The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Any successful Necromancer healers out there in BGs or small-scale Cyrodiil groups?

wheem_ESO
wheem_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I've gone on at great length about how bad Magicka Necromancer's damage is, but the healing looks solid on paper. That said, I haven't had much luck with Necromancer healing against decent players, but it may be because I haven't tried the right setup for it yet. So far, the sustain feels really awful, and with Pirate Skeleton + Transmutation + Fortified Brass, my spell power and magicka pool (and therefore healing output) were way too low. Needless to say, low healing output combined with terrible sustain didn't go so well against any team that actually had some damage. It also feels like the survivability is significantly worse than I've experienced on Magicka Warden, but I think that's largely due to the sustain being so bad - my magicka pool is usually bone dry when I kick the bucket.

What are some gear sets that are worth trying on a dedicated healer against good players?
  • MassiveFumes
    MassiveFumes
    ✭✭
    You'd think there'd be better sustain then 2k mag over 20 something seconds requiring a corpse on a useless dps skill in pvp
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience has been similar, I tried to build a damage/support hybrid (warden-esque) but wasnt able to sustain all the burst heals in addition to damage skills. After some testing I came to the conclusion that the amount of sustain needed to fulfill the healer role on a somewhat high level is going to cut into your (unreliable by nature) damage so much, that you are better off not doing any dmg at all apart from colossus drops - to sustain even more healspam.

I didnt enjoy that full healbot playstyle, so I didnt go too deep into testing, but the best performing setups were built around skelly + 1 light set that offers sustain and defense as a package (jorvuld, gossamer, trans, etc.) + 1 light set sustain single barred (lich, warlock, etc.) + vet brp resto with rapid, ward ally and live giver on bar. Keep up rapid and ward ally as much as you can, render flesh/renewing when necessary. Use Expunge and Modify as much as you can, at least after cycling render, rapids & ward to benefit from the hot/ward backed ressource return.

Insanely ressource intensive, dont expect to do any serious damage. Healing output will be between 300k-1m (really depends on the kind of match).
    Edited by Mojomonkeyman on June 22, 2019 7:07AM
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't tried, but for BGs most of my successful healers go with something like

Earthgore, or Skele
    Steadfast (if no skele) Eyes of Mara
    Curse Eater

Using Resto Ult on cool down, I'd go with Necromantic Potency and just like hit Ult every... A lot

Definitely run Grasp for support, maim is HUGE

Yeah - I'd definitely be a resto ult dropper

Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basicaly poeple cryed that rezz ulti was too OP in PvP b4 it could even be tested and it turn out that necro are the worst healer.

I guess the ulti is just fine then, if you cant keep your team alive its just normal that you can rezz them.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basicaly poeple cryed that rezz ulti was too OP in PvP b4 it could even be tested and it turn out that necro are the worst healer.

I guess the ulti is just fine then, if you cant keep your team alive its just normal that you can rezz them.

Aoe revive with 0 counter has nothing to do with healing.

Nec healers seem fine to me, they aren't a hard carry healbots like magplars are but they more than make up for it in utility, snares, root, major protection, minor vun, minor protection, ability to aoe instant revive 3 people and get 15k resources, semi breath of life skill.

Just got to build it right
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nec healers seem fine to me, they aren't a hard carry healbots like magplars are but they more than make up for it in utility, snares, root, major protection, minor vun, minor protection, ability to aoe instant revive 3 people and get 15k resources, semi breath of life skill.

The Major Protection is self-only, and has a really low uptime in difficult and competitive fights - exactly where you need it most. There aren't going to be very many player corpses to "drain" in high MMR Battlegrounds, so you're left with only those you can generate yourself. And those corpses may or may not be there when you actually need them; plus, a healer isn't likely to be using all 4 corpse-generating abilities anyway (the Mage is garbage on any build, and the Blastbones isn't reliable burst that can be used to help your team land kills).

The Minor Protection is only active in a 6m AOE, and disappears the instant said area is exited. Since the Totem has a base cost 4,050 Magicka, it's also not something that can really be spammed in order to keep up with necessary movement...especially given how horrible Necromancer sustain is. The Minor Vulnerability debuff requires a teammate to use a synergy with this same ability, and lasts for 5 seconds - it's not exactly a reliable debuff, especially since the morph in question is only summoned at the caster's feet.

Ghostly Embrace is pretty good for the snare/root/Minor Maim, but I'm not really convinced that it's better than using Wall of Frost. Sure, the Necromancer-specific ability has a 10% stronger snare since Wall got nerfed, and you don't need Chilled to trigger in order to land the root and Minor Maim portions of the skill. But, Ghostly Embrace is also a very slow ability (beyond the first circle at point-blank range) and doesn't stay active in an area - you have to recast it more frequently and at a higher cost (and again, Necromancer sustain is very bad).

The Rezz Ultimate is mostly a zerging skill, and not something that's particularly suited to "high end" competitive fights between coordinated teams. If I tried to use it to gain "15k resources" in a high MMR Battleground, I'd need all 3 of my teammates to be dead within the radius, while somehow still being alive myself (and not insta-dying as soon as I cast it, leaving my team to die again since they'd have no healer). I've literally never seen it used one single time in a Battleground at any MMR.
    Edited by wheem_ESO on June 27, 2019 3:19PM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »

The Major Protection is self-only, and has a really low uptime in difficult and competitive fights - exactly where you need it most. There aren't going to be very many player corpses to "drain" in high MMR Battlegrounds, so you're left with only those you can generate yourself. And those corpses may or may not be there when you actually need them; plus, a healer isn't likely to be using all 4 corpse-generating abilities anyway (the Mage is garbage on any build, and the Blastbones isn't reliable burst that can be used to help your team land kills).
    \

Oh i thought it provided aoe to your team.

Oh well the class is a mess and sucks. I can see the design they went for but it's just annoying and bad and completely failed.
    PS4 EU DC

• wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

\

Oh i thought it provided aoe to your team.

Oh well the class is a mess and sucks. I can see the design they went for but it's just annoying and bad and completely failed.
    I edited/updated the post to cover some other issues.

Renewing Undeath is a solid ability when there's a corpse available and your team isn't too spread out, and Resistant Flesh is obviously a strong heal, but I think much of the rest of the toolkit just isn't very good (or, as in the case of the Intensive Mender, is bugged and often non-functional). And without some sort of actual sustain skill, I don't know that Necromancer healers can really be competitive with other classes.
  • TheSpunkyLobster
    Worth checking this out for Necro Healing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PcwGTnGm7s
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Minor Protection is only active in a 6m AOE, and disappears the instant said area is exited. Since the Totem has a base cost 4,050 Magicka, it's also not something that can really be spammed in order to keep up with necessary movement...especially given how horrible Necromancer sustain is. The Minor Vulnerability debuff requires a teammate to use a synergy with this same ability, and lasts for 5 seconds - it's not exactly a reliable debuff, especially since the morph in question is only summoned at the caster's feet.

Ghostly Embrace is pretty good for the snare/root/Minor Maim, but I'm not really convinced that it's better than using Wall of Frost. Sure, the Necromancer-specific ability has a 10% stronger snare since Wall got nerfed, and you don't need Chilled to trigger in order to land the root and Minor Maim portions of the skill. But, Ghostly Embrace is also a very slow ability (beyond the first circle at point-blank range) and doesn't stay active in an area - you have to recast it more frequently and at a higher cost (and again, Necromancer sustain is very bad).

The Rezz Ultimate is mostly a zerging skill, and not something that's particularly suited to "high end" competitive fights between coordinated teams. If I tried to use it to gain "15k resources" in a high MMR Battleground, I'd need all 3 of my teammates to be dead within the radius, while somehow still being alive myself (and not insta-dying as soon as I cast it, leaving my team to die again since they'd have no healer). I've literally never seen it used one single time in a Battleground at any MMR.

Lol bruh I’ve seen it used one time ever so far and they rezzed one dude who got dunked on instantly with the rezzer. 350 ult for that eh... aight
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only really viable BG ult for necro is the Colossus

Edit: but what about Goliath? - still haven't seen it be effective.
    Edited by Waffennacht on June 27, 2019 10:48PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d think the Goliath would be more useful honestly because it seems most folks don’t have a CLUE how to use colossus effectively.

Bashers can at least get a couple kills.
    Edited by Insco851 on June 27, 2019 10:50PM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Outside of the bash-cheese, which isn't usually super common in BGs on PC-NA, Goliath can be used defensively, with mixed results. In unorganized games, especially at low'ish MMR, it can be used quite successfully. But against coordinated players that actually have good damage, I think the usefulness is much more limited. You don't actually gain extra mitigation, sustain, mobility, incoming heals, etc...from using the Goliath form, and the AOE health drain is relatively minor; it's certainly not going to save you from high damage players.

Even the Colossus probably isn't a "great" Ultimate for solo queueing high MMR BGs. All too often it'll be dodged out of, and without simultaneous ult dumping from your team to take advantage of the brief Major Vulnerability.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ravenous?. it's alright (not as good as colossus) so long as you have a build that can kill things without ult, if not it's just a stall.
    Edited by Lucky28 on June 28, 2019 1:16AM
    Invictus
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Outside of the bash-cheese, which isn't usually super common in BGs on PC-NA, Goliath can be used defensively, with mixed results. In unorganized games, especially at low'ish MMR, it can be used quite successfully. But against coordinated players that actually have good damage, I think the usefulness is much more limited. You don't actually gain extra mitigation, sustain, mobility, incoming heals, etc...from using the Goliath form, and the AOE health drain is relatively minor; it's certainly not going to save you from high damage players.

Even the Colossus probably isn't a "great" Ultimate for solo queueing high MMR BGs. All too often it'll be dodged out of, and without simultaneous ult dumping from your team to take advantage of the brief Major Vulnerability.

I either do the ult drop - which is just so nioce or...

Place colossus - scattershot enemy into AoE. - hope your opponent isn't pro and DRs
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the Corpse mechanic to be a major problem for PvP as there are usually not so many corpses around plus the positional requirements you have to be aware of make it really hard to make use of them. Plus the Rezz Ultimate is super situational and way too expensive. Would be better to scale off your Ultimate and can be used with 100/150 Ultimate to rezz one, 200/250 to rezz two and 300/350 to rezz three players so you can use it way earlier when needed. Even then I’d consider the Resto Ultimate or some others better than this.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    I find the Corpse mechanic to be a major problem for PvP as there are usually not so many corpses around plus the positional requirements you have to be aware of make it really hard to make use of them. Plus the Rezz Ultimate is super situational and way too expensive. Would be better to scale off your Ultimate and can be used with 100/150 Ultimate to rezz one, 200/250 to rezz two and 300/350 to rezz three players so you can use it way earlier when needed. Even then I’d consider the Resto Ultimate or some others better than this.

Man even if you get rezzed with this ulti- you are dead on resources. Free ap.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

Yeah unless you're in a zerg
    PS4 EU DC

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. For the cost of it you should at least come back with all of your health and maybe half of your other resources or whatever. It’s just crazy expensive and almost useless unless you’re zerging.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be cool if the DOT passive also applied to healing done to allies with HOTs. Would be a big boon to Necro heals.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »
    Would be cool if the DOT passive also applied to healing done to allies with HOTs. Would be a big boon to Necro heals.

So much this. Don’t know why it isn’t a thing already, no other class has this bonus and it would fit Necromancer very well.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. For the cost of it you should at least come back with all of your health and maybe half of your other resources or whatever. It’s just crazy expensive and almost useless unless you’re zerging.

Everytime you buff the revive ult you're basically buffing zergs.
    PS4 EU DC

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everytime you buff the revive ult you're basically buffing zergs.

Maybe zergs and not the Ultimate are the problem then? Quite bad when a skill is only useful in one very special scenario and besides that almost useless. I know, the rezz is not the only skill struck by this but still... could be countered by a morph yet both of them just double down on the initial skill.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magmancer has really clunky and slow skills. Most of them require corpses. So plenty of room form buffing necromancer to make it viable option in any content.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So far necro is a lot of fun but I am just trying out a few builds right now. I tried healer and that was really fun when I found the right combo of sets, I am actually going back to healing necro soon because damage is fun and all but I can't help but feel it'd be more powerful on just about any other class.

The corpse play takes some getting used to but honestly things die all the time in pvp so you can usually find some so that's not a problem for me. For damage I feel that the siphon ability could be better.

If I settle on a necro healing build I'll share it, lots of farming and transmutating to do though.