The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I just don't understand why Patch Notes aren't released during or before maintenance...

Nyladreas
Nyladreas
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
So that people can at least discuss the latest patch and final changes while they wait for the update itself to finish... Seriously.

This forum is just filling up with stupid speculations and trolling while people wait. Give people something to look forward to and talk about, or at least *** em off or give em a bone to pick with you ZOS...

Geeez...
Edited by Nyladreas on August 12, 2019 10:12AM
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you. In fact, usually they do release the notes the moment the patch is available for download. Been what almost half an hour since mine started to download and no notes. I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cously wrote: »
    I agree with you. In fact, usually they do release the notes the moment the patch is available for download. Been what almost half an hour since mine started to download and no notes. I have a bad feeling about this.

Well not lately. The last couple updates had no notes until it was all complete. I mean... That's just crap.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Double Post Cause forums are apparently dying and disintegrating before me.
    Edited by Nyladreas on August 12, 2019 10:09AM
  • Moon449
    Moon449
    ✭✭✭
    The reason patch notes aren't released before maintenance is finished is because say for example there's a game breaking bug that is fixed in the patch and listed in the patch notes; if for whatever reason there's a problem with the patch or its deployment and ZoS has to roll back or cancel the patch, everyone would then know of this supposed bug and be able to abuse it before the patch is able to be pushed again
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just take a look at the PTS patch notes, they're almost exactly the same.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moon449 wrote: »
    The reason patch notes aren't released before maintenance is finished is because say for example there's a game breaking bug that is fixed in the patch and listed in the patch notes; if for whatever reason there's a problem with the patch or its deployment and ZoS has to roll back or cancel the patch, everyone would then know of this supposed bug and be able to abuse it before the patch is able to be pushed again

I meant: right before the maintenance starts. Like... Right after the server goes down :)
    Edited by Nyladreas on August 12, 2019 10:11AM
  • Moon449
    Moon449
    ✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    Moon449 wrote: »

I meant, right before the maintenance starts. Like... Right after the server goes down :)

The server going down doesn't mean the patch was successful. Something can still go wrong while they're trying to push it to the live servers which may require a roll back or delay
  • Cerotonin
    Cerotonin
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe the answer is because they don’t want to.

Like, nothing personal or no actual reasons. They just don’t want to.
  • Ethyarion
    Ethyarion
    ✭✭✭
    It gives the people in Europe something to read during the inevitable extended maintenance.
    [AD] Tariel Lithaldoren 1000+ cp Stamina Nightblade
    [AD] Ethyarion Lithaldoren 1000+ cp Templar Healtank
    [AD] Keridwen Drachenfels 1000+ cp Stamina DK Tank
    [AD] Kerridwen Drachenfels 1000+ cp Stamina DK
    [AD] Drachenfels Wyndrunner 1000+ cp Stamina Warden
    [AD] Drachenfels Shadowstrike 1000+ cp Stamina Sorceror
    [DC] Ethyarion 1000+cp Magika Nightblade
    [EP] Abbra Cadaver 1000+cp Magika Necromancer

PC EU Server
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said in the other topic on this, the reason the notes are held back is in case something mentioned in them is pulled at the last minute because of post-patch internal testing.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the most likely answer is that patch notes are not posted as soon as server goes down simply because they are not written yet.

Changes are being made up to the last possible moment, which means you can not write patch notes in advance - you have to wait until server is down, then receive and sort the patch notes from the various teams, put them into a readable form, and have someone proofread it. That takes time.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS is really bad in managing some stuff including Patch Notes
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coz they not sure about coming patch till the end. They are bursting with doubts whether to introduce this patch. And when there is no return path and it is rolled out to the server, they decide to publish the patch notes. I think this is what happens.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Veles wrote: »
    Coz they not sure about coming patch till the end. They are bursting with doubts whether to introduce this patch. And when there is no return path and it is rolled out to the server, they decide to publish the patch notes. I think this is what happens.

They never rollback patch, might do extended maintenance so posting patch notes earlier should not an issue
  • danara
    danara
    ✭✭✭
    Because sometimes when they release the patch they can discover New bug or what ever that needs to be change at the last minutes

So they have to adjust the patch note before release it
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    danara wrote: »
    Because sometimes when they release the patch they can discover New bug or what ever that needs to be change at the last minutes

Notes can be always updated, holding them for lame excuses is pretty OP
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    its alot easier to keep an angry wasp in a jar until its outside than convince it to stay in the jar will you move it
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    I think the most likely answer is that patch notes are not posted as soon as server goes down simply because they are not written yet.

Nope, they are usually written and posted before the servers go down. They're just kept in a section of the forums that is not accessible to us common users.

As you can see here the Elsweyr patch notes were already posted on May 17: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/474422/pc-mac-patch-notes-v5-0-5-elsweyr-update-22

Early access started 3 days later and that's when the notes were moved to the public section of the forum.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edaphon wrote: »

Nope, they are usually written and posted before the servers go down. They're just kept in a section of the forums that is not accessible to us common users.

As you can see here the Elsweyr patch notes were already posted on May 17: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/474422/pc-mac-patch-notes-v5-0-5-elsweyr-update-22

Early access started 3 days later and that's when the notes were moved to the public section of the forum.

elswyer patch notes were released early due to them being leaked and the uproar that ensued
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is because until the servers a back up
    no-one knows which mud has stuck!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

elswyer patch notes were released early due to them being leaked and the uproar that ensued

Yes, and the only reason they could be posted was because they were already ready.

Need another example? Here are the Summerset notes: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413283/pc-mac-patch-notes-v4-0-5-summerset-update-18

Posted May 18, release was May 21.
  • danara
    danara
    ✭✭✭
    Lord_Eomer wrote: »
    danara wrote: »

Notes can be always updated, holding them for lame excuses is pretty OP

I dont say they cant do that, OP is asking for a reason i gave him one. This doesnt means that i agree with that way to do things !
  • Runkorko
    Runkorko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    So that people can at least discuss the latest patch and final changes while they wait for the update itself to finish... Seriously.

This forum is just filling up with stupid speculations and trolling while people wait. Give people something to look forward to and talk about, or at least *** em off or give em a bone to pick with you ZOS...

Geeez...

ZoS dont want you to discuss the changes, they want you to acept them. Thats why you get them when server is on and patch is aplyed. Less ppl on forums. Some just post here and there and go back to gaming.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's made to not raise expectations.

Let's assume the patch introduces pink elephants as mounts into the game.

Scenario A :
    - Patch notes are released before the patch is completed
    - Everyone is hyped about pink elephants
    - patch is buggy and pink elephants have to be removed
    - Everyone is angry and frustrated to not have pink elephants

Scenario B :
    - Patch is buggy and pink elephants have to be removed
    - Pink ekephants are removed from patch notes too
    - Patch notes are released when servers go back up
    - Noone knows about pink elephants and everyone's happy.

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea its the perfect time to read and discuss the final patch notes while the server is down, when the server is up and the patch notes too, it takes...yea well whatever..

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be thankful Im not typing them. Otherwise they would go up a week after the update.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, they are usually written and posted before the servers go down .

Not usually. Sometimes. When the feature lockdown already happened in advance. Which is not always the case.

• Auora
    Auora
    ✭✭
    It's made to not raise expectations.

Let's assume the patch introduces pink elephants as mounts into the game.

Scenario A :
    - Patch notes are released before the patch is completed
    - Everyone is hyped about pink elephants
    - patch is buggy and pink elephants have to be removed
    - Everyone is angry and frustrated to not have pink elephants

Scenario B :
    - Patch is buggy and pink elephants have to be removed
    - Pink ekephants are removed from patch notes too
    - Patch notes are released when servers go back up
    - Noone knows about pink elephants and everyone's happy.

I now have an earworm stuck in my head. Thanks. :P

Also now I want a pink elephant mount, obtainable from a Sheogorath quest line that involves acting silly in public. XD
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gina explained it like this:
    Even if there would be no changes from last PTS cycle, they don't post natch pores earlier because when applying to live something may cause some problems, so untill they are sure everything was implemented without any issues they won't post notes, just to avoid confusion.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Nope, they are usually written and posted before the servers go down .

Not usually. Sometimes. When the feature lockdown already happened in advance. Which is not always the case.

It's usually the case.

Once again, posted 3 days earlier: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/488626/pc-mac-patch-notes-v5-1-5-scalebreaker-update-23