Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Tried all classes - help me decide

LemonWatcher
LemonWatcher
Soul Shriven
Hello I'm trying to decide on which class to level, I've found out that I prefer magic, like to survive solo (I don't want to rely on pets) I like dealing a massive amount of damage and I like to switch between melee and ranged freely (melee for trash, ranged for bosses).

I've managed to level each class to level 6 and still can't decide, every class seems to offer something I want. pve is my primary focus but I will be pvping a quite a lot. Sorcerer is insanely strong but the destruction staff and magic seemed a bit bland, DK has cool fire effects and high damage but feels more of a melee class, templar feels geared towards healing rather than dps but has good survivability and I've never really enjoyed rogue classes apart from the stealth but I think any class can use stealth?

Can anyone help me? is my only option sorcerer class? Is sorcerer more interesting than it looks? I always have trouble picking a class, I only have 2 weeks off to play, I really need help.

• Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    i think your best choices are either DK or Sorceror im afraid. DK may feel a bit meleeish but it can be geared into a full on caster so maybe thats the way to go if Sorc feels too bland for you
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • AlchemyDevil
    AlchemyDevil
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion from what you have stated I would look into Caster Templar (Magika focused), you get more outright dps than a Sorc and the benefit of being able to heal yourself. Awsome ranged and melee skill sets... it seems like its the perfect fit for you.
  • Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so happy there's finally a game where altitis isn't a crippling disease! I plan on using up all my alt slots exploring builds that match my preferred play style for each class.

That being said, I too would suggest Templar, as my Templar is pretty much as you've described. I wear heavy armor, sword and board, but I put most of my skill points in light magic. I cast a few spells, and chop away.

Best of all, I can swap out to a resto staff and start slinging heals all around.

It's probably my favorite build so far, but my first mage is just coming in to his own, and mages have always been my favorite in every other MMORPG (aside from SWTOR, but Gunslinger is really kinda magey anyway.)
  • LemonWatcher
    LemonWatcher
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll continue to level my templar and test out casting.
  • Athise
    Athise
    Templar and AoE like a boss in PvE , be usefull as a lowbee in pvp by healing. or you can always try to nuke but it's barely makes a diffirence because of the scaling.
    You have the choice between , tank/dps/heal and the syngery between the talenttrees are decent.
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Templar. You can do everything you mentioned, and a nice bonus is that you can slot healing spells with any weapon set, you don't need a resto staff.

You might go with a stamina heavy build for extra damage with bow and melee weapons, and save magicka for CC and heals. You get good damage and nice survivability.

Of course, you said you prefer magic so this might not be your cup of tea, so an alternative is to go heavy magicka build with staff for ranged attacks and the other for melee combat where you can slot Aedric Spear skills - as magical as melee can get. ;)

I only wish we could wield physical spears, with a nice ornate spear it would look awesome.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Classes honestly do not matter in game.

You mentioned a sorcerer with a destruction staff... You can have a Dragonknight or Nightblade with a destruction staff and be as good as any sorcerer.

Heck, you dont even have to pick a single class skill. You have the Guilds and World skills, weapon skills and of course the armor. So many choices. The classes are but only flavor. You just have to make a choice between Cherry, Grape, Strawberry and Banana.