Maintenance for the week of April 1:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 1

How did Power overload suddenly get so super strong

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Earthewen wrote: »
    Humans without honor WILL exploit and cheat if they can.

Whatever peoples' feelings on overload, the players running it aren't cheating or exploiting. OL has been this strong for years.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

Whatever peoples' feelings on overload, the players running it aren't cheating or exploiting. OL has been this strong for years.

Its really a thing of theory crafting builds.

The vast majority of players aren't aware of what potential OL has so it pretty much ignored.

Every now and then someone gets hit for 30k in 3 ticks complains and most think they're lying or on a weak build.

It's why I'm double minded about build videos spilling the beans. It's so rewarding when you come up with a build superior to others. However when builds become popular.....

Well, You know what happens.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of players aren't aware of what potential OL has so it pretty much ignored.

Every now and then someone gets hit for 30k in 3 ticks complains and most think they're lying or on a weak build.

It's why I'm double minded about build videos spilling the beans. It's so rewarding when you come up with a build superior to others. However when builds become popular.....

Yeah, overload was quite good before but with the recent change making you unable to interrupt it the skill takes on a new flavor.....really pushes what was niche builds and only a handful of them to the danger zone. Much like the groups all running the bash from Necro- fine with one or two, but when you get groups of four or five running out there with heal support, the dynamic changes. The speed that ZOS moves (glacial) means the groups today of five of them- will be full raids very shortly and that is what is so frustrating. It all comes down to finding balance HOW did this get missed and HOW did they make it uninterruptable and pass it through patch....seems impossible for anyone paying attention, even just a little.
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »

Dodge of inconvenient facts noted. Red Herring noted. If OL were as strong and cheap as out of context claims in this thread misrepresent it to be, the entire DPS component of end game PVE would be composed of OL sorcs.

Yet they are not, quite the opposite.

PvE is about sustained DPS. PvP is about burst DPS. If your opponent is dead within 2 secs, then nothing else matters after that. In PvE, that mob won`t be dead yet after you have run out of ultimate.
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's time AoE attacks in general be rethought. If a skill doesn't require you to have the play skill to target your victim, then the damage to a single victim should take that into account, and be accordingly reduced.

An AoE skill should never do more damage against a single target than a single target skill/spell. Convenience of not having to actively target should be balanced with reduced effectiveness IMHO.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Right. I ran OL in CwC and I routinely hit people for 20k light attacks, and OL was harder to run then because of the 3rd bar lag. Until I'd meet a DK with Wings, and then my choices were to run or kill myself. :dizzy: But it got boring fast.

As for being interruptible, no other ultimates are. So that change, and the bug fix for off-balance, were normalizing it to how the game works.

If every sorc starts running it, and I am seeing and lot already, it'll get nerfed into the ground, and that won't be good either. Personally I think the sorc class needs a new, better burst ultimate with shock and physical damage morphs that could be used for PVP or PVE.

• GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    a destro NB spamming sap does more dps than an overload sorc. No comparison.

I'm not really sure that is true. I do think sap does a good amount of damage and I like that skill. But the range isn't what OL is. I also have a sorc and a nightblade and I've tested both of them on my test dummies set up close together for differences in performance. Sorc OL outdid everything else I have on all of my toons. I have one of each class and nothing else came close. There are just so many advantages for OL that nothing else enjoys. How can that even be close to being balanced?

I think maybe the devs were looking for some kind of balance, but again failed to recognize the human tendencies behind the computer keyboard. How can you change gaming without considering the selfishness of the human race? Humans without honor WILL exploit and cheat if they can. If you continue to fail to recognize this, you have left out the most important factor of MMO creation … humans sitting behind their keyboards playing your game.

Yeah your tank build you run in your VV group won’t out dps even a brain dead OL sorc. But any decent nb bomber can out dps an overload sorc.

Nb bomber has better range (obviously) because it is a radius, not a cone aoe

All cone attack in this game such as, jabs, cleave, and overload have terrible hit registration

Again, nb bombers are superior in every way except that they cant save their ultimate.
    Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:
    Pact Corsair- Breton Magblade Former Emperor BWB Prolly Stole your scroll and bombed you
    Lack of Aoe caps: Prolly bombed u
    Neraz Gulio- Stamplar- Former Empress BWB
    Paints-Her-Face - prolly painted your face
    Zealot of the Great Sun- Blazeplar, frmr Emp Vivec

• xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nb bomber has better range (obviously) because it is a radius, not a cone aoe. All cone attack in this game such as, jabs, cleave, and overload have terrible hit registration. Again, nb bombers are superior in every way except that they cant save their ultimate.

So why are competitive organized groups choosing Overload instead?

Why are players coming to the forums to complain about Overload and not NB bombers?
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RMerlin wrote: »
    It's time AoE attacks in general be rethought. If a skill doesn't require you to have the play skill to target your victim, then the damage to a single victim should take that into account, and be accordingly reduced.

An AoE skill should never do more damage against a single target than a single target skill/spell. Convenience of not having to actively target should be balanced with reduced effectiveness IMHO.

This. I frequently get hit for 3 heavy overload attacks 9k each. That is apparently only 60 ultimate, hard to believe.

Meanwhile my NB in medium armor for 70 ultimate can only get 6-7k on incap. I'm not a very good NB, my 3rd PvP build. I guess if you completely specced a NB as glass cannon you can get more, but 36k for an AOE OL Sorc ultimate is way, way , way more than any single target Incap can ever hit for the same ulti.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nb bomber has better range (obviously) because it is a radius, not a cone aoe. All cone attack in this game such as, jabs, cleave, and overload have terrible hit registration. Again, nb bombers are superior in every way except that they cant save their ultimate.

So why are competitive organized groups choosing Overload instead?

Why are players coming to the forums to complain about Overload and not NB bombers?

It’s obvious, raids can save their ult and stop using it when needed. This is perfect for an organized raid. With destro you use it and all the ult is depleted and maybe you didn’t actually need it. Overload is simply less punishing if your group doesn’t need an ult bomb.

Zerglings have always complained about a skill that is good for killing them. Nothing new, Xylena

Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:
    Pact Corsair- Breton Magblade Former Emperor BWB Prolly Stole your scroll and bombed you
    Lack of Aoe caps: Prolly bombed u
    Neraz Gulio- Stamplar- Former Empress BWB
    Paints-Her-Face - prolly painted your face
    Zealot of the Great Sun- Blazeplar, frmr Emp Vivec

• heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    GO OL OR GO CRY !
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s obvious, raids can save their ult and stop using it when needed. This is perfect for an organized raid. With destro you use it and all the ult is depleted and maybe you didn’t actually need it. Overload is simply less punishing if your group doesn’t need an ult bomb.

Zerglings have always complained about a skill that is good for killing them. Nothing new, Xylena

It's also less punishing to groups that don't have the skill to bomb effectively.

It also has 15m range and lacks a telegraph.

So when an unskilled group fails 3 bombs and finally kills me on the 4th with a larger than expected range invisible 8-12k per tick AoE hidden inside the 20+ pugs they're surfing, you see why we're here. If that makes me a "zergling" so be it.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Urusovite
    Urusovite
    ✭✭✭
    They're doing so much damage because of the 70% boost in heavy attack damage from off-balance. High risk high reward mechanics are good and I like seeing large groups die but imo Overload is overtuned right now. Either the range should be reduced, it should stay bashable, or that 70% heavy attack bonus on off-balance should be looked at.

Sure you have to build for cheese Overload but other than that you are holding left click to do a ton of damage. Someone has to do a lot of work to compete with the amount of damage these builds can put out and since they're sorcs they can easily shield or streak away = no risk. I feel this has been overlooked by ZOS, it's hard to imagine them being ok with amount of dmg considering some of the other things they nerf.

"Holding left click..." LOL. This is such a silly line of reasoning. Is there any ultimate in the game that ISN'T activated by pressing a button? Also, holding down the attack button is one of the things that makes Overload kills so hard to pull off: you can't do almost anything else while your doing a heavy attack! You can't block, you can't cast other spells, you can't run fast. I don't think you can dodge, either, without breaking off the attack... somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

You really are delusional. Its broken! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3orZQY270U4

See 2:50 for an example.
    PS4 NA
    Medium Stam Dk since launch
    Technologically incompetent I'm told

Solo play is the only way
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what happened with this ability. I know patch 5.05 increased its damage by 10% but that can't explain this. Did they change some synergy with blockade of storms or something like that? Did a change in CP boost it? Or a new set?

Suddenly all the usual troll groups are running with multiple sorcs using this. It's like when Goliath Bash was OP and all the trolls were hitting pugs with multiple bashes. In the area death notices the vast majority of deaths streaming by are now power overload. My 33k spell resist/3 k crit resist DK got hit with an 11k attack. I routinely get hit by 2-3 sorcs with overload in a big fight.

Large scale fights are now super dangerous for stam melees with limited mobility; you are meleeing and multiple sorcs sneak up and destroy you with overload from behind.

they simply made heavy overload attacks not interraptable now. Stupid solution, guess soon they will be forced to fix this mistake. but we already lost a huge amount of time we could enjoy eso... seems Wheeler want be same unprofessional as Wrobel at a lead position
    Edited by JusticeSouldier on August 19, 2019 9:02PM
    all classes. pc platform, dissapointed.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in case someone still thinks only squishy builds with low resistances suffer from this:

squishy.jpg
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3orZQY270U4

damn this video i can all agree, not only the magsorc part.

i already tilted and embrace to take a break 'again' from this game, stop all eso content like watching streamer too, cause i know this patch is sh/t and some streamer gonna have a bad time to keep positivity up and that just make hard to watch.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rk5wls.jpg

Probably my favorite death recap :lol:

1k meteor
    22k overload in 2 seconds
    Edited by Mrsinister2 on August 19, 2019 12:35PM
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Bidr wrote: »
    If OL were truly as powerful and cheap and easy as the nerf-herders claim, why would there be anything other than full OL builds in trials? Did those endgame raid leading folks... who spend every waking moment theorycrafting every skill, set and combination of them... just somehow overlook a way to trivialize high end content... provided what OP and others in the thread are claiming is true?

I can't quite make out if this is a troll post or not. Is this dude really equating performance in Cyrodiil PVP to endgame PVE? Because I would like to know when has this been the case. There are plenty of strong builds in PVP that are pathetic in PVE, and plenty of high-performing PVE builds that are crap in PVP.

Dodge of inconvenient facts noted. Red Herring noted. If OL were as strong and cheap as out of context claims in this thread misrepresent it to be, the entire DPS component of end game PVE would be composed of OL sorcs.

Yet they are not, quite the opposite.

You can rationalize or waffle around that all you like, but it directly counters the premise of this thread and several of the claims in it based on out of context recaps.

Please get that pve "facts" the flip out of this thread. The premise of PVE is doing consistent damage on monsters that has tons of health despite the mechanics they throw at you. PVP on the other hand is all about managing your sustain while pressuring your opponent's and then finding a window to burst your enemy. Those are 2 completely different premises, and overload does not do well in the PVE environment because you can't sustain power overload over the course of boss fights.

Edited by HowlKimchi on August 19, 2019 12:40PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rk5wls.jpg

Probably my favorite death recap :lol:

1k meteor
    22k overload in 2 seconds

Nothing wrong here at all......you know the rules of ZOS, just like fight club...first rule, you don't talk about broken stuff and players- if you do, they will kill you or the thread and make one saying, 'There is no problem here'
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urusovite wrote: »
    They're doing so much damage because of the 70% boost in heavy attack damage from off-balance. High risk high reward mechanics are good and I like seeing large groups die but imo Overload is overtuned right now. Either the range should be reduced, it should stay bashable, or that 70% heavy attack bonus on off-balance should be looked at.

Sure you have to build for cheese Overload but other than that you are holding left click to do a ton of damage. Someone has to do a lot of work to compete with the amount of damage these builds can put out and since they're sorcs they can easily shield or streak away = no risk. I feel this has been overlooked by ZOS, it's hard to imagine them being ok with amount of dmg considering some of the other things they nerf.

"Holding left click..." LOL. This is such a silly line of reasoning. Is there any ultimate in the game that ISN'T activated by pressing a button? Also, holding down the attack button is one of the things that makes Overload kills so hard to pull off: you can't do almost anything else while your doing a heavy attack! You can't block, you can't cast other spells, you can't run fast. I don't think you can dodge, either, without breaking off the attack... somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

You really are delusional. Its broken! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3orZQY270U4

Awe. I’m famous. :)
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ShadowProc wrote: »
    Urusovite wrote: »

Awe. I’m famous. :)

To be honest, I'm seeing 7-8K hits from some class abilities and certain other ultimate abilities, including some of my own. I'm don't think OL heavy attack is that far out of balance, but it has great synergy with the updated streak.

My DK can hit that high or higher with a basic heavy attack, at zero cost, returns resources, etc. with about the same difficulty to land and about the same speed of an OL, heavy attack.
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone getting hit by a single heavy overload tick for just under 21k :

https://www.twitch.tv/madshadowman/clip/ObesePowerfulWormPunchTrees

A fine example of why people mock the "PvP" in this game.
    Edited by Sylosi on August 19, 2019 5:40PM
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeeze I remember when everyone in my raids was saying Nyeeh Overload sucks back when it was changed and I was Palpatineing people. Who's laughing now? OG overload sorc since Summerset/Nerfmire!

Considering How my main class has been getting cleaned out every patch since release I think that the all in overload build is fair as a bomb blade. Leave it alone and if you see a sorc Palpatineing, just kill it; They aren't going to be able to react to anything in the lag anyway.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major Evasion is pretty easy to get access to, and it reduces the damage of POL heavy attacks by 25%.

I don’t think OL is OP at all, it’s just good in certain situations

Just wait till more stam sorcs figure out that Kvatch Gladiator adds 1800 weapon damage to OL attacks on enemies below 25% health...lol

Folks haven’t seen anything yet lol
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major Evasion is pretty easy to get access to, and it reduces the damage of POL heavy attacks by 25%.

I don’t think OL is OP at all, it’s just good in certain situations

Just wait till more stam sorcs figure out that Kvatch Gladiator adds 1800 weapon damage to OL attacks on enemies below 25% health...lol

Folks haven’t seen anything yet lol

Ya. Just saw a streamer get rekt by a Stamsorc for 31k overload. Not sure how you reach those numbers without a lightning staff.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylosi wrote: »
    Someone getting hit by a single heavy overload tick for just under 21k :

https://www.twitch.tv/madshadowman/clip/ObesePowerfulWormPunchTrees

A fine example of why people mock the "PvP" in this game.

In all fairness, if this was in a trial other players generally arent aware of what every dps is hitting for.

In pvp with the death recap things tend to stand out.

This one was a monster. lol
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far, I like what I see in today's patch notes. They addressed two of the biggest issues: Heavy Overload hitting way too hard, and also the insane range that allowed someone to hit you with Overload from inside a keep, preventing you from even seeing the telegraph through the ceiling grate.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So far, I like what I see in today's patch notes. They addressed two of the biggest issues: Heavy Overload hitting way too hard, and also the insane range that allowed someone to hit you with Overload from inside a keep, preventing you from even seeing the telegraph through the ceiling grate.

It was Overload hitting with off balance that made it strong. They should taken away the off balance. Not nerf the skill itself.
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

It was Overload hitting with off balance that made it strong. They should taken away the off balance. Not nerf the skill itself.

No, it's not just related to off balance. Off balance was actually not being properly used before, and it was already hitting for stupid amounts.

Beside, off-balance is a global mechanic. Implementing exceptions to specific skills is what ZOS is currently trying to prevent, as it leads to inconsistent gameplay (and more errors).
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

No, it's not just related to off balance. Off balance was actually not being properly used before, and it was already hitting for stupid amounts.

Beside, off-balance is a global mechanic. Implementing exceptions to specific skills is what ZOS is currently trying to prevent, as it leads to inconsistent gameplay (and more errors).

I disagree. Being a channel which snares you and doesn’t let you do anything else, it wasn’t too strong. Think you’re mistaken,