Maintenance for the week of November 18:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – November 18, 4:00AM EST (09:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – November 20, 6:00AM EST (11:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EST (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – November 20, 6:00AM EST (11:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EST (14:00 UTC)

ESO economy would benefit from more high-value rare items

  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JUST MAKE EVERYTHING BIND-ON-EQUIP!

    BIND-ON-PICKUP RUINS THE ECONOMY!!!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JUST MAKE EVERYTHING BIND-ON-EQUIP!

    BIND-ON-PICKUP RUINS THE ECONOMY!!!

    ... ??? how ?
    Some things you can trade, some things you can't.
    The economy is of course built around tradable stuff.
    How is more tradable stuff going to push the economy upwards or downwards? What's your reasoning ?
  • slicksteezin
    slicksteezin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what the OP meant to say was:

    "There are too many people with millions of gold that I would really like so please give me and my mates a way of taking all that gold for the least amount of effort"

    Huh? Not the case at all. Might want to invest in a name change because there's not much logic in that logicbomb.

    I have zero issue with players who have huge sums of gold. What I'm advocating for is *more* things in game to put that money towards.
    MattT1988 wrote: »
    One of the things I've never been too fond of in ESO is the lack of super-rare, highly sought after items. There are many players that have more gold than they know what to do with as the accumulation rate far outweighs the spendature needed (between consumables, armor sets, temper materials, deco, etc).

    For this reason, by implementing more exceedingly rare and difficult-to-obtain items I think the game economy would hugely benefit. Not only would it create new appeal and incentive for players to strive towards, it would also service as a new sort of credit sink.

    What do you guys think?

    ZOS are actively working on reducing the numbers of players "with more gold than they know what to do with".
    There is no such thing as "the game economy". It's a construct in the minds of players.

    The rarity is about making you play more and by consequence, subscribe more.
    I'm a guy; and that's what I think.

    Economies are always a construct in the minds of its consumers - that doesn't mean it isn't "real".

    All I'm saying is there are alot of other MMOs that have implemented these kinds of things and there is various ways to do so. SWG for example (and I don't mean to draw a comparison between ESO and a heavy sandbox MMO like galaxies as I realize they are very different in their structure) had some awesome ways of incorporating these kinds of things. I.e the mayor election cycles, they would happen every few months at random and players would have to go to a designated city and cast their vote for one of the four candidates. If the candidate you supported won, you'd be rewarded with an RNG box of goods containing one of four items - one of the items being a stupidly rare painting.

    Again I'm not saying that it would be realistic or sensible to try to steer the direction of ESO into a RNG based sandbox game. But that doesn't mean some of those features wouldn't serve as a benefit to the game.

    One of the biggest issues with MMOs structured like ESO is that the playerbase will blast through the content, obviously some quicker than others, and thus the developers have to keep pumping out new stuff to keep people interested. Adding more elements of RNG (percentage based random generation) to loot drops would do nothing but help the game. Even if they did something as simple as implementing said items with exceedingly low drop chance in basis trials and dungeons you'd then see more incentive for players to run content they've already done a hundred times over and otherwise would not consider doing .

    My friend you are going to be pissing off a lot of players if you add more RNG into the game. There’s already too much of it.

    Not really. ESO relative to other MMOs has very little elements of RNG loot. More RNG = more end game incentives and longevity.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero issue with players who have huge sums of gold. What I'm advocating for is *more* things in game to put that money towards.

    Introducing rarer items wouldn't change things much. Players who like piling up gold would spend hours and days farming the "rare thing" in order to sell it for big gold, because that's their fun, and players who prefer to buy things rather than farm them would buy it and be more or less broke - just like they are now.

  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the things I've never been too fond of in ESO is the lack of super-rare, highly sought after items. There are many players that have more gold than they know what to do with as the accumulation rate far outweighs the spendature needed (between consumables, armor sets, temper materials, deco, etc).

    For this reason, by implementing more exceedingly rare and difficult-to-obtain items I think the game economy would hugely benefit. Not only would it create new appeal and incentive for players to strive towards, it would also service as a new sort of credit sink.

    What do you guys think?

    Unfortunately, ZOS would lock these items behind the hardest content, etc. and only a small percentage of players would be able to farm them, thus keeping the rich rich and the poor poor.

    Derrok Gunnolf - Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina - Werewolf) Free Bites
    Vlos Anon - Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Magicka - Vampire) Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf - 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter (non-combat)
    Jahsul at-Sahan - Redguard Sorcerer (Stamina - Werewolf)
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow - Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina)
    Amber Emberheart - Breton Dragonknight (Stamina)
    Kalina Valos - Dunmer Warden (Magicka - Vampire)
    Silivren Thalionwen - Altmer Templar (Magicka)
    Tithin Geil - Altmer Sorceress (Magicka)
    Dhryk - Imperial Dragonknight (Tank)

    Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 1230+
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It occurs to me that if ZOS wanted to implement a rare items credit sink, they could basically do the same as Guild Kiosk bidding.
    • Have a selection of furnishings that rotate on a YEARLY basis. That is, they come only once a year. And if more items get added... then that rotation becomes even longer.
    • And you have 1 week to BLIND BID. The top 3 bidders win one copy each. Everyone else waits till next year.
    They'd have to be extraordinarily good at sussing out what people really, Really, REALLY want though. But I bet you there's a demographic with the gold that'd be interested in bragging rights like this.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 3, 2019 12:30AM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JUST MAKE EVERYTHING BIND-ON-EQUIP!

    BIND-ON-PICKUP RUINS THE ECONOMY!!!

    ... ??? how ?
    Some things you can trade, some things you can't.
    The economy is of course built around tradable stuff.
    How is more tradable stuff going to push the economy upwards or downwards? What's your reasoning ?

    BoP discourages players from farming content after they already have what they need for personal use. They can't sell off the extras they farm so there is no reason to keep running the content. This also hurts the market by depriving shoppers of a diverse array of goods to buy. What little BoE gear exists is often inferior to the BoP gear by design, so the market becomes even more stagnant as ZOS releases more DLC with BoP rewards.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many players that have more gold than they know what to do with

    And there are many, many, many more players who don't even have a million gold yet. There was a poll on those boards a while back, IIRC over half the population was below the million. The richest I have ever been was like 4 millions, and that makes me the top 10% of the game's rich f***s.

    Just like in real life, you have a small fraction of the population who are stupidly rich and will never have any way to burn through all their cash, and the rest of the world trying to carry on with their daily lives :P
    max_only wrote: »
    Bosmers sneaking past all the dangers in the woods. Come upon a cultist doing a ritual? Sneak past. Come upon a brigand ambush? Sneak past. Come upon a mighty beast? Sneak past. The feeling of “yesssss” when you can squeeze by in tight spaces unnoticed. Sometimes I’m able to take what I need from right under their noses.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JUST MAKE EVERYTHING BIND-ON-EQUIP!

    BIND-ON-PICKUP RUINS THE ECONOMY!!!

    ... ??? how ?
    Some things you can trade, some things you can't.
    The economy is of course built around tradable stuff.
    How is more tradable stuff going to push the economy upwards or downwards? What's your reasoning ?

    BoP discourages players from farming content after they already have what they need for personal use. They can't sell off the extras they farm so there is no reason to keep running the content. This also hurts the market by depriving shoppers of a diverse array of goods to buy. What little BoE gear exists is often inferior to the BoP gear by design, so the market becomes even more stagnant as ZOS releases more DLC with BoP rewards.

    Thanks for detailing your reasoning. However, I disagree with it.
    First, because an economy with more items would not necessarily be a better economy. It would just make it bigger.
    Secondly, while BoP does discourage TRADERS from farming content beyond their personal needs, it does however force PLAYERS to run content for their personal needs, the second aspect outweighing the first one by far. I enjoy trading in ESO but I reckon it's not primarily a market simulation game, therefore the aspect of running the content takes priority over trading.
    Lastly, BoP encourages build diversity. If everything was BoE and tradable, everyone would wear the exact same stuff - much more than they do now.

  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭
    I think what the OP meant to say was:

    "There are too many people with millions of gold that I would really like so please give me and my mates a way of taking all that gold for the least amount of effort"

    Huh? Not the case at all. Might want to invest in a name change because there's not much logic in that logicbomb.

    I have zero issue with players who have huge sums of gold. What I'm advocating for is *more* things in game to put that money towards.

    This I can agree with. More items in game to spend in game gold on. IMO, they really don't make a big effort in ESO to remove in game gold with in game money sinks.
    MattT1988 wrote: »
    One of the things I've never been too fond of in ESO is the lack of super-rare, highly sought after items. There are many players that have more gold than they know what to do with as the accumulation rate far outweighs the spendature needed (between consumables, armor sets, temper materials, deco, etc).

    For this reason, by implementing more exceedingly rare and difficult-to-obtain items I think the game economy would hugely benefit. Not only would it create new appeal and incentive for players to strive towards, it would also service as a new sort of credit sink.

    What do you guys think?

    ZOS are actively working on reducing the numbers of players "with more gold than they know what to do with".
    There is no such thing as "the game economy". It's a construct in the minds of players.

    The rarity is about making you play more and by consequence, subscribe more.
    I'm a guy; and that's what I think.

    Economies are always a construct in the minds of its consumers - that doesn't mean it isn't "real".

    All I'm saying is there are alot of other MMOs that have implemented these kinds of things and there is various ways to do so. SWG for example (and I don't mean to draw a comparison between ESO and a heavy sandbox MMO like galaxies as I realize they are very different in their structure) had some awesome ways of incorporating these kinds of things. I.e the mayor election cycles, they would happen every few months at random and players would have to go to a designated city and cast their vote for one of the four candidates. If the candidate you supported won, you'd be rewarded with an RNG box of goods containing one of four items - one of the items being a stupidly rare painting.

    Again I'm not saying that it would be realistic or sensible to try to steer the direction of ESO into a RNG based sandbox game. But that doesn't mean some of those features wouldn't serve as a benefit to the game.

    One of the biggest issues with MMOs structured like ESO is that the playerbase will blast through the content, obviously some quicker than others, and thus the developers have to keep pumping out new stuff to keep people interested. Adding more elements of RNG (percentage based random generation) to loot drops would do nothing but help the game. Even if they did something as simple as implementing said items with exceedingly low drop chance in basis trials and dungeons you'd then see more incentive for players to run content they've already done a hundred times over and otherwise would not consider doing .

    My friend you are going to be pissing off a lot of players if you add more RNG into the game. There’s already too much of it.

    Not really. ESO relative to other MMOs has very little elements of RNG loot. More RNG = more end game incentives and longevity.[/quote]


    I'm sorry, bug I beg to differ here. IMO too much RNG isnt a good thing. If you look at Trove, your entire advancement in that game is based on RNG luck. It's like they couldn't come up with any real content, so they make it all based on RNG luck.

    I don't agree with your logic that more RNG = More incentive. I think this is a false statement. It sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. Players want more actual content, not an artificial lengthening of that content by repetitive grind.

    Some RNG is Ok, but I would not call it incentive. I think its a step in the wrong direction to make the game depend on RNG. It's more a measure of how long will players put up with this repetition BS before refusing to do it anymore.

    Being a newer player to ESO, I still have not experienced a lot of the content. I think that improving the Dungeon finder so that it works in a reasonable amount of time will do much more to making people do dungeons than your loot incentives would. Right now I do not spend more than 30 Minutes on any one character during the week. So I don't even try to queue up for dungeons/pledges during the week. Adding incentives like your describing isn't going to change that fact.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Economy here, economy there. Dreugh Wax 50g/ea. or Corn Flower 3g/ea. wouldn't hit my clears even in the slightest. Let it burn.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭
    Cyphers are rare, but not difficult to obtain. More stuff like that, less stuff like HM motifs and other crap that no one wants to farm.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    Cyphers are rare, but not difficult to obtain. More stuff like that, less stuff like HM motifs and other crap that no one wants to farm.
    "wants" more like "able to". You know, I've farmed vBRP motifs like a there is no tomorrow and earned millions. Hard content item = rare item.
  • slicksteezin
    slicksteezin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what the OP meant to say was:

    "There are too many people with millions of gold that I would really like so please give me and my mates a way of taking all that gold for the least amount of effort"

    Huh? Not the case at all. Might want to invest in a name change because there's not much logic in that logicbomb.

    I have zero issue with players who have huge sums of gold. What I'm advocating for is *more* things in game to put that money towards.

    This I can agree with. More items in game to spend in game gold on. IMO, they really don't make a big effort in ESO to remove in game gold with in game money sinks.
    MattT1988 wrote: »
    One of the things I've never been too fond of in ESO is the lack of super-rare, highly sought after items. There are many players that have more gold than they know what to do with as the accumulation rate far outweighs the spendature needed (between consumables, armor sets, temper materials, deco, etc).

    For this reason, by implementing more exceedingly rare and difficult-to-obtain items I think the game economy would hugely benefit. Not only would it create new appeal and incentive for players to strive towards, it would also service as a new sort of credit sink.

    What do you guys think?

    ZOS are actively working on reducing the numbers of players "with more gold than they know what to do with".
    There is no such thing as "the game economy". It's a construct in the minds of players.

    The rarity is about making you play more and by consequence, subscribe more.
    I'm a guy; and that's what I think.

    Economies are always a construct in the minds of its consumers - that doesn't mean it isn't "real".

    All I'm saying is there are alot of other MMOs that have implemented these kinds of things and there is various ways to do so. SWG for example (and I don't mean to draw a comparison between ESO and a heavy sandbox MMO like galaxies as I realize they are very different in their structure) had some awesome ways of incorporating these kinds of things. I.e the mayor election cycles, they would happen every few months at random and players would have to go to a designated city and cast their vote for one of the four candidates. If the candidate you supported won, you'd be rewarded with an RNG box of goods containing one of four items - one of the items being a stupidly rare painting.

    Again I'm not saying that it would be realistic or sensible to try to steer the direction of ESO into a RNG based sandbox game. But that doesn't mean some of those features wouldn't serve as a benefit to the game.

    One of the biggest issues with MMOs structured like ESO is that the playerbase will blast through the content, obviously some quicker than others, and thus the developers have to keep pumping out new stuff to keep people interested. Adding more elements of RNG (percentage based random generation) to loot drops would do nothing but help the game. Even if they did something as simple as implementing said items with exceedingly low drop chance in basis trials and dungeons you'd then see more incentive for players to run content they've already done a hundred times over and otherwise would not consider doing .

    My friend you are going to be pissing off a lot of players if you add more RNG into the game. There’s already too much of it.

    Not really. ESO relative to other MMOs has very little elements of RNG loot. More RNG = more end game incentives and longevity.


    I'm sorry, bug I beg to differ here. IMO too much RNG isnt a good thing. If you look at Trove, your entire advancement in that game is based on RNG luck. It's like they couldn't come up with any real content, so they make it all based on RNG luck.

    I don't agree with your logic that more RNG = More incentive. I think this is a false statement. It sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. Players want more actual content, not an artificial lengthening of that content by repetitive grind.

    Some RNG is Ok, but I would not call it incentive. I think its a step in the wrong direction to make the game depend on RNG. It's more a measure of how long will players put up with this repetition BS before refusing to do it anymore.

    Being a newer player to ESO, I still have not experienced a lot of the content. I think that improving the Dungeon finder so that it works in a reasonable amount of time will do much more to making people do dungeons than your loot incentives would. Right now I do not spend more than 30 Minutes on any one character during the week. So I don't even try to queue up for dungeons/pledges during the week. Adding incentives like your describing isn't going to change that fact.
    [/quote]

    Adding more RNG elements to the loot system in the way I'm describing would have zero impact on a player's "advancement" in that context.

    I'm not advocating for a complete overhaul of the current system as you're making it out to be. I'm saying *more* RNG would create new endgame incentives - character advancement in ESO is extremely easy by comparison to MMOs, far easier than it should be, even if you're a casual player. Between consumables, armor sets, temper mats, and deco there's really not much to put gold towards after a certain point if youre a player who is somewhere in between casual-hardcore.

    You said yourself that you're a new player, so with all due respect i would take your input with a grain of salt as it sounds like you really haven't been around long enough to form a credible opinion on end game incentives.
  • TankinatorFR
    TankinatorFR
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming lots of things are nearly never seen on sale (at least on EU server), I think that this game already have lots of rare items...

    Hell... I am still farming morrowind for my lasts rare motif pages and crafting plans...
    In fact, I already stopped playing multiple time because I was bored by the amount of farm I still have to do for old contents.
    If only they were on sale... But they are so rare that, when one of them is put on sale at a guild trader, it sell in a mater of minute, so most of the time, it's not even worth the fast-travel.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many players that have more gold than they know what to do with as the accumulation rate far outweighs the spendature needed (between consumables, armor sets, temper materials, deco, etc).

    I do not believe this to be true. If it wrere prices would spike, but they dont. In fact the opposite seems to happen, prices on everything are falling and has been doing so since the game launched.

  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of rare items in the game, but the last thing we should be doing is pushing for super rare items, because that means that Zenimax will give it a 1 in a billion chance of dropping. I'm a prolific farmer and spend a fair amount of time in traders, and there are items that I have only ever seen once. There are a handful of new items in Elsweyr that you can get from looting owned containers, and I can tell you that the drop rate on those is maybe 1 per 8 hours of farming. Let's be real here. Nobody really likes farming. They do it because they want something, but that it no way makes it fun.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that this is something lacking. I miss super rare items that could sell for a lot. You saw those a lot in WoW. The most expensive things i can think of off the top of my head;

    1) honor guard motifs [only endgame fashioners will buy]
    2) aetherial dust/cypher [lol]

Sign In or Register to comment.