Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Master Weits Why Bother

The_Boggart
The_Boggart
✭✭✭✭
All master writs so far issued to my characters are for
Sets I don't have
Crafting stations in regions I haven't visited

It should be possible to Issue master writs depending on the Game lvl (Silver, Gold)
with possibly a lower lvl of vouchers
  • Vermethys
    Vermethys
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, start by learning more motifs on your main/crafter and join a guild with a house that has set crafting stations (most trading guilds). This is probably only a problem if you have no interest in unlocking new styles or motifs.

Master Writs are very useful for purchasing research scrolls for new characters imo. I usually only do the ones that give 2-6 vouchers, the rest I sell.
    Edited by Vermethys on August 25, 2019 2:16PM
    PC EU CP1400+
    In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
    Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
    Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. All the base game stations are duplicated, in triplicate, across the zones. The 5 Alliance Zones all have access to the same crafting stations. (In other words, there's an Ashen Grip crafting station in Stonefalls, Glenumbra, and Auridon). So I'm not sure what you mean by "silver, gold" and not having access.

2. The rest are in DLC zones, which have no game level requirement.

3. You can visit any zone at any time in the game. The complaint might have been valid prior to 1-Tamriel being released when you were forced to do content in a particular order... but that is no longer the case.
    Edited by tmbrinks on August 25, 2019 2:29PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, the whole point of master writs is as a reward for people who craft--and are willing to learn all/most of the styles. I highly recommend you get the Writworthy addon (assuming you're PC), which tells you directly if you can actually make the piece. Don't expect to make master writs unless you're a master crafter (i.e. you have all the research done and motifs learned).

Second, no one schleps around tamriel to do master writs. That's what guildhouses are for. If you PST me in-game I'll invite you to my guild, which has all the stations. Or, just join any decent trade guild, they basically all have craft heaven at their guildhouses.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Once a month my master Crafter troops of to the guild hall, cranks out any master writs I didn’t sell first then dumps them all at the pick up point, much less faff
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do Jewelry Writs in a guild hall with the set stations.
    Once you have 1100 vouchers for your housing storage boxes you're done.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have the gold, use that master writ as an opportunity to purchase the motif page needed to craft it, assuming you have the research done. That’ll help you keep on track with learning the styles.

If you don’t have the research you can keep it until you do, as long as it’s unopened. Just keep that research going as fast as possible by investing skill points so you can do 3 items at once.

I do actually go out and do the master writs at the regular crafting sites, unless it’s in IC, and then I visit the guy in my guild that has every attunable station at his house.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sets I don't have

Then you are no Master.
    Come back later.

(Honestly, this is "end game" content - it takes millions of gold to learn a decent number of motifs, so this will take quite a while to know them all...)
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Imperial City has a level requirement and three crafted sets are found there.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have the gold, use that master writ as an opportunity to purchase the motif page needed to craft it, assuming you have the research done. That’ll help you keep on track with learning the styles.

If you don’t have the research you can keep it until you do, as long as it’s unopened. Just keep that research going as fast as possible by investing skill points so you can do 3 items at once.

I do actually go out and do the master writs at the regular crafting sites, unless it’s in IC, and then I visit the guy in my guild that has every attunable station at his house.

They pile up quite a bit (and soak up bag/bank space) while waiting to build those.

I REALLY want a Militant Ordinator Shield motif now, but I hate PvP and its cost is well outside my range, as just one example that has been waiting quite a while.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »

Imperial City has a level 10 requirement. That's pretty low as a requirement. At level 10 you're probably not at max level in the crafting skill lines and therefore get no master writs.
    Quid erat demonstrandum.

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They pile up quite a bit (and soak up bag/bank space) while waiting to build those.

I REALLY want a Militant Ordinator Shield motif now, but I hate PvP and its cost is well outside my range, as just one example that has been waiting quite a while.

You can find Militant Ordinator motif pages at guild traders. I just finished off my set with a combination of gold-purchased pages and some bought with AP. The gold prices are typically 50k or 100k. I think it’s a 5:1 ratio AP to gold.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »

Isn't that level 10? Considering it takes more than 10 levels to make your crafter [don't forget some motifs also have a level requirement] the gotta be level 10 to get to IC isn't a huge drawback. If you don't have a maxed crafter and know a lot of motifs, you won't be getting master writs in the first place. Add in the fact many guilds have all the crafting stations at their guildhouses, and being level 10 isn't a concern at all.
    Edited by JKorr on August 27, 2019 6:05AM
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    msalvia wrote: »
    First, the whole point of master writs is as a reward for people who craft--and are willing to learn all/most of the styles. I highly recommend you get the Writworthy addon (assuming you're PC), which tells you directly if you can actually make the piece. Don't expect to make master writs unless you're a master crafter (i.e. you have all the research done and motifs learned).

Second, no one schleps around tamriel to do master writs. That's what guildhouses are for. If you PST me in-game I'll invite you to my guild, which has all the stations. Or, just join any decent trade guild, they basically all have craft heaven at their guildhouses.

This is a big pain point for console crafters. Consulting a spreadsheet to figure out which master writs I can do is not fun. The game should display that information when you read the master writ before accepting it. It already does something similar with the pre-requisites for learning a recipe or motif.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First, the whole point of master writs is as a reward for people who craft--and are willing to learn all/most of the styles.

Except ZOS has introduced Blue Jewelry Master Writs. No motifs. Only 2 lines of research. And blue plating isn't that hard to farm.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the poster who said get the storage boxes and done. Crafting in this game can get you lots of gold in an ambient way by selling the mats from a multi crafter mat/survey/henchman factory, but ironically, crafting itself is not going to make you much more, if any more gold, than selling the raw mats. Recently furnished a house, and the margins on all those marginally interesting writ crafting recipes is dismal, way too much supply chasing too little demand.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    Agree with the poster who said get the storage boxes and done. Crafting in this game can get you lots of gold in an ambient way by selling the mats from a multi crafter mat/survey/henchman factory, but ironically, crafting itself is not going to make you much more, if any more gold, than selling the raw mats. Recently furnished a house, and the margins on all those marginally interesting writ crafting recipes is dismal, way too much supply chasing too little demand.

The reason I do daily crafting writs is to get those vouchers to get my own crafting stations, special furnishing plans, and other stuff from Rolis Hlaalu and Faustina. Housing is the end-game for me.

The more crafting motif styles you know, the more master writs you can do, and the more vouchers you can get. It’s not really about gold.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    . Don't expect to make master writs unless you're a master crafter (i.e. you have all the research done and motifs learned).

I haven't reached master crafter yet, still a lot of traits to learn, but I do master writs. I buy or farm the motifs as I need them. I use the vouchers to buy research scrolls at 3 vouchers each (5 for jewelry) and use them to speed everything up.

The one's you'll struggle with are sets that need you to have learned more traits than you have researched, even if you researched the particular trait the writ is asking for.

You can do enchanter, provisioner and alchemy writs as soon as they start to drop. They don't give many vouchers, but they're all doable, and the few vouchers soon add up to get more research scrolls you can use to research in the other crafts.

Edited by pdblake on August 28, 2019 9:05AM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pdblake wrote: »
    . Don't expect to make master writs unless you're a master crafter (i.e. you have all the research done and motifs learned).

I haven't reached master crafter yet, still a lot of traits to learn, but I do master writs. I buy or farm the motifs as I need them. I use the vouchers to buy research scrolls at 3 vouchers each (5 for jewelry) and use them to speed everything up.

The one's you'll struggle with are sets that need you to have learned more traits than you have researched, even if you researched the particular trait the writ is asking for.

You can do enchanter, provisioner and alchemy writs as soon as they start to drop. They don't give many vouchers, but they're all doable, and the few vouchers soon add up to get more research scrolls you can use to research in the other crafts.

^This^

I have used master alchemy writs to power-level my two necros and another alt. I just go buy all the writs from traders priced below my personal, arbitrary per-voucher cost, purchase the two Cyrodiil skyshard packs that represent that character's opposing alliances. This gives you enough skill points at level 3 to fully level all the required alchemy passives to effectively do master writs. Now with multi-craft, you can level alchemy in as little as 3 seconds (wastes a TON of mats) or in about 15 minutes (much more efficient use of mats) by unlocking all the reagent traits and putting skill points in the passives at 10/20/30/40.

I made a spreadsheet (on console here) with every possible master alchemy writ request, included the cheapest three reagents needed to craft it, then go through my stockpile of writs and figure out how many of each I need to make, craft everything in bulk, pop a 150% scroll and start turning them in. I think it takes around 250-ish alchemy master writs to go from levels 3-50 with the 150% scroll. Obviously would be less if done during a 100% xp event. I think I ended up with around 850 vouchers on my first character done this way since it was a mix of 5-voucher potion writs and 2-voucher poison writs.

Also, enchanting just became insanely more efficient to level with multicraft as you can craft a "stack" of purple CP 150/160 glyphs on your main, throw them in the bank, then decon them on an alt in a single click on both fronts. Haven't done this on any new characters, so not sure how many skill points you'd need to unlock the passives required for master writ completion, but it is definitely the 2nd easiest to get master writ ready for.

Provisioning is simple to level and be in a position to do master writs, but the requirement to know a bunch of expensive CP150/Orzorga's recipes for a measely 2 or 40 vouchers isn't worth the investment (to me) to learn on alts. I just shift all my provisioning writs to my main and then sell any duplicate recipes I get.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master Writs are a test of your crafting characters level of crafting proficiency, if you can't craft most of them, your crafter is simply not up to snuff.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are short of motifs and don’t care, or can’t afford, to spend the gold to complete them, you can wait until the anniversary event that offers motif drops comes around again. If you take the time to make all your characters crafting ready, you can complete the daily writs on each for seven chances at motifs, even doing easy level 1 writs.

I had somewhere around 46 characters doing dailies on the last event. My main account had all but one unreleased style unlocked by the end of the event. I expect to do similar next year, although with 54 characters.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I get master writs for styles I don't know I make a simple decision. If I consider the price to purchase the particular item style reasonable I will buy the style and make the piece. If I don't consider the item style worth buying I will sell the writ in the guild store. Either way I come out better off than just not doing them.

For those writs where I know the style but do not have enough traits to be able to use the station I will usually bank those knowing I would eventually be able to complete the writ.

I'm on the PC and don't use addons as I usually don't let writs or surveys build up. I don't find it difficult to determine if I can finish a writ or not. The first thing I do is go to my Journal Lore Library where it lists the crafting motifs and indicates which one I know or don't know. I then go to the eso-sets.com website to look up the crafting requirements for the item. Lastly I go to any crafting station and look up the number of traits I know for the item. eso-sets also tells you where the crafting station/stations are located. It isn't a one button process but it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to have it all figured out.
  • goldenflameslinger
    goldenflameslinger
    ✭✭✭
    It’s a grind but worth it if you stick it out. Took me like a year or two to get to that master crafter level.
    PS4 NA DC id: goldenflamesling
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely worth it of your into house decorating. Some of the gold furnishing plans offered by the Master Writ Vendor are pretty cool. Also a good chance to get some purple and blue ones from the random bags. Got the purple Clockwork Fabricant Cherry Tree the other day. Was pretty happy with that.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the whole point of master writs, writs that can completed by master crafters who know a lot or all motifs, have 9 traits researched. As far as the specific crafting station, go join a trading guild

Sounds like you hardly know any motifs, better start farming or buying them
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SoLooney wrote: »
    That is the whole point of master writs, writs that can completed by master crafters who know a lot or all motifs, have 9 traits researched. As far as the specific crafting station, go join a trading guild

Sounds like you hardly know any motifs, better start farming or buying them

Farming motifs by doing the daily quests in various zones (Wrothgar, Summerset, Vvardenfell, Elsweyr, Hew’s Bane, Gold Coast, ones I can think of, plus the Fighters and Mages guild dailies, and the Undaunted delve daily, will get you a lot of motif pages. You can sell duplicates to buy the ones you don’t have too.

It’s not difficult, it just takes time and a lot of grinding to unlock those styles.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can find Militant Ordinator motif pages at guild traders. I just finished off my set with a combination of gold-purchased pages and some bought with AP. The gold prices are typically 50k or 100k. I think it’s a 5:1 ratio AP to gold.

Cheaper than I thought, but still outside my budget. I will look again, but I recall them being more expensive than that on the PS4.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sets I don't have

It should be possible to Issue master writs depending on the Game lvl (Silver, Gold)
    with possibly a lower lvl of vouchers

Bank your writs. Learn more motifs. It's difficulr for sure.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheaper than I thought, but still outside my budget. I will look again, but I recall them being more expensive than that on the PS4.

A lot of people will list them at much higher than that in traders, but the best method is to hit up a guildmate or buddy that primarily PvPs and ask if they want to sell some AP to you. That's how I got nearly all my Militant Ordinator motif pages and completed my last few Akaviri ones.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

A lot of people will list them at much higher than that in traders, but the best method is to hit up a guildmate or buddy that primarily PvPs and ask if they want to sell some AP to you. That's how I got nearly all my Militant Ordinator motif pages and completed my last few Akaviri ones.

I used one of the double AP events to get the AP to buy my Militant Ordinator motif. Even though I don't PVP a ton, I respecced my main to a dps from a healer for the event and made a lot of AP. I was able to buy most of the pages, and I had a friend who wanted to convert his AP to gold, so I bought the last 3 pages from him.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the design is to make use of ALL the motifs, to add an extra reason to go get them all. You may not like the style for personal use, but you'll use it for a writ, when you don't have to live with the result!