The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Cast time on ultimates feels like someone amputated part of my brain

• Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    charley222 wrote: »
    The fact that people call out "invisible dbos" already says a lot. Considering pvp as reactive gameplay is just wrong. And this is not a matter of opinion, but of fact.

You didn't expect a certain ult to land and couldn't block it? Man, it's your fault, you should have seen it coming. Every class has precise patterns on how the deal damage and defend, being able to identify them and play accordingly is part of what makes pvp in this game fun and skill based (skill as in player capacity, not character abilities).

Removing animation canceling from ults just waters down combat, hurts solo play (which is basically dead af, but whatever), and helps less skilled people to survive more. The same less skilled people who call you cheater when you cancel a stun and bash cancel an ult. I know this game is for casuals, but holy *** removing any sort of skill required for combat seems a bit too much even for eso.

2018 account lol , takeback your word noob

('m sorry for what happened to you, but I am sure you can overcome this one day. Just believe in yourself, I am for real, you can't believe what will power allows you to achieve. You'll overcome your personal traumas, just believe in yourself )

Please argument why I should take back my word instead of attacking me personally :')

(btw a forum account has nothing to do with the game account, but I am sure you know this already since you feel free to call other people noobs.)
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    @yodased please explain to me how moving at base movement speed is OP. With the most efficient snare removal ability in the current game you have to cast FM 3 times to avoid the snare of 1 ritual. If you are playing a melee brawler you have to be able to disengage or you end up getting demolished while you are unable to move. This is medium armor’s defense. I don’t have shields. I’m not built to facetank. If I can’t move I die. The only possible way that shuffle is OP is if it is combined with other sources of mobility that allow super fast movement and the ability to perform this has already been nerfed in previous patches. By itself it is in a good spot on PTS; there is a reason why no one has used it recently. If you are getting kited and burned by tree humpers you should try not to chase so many squirrels.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    dsalter wrote: »
    someones mad they cant "clip" dawnbreaker into a "combo" that cant be dodged.

Someone happy they finally can compete against more skilled players.

skill would imply that you had to train for ages and practice to "clip"
    i'm sorry to say but tapping block or weapon switching isn't "skill" and can be done by a newbie.
    it was something that benefited purely the cheese and had no counter play.

You ain't a good troll. And if you are for real, then I think you are better off spending more time on pvp.

as someone with roughly rank 37 (i need to check the specific rank) in alliance war through mostly solo play, much of it as a stam sorc who USES dawnbreaker.
    i'm being serious.
    and before you cry hypocrite, yes i have abuse the "skillful" ability clipping to get a cheap kill, usually against those trying to do the same thing, its cheap but sometimes you gotta fight cheese with cheese.
    besides not clipping things might improve the big issue of to many calculations battles tend to have, even if its only a little, till """animation cancelling""" is solved (yes thats a sarcastic quotation in case the implementation is lost on ye, AC in ESO is a joke in the AC community as it increases damage rather than allowing you to combo) we need to take every we can get till we reach the point where its stable enough to add ACTUAL animation cancelling.

LOL

that is the theme here on eso forums that should be looked into.
    is that anytime someone disagrees with or has a different point of view here on the forums that they are laughed at, insulted, made to look foolish or just outright bashed against for having a different belief and different opinion.
    i hope the community, and the developers and the forum moderators see this and force it to be changed and allow others to be able to express their difference in view rather than being laughed at and insulted for difference in opinion.

TBH I've seen worse forums, but I agree on the amount of lard here.

To OP, I agree with you about this change, it is not necessary. However, the real problem is the amount of defensive moves that have been nerfed over the last 2 years (4 if we include permablocking), jus to name a few:

- Permaclocking
    - Shields
    - Major/minor evasion
    - Healing (especially in the healing class)
    - Major exp and movement traits
    - The defensive skills class nerfs including hardened ward, wings, cloak, etc.

That lead to a meta in which you had to burn your oponent asap or you would be burned asap, like a far west showdown. To contest that, we have been forced to run with a bullet proof jacket and that has lead to the unkillable tanks meta.

The cast time on ultis has been developed as a solution (a very bad solution). The problem is that the defensive tone shouldn't be addressed from the attacker's perspective but from the defender's perspective, but with so few options to protect yourself the decision is clear.

I prefer a hundred times a guy with a stronger shield or with a strong (old) evasion buff than a cast time on ultis. At least you can work around the shield/evasion through their counters (seriously, we needed a couple more counters, nothing else) than this cast time on ultis. It seems the cherry on a cake made of bad decisions

and immovable, let's not forget that one. :/
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Good players will adapt, only bad players are complaining about these changes. If all of your skill is based on animation canceling or hitting buttons as fast as possible there wasn’t much skill to begin with.

yeah, people said that about merciless too, no one ever adapted to that change, you know why?. because the ability with the travel time was *** trash and no matter what you did it was a miracle if it actually landed in PvP.
    Invictus
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abhaya wrote: »
    @yodased please explain to me how moving at base movement speed is OP. With the most efficient snare removal ability in the current game you have to cast FM 3 times to avoid the snare of 1 ritual. If you are playing a melee brawler you have to be able to disengage or you end up getting demolished while you are unable to move. This is medium armor’s defense. I don’t have shields. I’m not built to facetank. If I can’t move I die. The only possible way that shuffle is OP is if it is combined with other sources of mobility that allow super fast movement and the ability to perform this has already been nerfed in previous patches. By itself it is in a good spot on PTS; there is a reason why no one has used it recently. If you are getting kited and burned by tree humpers you should try not to chase so many squirrels.

Oh see thats my bad I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't saying that shuffle was OP or that being able to not be snared is OP, no what I am saying is that mobility itself (movement speed faster than your opponent) is OP isn't the right word, its what gives you an advantage in this game.

Being able to reposition and use line of sight effectively is critical to success in farming situations and outnumbered situations, removing that mobility is just about the only way to win.

My comment was to shine the light on why some people feel that mobility is overpowered and that is because if you can move faster than your opponent you have the advantage specifically in this game more than other games.

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Imagine thinking you could dodge Dawnbreaker...
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    @yodased I agree thanks for clarifying.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Implying casting an undodgeable ultimate after pressing your unblockable/undodgeable CC is ''skill''. There is no practical way for your enemy to have any skill expression or outplay manuevers against a combo that does its damage before the animation even begins, or worse, the animation never even shows cause you bar swapped or block cancelled it.

Fear into incap is a guaranteed hit, there is NO SKILL INVOLVED. Petrify into leap is guaranteed hit, there is NO SKILL INVOLVED. When your idea of ''skill'' is to outlast it via all the means of free survivability in this game, that just goes to show how rotten this game's ''elite'' community are and how aware you people are of what skill truly means.(shields burst heals, defensive ultimates, bad player carries such as pirate skelly etc, major protection sources in general... list is endless)

There is no skill involved in dodging/blocking those ultimates , Its only a matter of predicting it. There is a massive gap between game knowledge and actual mechanical skill.

And these players are the exact same players that label any non immortal PvP build as useless trash but when it comes to bragging, its the skill that keeps you alive, not all the OP gear and abilities you slapped on.

PS : Now all this rant aside, I do truly believe survivability in PvP needs a nerf so there is no need for instant damage combos. Will it happen though? I don't see it with the nerf to reverb, all the buffs to self healing.... If anything we might enter an even worse tank meta.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on July 31, 2019 4:28PM
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipe spamming cloak blades love this awful idea.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Implying casting an undodgeable ultimate after pressing your unblockable/undodgeable CC is ''skill''. There is no practical way for your enemy to have any skill expression or outplay manuevers against a combo that does its damage before the animation even begins, or worse, the animation never even shows cause you bar swapped or block cancelled it.

Fear into incap is a guaranteed hit, there is NO SKILL INVOLVED. Petrify into leap is guaranteed hit, there is NO SKILL INVOLVED. When your idea of ''skill'' is to outlast it via all the means of free survivability in this game, that just goes to show how rotten this game's ''elite'' community are and how aware you people are of what skill truly means.(shields burst heals, defensive ultimates, bad player carries such as pirate skelly etc, major protection sources in general... list is endless)

There is no skill involved in dodging/blocking those ultimates , Its only a matter of predicting it. There is a massive gap between game knowledge and actual mechanical skill.

And these players are the exact same players that label any non immortal PvP build as useless trash but when it comes to bragging, its the skill that keeps you alive, not all the OP gear and abilities you slapped on.

PS : Now all this rant aside, I do truly believe survivability in PvP needs a nerf so there is no need for instant damage combos. Will it happen though? I don't see it with the nerf to reverb, all the buffs to self healing.... If anything we might enter an even worse tank meta.

Dude, fear into incap allows you the time to break free and either dodge roll or block, no doubt on that. And trust me, I main a medblade, it happens all the time and I do it myself all the time. I can prove it to you if you are on pc EU, no problem
  • ProzTh3Almighty
    ProzTh3Almighty
    ✭✭✭

Seriously? Thats not antagonizing but the other guys is?
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the fluff, attacking one another's skill, or whatever, stop and focus on the issue here.

Animation cancelling or as you say "clipping" isn't an issue, it's intended to be there, and if you have an issue with it either learn how to use and predict it, or simply get over it because it IS part of the game.

Cast times period feel clunky and are trashy, and they don't have a place in a fast-paced game in my opinion.

On ultimate? LOL; it's not even an ultimate any more it's just a skill with a cast time.

I don't have a problem now with people "clipping", it's not cheap, it doesn't bother me, if someone kills me with it, good on them, it's a valid skill.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While this change doesn't affect me directly, I do worry about cast times being used as a balancing tool.

I avoid skills that have cast times in Cyrodiil because they can be impossible to cast when large battles are going. This change takes those skills out of consideration IMO, unless performance is improved dramatically.

Playing since beta...
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    While this change doesn't affect me directly, I do worry about cast times being used as a balancing tool.

I avoid skills that have cast times in Cyrodiil because they can be impossible to cast when large battles are going. This change takes those skills out of consideration IMO, unless performance is improved dramatically.

I avoid skills that have cast times periods because you are limited to not using potions, synergies, dodge rolls, blocking, or move out of range for certain skills, as well as random bugs of it not casting.

It has issues weaving at times and playing nicely with other skills and barswapping.

It's just a clunky, awful experience in most cases...
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.