Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Level scaling armor sets

UndeniablyAVG
UndeniablyAVG
✭✭✭✭
I used to play WoW, and they introduced an 'Heirloom' type of armor that would scale with the characters level, meaning that you didn't have to worry about collecting new armor when leveling an alt character. These also had an experience gained buff on them, this isnt really needed in ESO as we can put the training trait on.

I think it would be great if we could farm or buy, possibly with writ vouchers? A special material that could be used when crafting gear to give it the ability to scale to your characters level.

It gets tiresome to craft 3/4 armor sets for each character as you out level the previous ones and with the current inventory system it can be annoying to keep numerous sets of training gear in storage.

Possibly make the scaling top out at CP 150 so these sets can only be used for leveling rather than also at endgame.

Is there any reason why not?
PS4 EU - Daggerfall Covenant
PSN - N_O_B_L_E-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqUlYStV91gCyNgVjSjapbw
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No real reason "why not" but enough differences between games to make it less needed. It was many many years before WoW added heirloom gear and they added it mainly because of the huge increases in level cap ( I believe it was the increase from max level 60 to max level 90 before heirlooms were added).

for existing players leveling to 50 (/cp160) is so fast that crafting gear needs to be done once or twice. If you are a new player then you probably want to go through the entire progression of leveling/crafting for immersion.

If ZOS added what you are asking for you know for certain it would only be offered in the crown store and that would cause a forum storm of "ESO goes Pay to Win" of epic proportions.

PS I totally forgot to add that armor/weapon crafting in WoW is so poor compared to ESO that heirlooms were needed and in ESO they are not
    Edited by dennissomb16_ESO on July 31, 2019 3:11PM
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    seems like a lot of work for little benefit.

i only make 2 sets for leveling (level 16 and level ~36) and decon them when they're no longer needed for that character. leveling is fairly quick and mats are cheap.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd approve of it. It would definitely be a plus.

A little FYI: Never ask for a negative view point on the internet. Many don't require much motivation to shower you with it. Lol
  • UndeniablyAVG
    UndeniablyAVG
    ✭✭✭✭

If ZOS added what you are asking for you know for certain it would only be offered in the crown store and that would cause a forum storm of "ESO goes Pay to Win" of epic proportions.

I personally wouldn't mind paying for it in the crown store and wouldn't see it as pay to win as once again it is a convenience addition.

I guess I can agree with your other points, once the CP grind is complete it is quite quick to get to 50 especially with a scroll. I was leveling a stam nb last night and was just getting irritated thinking i need to craft more armor for it, so could be more a personal laziness issue if no one else is interested. :D
    PSN - N_O_B_L_E-

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leveling & replacing gear in this game is much easier than in WoW. There's a lot less use/"need" for something like the Heirloom armor.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most would not bother, just as easy to craft or pay some to craft an set of gear every 15 levels. The expensive heirloom armor would then clog up your invetory until you created an new alt at next expansion.
    seems like a lot of work for little benefit.

i only make 2 sets for leveling (level 16 and level ~36) and decon them when they're no longer needed for that character. leveling is fairly quick and mats are cheap.
    This and you are free to select the set you want to use. Law of julianos is pretty standard for magic users and require Orcinium DLC or an guild crafting station, the default heritage set would probably be something pretty lame. Also an no cp player will need more sustain than an high cp one.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • UndeniablyAVG
    UndeniablyAVG
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    This and you are free to select the set you want to use. Law of julianos is pretty standard for magic users and require Orcinium DLC or an guild crafting station, the default heritage set would probably be something pretty lame. Also an no cp player will need more sustain than an high cp one.

In my OP I did specify that I would like it to be a special crafting material so you could still choose the set. I personally just go Shackle/Julianos or Hundings on all my leveling characters.

I think one set of armor would clog up your inventory a lot less than multiple armor sets. Also, how is it just as easy to craft multiple sets of armor as it is to craft one? It's a duplicate of effort that could be avoided.

But I can agree that it would be less beneficial to players who have been playing for a long time and have numerous leveled characters. It really would depend on the cost to see if it outweighed the effort.
    PSN - N_O_B_L_E-

• therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea.

I see two conflicts with game design, though.

1) With the One Tamriel update, all levels in the game are standardized at Level 50 / CP 150. New characters are buffed to this level to compete. As the character levels, the buff is reduced, requiring higher level gear to maintain the same effectiveness. A material that levelled with a character's level would subvert that process. This means that all sense of gear progression for levels below 50 would be removed from the game. Gear progression is a familiar and desired mechanic for a large percentage of players.

2) A set of gear crafted from such material would be useable by any character at any level. While this seems desirable, it would remove the motivation to craft for all players except dedicated crafters. And for dedicated crafters, it would convert many of their customers to one-time shoppers. Additionally, a material that levels with the character disincentives players from running overland content to acquire replacement gear and/or to use non-crafted sets. A one-size-fits-all-levels gear material would encourage players to rely on that single crafted because of the advantage it would have over fixed-at-pick-up-level gear.

So I disagree. Such a material should not be introduced.

Applause for thinking outside the box.
  • UndeniablyAVG
    UndeniablyAVG
    ✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    Interesting idea.

I see two conflicts with game design, though.

1) With the One Tamriel update, all levels in the game are standardized at Level 50 / CP 150. New characters are buffed to this level to compete. As the character levels, the buff is reduced, requiring higher level gear to maintain the same effectiveness. A material that levelled with a character's level would subvert that process. This means that all sense of gear progression for levels below 50 would be removed from the game. Gear progression is a familiar and desired mechanic for a large percentage of players.

2) A set of gear crafted from such material would be useable by any character at any level. While this seems desirable, it would remove the motivation to craft for all players except dedicated crafters. And for dedicated crafters, it would convert many of their customers to one-time shoppers. Additionally, a material that levels with the character disincentives players from running overland content to acquire replacement gear and/or to use non-crafted sets. A one-size-fits-all-levels gear material would encourage players to rely on that single crafted because of the advantage it would have over fixed-at-pick-up-level gear.

So I disagree. Such a material should not be introduced.

Applause for thinking outside the box.

I would propose that these material items and items crafted with them are ‘Bind on Pick-up’ or ‘Bind on Acquire’ and only attainable at end game – through writ vouchers or possible vet dungeon / trial rewards.

I agree the system of gear progression is interesting the first or perhaps second time around but after that it becomes stale and is something I would rather skip. This would give me the option to do so without affecting the first time players.

This also would not affect other crafters as I would have to craft this armor myself, also in my experience training gear is usually crafted for free by nice guildies so this might relieve pressure on them. I am not interested in collecting more overland sets I have all of the useful ones in my bank already, this again is something that is interesting for new players but not for long time players.

Thanks for the response :)
    PSN - N_O_B_L_E-

• FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to play WoW as well and heirloom sets made leveling even more brain dead and destroyed low level PvP. No thanks.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • UndeniablyAVG
    UndeniablyAVG
    ✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    I used to play WoW as well and heirloom sets made leveling even more brain dead and destroyed low level PvP. No thanks.

Leveling is braindead anyway, they just used to speed up the process. Problem WoW had is that they made the heirloom items more powerful than other gear and i agree 100% it ruined low level PVP if you didn't have them. Could be possible to top them out at blue quality or something so they don't outperform regular sets. I can see the issue with someone running around with 2 fully golded 5 piece sets in sub 50 Cyro.
    PSN - N_O_B_L_E-

• zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »

Leveling is braindead anyway, they just used to speed up the process. Problem WoW had is that they made the heirloom items more powerful than other gear and i agree 100% it ruined low level PVP if you didn't have them. Could be possible to top them out at blue quality or something so they don't outperform regular sets. I can see the issue with someone running around with 2 fully golded 5 piece sets in sub 50 Cyro.

Dont forget that also stay as strong when he levels up
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On my most recent level up character’s I went with TBS (Twice Born Star) and NMG (Night Mother’s Gaze) for Stam and TBS Daedric Trickery for magic.

My thaughts were the major buffs and mundus values won’t degrade like the armors do as the character levels up.

Early on they felt godlike. At about level 40, the scaling takes a drastic dip for the worse. But manageable.

Just equip level appropriate weapons as you level up. Helps a ton.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would make lower level materials completely pointless, wouldn't it?
    We already have that situation with the scaling food. Why would you use food that you can outlevel if you could use Witchmother's Brew that will always be appropriately leveled?
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Fermian
    Fermian
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like getting new gear while leveling. For me that’s part of the fun. And you don’t need the best gear anyway.

In wow i even stopped using my heirloom items. But i would prefer I didn’t had to nerf my character just to get a better experience. So I would vote against ;).
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to play WoW, and they introduced an 'Heirloom' type of armor that would scale with the characters level, meaning that you didn't have to worry about collecting new armor when leveling an alt character...
    Is there any reason why not?
    Because its not needed.

You level to 50 without worrying about your gear, then get your CP up to 160 without worrying about gear, and THEN get your desired set together... and all further levelling will not affect gear at all.
    And for any new alt... you only do the "level to 50" and then hop on CP-160 gear right away, not having to worry it will become obsolete (tho you might find a set you like more in some new expansion someday)

No worries about having to farm a completely new set of gear when the next DLC raises the level cap by ten... ever.

IF anything, the people at ZOS might completely rethink their gear system. Make it "level-neutral" from the start. But that's unlikely as it would require more rework of the game as is profitable...
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making gear isn’t so bad. What I would like is a reason to play my lowbie toons in the zones instead of feeling the need to power level them to 50 every time I make one. So what I’m asking for is the ability to upgrade gear you find as a lowbie, and not have everything be completely useless.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.