Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Destructible Cyrodiil Bridges and Passes Retrospective

Ash_In_My_Sujamma
Ash_In_My_Sujamma
✭✭✭✭✭
Simple question. What is your opinion about the change on Cyrodiil bridges and passes that was implemented in the past, making them destructible, with the intention of decongesting the player concentration on those locations and improving the server performance. While answering please take in concideration the factors of enjoyement (E), utility (U) and performance (P) on those locations before and after the change was implemented. Feel free to explain your reasoning.
Edited by Ash_In_My_Sujamma on August 12, 2019 6:31PM

Destructible Cyrodiil Bridges and Passes Retrospective 52 votes

I enjoy it and I think that it has improved performance while adding to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (+E +P +U)
0%
I enjoy it and I think that it has improved performance despite the fact that it has been a poor addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (+E +P -U)
0%
I enjoy it despite having no effect on performance but I still think that it has been a good addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (+E -P +U)
15%
JahoelkwisatzHidesFromSunRecremenOberon45x48rphIsojukkaColdus12 8 votes
I enjoy it despite having no effect on performance and being a poor addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (+E -P -U)
3%
darkblue5Firebrand10 2 votes
I dislike it but I think that it has improved performance and it has been a good addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (-E +P +U)
0%
I dislike it and I think that it had no effect on performance but I think that it has been a good addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (-E -P +U)
5%
enzoisadogSandman929J18696 3 votes
I dislike it but I think that it has improved performance despite the fact that it has not been a good addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (-E +P -U)
1%
Hexquisite 1 vote
I dislike it and I think that it had no effect on performance while being a poor addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (-E -P -U)
73%
Gloryjosh.lackey_ESOIzanagi.Xiiib16_ESOMaulkinRikumaruUlfgardeDaviiid_ESODelsskiadsalterRin_SenyaneowonVaohSanctum74pelennor_fieldsdotmeAjax_22susmitdsQbikenScamhWhite wabbit 38 votes
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike it and it has made performance worse at those points and it was a terrible addition
  • Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dislike it and I think that it had no effect on performance while being a poor addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (-E -P -U)
    I voted for the last choice, though it needs another option that says i dislike it, it was a poor addition to the mechanics of cyro (encouraging more bottlenecks), and because of that and adding more assets and calculations it likely has only added to the lag. So its actually hurt performance.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destractible Cyrodiil Bridge? How is that even possible?
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the three most dog crap changes ever implemented in cyrodiil. Next to Volendrung and faction lock.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just like the increase to seige damage, it's made it so people go out of the way to NOT fight each other. Makes the map more stagnant and boring imo.

• Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the worst changes to pvp. Makes pvp even more of a horse sim, having to run futrther or wait around just because people always want to destroy the bridges.
    Edited by Crixus8000 on August 11, 2019 11:24PM
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure each faction has dedicated players with dozens of ballista who do nothing but sit there and take down bridges and mile gates.
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mazbt wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure each faction has dedicated players with dozens of ballista who do nothing but sit there and take down bridges and mile gates.

Except AD cause if ash gate and bridge are destroyed AD is screwed.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The poll is made to complicated to be of any use and ignores the more important aspect of adding them, tactical or how it affects gameplay on the map.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Meh, hasn't affected me too much, nor does it bother me.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the idea had potential, but the implementation really bothers me because bridges and milegates behave so differently. Or did when I last played. At least when Alessia bridge is destroyed, it affects EP and AD equally. Because of that, the DC milegate was normally inaccessible from the AD side because DC had nothing to lose.

I often found myself triggered by DC milegate siegers and their support. It was fun to gank them for a while, but that's not what I preferred to do. These guys were legitimate male chicken blockers.
    Edited by zyk on August 12, 2019 2:52AM
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike it and I think that it had no effect on performance but I think that it has been a good addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (-E -P +U)
    Before Volundrung, it was an annoying mechanic used to delay PvP and just be annoying.
    With Volundrung it's very useful to counter the ridiculousness of the weapon, so in that way it's been a good mechanic to counter a bad one.
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have been awful in every respect and need to be reverted as soon as is feasible. It was an interesting idea, but it's awful in practice. It's made the fights dramatically worse.

Most of the time when I log in (DC) there is a logjam at the Ash gate and people are just seiging and sniping at each other since it's impractical to have a skirmish. If you jump down you will be immediately killed. It's impossible for AD to push through because the gate can't be repaired due to siege. It's a very long way to get around it, and even if you did, you will be down there alone.

Whereas before there would be a continuum of action, either at (a) Ash front door or (b) Mine, at (c) the milegate itself, in the (d) field between the gate and Nikel, at (e) Nikel itself, and extending down to (f) Roe farm, or alternatively (g) Carmela outpost.

Instead of all that varied and interesting fighting, which was often dynamic -- pushing up and down the mid-map -- it's just one single, braindead logjam at the Ash milegate.

And don't even get me started on the Alessia bridge. It was the one reliable place to find some fighting any time of day, even as a DC riding down there. It was the most interesting terrain by far for small and large scale alike, probably one of the most well-designed places on the map. It had so many secrets and tricks and ledges, and as you learned them all you got much better at bridge-fighting. Just straight-up deleted. It's a real shame. The new bridge is just total garbage.

I will add that the Chal milegate is usually not that offensive because both DC and EP usually leave it open.

PLEASE just revert the map.
    Edited by josh.lackey_ESO on August 12, 2019 6:42AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly can't remember when was the last time this had any effect on my gameplay in cyro. Being a mostly-solo DC player i dont get to the bridges much, and a destroyed milegate only stopped me once or twice since the feature was implemented. So i pretty much don't care either way.
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The poll is made to complicated to be of any use and ignores the more important aspect of adding them, tactical or how it affects gameplay on the map.

Enjoyement, Utility, Performance. E P U. Can't get simpler than that imo. Tactics and map gameplay are included under Utility. It's simplified that way in order to include as much information as possible under one question. And as I wrote on my op, feel free to explain your reasoning including your interpretation of the question. :)
  • Ulfgarde
    Ulfgarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decent idea but horribly implemented. All it did was stagnate the map further and the zergs bigger.
    Very athletic eso player
    PC EU
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't like the milegates being broken, but the bridges I'm fine with.

Breaking the bridge when a zerg is on it feels great :3
    EU | PC
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyement, Utility, Performance. E P U. Can't get simpler than that imo. Tactics and map gameplay are included under Utility. It's simplified that way in order to include as much information as possible under one question. And as I wrote on my op, feel free to explain your reasoning including your interpretation of the question. :)

6 combinations for +-E+-P+-U that you turned into 8 combinations. By adding the like and dislike you duplicated some of them to have opposite meanings. It is rather obvious and in the end reduces any meaning that can be derived from it if you expect Zos to give it any consideration.
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭

6 combinations for +-E+-P+-U that you turned into 8 combinations. By adding the like and dislike you duplicated some of them to have opposite meanings. It is rather obvious and in the end reduces any meaning that can be derived from it if you expect Zos to give it any consideration.

6+2 (all positive or all negative) = 8 options. I duplicated nothing. If you believe that I have 2 identical options on the poll please feel free to point them out. My intention was to include all possible combinations in a single question. I know very well what I am asking and I know very well why I use the words and options I use.

Also I am not making this poll for zos. Zos can invest their own resources into making a better poll and have a more reliable sample of opinions. I am just asking a question to understand what people might think on the matter and also define where I stand on it.

But I am not going to further derail this thread. Thanks for the conversation.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milegates and the bridges seem nonsensical in their current state.

If you destroy the enemies milgate/bridge you should be able to build a new one that allows you to pass while they cannot.

Leaving it destroyed should allow everyone to pass.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that people still say Horse sim.....They added BG's for baddies who don't want to ride to a fight and you still get complaints *grin*.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the problem is the bridges/gates give no benefits beyond being gank points. if they spawned NPC's who spawned Calatrops and flare i could see capturing them being waaay more useful while destroying them also being useful.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »
    the problem is the bridges/gates give no benefits beyond being gank points. if they spawned NPC's who spawned Calatrops and flare i could see capturing them being waaay more useful while destroying them also being useful.

There definitely should be a stronger emphasis of what is considered "home territory" for the three factions. Borders heavily guarded by strong NPC's is one way to help with it.
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy it despite having no effect on performance and being a poor addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (+E -P -U)
    It doesn't do the job that is intended. It distorts the map to even stronger concentrations on the choke points.

One of the largest distortions is that the bridges between AD and EP tend to send the bridge/gate fighters to attack DC.

That said one of my favorite things to do is to break the bridges on zergs. Once got it to sub 2k and broke it as the EP zerg was running across unopposed right after AD kindly delivered EP the hammer. That kind of thing is why I like to RP as someone who cares about the map. I wouldn't have been in a spot to do something so trolly if I didn't occasionally pretend that capturing map objectives matters.

On a mechanical level and on a campaign as game level they've failed. On a opportunity to troll level however they've succeeded.

What I really want to do is break the bridge on zergs of all 3 factions while being a member of the same faction.
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dislike it but I think that it has improved performance despite the fact that it has not been a good addition to the mechanics of Cyrodiil (-E +P -U)
    Hit the wrong choice shouldve been
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's strange to me that the map is supposed to have triangular symmetry, but the AD/EP bridges are impassable if only the center is destroyed, while the AD/DC and DC/EP milegates are still one-way passable if only the center is destroyed.

Maybe the milegates should be turned into bridges?
    Edited by xylena_lazarow on August 15, 2019 10:23PM
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's strange to me that the map is supposed to have triangular symmetry, but the AD/EP bridges are impassable if only the center is destroyed, while the AD/DC and DC/EP milegates are still one-way passable if only the center is destroyed.

Maybe the milegates should be turned into bridges?

Yes, and over lava. So when I swap to any faction I can send my fellows to their timely deaths <3... at least until they get wise to that...