Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furniture moving itself?

Nerouyn
Nerouyn
✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone else have moving furniture?

Several times I've returned to my home to find a custom bench I made out of 3 pieces completely out of whack.

First time I thought I might have imagined it and fixed it. But after spending ages fixing it last night I logged in today and found it like this.

hh36v3ppb7xg.jpg

Obviously the panel on the right is out of place. The bottom panel is also back further than it had been. It had been flush with the counter top.

It's not even like I could have accidentally done an undo to return it to that state, because it had never been in it. To get it absolutely perfect I had it out in the middle of the room and up much higher out of the floor so I could see it from every angle to get it flush. After getting it perfect then I moved it around a lot to get it in the right spot.

It had never been like it is in that screenshot.

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep.

Just happened to me today.

I replaced the kitchen units in my Palace, very carefully placing them, then left and returned to find them completely disjointed and out of whack.

This has happened before with things like vases moving slightly, but this time it was really extreme.

Not only that, but it happened to several of them, at one time, so there was no way I could have accidentally moved all of them before I left.

I am just so used to furnishing, at this point, there is no way I would move something without knowing, anyway.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 27, 2019 1:48AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A paranoid person would wonder if there is some trolling from ZoS staff going on, frankly... xD
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for confirming it's not just me.

Just FYI - which I should have mentioned in my OP - no-one has decorator permissions for this place. Presently no-one even has visitor permissions. I'm furiously decorating and don't want to be disturbed.
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    A paranoid person would wonder if there is some trolling from ZoS staff going on, frankly... xD

I am probably not ZO's favourite person in the world but it would be crazy for them to screw around with anyone like this.

If anything I'd have to assume that this a bug. Since I had to pay money to buy this home and live in Australia where consumer rights are very well protected, I would be a in strong position to have them spanked for this.

I've started regularly screenshotting this and another custom piece.
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this also happens to me, and no one has ever had decorator permissions
  • theskymoves
    theskymoves
    ✭✭✭✭
    No-one has ever entered any of my houses except me, yet I've had items move around on their own, mostly in the garden at Ravenhurst where some candles periodically wander inside a statue... it happens regularly enough that I know where to retrieve them from.
    Edited by theskymoves on July 28, 2019 8:43PM
  • ZAD1ST
    ZAD1ST
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, my floors and walls move. Generally if I leave them they go back after a few visits
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    Thanks for confirming it's not just me.

Just FYI - which I should have mentioned in my OP - no-one has decorator permissions for this place. Presently no-one even has visitor permissions. I'm furiously decorating and don't want to be disturbed.

Ah, OK.

In my case, most of my houses have Visitor permission, but not decorator.

No problem, by the way. :smile:

I am probably not ZO's favourite person in the world but it would be crazy for them to screw around with anyone like this.

If anything I'd have to assume that this a bug. Since I had to pay money to buy this home and live in Australia where consumer rights are very well protected, I would be a in strong position to have them spanked for this.

I've started regularly screenshotting this and another custom piece.

Yeah, it probably is just a bug, but it is kind of unsettling...

Edited by Tigerseye on July 29, 2019 3:12AM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it probably is just a bug, but it is kind of unsettling...

I think I saw it again today - not the full out of whack but the slight indenting of the front piece.

I fully dismantled that one and remade it as something slightly different. Also made some custom shelves using those pieces.

Used the addon to save everything.

Hopefully nothing moves but if it does that should be visible in the backup data.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Weirdly, it seems to happen less and less after the first time you place them.

So, it's rare (if not unknown?) to find that something you placed months ago has moved.

It seems to happen the most obviously immediately after placing the item, then it sometimes happens only very slightly after that (after you have corrected it), then it stops happening entirely.

It's a very bizarre bug...

I sometimes wonder if a disgruntled employee threw some of these bugs in there, on purpose, as revenge, lol.

A leaving gift, or whatever.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 29, 2019 6:01PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bug deep within the housing system. If you look in the game world, you'll see evidence of it. A good example is the golden skull of Beela Kaar in Cyrodillc Collections (Lilmoth). Sometimes up to half the skull is protruding from the back of the display case, sometimes none. :)
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this happens more often than I would like.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you using addons for placing furniture? I had some terrible troubles with moving and even vanishing furnishings when I decided to give in to the peer pressures and try out some housing addons, I’ve not used them since, because as all housing people know, it can take hours to get a place to look perfect. I’m not messing around with that anymore :joy::joy::joy:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using addons for placing furniture? I had some terrible troubles with moving and even vanishing furnishings when I decided to give in to the peer pressures and try out some housing addons, I’ve not used them since, because as all housing people know, it can take hours to get a place to look perfect. I’m not messing around with that anymore :joy::joy::joy:

In my case, I have EHT installed, but I don't use it to place things.

• Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ve never had furnishings move without housing addons installed in any of my houses, apart from during the pts some time ago, when there was an odd bug that moved items when you moved other, unconnected items, I think that was related to the addition of the item ‘linking’. I’ve never seen that on live, but maybe it somehow didn’t get entirely fixed...?

The house I attempted to use addons in, which was a custom build that had taken me a few days to build, was completely destroyed, and that was down to having housing addons installed.

It could be the bug that made it through after all of this time somehow, but it is unlikely that those of us who are decorating addicts in game would not have come across this, if it were the case.

If you have addons for housing installed, it is most certainly those which are causing your furniture to move.
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on July 30, 2019 8:23AM

• Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

EHT was the addon that sadly ruined a custom build I spent days working on :confounded: it is a great addon, but it does do some funky stuff like that.
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on July 30, 2019 3:13AM

• SilentFox22
    SilentFox22
    ✭✭✭
    It's been happening to me constantly since around the time I installed EHT. Really only been making use of the program's magic carpet feature so prob going to uninstall it anyways to see if that fixes it
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

EHT was the addon that sadly ruined a custom build I spent days working on :confounded: it is a great addon, but it does do some funky stuff like that.

Even if you don't use it to place things?
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, whatever you use the addon for, that is what is causing your poltergeist problem, it’s not an issue with the base game itself.

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes, whatever you use the addon for, that is what is causing your poltergeist problem, it’s not an issue with the base game itself.

Ah Ok, thank you. :smile:
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't use EHT or any other housing add on, and it happens.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BigBragg wrote: »
    I don't use EHT or any other housing add on, and it happens.

Yeah, I thought it had happened to me, to a lesser extent (tiny movements of vases etc.), before I had EHT, but I couldn't remember exactly.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's only ever happened to me the once, when I was trying out the addons, and I build and decorate almost on a daily basis! The only other time I have ever seen or heard of this happening without it being the fault of addons was when there was the odd bug on pts before furniture linking was released on live! If you aren't using addons and it happens, perhaps it is the house you are using? Which house does it happen in? I can ask around and see if other people have had issues in it.

• Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I asked about it and somebody said that occasionally if you have lots of items grouped together, and then leave and come back, they can move very slightly, so perhaps that is your problem, if you don't have addons? Maybe try to ungroup things after placing them and see if it still happens? It's not really ideal, but ZOS will likely take a year to fix it, if that is what is causing your items to move :neutral:

• Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a vanilla housing person (i.e., never used any add-ons for ESO) and have not run into the poltergeist problem yet. Unresponsive workstations, yes. Items dis-positioning themselves after letting go of the positioning mouse button, yes. Furniture moving of its own accord after I leave, no.
    And it's not as if I was a casual 'houser' - housing/decorating is my personal end game and takes most of my game time. So the add-on thesis seems plausible to me.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm a vanilla housing person (i.e., never used any add-ons for ESO) and have not run into the poltergeist problem yet. Unresponsive workstations, yes. Items dis-positioning themselves after letting go of the positioning mouse button, yes. Furniture moving of its own accord after I leave, no.
    And it's not as if I was a casual 'houser' - housing/decorating is my personal end game and takes most of my game time. So the add-on thesis seems plausible to me.

Same here, I decorate all of the time and it has never happened to me! Aside from the two occasions I mentioned! Caused by addons and a pts bug.

• Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using addons for placing furniture?

Originally no. I had no housing addons.

After experiencing this bug causing me to have spend a huge amount of time realigning custom furnishings, I installed EHT so I could create saves.

But I enable it on one character to save and then immediately disable it.

The bug still occurs. I've just encountered it again with another piece. It's dark - sorry I'm still finishing that room - but these two cabinets had been perfectly joined without even a hint of a crack. For days if not weeks. They were fine a few hours ago. Then this afternoon I logged in and found them like this with a sizable gap in between.

KEoQTV7.jpg

It's been a few days since I enabled EHT to do a save so I couldn't revert. EHT is definitely not the culprit.
    I asked about it and somebody said that occasionally if you have lots of items grouped together, and then leave and come back, they can move very slightly, so perhaps that is your problem, if you don't have addons?

They're grouped items, yes. But not a huge number of them.

In the first instance with the custom counter, 3 items.

With these drawers just the 2.
    Maybe try to ungroup things after placing them and see if it still happens?

That's a theory we can test.

After I've finished decorating and done my tour video, I'll create duplicates of both these custom pieces. I'll ungroup the ones I'm actually using inside the house. I'll leave duplicate sets linked outside.

I really hope this isn't the problem though. A few of my custom pieces can't be relinked because some of the components are inside others and can't be selected for linking. They were also very difficult to position.

If this does turn out to be the problem, I'm going to have to leave them linked and just restore the house from a save periodically.
    Which house does it happen in?

Tel Galen.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found the save grouped set of items thingy in EHT so I've run around my house saving all of those.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a bug deep within the housing system. If you look in the game world, you'll see evidence of it. A good example is the golden skull of Beela Kaar in Cyrodillc Collections (Lilmoth). Sometimes up to half the skull is protruding from the back of the display case, sometimes none. :)

I haven't seen that one but now that you mention it I have encountered several lore books which are bugged.

Sometimes I find them exactly where they should be.

Other times I find them slightly displaced - which can be inside other items making them unreachable. I can see their blue glow and map icon.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Happened to me today. I normally have 4 urns placed on top of an altar, with the urns linked to the altar as the parent furnishing. When I zoned in today, I noticed all 4 urns missing. The altar was still where it was before. I started to panic because those 4 urns came from a Crown Store furnishing pack and can't be crafted or bought.

Luckily, I found the urns in the Retrieve menu, all 4 ended up 241-ish meters away, no idea where probably underground somewhere or outside the limits of the house. It was also odd that all 4 moved, since the urns aren't linked to each other, just each linked to the parent. Anyway I moved them back to their correct place (without putting them away in my inventory, just grabbing them from retrieve and placing them on the altar), and when I was done and tried to move the altar, the urns moved with it, so they were still linked to it after mysteriously disappearing together somewhere. Super strange.

Items moving slightly (like Crafting Stations suddenly becoming uninteractable) has been happening before, but this is the first time I saw a bunch of items teleport far away so they have to be retrieved from the menu. They were all linked to a parent (though they weren't linked to each other, yet they moved together while the parent didn't move), so it might be an issue with the linking function. Oh, yeah, I don't use any furnishing AddOns, forgot to say.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    It was also odd that all 4 moved, since the urns aren't linked to each other, just each linked to the parent.

Unbound item location data is probably stored as co-ordinates and orientation relative to a given point in the house.

Bound item location data is probably stored as co-ordinates and orientation relative to the parent item, with the parent item treated as an unbound item.

The game might lookup and load bound and unbound items separately.

If the game makes an error with the parent item's location when placing bound items that would result in one or more of the child items being displaced.