Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stealing spoons

Censorious
Censorious
✭✭✭✭
Is it only me who finds something immoral about going into houses and rifling through the desks, bookshelves and chests looking for stuff to steal, often while the occupant is standing there apparently unaware?

It's like going to a dinner party and walking away with half the silverware cutlery under your coat.
It genuinely makes me feel uncomfortable. :)
Edited by Censorious on April 13, 2014 7:00AM
'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    if it makes you feel any better, crouch into stealth mode first :wink:
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been part of elder scroll since Daggerfall, also common in lots of RPG but not MMO. some chance it will change with the thief guild :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    This has been part of elder scroll since Daggerfall, also common in lots of RPG but not MMO. some chance it will change with the thief guild :)

I kind of agree with the OP. In the other TES games, I usually didn't steal from containers in private houses unless required to by a quest.

The stuff on the street, though, was fair game.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MaxBat‌
    No the stuff on the street sre the beggars territory you low thief!
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    @Yakidafi‌ Don't you know? The Beggars are all working for the Gray Fox.

• Trainerdc
    Trainerdc
    ✭✭
    Well I have to " inspect" them for traps... and ... other things
    "You are far too hard on yourself, my dear, sweet, homicidally insane Pelagius. What would the people do without you? Dance? Sing? Smile? Grow old?"
    -Sheogorath
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »
    Is it only me who finds something immoral about going into houses and rifling through the desks, bookshelves and chests looking for stuff to steal, often while the occupant is standing there apparently unaware?

It's like going to a dinner party and walking away with half the silverware cutlery under your coat.
    There's actually a book about this you find on the starter islands.
    It says something to the effect of 'You're doing great deeds so you're often allowed by people (NPCs) to take a sample of items from their barrels/crates etc etc, but not the whole lot.'. Kind of a thank you for helping save the world sort of thing.
    The book also goes on to say however it's rude to take everything. That's why when we open a full barrel of something we're only given the option of taking such things as one or two pieces of capon meat, and not the whole barrel-full, which would be something like 100. So don't feel too bad.
    Of course, we don't have to take anything if we don't want to either. In the end it's ultimately up to us.

If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Worricow
    Worricow
    Soul Shriven
    I've played a female elf/thief/scoundrel in every mmo/rpg I have ever played. My first char is always a red-headed ranged burg type just so I can feel the game out.

I ALWAYS grab everything for the first month and create a plan concerning profit ventures.

The limited storage of ESO is trending me to four mules, with four mains.

I'm used to similar set-ups on other MMO's, and the wait time between char loads is not an issue to me. My play style is read everything and investigate everything.

I'm working on the concept of one Main, and three alts. I'm hoping three mules will suffice.

Back on topic...

I take everything that isn't tied down.

And those empty bottles? I have a pile of them outside my window.
    Edited by Worricow on April 13, 2014 8:16AM
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭

There's actually a book about this you find on the starter islands.
    It says something to the effect of 'You're doing great deeds so you're often allowed by people (NPCs) to take a sample of items from their barrels/crates etc etc, but not the whole lot.'. Kind of a thank you for helping save the world sort of thing.
    The book also goes on to say however it's rude to take everything. That's why when we open a full barrel of something we're only given the option of taking such things as one or two pieces of capon meat, and not the whole barrel-full, which would be something like 100. So don't feel too bad.
    Of course, we don't have to take anything if we don't want to either. In the end it's ultimately up to us.

Lol interesting...

Note to Zenimax: Wouldn't it be better and more appropriate to just outright ask the home owners specific items/ingredients that we want since we are given this privilege rather than steal stuffs where the owners are fully aware of your intention? :)
    Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
    TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
    TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
    TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one lol. I try to rationalize it to myself by saying I'm just reading the books not taking them, and they probably already know the recipes! :blush: I almost never take other stuff unless it's lockpicks cause I figure they must be more a thief than I am! :sunglasses:
    Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    It bothered me in the beginning, but as the NPC residents aren't the ones throwing themselves up against brick-wall bosses repeatedly, or having to repair their gear (or make new gear every few levels besides), I figure we need the help a little more than they do. I think they're okay with the tradeoff, as they lounge around their comfy fireplaces indoors or plant flowers outside instead. :D
    Edited by Thesiren on April 13, 2014 12:01PM
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Lol interesting...

Note to Zenimax: Wouldn't it be better and more appropriate to just outright ask the home owners specific items/ingredients that we want since we are given this privilege rather than steal stuffs where the owners are fully aware of your intention? :)

There was that moment in the beginning of Skyrim that always made me smile: when Alvor would say: "Take what you need, my friend. Within reason, of course."

I'm not sure what he meant by "within reason" but for me it meant those five iron and steel bars were gone ...

• Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I should have named my character Lobelia.
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm more disturbed by Pork, Congealed Guar Omelettes, and Wriggles-in-Gullet being found in wardrobes and desks...
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes, i wish the npcs would have a fit and begin to beat you and guards show up and show you the door if caught. nothing breaks immersion like walking behind a store counter next to the clerk and riffling all his goods while he watches and says 'hello'
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'thief' flag on items in houses in not in game yet. Make the most of robbing the houses blind while you can.
  • Anthony45122
    Anthony45122
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    The 'thief' flag on items in houses in not in game yet. Make the most of robbing the houses blind while you can.
    This!
    You are simply taking items they have lying around their house, why should they have to gather them up just to give them to you? That would also stray from the Elder Scrolls concept of being able to go around and loot things lying around, in barrels, crates, etc.
    When the thieves guild is introduced there may become a *steal* action instead of the simple take one we have now. Of course this is self-explanatory to most ES fans others may not know so i'll state it. Taking something with the *steal* action gives you a *stolen* item which can only be sold to certain people (usually thieves guild members called Fences). Taking something with the *take* option as it is now gives you a regular item. In previous elder scrolls games certain people wouldn't let you take items from their house when you first met them, but after doing a quest for them they become your friend and allow you to take items. This makes the *steal* option in that house become *take*.
    I am hoping this is the way they do it once the thieves guild is released :) .
    Edited by Anthony45122 on April 14, 2014 12:14AM
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I don't know. For me, it more than makes up for it when the tenant is a snooty high elf who looks at me as though I smell bad and can't talk about anything but how much better he is. Then I take EVERYTHING, even if I don't want it.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey! I am a high-elf!
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.