The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any easy way to get overland sets?

tomofhyrule
tomofhyrule
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I'm trying to find a set of Shadow of the Red Mountain armor, but just trying to loot the chests in Stonefalls doesn't seem like the most effective way. Is there anywhere that I can increase my chances of getting an armor drop? I managed to find the arm cops, but then I ended up getting the bow and I'm a sword-and-board character.

I know there are some quests that give rewards from the set, but I'm still short a few slots even after those. Besides, I'd love if I could get a set from the same style, since the quest reward versions come in a different look.

...or if anyone isn't using medium armor and has a piece to spare around Lv 10-20, let me know.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a list of set rewards from quests/bosses: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Shadow_of_the_Red_Mountain

Also, when it comes to farming, chests have an equal chance to drop anything from all the sets.

If you want a more limited pool:
    Belts and boots from delves.
    Shoulders, gloves and weapons from public dungeons.
    Chests, legs, helmets and weapons from world bosses.
    Jewellery from dolmens.
    Chests can contain any piece and there is a low chance to drop any piece from regular enemies.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a list of set rewards from quests/bosses: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Shadow_of_the_Red_Mountain

Also, when it comes to farming, chests have an equal chance to drop anything from all the sets.

If you want a more limited pool:
    Belts and boots from delves.
    Shoulders, gloves and weapons from public dungeons.
    Chests, legs, helmets and weapons from world bosses.
    Jewellery from dolmens.
    Chests can contain any piece and there is a low chance to drop any piece from regular enemies.

Ah thanks, I hadn't thought to do those.
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to find a set of Shadow of the Red Mountain armor, but just trying to loot the chests in Stonefalls doesn't seem like the most effective way. Is there anywhere that I can increase my chances of getting an armor drop? I managed to find the arm cops, but then I ended up getting the bow and I'm a sword-and-board character.

I know there are some quests that give rewards from the set, but I'm still short a few slots even after those. Besides, I'd love if I could get a set from the same style, since the quest reward versions come in a different look.

...or if anyone isn't using medium armor and has a piece to spare around Lv 10-20, let me know.

I wouldn't worry about farming set pieces below CP 160 because you'll have a bad time doing so, unless you really want to poosock it in lowbie PvP. Get someone to craft you some training gear and you'll be g2g.

Aside from that, easiest way imo is to go to Cyrodiil, farm up some AP, and buy regional boxes.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    You can also find them on sale relatively cheap...
    Malborn66
    PC-EU
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about farming set pieces below CP 160
    This ^^.

Below CP160, you'll outgrow the first item of a set before you can complete it. You need to replace gear about every ten levels until the big step up at CP160. After that, you can stick with the same items forever (if you choose wisely). You could consider improving items you pick up, but most of the benefit will be from the crafting inspiration.

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As said above, don't bother below CP160. By the time you get what you want you will have outleveled it.

After CP160 however, I love overland sets. Farm dolmens for purple jewelryx3, then buy the other two pieces from guild traders. Exploring and questing for gold is simpler and faster than trying to farm specific armor/weapon pieces of overland sets.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing, if you're looking for sets, check them out on eso-sets.com (not shilling) to see if there are any particular quests/dungeons/bosses in the zone that drop unique named pieces of the set. You can save yourself a lot of time and money.

Biggest example I usually see are Briarheart daggers, people pay and arm and a leg for them without realizing that you can get a free dagger for doing a quest hub in Wrothgar.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mention of Briarheart brings up another point. Overland sets in the Alliance zones have jewels that you can farm at the dolmens, but DLC-added zones don't have dolmens. Briarheart jewels are therefore not available from the non-existent dolmens, and you'll either have to buy some, or get really lucky with the dailies and chests. The same applies to Vvardenfell and Murkmire sets. Summerset introducing jewel crafting means that you can now combine overland body with crafted jewels, so a lot more options are open.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When I wanted to aquire Red Mountain, I simply ran a few dungeons and spent an hour or so farming a public dungeon, this process was one evenings gaming, and more or less generated the required amount of gold. I then went shopping in guild stores. I picked the whole set up for a reasonable amount, a few tens of thousands from memory.

Save yourself the hassle, do some content for a night or two, then go shopping :) And do shop around, there is a large variance in prices. I never buy until I have visited a range of locations to check the market out. Make a note of what you find, where and how much it is.