Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trials leaders: How are you able to be so raid aware and see what everyone is doing?

wishlist14
wishlist14
✭✭✭✭✭
I am stumped as to how you do it. I know experience is key but still, when there is so much going on how do you see what debuffs players have etc. You literally know what each group member is doing and call stuff out but how? I'm doing my absolute best atm to be as raid aware as possible but even my raid notifier is not showing me or alerting me to say the overcharge in CR or the hoarfrost. I literally havd to guess sometimes. No my screen never turns blue. I do run raid notifier and even checked that those debuffs are on but no show. The only thing that i notice is a funny inky blue haze on my arms and weapon and i swap bars wait 10 secs...then i get a purple haze on me and have no clue what that is. I managed to get through CR +3 and finish it but I want to enjoy it more and being more aware of all the debuffs on me would help greatly.

I know how to do the portals and I love watching and learning mechanics but my weak point atm is knowing exactly what debuff i have so i can react accordingly, quickly and not waste time.

So how do you see all this happening around you while keeping yourself from dying. What addons are you running to help you see all this information. Thank you in advance.
Edited by wishlist14 on June 27, 2019 10:49AM
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't play on PC but on console.
    On console the bar swap mechanic is shown by a little blue icon on your buff bar.
    It also creates a big blue circle around your character that if ignored will kill everyone...
    I found it pretty obvious.
    Hoarfrost will slow your character down and you also get a notification to shed hoarfrost.
    When shed it looks like a little blue circle on the ground that someone must run into.
    You don't need a single add on to clear content or be aware of raid mechanics.
    Us lowly console plebs clear too:p
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (
    mobicera wrote: »
    Don't play on PC but on console.
    On console the bar swap mechanic is shown by a little blue icon on your buff bar.
    It also creates a big blue circle around your character that if ignored will kill everyone...
    I found it pretty obvious.
    Hoarfrost will slow your character down and you also get a notification to shed hoarfrost.
    When shed it looks like a little blue circle on the ground that someone must run into.
    You don't need a single add on to clear content or be aware of raid mechanics.
    Us lowly console plebs clear too:p

I play on pc because i dont have console. You are not lowly plebs. The only ppl who think that are the plebs not you. Im here asking for help that i need though and i dont get the prompts you get. Thanks for your reply though. I gave you an awesome for playing on console 😊🖒🖒🖒
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might actually try getting rid of all the add-ons and see what it's like in it's "true" form for a lack of a better term. Like one of the previous posters, I play on console too. In my opinion, console players have it a bit harder and therefore tend to be able to visually identify mechanics better as they come. Please, do not take this as a PC vs console post because it is far from that. I'm merely stating that you are forced to identify the full lifespan of a mechanic if you want to clear the hardest of content.

When I say "full lifespan of a mechanic" I'm talking about from the very start (where you start seeing the boss move an arm or re-position his body giving you the cue that the mechanic is coming) to the very end (knowing exactly how long the mechanic lasts). Add-ons are probably a great source of help when dealing with these mechanics, but I can only assume they make you complacent. You only block when told to. You only roll dodge when told to. You move when told to. So my challenge to you is to turn off these add-ons and learn the mechanics like us console plebs (just a joke referencing your last comment). Once you actually learn the mechanics, then you won't be so reliant of these add-ons and my guess is you'll learn to use the add-ons as a secondary measure to identify mechanics rather than your eyes/ears as the primary measure to identify.
    Edited by Donny_Vito on June 28, 2019 7:31PM
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donny_Vito wrote: »
    You might actually try getting rid of all the add-ons and see what it's like in it's "true" form for a lack of a better term. Like one of the previous posters, I play on console too. In my opinion, console players have it a bit harder and therefore tend to be able to visually identify mechanics better as they come. Please, do not take this as a PC vs console post because it is far from that. I'm merely stating that you are forced to identify the full lifespan of a mechanic if you want to clear the hardest of content.

When I say "full lifespan of a mechanic" I'm talking about from the very start (where you start seeing the boss move an arm or re-position his body giving you the cue that the mechanic is coming) to the very end (knowing exactly how long the mechanic lasts). Add-ons are probably a great source of help when dealing with these mechanics, but I can only assume they make you complacent. You only block when told to. You only roll dodge when told to. You move when told to. So my challenge to you is to turn off these add-ons and learn the mechanics like us console plebs (just a joke referencing your last comment). Once you actually learn the mechanics, then you won't be so reliant of these add-ons and my guess is you'll learn to use the add-ons as a secondary measure to identify mechanics rather than your eyes/ears as the primary measure to identify.

Well aparently you get better tells for debuffs in trials on console because not much 8s showing for me and im suspicious that it may be lag....im from australia. Ty for yiur response i appreciate it.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch i only got 2 responses from console plaers when im pcy
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for barswap mechanic there is a giant whit beam that appears over the other players head. For hoarfrost its a frosty aoe that also has a dot component to it. Both are very visible. Memorization and organization. On console also learning rotation of the bosses mechanics. Console Player and a starchy raid leader.
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing the same raid over and over you get better at the fight and become more aware of boss actions notifying us of what is also happening. Further, if you are on PC there are multiple addons that tell you some of the things that are about to happen or are within a window to occur.

But for things outside of addons, when you get more comfortable with a fight you start to notice more.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    experience helps and always looking 30 seconds ahead helps too
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wishlist14 wrote: »

Well aparently you get better tells for debuffs in trials on console because not much 8s showing for me and im suspicious that it may be lag....im from australia. Ty for yiur response i appreciate it.

Actually, there is a good chance you're right about that. Every Aussie player that I raid with suffers from extraordinary latency issues. They tend to be even better overall players than the rest of us on console because they can't even rely on seeing the AoE go out or the visible effects in time. They have to learn to watch the boss for changes in posture that indicate a mechanic is about to happen, which makes them really well attuned to the true bossfight mechanics. Try tap-targeting the boss, which gives it a bright white silhouetted outline, and makes any changes in posture really easy to see, then learn how those changes in posture change with each mechanic.
    Edited by p00tx on July 1, 2019 5:42PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    p00tx wrote: »

Actually, there is a good chance you're right about that. Every Aussie player that I raid with suffers from extraordinary latency issues. They tend to be even better overall players than the rest of us on console because they can't even rely on seeing the AoE go out or the visible effects in time. They have to learn to watch the boss for changes in posture that indicate a mechanic is about to happen, which makes them really well attuned to the true bossfight mechanics. Try tap-targeting the boss, which gives it a bright white silhouetted outline, and makes any changes in posture really easy to see, then learn how those changes in posture change with each mechanic.

I play on PC, I don't use any combat mod and that also how I do it.
    I've learn that in many mmorpg I've play, but here because of mod lot of ppl are bad and lazy.
    Each boss skill as an unique animation, tank or healer (depend the boss) have to pay attention to it and say what to do (dodge, block, run, pack, etc..)

I'm the main healer of my group and most of the time I'm the one who take care to pattern for the group and announce it to people.

@OP : You don't have to know every buff/debuff ppl get one them.
    If they know the strat (and they should) they also know what to do or which debuff they've.
    For the buff part it's just a part of rotation from themselves, healer and tank synergy.

Learning pattern is a bit harder than rely on a mod at the start, but most of the time I can say what to do before the combat add-on of our tank even announce it (when it does, it does not work on every pattern).

Here is my advice, you're free to take it or not :
    - Disable all addon, they just block the view
    - Disable any number generator (dmg, heal, hot..), same, useless and can cause fps drop on low config
    - Disable useless visual effect so you've a better view on what happen (let particle at 1k+ or you'll miss some pattern)
    - Don't give up and practice, if it's your 1st time learning pattern it can be tedious at the start.

Good luck ^^
    Edited by Aznarb on July 16, 2019 12:29AM
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch i only got 2 responses from console plaers when im pcy
    Aznarb wrote: »

I play on PC, I don't use any combat mod and that also how I do it.
    I've learn that in many mmorpg I've play, but here because of mod lot of ppl are bad and lazy.
    Each boss skill as an unique animation, tank or healer (depend the boss) have to pay attention to it and say what to do (dodge, block, run, pack, etc..)

I'm the main healer of my group and most of the time I'm the one who take care to pattern for the group and announce it to people.

@OP : You don't have to know every buff/debuff ppl get one them.
    If they know the strat (and they should) they also know what to do or which debuff they've.
    For the buff part it's just a part of rotation from themselves, healer and tank synergy.

Learning pattern is a bit harder than rely on a mod at the start, but most of the time I can say what to do before the combat add-on of our tank even announce it (when it does, it does not work on every pattern).

Here is my advice, you're free to take it or not :
    - Disable all addon, they just block the view
    - Disable any number generator (dmg, heal, hot..), same, useless and can cause fps drop on low config
    - Disable useless visual effect so you've a better view on what happen (let particle at 1k+ or you'll miss some pattern)
    - Don't give up and practice, if it's your 1st time learning pattern it can be tedious at the start.

Good luck ^^

I gave you an awesome...tyvm for your very helpful reply
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you 😊😊😊
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    experience helps and always looking 30 seconds ahead helps too

Yes definately 😊
  • St_Anger
    St_Anger
    ✭✭✭
    Raidleaders need to know their rotation blindly and so the mechanics. I don‘t have to pay attention to my rotation and mechanics much, because I know them so well, that i do them on the side. That leaves me a lot of opportunity to pay attention on other players in the group. Overload for example can be seen by the sparkly effect around a player if he is on the overloaded bar. And exzept that i pay attention on where the players are an how they move to make callouts. Also I don’t like where players use the same costume and polymorph, because it makes it harder to destinguish them for callouts because I would have to read the name. An for addons you need to make sure they are set correctly. So they show information you need, but not unnecessary one. As raidleader you might want to set a lot of settings in raidnotifier to „all“ and not just „self“.
    And if things such as overload or hoarfrost are not shown for you either they are set to not show or it is bugged. Maybe check your setting and/or delete and download the addon and reinstall it.

But most of the stuff comes down to experience. Also if you have the feeling you need to focus too much on your rotation you should practice it at a target dummy. Maybe 1 hour before each raid, if you have time.