The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Text Illegible since todays patch HELP (pics)

Coatmagic
Coatmagic
✭✭✭✭✭
Am having no other graphical issues.
All addons have been turned off.
Husband having exact same issue (with addons turned on) on a separate machine o.O
No one in zone chat has any idea what I'm talking about so... any ideas???

at5PIFY.jpg
Zv19S8o.jpg
Edited by ZOS_Bill on March 12, 2024 4:44PM
  • Twyst
    Twyst
    ✭✭✭
    Font scales with UI scaling. Disable it (it is by default) or turn it on and make it bigger.
    Other than that, ensure your display drivers are up to date.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twyst wrote: »
    Font scales with UI scaling. Disable it (it is by default) or turn it on and make it bigger.

Everything is up to date thanks and yeah, we have been playing with things same as everyone else.

Unfortunately, it is unacceptable to expect anyone to play an MMO like this having to choose between text and graphics.

Not sure what ZoS thinks they did, but they need to undo it -_-
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Coatmagic

What resolution do you have ESO set to?

Are you playing in full screen or Windowed mode?

If you have SubSampling set to High in your UI settings, try changing it to Medium or Low.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Coatmagic

If you have SubSampling set to High in your UI settings, try changing it to Medium or Low.

The only resolution that fixes the text is maximum, in which case my character is stretched out tall and squished skinny and I lose about 30 fps. (See the other post on this in general.)

Playing in full-screen (windowed mode fixes text because it sets resolution to native screen resolution but game does not run properly at that resolution).

Setting sub-sampling to medium makes the text look great and the graphics look like *** (and you should know this unless you've never played the game!)

• Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same thing for me. It's BAD. It is REALLY BAD. I wear glasses and cannot read the text. I heard the only solution is to increase resolution and lower sampling quality and that will lower FPS noticeably. I am considering not playing anymore.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How do I do that. I cannot read so much in the game now.
  • Twyst
    Twyst
    ✭✭✭
    I only know how to do it via the UI which you have said you can't read. Hopefully someone can tell you a file to edit to try to fix.
  • Azorean
    Azorean
    ✭✭✭
    @Coatmagic

I'm sorry this is no solution. We didn't have this problem before the patch.
    I can barely play now. I'm having ~10fps on dungeons when yesterday I had no problem at all.
    It dropped tops 20 in trials when the fight was intense.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from all the PCs/NPCs being stretched tall and squished skinny, if I run in windowed game looks great but it's unplayable because of the fps drop... honestly, wouldn't want to play with the avatars all messed up like that anyhow.

Sub-sampling is completely broken, so when I go back to full-screen at a proper resolution (avatars at proper proportions),
    sub-sampling has to be set to med (text is a little better/graphics worse), or low (text is legible/graphics are crap).

• Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So the patch broke text scaling as it doesn't scale anymore. The only way to make the text legible is to go through resolutions until I find one that works but that affects performance and visuals. :(

Edited by Red_Feather on July 1, 2019 10:12PM
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    same for me - text is blurred since todays patch

stop breaking the game zos with unnecessary crappy patches
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    S.N.A.F.U.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Agaos
    Agaos
    Soul Shriven
    Same for me as well. I have googled around and tried a lot of things without succeeding. While yesterdays maintenance server down I also got a windows 10 cumulative update so I was first unsure if the blurry text was because of the windows update or because of the ESO update.

I also have the impression that there is something wrong with the textures. They dont seem so crisp as they did 2 days ago. But this could med just my imagination.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not your imagination.

As it is, I was had to do A LOT of digging to find a happy medium to have the game look pretty and still have workable fps.

Now, it is impossible, because if I drop resolution below maximum (to save fps) I can no longer read the text without dropping sub-sampling to Low in which case the game looks like absolute garbage.

And, apparently, no one @ZOS_BillE really gives a skeevers backside...?
    Edited by Coatmagic on July 2, 2019 12:28PM
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure AA is on
    Use the custom interface scale or set to automatic to make the text as sharp as possible. Note, my AA is off because my screen res is so high I don't need it.

Np8BZNV.jpg
    Edited by Mathius_Mordred on July 2, 2019 11:08AM
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    I have this effect on controls scaled down with control:SetScale(0.975).
    But not with other controls. CustomUIScaling is disabled. Windowed Fullscreen.

It looks like the default smoothing method is set to "nearest neighbor".

I have not tested, if control:SetPixelRoundingEnabled(true) would help, yet.
    Edited by votan73 on July 2, 2019 11:46AM
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very unhappy being forced to run my game in 4k because of something ZOS-side. I run in 1920x1080 with texture high subsample high......having to run 4k with medium subsample is making my fps issues even worse.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Rinriel
    Rinriel
    Soul Shriven
    I have a.. "fix" for this. More like a band-aid because this is not how a game should be run and the dev should be fixing this on their end, not user's end.

For those using in-game resolution that is lower than native/desktop resolution:
    1. Change your desktop resolution to match your game's resolution before launching the game. You may start the launcher first if you want to.
    2. (Optional) Once you are in your game, alt+tab out and change your desktop resolution back.
    3. Enjoy a crispy ui and text game play that puts the past blurry ui to shame.

tldr: The game scale to our native/desktop resolution on launch, not the game's own resolution. Change resolution before gaming.

Edit- Better explanation.
    Edited by Rinriel on July 2, 2019 12:56PM
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ what Sheezabeast said.

So my options are: play with an glorious fps of about 10 or game looks like $h!t.

Thanks a lot?
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinriel wrote: »
    I have a.. "fix" for this. More like a band-aid because this is not how a game should be run and the dev should be fixing this on their end, not user's end.

For those using in-game resolution that is lower than native/desktop resolution:
    1. Change your desktop resolution before launching the game. You may start the launcher first if you want to.
    2. (Optional) Once you are in your game, alt+tab out and change your desktop resolution back.

tldr: The game scale to our native/desktop resolution on launch, not the game's own resolution. Change resolution before gaming.

Those are completely unreasonable hoops for consumers to jump through to run a game with several live bugs that don't get addressed for years. We already swallow a lot of issues just to get stable gameplay (those of us who can) and the gall of them to make us have to go out of our way to make the game playable, to the extent it changes what resolution we run our DESKTOP in....it's gross and bad.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Rinriel
    Rinriel
    Soul Shriven
    Those are completely unreasonable hoops for consumers to jump through to run a game with several live bugs that don't get addressed for years. We already swallow a lot of issues just to get stable gameplay (those of us who can) and the gall of them to make us have to go out of our way to make the game playable, to the extent it changes what resolution we run our DESKTOP in....it's gross and bad.

Sorry, like I've said, it's just a band-aid I discovered working for me and decided to share to others so that they can at least still play properly without using what @ZOS_BillE suggested.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, like I've said, it's just a band-aid I discovered working for me and decided to share to others so that they can at least still play properly without using what @ZOS_BillE suggested.

oh you shouldn't say sorry, that needs to come from ZOS. Thanks for sharing another work-around.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changed desktop resolution then thought to myself, wait, wth am I making my entire PC environment look like crap so that I run this game...

And still no response.

• ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi all, just letting you know we're currently testing a fix for this issue now, and plan to publish it in a future incremental patch. Thanks for all the additional info.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Azorean
    Azorean
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, just letting you know we're currently testing a fix for this issue now, and plan to publish it in a future incremental patch. Thanks for all the additional info.

That means what? Next patch DLC?
  • Agaos
    Agaos
    Soul Shriven

Great! Looking forward to it! :)
  • Agaos
    Agaos
    Soul Shriven

1. Change your desktop resolution to match your game's resolution before launching the game. You may start the launcher first if you want to.

Edit- Better explanation.

Thanks! That made it working for me.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I guess? This is the same thing that was said about the stuck-in-combat bug.....and no fix yet....

Let's hope this test goes better. If not, the content I can engage in changes, being forced to run my game in 4k.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Coatmagic

Thanks for giving this issue attention. Can we assume this being looked at for sooner rather than later? The solution I found ate a chunk of my already poor frames, so I'm very anxious here.
This discussion has been closed.