Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How did Power overload suddenly get so super strong

• Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    They nerfed the skill into the ground. The range nerf was especially bad, they shoulda just fixed the telegraph.
    Edited by Gaggin on August 23, 2019 4:51PM
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaaaaaand it’s gone
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's take bets on what ball groups will get nerfed next.

I got 3k crowns on Harmony being nerfed next.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »

Yup. That’ll be the next move. Though that’s also an awesome small group utility. And the nerf will drastically hurt one of the more fun Necro play styles.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »

Oh yeah. Gotta nerf Harmony!

I put my 3K crowns on Templar purge being increased to 7K magicka cost next patch.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I might bring my sorc back into Cyro now. I HATED the OL meta....good riddance.
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    I disagree. Being a channel which snares you and doesn’t let you do anything else, it wasn’t too strong. Think you’re mistaken,

You could kill people using Overload while hiding from behind a keep's wall, by using it from the floor above the enemy. Being snared provided zero hinder to these. I've seen it happen quite a few times last week at the Alessia bridge.

You don't need to do anything else if you are doing a constant 7-9K damage per tick while you are hiding in the middle of a ball group, making it impossible for you to be attacked or killed. Have anyone in that group CC the target, and you have a pretty easy kill right in front of you.

I was seeing happen all the time in the past week, as various AD ball groups were running with sometimes even two of them. They would hide in the back, build up ultimate by range attacks, then charge at the enemy, and hold Overload until they killed 2-3 enemies, while their ball group kept them alive and spammed CCs at their targets. No if's or but's, it was a completely cheesy playstyle that needed to be addressed, and a very large portion of the community agreed. Same was the recent stamcro bash cheese.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RMerlin wrote: »
    maxjapank wrote: »
    I disagree. Being a channel which snares you and doesn’t let you do anything else, it wasn’t too strong. Think you’re mistaken,

You could kill people using Overload while hiding from behind a keep's wall, by using it from the floor above the enemy. Being snared provided zero hinder to these. I've seen it happen quite a few times last week at the Alessia bridge.

You don't need to do anything else if you are doing a constant 7-9K damage per tick while you are hiding in the middle of a ball group, making it impossible for you to be attacked or killed. Have anyone in that group CC the target, and you have a pretty easy kill right in front of you.

I was seeing happen all the time in the past week, as various AD ball groups were running with sometimes even two of them. They would hide in the back, build up ultimate by range attacks, then charge at the enemy, and hold Overload until they killed 2-3 enemies, while their ball group kept them alive and spammed CCs at their targets. No if's or but's, it was a completely cheesy playstyle that needed to be addressed, and a very large portion of the community agreed. Same was the recent stamcro bash cheese.

You’re confusing complaints about being able to attack from behind a keep’s wall with the ability itself. If you’re upset about that, then make it so it doesn’t go through walls. It doesn’t equal a range change. And complaining about ball groups is just complaining about ball groups. You’re still going to have stam wardens preloading Beatles with Dawnbreaker hitting at the same time. At least, overload being a channel meant you could move out of the way because the channel snares. Sounds like you just died to ball groups and want to complain about them.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this discussion is taking exactly the wrong turn.

Is there anybody arguing OL heavies were not a bit overperforming and being serious in doing so? I hope not.

The issue people should be arguing about is that there were not small adjustments being made to make the ability not OP anymore but still usable.
    The dmg got nerfed by 25% AND the range got nerfed by 50%.
    It´s trash now. Flatout useless.

This is what ppl should argue about. Are that the balance changes people want to see in the game?
    Abilities being balanced with an ON/OFF switch regarding their usability?

Edit: Just to put things into perspective:

Power overload (the dmg morph) of an ultimate now does 25% less damage than puncturing sweep (the magplar melee spammable) against a single target and has the same attack area.

Yes sweeps does not full aoe dmg - but it heals and has burning light proccs (those are not figured into the dps comparison - if you do it´s 40% difference) and you can combine it´s use with an actual dmg ultimate on top.
    Edited by Derra on August 24, 2019 7:28AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Power overload (the dmg morph) of an ultimate now does 25% less damage than puncturing sweep (the magplar melee spammable) against a single target and has the same attack area.

Puncturing sweep does not do 70% increased damage on off-balance targets.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Derra wrote: »

Puncturing sweep does not do 70% increased damage on off-balance targets.

It´s an additive 70% though not multiplicative. Even against an off balanced target puncturing sweeps does more dmg ;) - which i might add to my post as it only makes my point stronger - thanks!

Edit: And yes you can build into a fully dedicated overload build still and then it will deal ~20% more dmg than puncturing sweeps. But requiring 3 dedicated sets + cp setup to buff the dmg of an ultimate just slightly above the level of a spammable can hardly be an argument unless anyone wants to convince me otherwise.

Edit2: Rough testing:
    A fully dedicated overload build (undaunted infiltrator, maelstrom, elegant, slimecrap - eh craw) will deal ~25% (edited from 35% bc i didn´t take out blockade dmg + concussed multiplicator) more dps than puncturing sweeps against an off balanced target.
    The same build without off balance will deal the same dps as puncturing sweep (within 5% of each other one test OL was ahead 1 sweep).
    On a mirror build (no heavyattack buff sets) sweep (with burning light proccs) does 5 to 10% more dmg than OL heavy on off balanced targets.

Sweeps still can be combined with an actual dmg ultimate.

Edit3: We shoudl probably turn this into: "Why did puncturing sweep suddely become so super strong" topic :joy:
    Edited by Derra on August 24, 2019 8:43AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems @ZOS is being lazy again... can't properly balance an ability, just nerf it into the ground and call it a day :trollface:

25% dmg nerf was badly needed - perhaps even more than 25% since it interacts with off-balance now - but the range nerf on top of that? Thanks, but no thanks.

Next step, nerf Harmony... can't be getting hit by those 20-30k Gravity Crush hits from ballgroups now, can we?
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the ball groups getting hit with 20k+ synergies because they can't spread out properly or build for survival, not the other way around. There's clips of 4-mans/6-mans wiping full 24 man raids with well timed harmony bombs.

Simply put, ball groups will complain about anything that kills them simply because they couldn't just run over it with numbers.
    Edited by Heatnix90 on August 24, 2019 11:43AM
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has become a meme now.

So... who is next?

Select one of the below "I got killed, thus this is OP options!", and it gets on the list!

Incap
    Overload

1) Sap Essence
    2) SubAssault
    3) Nova
    4) Cruel Flurry Set

Every month one such ability is deleted from the game without any testing or compensation, preferably right after they have received a buff no one has asked for.

A special mention goes to the Dev who thought it was a good idea that a DK´s standard melee range should be larger than the new Overload´s range :D S/he must have taken my PTS January thread as inspirational material ;)

Overload-change.jpg
    Edited by Thraben on August 24, 2019 2:39PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 ticks 17k. Working as intended. Please defend this like necro bash. It’s okay totally!