Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are the wayshrines teleporting abilities cannon now?

worrallj
worrallj
✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering if it would be a faux pas to mention wayshrines travel during an RP. Seems like they're part of the game world and so fair game, except then I realized no NPC ever seems to acknowledge them, no books I know of discuss their teleportation power, and you'd think they're existence would obviate the need for boats & carts to haul you to difference zones.

Best Answer

• tarotcard
    tarotcard
    Soul Shriven
    Following this thread -- I too have this question!

I recently tried to play a character without using wayshrines at all and didn't last very long out of laziness ha.
    Ignia the Disfigured - lvl 50 CP 500 Orc Dragonknight tank/dps
    Freyja Gentlebjorn - lvl 50 CP 500 Nord Warden tank
    Dar'aaska - lvl <50 Khajiit Nightblade dps
    Fionn Fernvale - lvl <50 Bosmer Warden dps
    Hekythys - lvl <50 Dunmer Necromancer dps

I'm looking to roleplay! Message me!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall there was some sort of explanation in-game that alluded to the fact that only those without a soul can use the wayshrines for transportation.
    Might have been a in-game book?

Anyways, if that is the case, it explains why there are no NPCs using them ...
    :smile:
    Edited by SirAndy on May 25, 2019 5:24PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which has been stated, The Vestige can use them because of their little "issue" with their soul, but the normal living people and heroes of Tamriel can not. They use portals done by mages and such instead for important fast travel, when horses, boats and carts won't do it in time.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on May 25, 2019 2:14PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @M_Volsung that explains some things. So probably best not to mention in RP, since I don't think most people RP as a vestige (since it would be awkward if half the people in your group happened to have that same background).
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Wayshrines are a game mechanic, not an actual means of travel around Tamriel. It's why you see people come up with all manner of portals and portal-esque methods for getting around (or for plebs like my vanilla bard, using an actual horse to get around most of the time lol).

Just be mindful, though, that there's a lot of contradiction amongst RPers about how easy and/or common portals are to make or obtain. I'm of the mindset that your average person probably couldn't afford to use them willy-nilly and that a majority of people likely do have to use mounts of some kind, or carts/carriages, to get around. However, seeing as most of us play characters who aren't your average villager, I have no issues with people having more regular access to portals to get around. I also don't think it's nearly as difficult for characters to learn how to make their own portals for transportation (you'll see people who believe only the Mages Guild knows how to use portals at will, which is silly imo).
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Ilision
    Ilision
    ✭✭✭
    Guild of Mages

According to some lore and information found on the internet, there are approximately 9 Mage schools. These Mage schools are:
    • Alteration
    • Conjuration
    • Destruction
    • Illusion
    • Mysticism
    • Restoration
    • Thaumaturgy
    • Alchemy
    • Enchanting

The one in question is of-cause Thaumaturgy. The reason why we are looking into Thaumaturgy is that this type of school is all about manipulating certain laws allowing a student to learn how to levitate, water walking and most importantly teleport.

I am sure most of us have noticed that upon teleporting to another player, our character dials a constellation. So, I believe that it is fair to say that over the years our character has also learned to use Mage's magic.

In conclusion, teleporting player to player or a way-shrine should be seen as much of an RP as riding a horse/mount.
  • Mandostandbo
    Mandostandbo
    Soul Shriven
    In ES II: Daggerfall and ES III: Morrowind the player was fully capable of learning teleportation magic. The spells (Almsivi Intervention, Divine Intervention, Mark & Recall) belonged to the school of mysticism.

I'm not really sure what this means for this discussion, but I'm sure it's important.
  • Eraldus
    Eraldus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad I bumped in this thread and I would like to say I wish wayshrines didn't existed in ESO at all.

I think they kinda take a bit of the immersion from the world and makes travelling around Tamriel way too conventional for the player... Same deal with on how you can just throw a few gold pieces into the air, to be able to fast-travel.

The game should've put carriages around all big cities and make the player pay a certain amount of gold based on how far they want to travel from the current city they're settled in, so that the player could "fast-travel" in a way that didn't broke immersion too much, while also making the player plan ahead instead of moving around all over the place without any consequences.

• Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eraldus wrote: »
    I'm glad I bumped in this thread and I would like to say I wish wayshrines didn't existed in ESO at all.

I think they kinda take a bit of the immersion from the world and makes travelling around Tamriel way too conventional for the player... Same deal with on how you can just throw a few gold pieces into the air, to be able to fast-travel.

The game should've put carriages around all big cities and make the player pay a certain amount of gold based on how far they want to travel from the current city they're settled in, so that the player could "fast-travel" in a way that didn't broke immersion too much, while also making the player plan ahead instead of moving around all over the place without any consequences.

With all due respect, I sincerely hope I shall never play any such game you would have designed.

Moving anywhere would become a chore. Trying to buy things at the guild traders in several zones would become an extremely unpleasant activity, not worth the time and gold spent on travel fees.

Just think of the wayshrines as an OOC way to allow you to have fun, instead of spending much of your time in horse riding simulator somwehere in between the cities.

If you don't like the wayshrines system, don't use it. Immersion preserved, problem solved.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Eraldus
    Eraldus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »

With all due respect, I sincerely hope I shall never play any such game you would have designed.

Moving anywhere would become a chore. Trying to buy things at the guild traders in several zones would become an extremely unpleasant activity, not worth the time and gold spent on travel fees.

Just think of the wayshrines as an OOC way to allow you to have fun, instead of spending much of your time in horse riding simulator somwehere in between the cities.

If you don't like the wayshrines system, don't use it. Immersion preserved, problem solved.

Ahhhh, the classic rHetoric of "Don't like it, don't use it", like as if that would work for me, on a game where I have to play with thousands of other players... I'm sure all the othe players would love to wait for me to arrive at a certain dungeon while riding on my horse, because I feel the wayshrines breaks immersion, so I don't use them.

As for you not playing any games "made by me", that's ok... you're a casual player, so if I were to develop a game, it wouldn't be focused in satisfying you, anyways. ;)
    Edited by Eraldus on July 2, 2019 6:15PM
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »

Ahhhh, the classic rHetoric of "Don't like it, don't use it", like as if that would work for me, on a game where I have to play with thousands of other players... I'm sure all the othe players would love to wait for me to arrive at a certain dungeon while riding on my horse, because I feel the wayshrines breaks immersion, so I don't use them.

As for you not playing any games "made by me", that's ok... you're a casual player, so if I were to develop a game, it wouldn't be focused in satisfying you, anyways. ;)

So, does that mean that you would rather force everyone else to waste their time riding a horse?
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ...I would like to say I wish wayshrines didn't existed in ESO at all.

I think they kinda take a bit of the immersion from the world and makes travelling around Tamriel way too conventional for the player...

Not lore breaking and not rp breaking. Or does your char has a soul?!
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP