The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Questions about a Peryite worshiping character

Zephyr729
Zephyr729
Soul Shriven
Hey everyone pretty new to the forums and eso RP in general (don't know if this post is better suited for RP or lore so if I posted it here incorrectly please let me know),

So I wanted to make my character (a khajiit necromancer) a follower of Peryite since i think the whole disease/poison aspect of necromancy fits well with the theme of pestilence. However, Seeing as worshipped deities seem to play a significant role in determining a characters goals and dispositions to certain things, I wanted to actually know what a follower of peryite's views are and what they generally try to accomplish to appease their lord.

Now I haven't done a whole lot of quests or endgame dungeons and trials for that matter so apologies if these questions are answered there but my questions are as follows:
  1. What is the general disposition of peryite's followers are they just generally insane? because the only ones if seen in game just rant on about disease or are trying to end the world.
  2. If peryite is the taskmaster trying to enforce the natural orders of things isn't making a bunch of plagues forcing the natural order into something that he sees as natural ? (because disease and plagues do occur naturally but its a bit different when green boi is handing them out like free candy).
  3. What are the goals of his followers are they simply carriers of disease or do they help enforce natural order in other ways?
  4. What's the whole deal with "The Afflicted" AFAIK, peryite sometimes blesses his followers with some kind of nasty disease and to an extent they can't die from it, so does the disease "strengthen" followers and if they experience the symptoms of the disease does it affect them in a negative way (Ex.having some nasty green growth but not experiencing any pain from it).
  5. What is generally the morality of his followers, are they evil or more neutral?
  6. Can he prevent one from dying due to disease?

Sorry for the long list of questions but any feedback or answers would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by Zephyr729 on August 14, 2019 3:04PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    General overview: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Peryite

What follows is my best guess as to some possible answers based on what we've seen in the games.

1. Most people we see worship Daedric Princes do so because they see that it benefits them in some way. So I'd pick a reason why it benefits your character. That could be anything from them identifying with the taskmaster aspect, to seeking the power to unleash a plague on their enemies, to hoping that being one of Peryite's Blessed they will suffer less from the eventual terrible plagues. Tamriel did just suffer from the Khenaten Flu, so that might play a role in their immediate reaction to Peryite. The wandering Afflicted you meet in Skyrim attributed his survival from the plague to Peryite's protection, possibly another reason to worship him.

4. In Skyrim, the Afflicted both suffer and benefit from their disease. They gain a nasty poison vomit attack (YMMV on how awesome that is) and resistance from its deadly effects. In their dialogue, they say that they will suffer for Peryite as a sign of their devotion to him. Peryite views them as "vessels for his Blessing".

5. Depends? In Skyrim, Orchendor started out a good leader for the Afflicted, leading them to a place of safety, and then started taking charge on his own. So it seems to depend on the individual worshippers...but if you look at the wider scheme of morality, harboring or spreading deadly diseases is probably not going to well-liked by the general populace. At best, probably neutral.

6. Yes, at least one of his own diseases, as stated by the Afflicted Refugee in Skyrim.

Hope that helps!
  • Cernunnos55
    Cernunnos55
    ✭✭✭
    The purpose of followers of a daedric prince is identical to the purpose of the prince themselves. Peryite is charged in no small way with a form of balancing. It's not killing or pestilence for the sake of it. In some cases, it is power for the cost of pestilence. In others, it's population management. When we consider that alongside the secluded lives that followers of Peryite have been known to live, such as in Skyrim, it seems clear that a worshipper would not seek out conflict actively, and would consider each situation with an internal balancing of "Will I gain? Will anyone else? Is it worth the cost?"

1: The ones you have seen are sworn devotees to the extent of utter adoration. Every daedra and aedra have these. Not every follower will look like this. The most notable one would be Orchendor, an individual who does not mindlessly chant and drool over the inherent privilege of serving, but instead utilises his powers as a force of change. Granted, he changed things in the right direction, but that's not the point.

2: I don't think pestilence is considered to be the natural state of things. I think that pestilence is designed in the context to be a prime mover of change, pushing towards a desired result. A Necromancer Kahjiit utilising poison and pestilence in his travels may do so to change the state of things, such as destroying Molag Bal's plot and setting the world back to its natural order, but the natural order does not by nature consist solely of poison and pestilence.

3: Vessels. Carriers. But that does not mean that our experience of Peryite's worshippers is exhaustive. Here, you have some freedom to design your own vision for what your purpose as a follower would be. Consider the Black Hand's hierarchy system, for example. Different purposes for different skill sets, but all are followers of Sithis.

4: This was answered previously. However I will add that, again, there's some freedom here. Perhaps your Necromancer's poison and disease abilities are how this "affliction" manifests in an individual of power.

5: Morality of the followers reflects the morality of the deity. Meridia's are righteous banishers of the dead, a "moral" factor. Boethia's exist within a power struggle with everyone in a murderous context, an "immoral" factor. It's up to you to decide if you consider Peryite's plague-spreading restoration of order to be moral or immoral, but typical it seems as though his people are reclusive and self-involved, implying an inherent neutrality.

6: Answered.
    Guild Master of The Pride of Daggerfall, D.C. loyalist and commander of the Cerglings.

R’hana – Khajiit – StamBlade – Crafter/PvP
    Iranduril – Altmer – MagSorc – PvE DPS
    Sayelo Tomylilfren – Argonian – Hybrid Dragonknight – PvE Tank
    A Brexit Policy – Redguard – StamSorc – PvP
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because disease and plagues do occur naturally

Disease yes and no. Plagues on the other hand do not occur naturally. Plague is a disease that spreads among the population through artificial means. Like rats boarding a ship and reaching locations that could not normaly reach or layers of human and animal excrements stacking underground and releasing a deadly miasma etc.

Edit: Here is some material to get you into the peryite mood :p
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPe6BgzHWY0
    Edited by Ash_In_My_Sujamma on August 19, 2019 10:47AM
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zephyr729 wrote: »

Sorry for the long list of questions but any feedback or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Peryite and Necromancy dont go well together. Necromancers try to reach lichdom, to be immortal as long as the Phylactery remain hidden. A Peryte worshipping necro is somehow a fail. Since you , by game mechanics, cant reach lichdom ever you could roleplay a fail ;) But really ..?

The other version would be a Peryte worshipper that wants to break free by using necromancy. A fail that recognized its fallacy..
  • Cernunnos55
    Cernunnos55
    ✭✭✭
    mague wrote: »

Peryite and Necromancy dont go well together. Necromancers try to reach lichdom, to be immortal as long as the Phylactery remain hidden. A Peryte worshipping necro is somehow a fail. Since you , by game mechanics, cant reach lichdom ever you could roleplay a fail ;) But really ..?

The other version would be a Peryte worshipper that wants to break free by using necromancy. A fail that recognized its fallacy..

Where does it state that ALL Necromancers are purely attempting to reach lichdom? Why can't they just be doing funny stuff to dead things?
    Guild Master of The Pride of Daggerfall, D.C. loyalist and commander of the Cerglings.

• mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where does it state that ALL Necromancers are purely attempting to reach lichdom? Why can't they just be doing funny stuff to dead things?

You only play with stuff to master it. Sword, board, bow, staff or death itself. The ultimate master grade of necromancy is becoming immortal. A necro knows if he dies his enemy necro is able to resurrect him.. a nightmare for a necro ego.
    Edited by mague on August 19, 2019 11:11AM
  • Cernunnos55
    Cernunnos55
    ✭✭✭

You only play with stuff to master it. Sword, board, bow, staff or death itself. The ultimate master grade of necromancy is becoming immortal. A necro knows if he dies his enemy necro is able to resurrect him.. a nightmare for a necro ego.

When I said "doing funny stuff to dead things" I was being wide. However in a thread that is based upon lore and fact, it would be helpful to back up your statement with lore and fact. For example, a brief search of ESO lore on Necromancy reveals several points.

One: "Necromancy, also called the Necromantic Arts, Dark Arts, or Dark Practice, is the manipulation of the souls or corpses of the dead."

Two: There are many branches of Necomancy. Even the Undaunted use it in some manners, considering it a valid branch of magic just like the others. The College of Winterhold does not ban it during the Skyrim timeline, and it is there considered much the same, not a quest for immortality. Some, perhaps many Necromancers are attempting to achieve a state of immortality, or "Lichdom", however it is not the case for all, and the intentions of a Necromancer are by no means limited.

Three: Having considered One and Two, it seems clear that Necromancy is a means to an end, or many ends depending on its individual situational uses, depending on your philosophical stance. Therefore it is perfectly reasonable that a Necromancer may be a follower of Peryite and utilise its skillset to do his bidding.