Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Maelstrom Style

midgetfromtheshire
midgetfromtheshire
✭✭✭✭
So it looks like we will be getting the Maelstrom outfit style with the upcoming Orsinium anniversary.

Hopefully we will get the Master style sometime as well.

PszuaJT.png
Get rid of faction locks.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still an advocate of making these styles available on vet clears only ... since vMA and vDSA weapons only drop in vet mode.

That way, players who have put in the requisite time and effort to clear the arenas are the only ones that can display the style.

BZV1JbM.png
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on June 23, 2019 12:09AM
  • midgetfromtheshire
    midgetfromtheshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still an advocate of making these styles available on vet clears only ... since vMA and vDSA weapons only drop in vet mode.

That way, players who have put in the requisite time and effort to clear the arenas are the only ones that can display the style.

BZV1JbM.png

It still might only drop on vet clears. Similar to the dungeon masks.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

BZV1JbM.png

Respectfully disagree. You don't have to do most vet content to get styles from that content.
  • BrianLovesLisa
    BrianLovesLisa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The style is Ugly IMO, and I always skin over all my vMA weapons, that being said players who "can't" do vMA do not deserve to have a vMA style.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

BZV1JbM.png

Respectfully disagree. You don't have to do most vet content to get styles from that content.

If you look at most of the other game content you'd be right ... but in Maelstrom Arena you only receive the Maelstrom weapons by completing the vet content. Same with Dragonstar Arena.
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wont matter if the style pages can be sold. Every noob in the game gonna be running around talking about how they got their perfect trait inferno staff when in reality it's just a crafted none set blue nord style staff.
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one looks at the style of your weapon to check what kind of weapon it is since the outfitter update. If you want to know if someone has the actual weapon you have them link it. It's hardly a style worth coveting and should absolutely drop on normal because style doesn't = skill or ability
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IonicKai wrote: »
    No one looks at the style of your weapon to check what kind of weapon it is since the outfitter update. If you want to know if someone has the actual weapon you have them link it. It's hardly a style worth coveting and should absolutely drop on normal because style doesn't = skill or ability

Nonsense! Style is totally indicative of mad fashion design skills and abilities! :p
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed vMA no deaths once, after that I have no interest in ever suffering another minute in that place... If the motif is vet only i'll pass.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an issue with people who have not defeated Vet getting it from Normal. Its a style! For Fun and Decoration. Especially when its one big luck fest to get a style to drop anyway. How long does anyone want to bang there head on the wall in there to try and get a drop, solo. Ughh, no thanks. Poor odds already, and vet would just make it bloody impossible for the vast majority. And yes I have cleared it multiple times.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope we get double style drop (like weapons in Orsinum event)
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Maelstrom style preview at the Outfit Station I believe says “Vet Maelstrom Arena”.

Not at home at the moment ... can anyone in-game confirm?
  • midgetfromtheshire
    midgetfromtheshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope it still just says Maelstrom Arena, no indicator whether it's vet or not.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    According to PTS testing the style has a guaranteed drop on vet and a chance to drop on normal. The pages are also not bound so they can be sold. PLUS they will be available to purchase with event tickets. Players don't even have to step foot on the arena to get the style.

So, whether it's restricted to vet only doesn't matter, since players can sell them (or buy them with event tickets). And there's no way anyone who clears it on vet and gets a duplicate isn't going to try and make gold off of it.

From PTS Patch Notes v5.0.3:

Orsinium Celebration Event
    During this week on the PTS, you can travel to the ancient home of the Orcs and earn bonuses for adventuring in Wrothgar, including Maelstrom Arena.
    Rewards during this event include:
    Double Maelstrom Arena drops
    Double Material Harvesting yield in Wrothgar
    Double rewards for completing Delve and World Boss dailies in Wrothgar
    You will also be able to earn Outfit Style pages for the Maelstrom weapons in the Arena. These have a chance to drop in Normal mode, and are guaranteed to drop in Veteran.
    Along with feathers and berries, the Impresario will also have some new items to offer during the event.
    Maelstrom Outfit Style Pages will be available for 5 tickets each.
    The Impresario will also sell a number of pieces of Orcish Furniture, such as braziers, tapestries, and a statue, to help fill your war room. These range in price from 1 to 2 Event Tickets per item, and you can purchase as many as you like.
    You earn 2 Event Tickets once per day, per account, for completing any Delve and World Bosses each day in Wrothgar.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on July 9, 2019 5:25PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    According to PTS testing the style has a guaranteed drop on vet and a chance to drop on normal. The pages are also not bound so they can be sold. PLUS they will be available to purchase with event tickets. Players don't even have to step foot on the arena to get the style.

Thanks for the information! I'm officially excited about this now! =)
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pages are also not bound so they can be sold. PLUS they will be available to purchase with event tickets. Players don't even have to step foot on the arena to get the style.

130 runs in vma to drop an inferno staff and now everyone can change the appearance of his seducer/necropotence/julianos staff as mine.

This thing hurts me soooooooooo much
    PC-EU
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it looks like we will be getting the Maelstrom outfit style with the upcoming Orsinium anniversary.

PszuaJT.png
    I wonder what is the reasoning behind this.. So What.. I can buy it to pretend I have Maelstrom weapon ? Is that what is it here for ?!
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PszuaJT.png
    I wonder what is the reasoning behind this.. So What.. I can buy it to pretend I have Maelstrom weapon ? Is that what is it here for ?!

Some people may just like that style with no intentions of using it as claim to have beaten vMA. I mean.. I have maelstrom staves that I use on all my magicka characters, but I've only completed vMA on my sorc... I realize that's not exactly the same thing, but it's still misrepresenting that character's abilities.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• AlboMalefica
    AlboMalefica
    ✭✭✭✭
    They will be available to buy with event tickets too
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Daggers and Staves styles look really awesome but I always end up hiding the other pieces with another outfit style because they don't really look that great imo specially the bow which just looks way to big. Hopefully the style pages are only available in vet though.
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »
    The pages are also not bound so they can be sold. PLUS they will be available to purchase with event tickets. Players don't even have to step foot on the arena to get the style.

130 runs in vma to drop an inferno staff and now everyone can change the appearance of his seducer/necropotence/julianos staff as mine.

I'm sorry it took 130 runs that's rough but I still don't understand the argument to protect a style page behind vet content most players cannot beat when it will be purchasable and tradable by other means. Do you really think the style is that worth showing off? It's not like having a weapon that looks like the maelstrom weapon magically gives you more DPS. It's cosmetic and means exactly nothing to what you as a player are capable of.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you really think the style is that worth showing off? It's not like having a weapon that looks like the maelstrom weapon magically gives you more DPS. It's cosmetic and means exactly nothing to what you as a player are capable of.

If we were to use your flawed logic, then everyone should also have access to the Sunspire Senche Mount too ...because it’s cosmetic and means exactly nothing to what you as a player are capable of.

XeMPUlK.jpg
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on July 16, 2019 12:52AM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't disagree with those here wanting the pages to be locked behind vet maelstrom. However, if they were to do that, then logically, the pages would have to be bind on pickup so that players who earn duplicates cannot sell them to players, right? If you don't want players to have these unless they've earned them, then they should not be allowed to be sold to players who haven't earned them.

That would then, require either that players just have to destroy duplicates or adjust the loot table so that earned pages are removed from it. Which would work, of course, but ZOS has never done that before to my knowledge.

So, we're left with players getting duplicates that they would have to destroy if we are to preserve the "only players who can run that content can have them."

I suspect that many players wouldn't mind making a ton of gold selling these to other players and wouldn't care one bit whether the buyer had ever set foot in vet maelstrom. Since these are not bound and will be tradable, there is no point in having them drop only in vet maelstrom. Well, I guess there would be a point - they would be the only ones able to sell them and make gold. So, that would be ok, but it would still lead to players having the style without ever having done vMA.

Plus, as I said before, they'll be available for event tickets, but tickets are limited so players would probably buy only one or two that they really liked, or more if they don't care about the Indriks.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is precedent the other way though, too, @Jayne_Doe.

Most notably the Skyforge Smith Hammer style ... only available to players who have achieved Gramd Master Crafter.

Also there are the Gladiator styles in PvP ... only available through turning in Gladiator proofs.

So, there is prior precedent for gating styles behind achievements or content.

The Event won’t be for a few more weeks. ZOS still has time to make this available for vMA clears only.
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's cosmetic and means exactly nothing to what you as a player are capable of.

it's not cosmetic only, it's a medal that shows that you have completed a hard content, exactly like trial skins and (IMHO) the people who buy skins, flawless, arena weapons and vMa style pages just for cosmetics are one of the worst parts of the game.

If you want an item do the content, it's called meritocracy
    PC-EU
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

BZV1JbM.png

If you look at most of the other game content you'd be right ... but in Maelstrom Arena you only receive the Maelstrom weapons by completing the vet content. Same with Dragonstar Arena.

I forget, which style pages drop from dsa?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BZV1JbM.png

I forget, which style pages drop from dsa?

ZOS hasn’t added the unique weapon style pages for DSA yet ... such as the Master’s Restoration Staff pictured below. Don’t know if that’s even planned by ZOS.

rRASF7L.png

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

it's not cosmetic only, it's a medal that shows that you have completed a hard content, exactly like trial skins and (IMHO) the people who buy skins, flawless, arena weapons and vMa style pages just for cosmetics are one of the worst parts of the game.

At what point are you relying on looking at someone's visible weapons to figure out what they are running? If I want to know if someone has cleared vMA, I'd ask for the achievement or the title. If I want to know that they're using the weapon, I'd ask for an item link or a build screenshot (superstar, etc). People are also capable of masking a vma weapon with a different style, for cosmetic reasons. Because of this, I don't regard style pages as problematic.
    I'll also point out that although Gladiator proofs are bound, the runeboxes that you make with them are tradeable.
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭

Do you really think the style is that worth showing off? It's not like having a weapon that looks like the maelstrom weapon magically gives you more DPS. It's cosmetic and means exactly nothing to what you as a player are capable of.

If we were to use your flawed logic, then everyone should also have access to the Sunspire Senche Mount too ...because it’s cosmetic and means exactly nothing to what you as a player are capable of.

XeMPUlK.jpg

A style page for a weapon is not equivalent to a mount. Your inferring comparing apples to oranges and they will be trade able regardless of whether they are behind vMA or not so I ask again why.

Almost no one that I have seen running around uses the maelstrom style. It's almost always overwritten and if you want to boast the title is easier to see and a better view of the accomplishment.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

XeMPUlK.jpg

A style page for a weapon is not equivalent to a mount. Your inferring comparing apples to oranges and they will be trade able regardless of whether they are behind vMA or not so I ask again why.

Almost no one that I have seen running around uses the maelstrom style. It's almost always overwritten and if you want to boast the title is easier to see and a better view of the accomplishment.

So many games have this concept of vanity items, stuff that is very hard to get, low drop rate or player skill/effort related.

Some weapons have an unique appearance exactly because of this. The fact that some people chose to hide that unique look is their choice, but I dislike the idea of giving a visual style of a very hard to get weapon to anyone who has the gold to buy it. The visuals and the weapon are linked, it is not like the vMA is ancient elf style, can be crafted or there are many other weapons with the same style. No... if you see it, you know that person worked hard or very hard to get it. Many people farmed vMA for their staves or bows for many many attempts, I heard people complaining about 30-50 runs with no luck on their desired weapon. So the skin of that weapon shows a lot of commitment and effort put by the player. It is part of the reward, same like the baron polymorph. These weapons are in the same area with the hard mode or veteran skins from other trials. I hope they make the style pages BoP and available on a NPC at the end of the vet MA.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter