The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Update messed graphics

ZonasArch
ZonasArch
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I play on a 1920x1080 native monitor at 1366x768 resolution in game. Before update, things looked slightly blurry, but readable, now they looked sharper, it seems, but with unreadable quality. Aside from the update, nothing else changed.

Only texts changed, the rest of the game looks the same, so do the my add-ons interface "things" like maps and skill bar.

It's like before the game was trying to smooth out the texts scaling the resolution, hence the blurriness, and now it's literally just making text pixels disappear, instead of interpolating them to fill the missing pixels.

Any ideas what could have happened? Thanks.
Edited by ZonasArch on July 1, 2019 1:44PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, make sure all your addons are updated. Although on PC I don't use addons, so I wouldn't know if they are optimised at certain resolutions but others can advise on that. Also, I've never had occasion to reload the UI but those that have may be able to advise whether that may be a solution.

Second, run the repair option from the launcher.

Third, try switching the resolution and then back again, or simply use the native resolution and see if that fixes it.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, so... Changing the subsampling option from high to medium made the whole game look like poop, but the texts for super sharp and perfect.

My guess is there was some change in how subsampling is working between game and texts, since I didn't mess with any of this before the update or after.

Any ideas where in the settings file I can change subsampling for individual aspects of the interface?
  • Druid40
    Druid40
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try putting subsampling back on high and see if everything looks fine.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I messed with things a bit... Put the game on native res, and subsampling on medium, texts are super sharp, and game looks the same as it did before update, so it's a victory, even if bittersweet a bit. I got same looks, sharp text and lost frames from 35 or so to 32 on my controlled test in house. Not too bad.

That said, I also tested like @Druid40 suggested, didn't work, at least not with game and native res being different. Subsampling high made text look cropped/missing pixels, rather than smoothed out(think excessive fxaa smoothess).

If you're running PC and wanna know exactly what I'm talking about for the missing pixels, you can open your lazy set crafter add-on window and manually make it smaller. Tested here on all combinations of game/native res, and subsampling, and this missing pixel scaling issue is very well reproduced on this add-on window. This isn't related to the issue at all, but it's a good way of seeing the kind of graphic "artifact" text I'm talking about.

For now, I'm running native res, medium SS, and I'll call it a day. Just waiting for this to break again... Last week windows update broke Intel driver scaling, this week it was the game itself.

Learning a ton, at least. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Azorean
    Azorean
    ✭✭✭
    They clearly changed something on the game. A friend of mine had the same problem and the only solution has to reduce the subsampling to medium or play 1080. One makes your graphics look like *** and the other makes him lose a lot of FPS.
    The problem only started after the patch.

This also changed something for me. The text seems more sharp/clear on my PC and I'm having huge drops of FPS on dungeons which I didn't have last week. On the last boss of Crypt of Hearts 1, I was playing with 9FPS when I usually have 30FPS. Guess I have to reduce the graphics once again...
    And the settings is the same they were last night

Every minor patch when they "fix" something they screw something else.
  • klemeqq
    klemeqq
    ✭✭
    I too have/had blurry text after the v5.0.10 patch. I am native 2560x1440 and play at 1920x1080 with SubSampling Quality = High. After restarting the game and playing with the menus I found this thread and can confirm that setting SubSampling Quality = Medium fixes the text issue.

5.0.9 SubSampling = High >> text is normal, graphics are good
    5.0.10 SubSampling = High >> text is BLURRY, graphics are good
    5.0.10 SubSampling = Medium >> text is sharp, graphics are pretty good (slightly less than High)
    5.0.10 SubSampling = Low >> text is sharp, graphics are poor

I'm ok with the light graphics quality decrease with SubSampling = Medium but I hope ZOS fixes this so I can have decent, readable text *and* the slightly better graphics with SubSampling = High.

@ZonasArch, please give SubSampling = Medium at 1366x768 resolution on your 1080 display a try if you haven't already. I'm also playing below my native res and medium works for me still at the lower res.

Update1: 5.0.10 SubSampling = Medium with 2560p display playing at 1080p >> the graphics are actually worse than "graphics are pretty good (slightly less than High)"

I'm going to try playing at 2560x1440, my display's native res. My poor 7.5 year old video card is going to be pushed to the limit.
    Edited by klemeqq on July 1, 2019 3:17PM
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    klemeqq wrote: »
    I too have/had blurry text after the v5.0.10 patch. I am native 2560x1440 and play at 1920x1080 with SubSampling Quality = High. After restarting the game and playing with the menus I found this thread and can confirm that setting SubSampling Quality = Medium fixes the text issue.

5.0.9 SubSampling = High >> text is normal, graphics are good
    5.0.10 SubSampling = High >> text is BLURRY, graphics are good
    5.0.10 SubSampling = Medium >> text is sharp, graphics are pretty good (slightly less than High)
    5.0.10 SubSampling = Low >> text is sharp, graphics are poor

I'm ok with the light graphics quality decrease with SubSampling = Medium but I hope ZOS fixes this so I can have decent, readable text *and* the slightly better graphics with SubSampling = High.

@ZonasArch, please give SubSampling = Medium at 1366x768 resolution on your 1080 display a try if you haven't already. I'm also playing below my native res and medium works for me still at the lower res.

Update1: 5.0.10 SubSampling = Medium with 2560p display playing at 1080p >> the graphics are actually worse than "graphics are pretty good (slightly less than High)"

I'm going to try playing at 2560x1440, my display's native res. My poor 7.5 year old video card is going to be pushed to the limit.

I'm glad you found this, and I did test it like your asked, text seemed fine, game looked horrible. 😂 But it did fix text.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posted pics in PC tech support lots of looks and not comments.

Addons on/off makes zero difference.

Husband has also discovered the sub-sampling issue...

How are we supposed to play like this?

@ZOS_GinaBruno please see pics in my tech support thread it is truly unacceptable :(
  • mjharper
    mjharper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also have the same issue. Text is unreadable unless subsampling is set to medium.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes after todays patch taext in game is blurry
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As posted in the thread below, a fix for this issue is being tested and will be published in a future patch. Since there is already an ongoing thread we will be closing this one.

Text Illegible since todays patch HELP (pics)
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.