
    • Does the coming of the dragons coincide with that of a dragonborn, as the legend says ?
    • What about dragon priests ?
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    Why are dragons limited and confined to Elsweyr? They have wings. The should appear in any zone.

If I had wings and I was trapped/imprisoned inside a mountain in a tropical jungle along the southern coast for X amount of time, the first thing I would do upon escape would be to fly north, to Skyrim; and perhaps roast a few AD-DC-EP in Cyrodiil along the way. >:)

The lore books explain that the dragons under kaalgrontiid's command were interested in jode's core, a lunar artifact with great power located in the plane of jode, which required them to access them from the moon gates located in elsweyr.

Yeah, yeah, I completed the Elsweyr Chapter main story early on and understand the lore; however, a point still needs to be made about the fact that these god-like winged beasts would be confined to one small zone.
    For example, it makes sense for Abyssal Geysers to be confined to Summerset because Summerset is an island.
    But, dragons can go anywhere, fly anywhere. Cyrodiil, a massive near-empty zone, makes the most sense.
    And, for ZOS to limit Dragons and their legendary, important role in TES series to just the Elsweyr setting is rather underwhelming.

Having Dragons (or Daedric Titans, probably more appropriate [see: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Daedric_Titan]) fly around The Imperial City and Cyrodiil as roaming encounters (how Dragons function in Elsweyr) was a huge missed opportunity, IMO.
    Edited by Darkmage1337 on September 3, 2019 6:52PM
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • Axmalexia
    Axmalexia
    ✭✭✭
    While glancing through Temple records, I've seen mention of a dragon that goes by the name of Ahbiilok supposedly having a lair within Morrowind, and it would be in the Temple's best interest to learn more. Does this Ahbiilok survive? And what other information might there be about this Dragon other than name?

Three's Blessings,
    Inquisitor Seran
  • omnimuffin
    omnimuffin
    ✭✭
    • What's the connection between Kaalgrontiid and his 'rage' of dragons and Alduin and the Dragon Cult?
    • What prompted Kaalgrontiid to split off from the bulk of the Dragons in the Northern Lands, if they were originally part of Alduin's kingdom?
    • Given Kaalgrontiid's immense power, was he relatively far up in the Dragon hierarchy? Potentially a match for even Paarthurnax?
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do dragons choose to eat many more green quality recipes than purple ones? You would think the purple ones might taste better no?

Why have we never seen any baby dragons or dragon eggs on our travels? Think of the omelette possibilities …

What do dragons do to relax and entertain themselves when not destroying my homeland and eating my friends yes? After all they are intelligent and curious as well as being bitey and firey.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many dragons appearing over Elsweyr that it makes me wonder how any mortals could defeat the dragons in Sunspire. There should be a gaggle of them in there. Hmmm. What is the word for more dragons than one can count before dying a horrible death? Brood? Herd? Flock? Clowder?

Why are there so few dragons in Sunspire?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭
    How have the other provinces been reacting to the appearance of Dragons in Elsweyr? Has the news reached the Nords of East or West Skyrim, and if so, have they made any preparations for the possibility of the dragon infestation spreading to other parts of Tamriel?
    Edited by LickingHistSap on September 3, 2019 7:08PM
  • turlisley
    turlisley
    ✭✭✭
    Can we expect to see Dragon(s) in and upon the release of the expected and highly-anticipated ESO Skyrim Chapter in 2021, marking TES V's 10-year anniversary?
    Edited by turlisley on September 3, 2019 7:01PM
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Turlisley
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    Following my interviews with survivors of Dragon attacks during my travels in Anequina, I've come to realize that each encounter with one has been male, referring to themselves as such in their boastful shouts. Upon further research I have found very little on what a female dragon would be, only finding a few mentions in a child's bestiary and one accompanying Akatosh in the very fictional King Edward series, with some rumors that they had timeline-mending functions. This leads me to the question, what can be said about the nature of female dragons, and why are they so rare?

—Regards, Hundolin Dorn'ke, former Arcane University Scholar
    Edited by TheRimOfTheSky on September 8, 2019 8:34PM
  • TPC9000
    TPC9000
    Soul Shriven
    It surprises me that there are no known notable Draconic constructions, given the might of such beings. Was their civilisation truly so simple as to perch on hills and mountains all day, as is told in stories, or might they have created great constructs which have been long lost to us?
    Edited by TPC9000 on September 3, 2019 7:49PM
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings

- Is Nahfahlaar the same dragon as Nafaalilargus?
  • DomesticatedScrib
    DomesticatedScrib
    Soul Shriven
    Naharanji has found what are obviously dragon eggs in her travels. What is the proper way to care for them such they grow into a financially lucrative opportunity? Obviously nurturing these eggs such that they become young and ferocious would be ideal, but as others have mentioned, one never sees these juveniles in the wild.

-Legitimate Businesscat Naharanji

st7x7eo6kbur.png
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »

Yeah, yeah, I completed the Elsweyr Chapter main story early on and understand the lore; however, a point still needs to be made about the fact that these god-like winged beasts would be confined to one small zone.
    For example, it makes sense for Abyssal Geysers to be confined to Summerset because Summerset is an island.
    But, dragons can go anywhere, fly anywhere. Cyrodiil, a massive near-empty zone, makes the most sense.
    And, for ZOS to limit Dragons and their legendary, important role in TES series to just the Elsweyr setting is rather underwhelming.

Having Dragons (or Daedric Titans, probably more appropriate [see: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Daedric_Titan]) fly around The Imperial City and Cyrodiil as roaming encounters (how Dragons function in Elsweyr) was a huge missed opportunity, IMO.

You're thinking about the size of Elsweyr in terms of the game itself. In "reality" Elsweyr is massive and would take months to traverse to another province depending on where you started from.
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings, (loremaster's name goes here)!

I am most humbled to get the opportunity to write you. I personally find it hard to believe there is an on-going dragon crisis, but given the repeated news of their attacks, one would be a fool to dismiss them entirely.

As a Daedrologist my first cue is to try to find a connection between dragons and the Padomaic denizens of Oblivion, the Daedra, though after summoning an entity known as Denogorath the Dread Archivist (which almost went awry, I nearly lost my right hand!) and consulting them, I've found no connection between the dragons and Daedra, except the so-called Titans, which are supposedly just Molag Bal, the God of Schemes' improved design.

So if not in any way linked to the Daedra, just where are dragons from? And how did they come to be?

Moon and Star guide you,
    Sorcano Averion, Daedrologist
    Edited by BlissfulDeluge on November 15, 2021 11:52AM
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    The opening of the Halls of Colossus is known to have awoken the great dragon Maarselok from his slumber beneath the mountains of Tenmar. Has this event caused other, similarly forgotten dragons to return to the skies of Tamriel?

The skeletal remains of Thurvokun were recently reanimated in the mines of Fang Lair by the foul Blackmarrow Cult, his ancient bones used as a vessel for the soul of their leader. Does this imply that Thurvokun's own soul was devoured by a fellow dov at some point in the past, or could he rise again?

Are the lower levels of the Battlespire occupied by the famed Dragonne Papré during the Second Era?

In light of the recent draconic threat to the Dominion's capital in Grahtwood, is there a real risk of Elsweyr's dragon menace spilling out onto wider Tamriel in the years and decades to come?

Is there any record of Jills being sighted during the Second Era?

—Legoless, Tiger-Doyen of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits
    Edited by Legoless on September 3, 2019 8:17PM
  • mattyswaggy
    mattyswaggy
    Soul Shriven
    GreetIngs Cerum,

I'd like to ask where the Jills are at this time? Jills as in basically female dragons. Are they yet to be summoned by Akatosh to fix time?

Yours Sincerely, Renowned Scholar, Alveri Solman.
    Edited by mattyswaggy on September 3, 2019 8:14PM
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question: These dragons released on tamriel over Elsweyr will be linked with Tiber Septim raise to power in late 2nd era, and Nafaalilargus loyalty towards him? Will Dragonguard bring a clue about this?
    Edited by gepe87 on September 3, 2019 8:34PM
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naharanji has found what are obviously dragon eggs in her travels. What is the proper way to care for them such they grow into a financially lucrative opportunity? Obviously nurturing these eggs such that they become young and ferocious would be ideal, but as others have mentioned, one never sees these juveniles in the wild.

-Legitimate Businesscat Naharanji

st7x7eo6kbur.png

Thats a kwama egg.
    Why do dragons choose to eat many more green quality recipes than purple ones? You would think the purple ones might taste better no?

Why have we never seen any baby dragons or dragon eggs on our travels? Think of the omelette possibilities …

What do dragons do to relax and entertain themselves when not destroying my homeland and eating my friends yes? After all they are intelligent and curious as well as being bitey and firey.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Dragons i believe dont reproduce, but simply always existed and had no need to reproduce. I think baby dragons are not real.
    Edited by Aliyavana on September 4, 2019 1:04AM
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do the Grey-Beards think of the Dragons outbreak in Elsweyr?
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanthras79 wrote: »
    What do the Grey-Beards think of the Dragons outbreak in Elsweyr?

Adding to that, is Paarthurnax confused about the return of dragons happening in another place than he expected?
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an Imperial scholar, my sources as of late have been limited due to the... unfortunate troubles... which are currently taking place in my homeland, specifically the Imperial City, and thus the Arcane University.

Before this was the case, however, I had been spending time learning the ways of the ancient Nords, their Pantheon, their customs, their arms and armor, all of it. Ysgramor's return, the worship of Alduin, the Dragon Cult, the Dragon Wars, I'm sure most of us know what these terms mean. It has recently come to my ear that the Nibenese serving under Euraxia Tharn have encountered Dragons in Elsweyr, and this has certainly piqued my interest.

I have never come across any sources mentioning Dragons in Elsweyr. I have read books mentioning, and personally seen, the dragons of Cyrodiil, specifically the Imperial City, and I even had the chance to see a dragon skull in Valenwood, implying they might have even settled there, but Elsweyr?

Is there a reason why these Dragons are in Elsweyr, but not mentioned in the books related to the Dragon Cult? Did these dragons leave Skyrim while the Dragon Wars were raging in an attempt to escape the fury of the Nords, who could now Shout their ancient masters out of the sky through usage of the Thu'um?

Or did they perhaps fly to Elsweyr in order to further increase their power? Did they aim to overthrow Alduin? Is it my own research which is lacking on the matter, or have the ancient Nords just not kept records of these specific Dragons? Were these Dragons even related to Alduin's rule, or were they seperated when the first dragons fled Akavir? While on the matter, I have heard talk of the Euraxian Legion using these Dragons as part of their military. Has this feat truly been accomplished? Are these creatures willing to serve under the command of a human? I consider it unlikely, but the war doesn't provide me with a chance to see for myself.

I eagerly await your response,

Bruccius, Imperial scholar
    Edited by Bruccius on September 13, 2019 6:27PM
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Xarcus wrote: »
    Hi loremaster ;)
    • Does the coming of the dragons coincide with that of a dragonborn, as the legend says ?
    • What about dragon priests ?

Just to answer those two questions.
    • No it does not, as I roughly know accordingly the Dragonborn usually surfaces around the same time Alduin Returns due to being sent forward in time via an elder scroll(fragment of creation.) but there’s more: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragonborn
    • Dragon Priests do still exist in the current era and possibly further back in time as a spirit of a dragon priest can be seen story wise on the isle of bleakrock. But otherwise, you may need to see this: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragon_Cult

~Skullstachio, One of many Champion of Hermaeus Mora.
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In TES V: Skyrim I believe it is said that no dragon is truly dead unless it’s soul is absorbed by a dovahkiin, if true then does that mean that each dragon we’ve eliminated in Elsweyr (especially named ones like the sunspire trio and storyline ones) can eventually comeback if a dragon with similar resurrection powers to Alduin awakens them again? Assuming there’s no Dragonborn in our midst (which it appears there is not)

• silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why are dragons limited and confined to Elsweyr?
    To sell expansion packs, silly. :D

Either that, or Khajiit meat just tastes sweeter. Probably all the moon sugar.
  • Inari Telvanni
    Inari Telvanni
    ✭✭✭
    Honor to you and your House, serjo!

For the purposes of furthering academic research and expanding upon knowledge pertaining to this strange time period we currently live in..
    Are there such a thing as modern-era Dragons, that aren't wholly interested in death, domination and.. well, fire? Such as ones that find mortals fascinating and endearing, rather than simply inferior, duller creatures comparable to snails or flies?
    What could we possibly learn from this great race without outright killing them?
    I've heard they speak a strange, alien tongue. How come they insist on strictly speaking in the common tongue of Tamriel?

ALMSIVI in every hour,
    Telvanni Nanaru Illeryan, Kena In Training Extraordinare.
    Edited by Inari Telvanni on September 30, 2019 1:18PM
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »

There are no expansion packs in ESO, only 'Chapters.'

Expansion-packs raise level caps and make prior content obsolete. (E.g. WoW's model.)
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »

There are no expansion packs in ESO, only 'Chapters.'

Expansion-packs raise level caps and make prior content obsolete. (E.g. WoW's model.)

The CP cap has up until Murkmire been increased each patch by 30 points.

Most older PvE content (trials) is dead.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
This discussion has been closed.