Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO economy would benefit from more high-value rare items

slicksteezin
slicksteezin
✭✭✭✭
One of the things I've never been too fond of in ESO is the lack of super-rare, highly sought after items. There are many players that have more gold than they know what to do with as the accumulation rate far outweighs the spendature needed (between consumables, armor sets, temper materials, deco, etc).

For this reason, by implementing more exceedingly rare and difficult-to-obtain items I think the game economy would hugely benefit. Not only would it create new appeal and incentive for players to strive towards, it would also service as a new sort of credit sink.

What do you guys think?
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the player base being casual will not be to fond of difficult to get items but I like the idea
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the supply infinite? Then it doesn't matter if it has a .02% drop chance. The supply will eventually exceed demand.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunno about rare or hard to obtain items-- ESO already has a lot of those. What I'd like to see would be some moderately expensive and nicely designed items at an NPC vendor. Like pets, mounts, costumes with prices starting around 100K gold or so. A vendor-exclusive motif...?

The item would have to be at an NPC vendor or it wouldn't remove gold from the economy. Trading from player to player merely shifts gold around the game instead of removing it.
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think that orange juice helps economy...and pink elephants too :D

implementing let's say 100 million gold mount will change nothing

in common buy/sell routine
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is, we can sell carries for skins, achievements, gear, etc.

Not to mention items gained with tel, gproofs, and so on....

It is a good economy to make money :)

Though I would say a lot of the casual player base is on the poorer side of Tamriel.
    Edited by Girl_Number8 on August 1, 2019 12:25AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This exist in purple funiture blueprints and the motifs who drops from vet sunspire.
    Also the polymorph who is an rare drop from AS HM

DLC HM motif farming is an thing.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the things I've never been too fond of in ESO is the lack of super-rare, highly sought after items. There are many players that have more gold than they know what to do with as the accumulation rate far outweighs the spendature needed (between consumables, armor sets, temper materials, deco, etc).

For this reason, by implementing more exceedingly rare and difficult-to-obtain items I think the game economy would hugely benefit. Not only would it create new appeal and incentive for players to strive towards, it would also service as a new sort of credit sink.

What do you guys think?

ZOS are actively working on reducing the numbers of players "with more gold than they know what to do with".
    There is no such thing as "the game economy". It's a construct in the minds of players.

The rarity is about making you play more and by consequence, subscribe more.
    I'm a guy; and that's what I think.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will submit that my personal economy would indeed benefit if I personally had more high-value rare items.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called the asylum sanctorium polymorph but yes I agree. Add more drops to very difficult hm DLC trials
  • slicksteezin
    slicksteezin
    ✭✭✭✭

What do you guys think?

ZOS are actively working on reducing the numbers of players "with more gold than they know what to do with".
    There is no such thing as "the game economy". It's a construct in the minds of players.

Economies are always a construct in the minds of its consumers - that doesn't mean it isn't "real".

All I'm saying is there are alot of other MMOs that have implemented these kinds of things and there is various ways to do so. SWG for example (and I don't mean to draw a comparison between ESO and a heavy sandbox MMO like galaxies as I realize they are very different in their structure) had some awesome ways of incorporating these kinds of things. I.e the mayor election cycles, they would happen every few months at random and players would have to go to a designated city and cast their vote for one of the four candidates. If the candidate you supported won, you'd be rewarded with an RNG box of goods containing one of four items - one of the items being a stupidly rare painting.

Again I'm not saying that it would be realistic or sensible to try to steer the direction of ESO into a RNG based sandbox game. But that doesn't mean some of those features wouldn't serve as a benefit to the game.

One of the biggest issues with MMOs structured like ESO is that the playerbase will blast through the content, obviously some quicker than others, and thus the developers have to keep pumping out new stuff to keep people interested. Adding more elements of RNG (percentage based random generation) to loot drops would do nothing but help the game. Even if they did something as simple as implementing said items with exceedingly low drop chance in basis trials and dungeons you'd then see more incentive for players to run content they've already done a hundred times over and otherwise would not consider doing .
  • slicksteezin
    slicksteezin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the supply infinite? Then it doesn't matter if it has a .02% drop chance. The supply will eventually exceed demand.

Of course it would. But that doesn't take away from the point of argument. Sure, as time passes those items with a .02 drop percentage will become more abundant. But still not as abundant as those items with a 2% drop chance. Thus making it more rare and valued.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    it would also service as a new sort of credit sink.

So you're saying an NPC would sell this?
    Because if it's found/farmed by a player and sold in the Guild Store, that just moves gold around to another player and it's not really a gold sink.

If it's sold by an NPC I guess it could be modelled after crown crates or PvP lootboxes where what you get is random so you basically keep throwing currency at it till you get that rare thing you want. But that could also backfire if they get it right off the bat due to RNG.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 1, 2019 5:56AM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you guys think?

Which is why one of the August daily log in rewards is 100,000 gold?

Ok then...
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • corpseblade
    corpseblade
    ✭✭✭
    jainiadral wrote: »
    Dunno about rare or hard to obtain items-- ESO already has a lot of those. What I'd like to see would be some moderately expensive and nicely designed items at an NPC vendor. Like pets, mounts, costumes with prices starting around 100K gold or so. A vendor-exclusive motif...?

The item would have to be at an NPC vendor or it wouldn't remove gold from the economy. Trading from player to player merely shifts gold around the game instead of removing it.

This is a nice idea but it seems like it would infringe upon the near-monopoly the Crown Store has on these items. I can't see ZOS competing with that money-maker even to create new money sinks.
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    This exist in purple funiture blueprints and the motifs who drops from vet sunspire.

dlc motif farming is not a thing. everyone buys the crown motifs gifted to them cuz it's cheaper than buying from farmers
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jainiadral wrote: »

This is a nice idea but it seems like it would infringe upon the near-monopoly the Crown Store has on these items. I can't see ZOS competing with that money-maker even to create new money sinks.

LOL, I know. But a girl (or old fart) can dream. Plus, unlike everything else in this thread, it's an actual gold sink :D
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ESO economy would benefit from ZOS banning all the bots. I'd like to see farming become a worthwhile activity again
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 1, 2019 7:41AM
  • Logicbomb00
    Logicbomb00
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what the OP meant to say was:

"There are too many people with millions of gold that I would really like so please give me and my mates a way of taking all that gold for the least amount of effort"
  • slicksteezin
    slicksteezin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what the OP meant to say was:

"There are too many people with millions of gold that I would really like so please give me and my mates a way of taking all that gold for the least amount of effort"

Huh? Not the case at all. Might want to invest in a name change because there's not much logic in that logicbomb.

I have zero issue with players who have huge sums of gold. What I'm advocating for is *more* things in game to put that money towards.
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the 'problem' is players having too much gold... then having very expensive items drop that can be sold to other players does not remove the gold from the system. Vendors like the golden are what actually takes the gold out of the system.

There are currently a lot of very expensive items that players can buy & sell.. aetherial dust, gold improvement mats, rare motifs, rare weapons, etc.. but it still leaves the game with lots of players with lots of gold.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    <snip>

Ok then...[/quote]
    zaria wrote: »

dlc motif farming is not a thing. everyone buys the crown motifs gifted to them cuz it's cheaper than buying from farmers
    ^^^^ There's one way that they are doing it.
    also:
    Not everyone will get the 100K.
    Not everyone will need the 100K.

The ESO economy would benefit from ZOS banning all the bots. I'd like to see farming become a worthwhile activity again
    I once saw 30 slots of 200 pieces of Beetle Scuttle (3 pieces needed for Dubious Camoran Throne)
    I now see 1 piece of beetle scuttle from every 10 beetles that I kill.

ZOS haven't got rid of the botters; they just removed the incentive for them to be there.
    It also helps with reducing the numbers of players "with more gold than they know what to do with".

Dubious Camoran Throne now takes a regular farmer longer to harvest and therefore they make less in the same time.
    They don't want farming to be a worthwhile activity.
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see how it would be good for the economie. Its not a gold sink if players buy the item from other players. The gold didnt got out if the game.

Im gind how it is nowadays.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once saw 30 slots of 200 pieces of Beetle Scuttle (3 pieces needed for Dubious Camoran Throne)
    I now see 1 piece of beetle scuttle from every 10 beetles that I kill.

ZOS haven't got rid of the botters; they just removed the incentive for them to be there.
    It also helps with reducing the numbers of players "with more gold than they know what to do with".

Dubious Camoran Throne now takes a regular farmer longer to harvest and therefore they make less in the same time.
    They don't want farming to be a worthwhile activity.

Botters don't farm beetle scuttle. They farm silk/wood/ores/hides. And those items have dropped 300-400% in value over the past 2 years. You used to be able to make 100-150k per hour farming easily before. Now you're lucky to hit 50k (both from the low value of the items, and the competition from botters on your route). With so many botters flooding the market with mats, there is insane oversupply. These guys are farming thousands of gold upgrade mats weekly.

Let's say a botter has 5 accounts farming 4 gold tempers per hour per account (I'm being conservative here). That's 20 per hour. That means they can get 1,700 tempers per week farming 12 hours a day (and that's assuming they only run the accounts 12 hours a day to not raise suspicion). Some botters have 10+ accounts working at the same time.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 2, 2019 4:12AM
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you guys think?

Ok then...

100k gold only matters for poor people. When you have millions and have good income, 100k is nothing.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »

What do you guys think?

Ok then...

100k gold only matters for poor people. When you have millions and have good income, 100k is nothing.

It's still billions of unearned gold entering the market all at once. OP is insinuating that there is too much gold in the economy that needs to be spent. ZOS is proving otherwise.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What do you guys think?

Economies are always a construct in the minds of its consumers - that doesn't mean it isn't "real".

All I'm saying is there are alot of other MMOs that have implemented these kinds of things and there is various ways to do so. SWG for example (and I don't mean to draw a comparison between ESO and a heavy sandbox MMO like galaxies as I realize they are very different in their structure) had some awesome ways of incorporating these kinds of things. I.e the mayor election cycles, they would happen every few months at random and players would have to go to a designated city and cast their vote for one of the four candidates. If the candidate you supported won, you'd be rewarded with an RNG box of goods containing one of four items - one of the items being a stupidly rare painting.

Again I'm not saying that it would be realistic or sensible to try to steer the direction of ESO into a RNG based sandbox game. But that doesn't mean some of those features wouldn't serve as a benefit to the game.

One of the biggest issues with MMOs structured like ESO is that the playerbase will blast through the content, obviously some quicker than others, and thus the developers have to keep pumping out new stuff to keep people interested. Adding more elements of RNG (percentage based random generation) to loot drops would do nothing but help the game. Even if they did something as simple as implementing said items with exceedingly low drop chance in basis trials and dungeons you'd then see more incentive for players to run content they've already done a hundred times over and otherwise would not consider doing .

My friend you are going to be pissing off a lot of players if you add more RNG into the game. There’s already too much of it.
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add partyhats
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What do you guys think?

Problem with that is "What is rare and valuable" is different for each player:

-some will spend a fortune on houses, others are content with the free inn rooms

-some seek to collect all the crafting motifs, others are happy just to sell them and use the gold for other stuff

-mounts and cosmetic stuff, some players will spend a fortune to obtain others will not bother with them at all

-powerful gear or weapon sets, players cry pay to win and get annoyed that people did not have to earn them through skill
    (just look at all the discussions with people trying to make monster helms, either all on the golden vendor/buy able with keys or even earn able on normal difficulty as proof)

-transmute crystals for gold, and people will complain about people not running pledges and filling up the battleground queues.

The real problem is no matter what you think of, the things that would make a good gold sink, will always end up on the crown store instead of an in game vendor. The Skyshard and Skill line unlocks would have been a great gold sink, instead they cost crowns.

Personally I would like something similar to the legacy system used in SWTOR, which has all sorts of convenience unlocks that are a mix of character/account wide unlocks that can be unlocked with in game or real money.

Other than that can't really think of anything to add to the game right now, only half awake at the moment.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where does that theory come from ?
    Supply can be infinite but "infinite" is relative to other factors. For instance, time is finite. It depends on how it's farmed. If an item takes, on average, 30 hours to farm, the supply will be much lower than if it takes 3 minutes. For instance, the supply of aetheric cipher is, in theory, infinite, but it takes so much time to eventually get one that it remains extremely rare and therefore very highly priced.
    On the other hand, demand depends on usage. If you need an item "once in your account's lifetime" (like, say, motifs) the demand will be much lower than if you need to consume that item every ten minutes (like, for instance, alchemy reagents).

So even with an infinite supply, you can face an infinite demand and that infinite can be bigger than the supply infinite, keeping the prices high.

Sorry if I sound like nitpicking : I'm not. I just love to discuss economical theories.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you guys think?

I'm not sure. It would depend on many things. Rare isn't necessarily equal to hard to get.

But it seems to me that ZOS doesn't want anything to be very desirable and very rare. They willingly destroyed the motif market with the anniversary boxes. They rebalanced the reagents market by selling them for Tel Var. I could go on and on...
    Long story short, it seems to me that ZOS is trying to prevent any sort of Gold-2-Win just like they're avoiding the Pay-2-Win.
    Which makes gold somewhat useless in ESO altogether... some people like me like to pile it up as some sort of milestone, but it's objectively not much use.

Is it good or bad ? Frankly I don't know.