The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Server Performance

• LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »
    Im struggling to hold a guild together due to the performance of the servers. This the most important topic for PVP. Anyone that wants to play with class skill/weapon skills they chose to play cannot from 6pm to 1am. As soon as the zerg ball guilds log in starting from about 6pm est the game becomes broke. PvP is completely broke, it's sad because this is a great game. People will continue to abandon pvp because of performance more then any other issue.

cant play right now. Its 10pm est on a sunday. My ping is 300+ [PC][NA] There is an EP ball zerg on the bridge between alessia and sej. AD is on the sej side trying to kill them. The performance is horrible Its stupid. I'm going to go walk around my neighborhood and play harry potter unite instead. Take that @ZOS_MattFiror I'd rather play a mobile game than deal with this crap.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • kpittsniperb14_ESO
    kpittsniperb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    jdamuso wrote: »
    There's not a whole lot they can do quickly for the server performance issue. It is better hardware that is required to stop this. What is happening is that there has been a huge influx of new players just recently to ESO which puts more bodies into one place.

The lag we have been experiencing lately (the problematic lag where you cannot cast skills etc) Is whats called a cpu throttle,
    basically what that means is that the processor for which server you are on is receiving to many scripts for it to calculate at one time, and thus sort-of puts them in queue to be finished.

Now why it looks weird on your screen is because, alot of bits of the game are handled on your computer, the game server does not even render things its just funneling all the scripts and crunching all the numbers.

I am sure that ESO has top of the line hardware, and upgrading at this point may not even be possible.

The fact of the matter is, the things you see happening in ESO daily are almost impossible to create with the lack of lag that we actually have in the game ive always marveled at how they put so many skinned meshes and particle in the same view port and my computer hasn't exploded.

Im sure it will only get better, but we have to be patient and wait for the hardware to catch up with ESO.

This one the finger pointing goes to the guys at intel or amd or wherever eso is buying their stuff.

I know it doesn't help the lag, but maybe it helps to understand a little better why and how this is happening.

The influx of players has only been going on for a few months, the lag and craptastic performance has been with us for 5 years. I'm not buying what you are selling here.
    Magicka DK-Rowsdowerr
    Tertiary Meat GM
    "they're going to say, there's Daniel and he has 20 people with him, I want to kill him and there's
    40 more behind me."
    "I'm tired of the BS excuses, if you're going to do what you do at least admit what you're doing"
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!
  • fullheartcontainer
    fullheartcontainer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cancelled my sub and sent a ticket in telling them why I did it. The performance has a been getting worse for a while, and right now it's basically unplayable
  • mariuszeb17_ESO5
    mariuszeb17_ESO5
    ✭✭✭
    Chill dude ZOS said 2-3 years ago that they will work on fixing cyro game performance. So obviously performance is a number one priority from ZOS. Performance fix takes time but they will probably have it fixed soon. When cyro is lagging why dont you do smth else? Like opening crown crates and buying crown motifs.

You have right, Crown crates opening is so exciting. I love it. When ZOS something say, We do not need to remind him every 2 years.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's not a whole lot they can do quickly for the server performance issue. It is better hardware that is required to stop this.
    Yeah, nah. At a guess I would point my finger at their code base. It's a highly unoptimized pile of garbage (no offense devs), probably produced in a hurry, or by developers who weren't all too familiar with netcode.
    You see, they've already upgraded the servers, but the game continues to run worse than it did. It's not a hardware problem, or at least, for the most part it's not.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hashtag_ wrote: »
    Since elswyre it doesn’t matter when you play the game is terrible performance wise.

This is pretty much what I've seen on Xbox-NA. Over the weekend I was able to play quite a bit during off-peak and even with low populations in Cyrodiil transiting seems to be the biggest problem and any load screen can result in a disconnect. During prime-time, obviously it's much worse performance overall, but the frequency of disconnects in transit seems about the same.
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Way back when ZOS was developing ESO, they chose to build it on top of a game engine that was old and inadequate 6 years ago. It's older and less adequate now. Then, shortly after launch, they fired most of their programmers including the best and most experienced of them. Their business model ever since has had them hiring intern/entry level programmers to write new content because they can pay them a lot less than experienced game coders.

The combination of inexperienced programmers and very sparse documentation leaves the next new batch of programmers not knowing exactly how the previous groups achieved the results they desired. So now, 5 plus years after release, what we have is barely functional spaghetti code with endless bottlenecks on top of a game engine that can't handle the calculations.

Factor in the dozens of proc sets that require specific conditions to activate and multiply all of the above by a few hundred people desperately trying make their skills fire before the other guy's do and we end up with ESO as a turn based game.

The solve for the performance issues is to hire experienced programmers, who document everything they do, to rewrite and optimize the code from the ground up and build it on top of a game engine that's actually suited to large scale combat. That should have been done when the 64 bit clients were released, but ZOS is ZOS and it wasn't. And, as long as people keep buying reskinned camels and gambling boxes from the crown store, they really don't need to spend the money to rebuild their game correctly. Their business model doesn't need to include a happy customer base, just one that will spend money in their store.

The most immediate and least expensive thing they could do to help server performance would be to use Battle Spirit to disable ALL proc sets in Cyrodiil. That would cut the calculations drastically and we'd see a huge increase in performance overnight.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's not a whole lot they can do quickly for the server performance issue. It is better hardware that is required to stop this. What is happening is that there has been a huge influx of new players just recently to ESO which puts more bodies into one place.

The lag we have been experiencing lately (the problematic lag where you cannot cast skills etc) Is whats called a cpu throttle,
    basically what that means is that the processor for which server you are on is receiving to many scripts for it to calculate at one time, and thus sort-of puts them in queue to be finished.

Now why it looks weird on your screen is because, alot of bits of the game are handled on your computer, the game server does not even render things its just funneling all the scripts and crunching all the numbers.

I am sure that ESO has top of the line hardware, and upgrading at this point may not even be possible.

The fact of the matter is, the things you see happening in ESO daily are almost impossible to create with the lack of lag that we actually have in the game ive always marveled at how they put so many skinned meshes and particle in the same view port and my computer hasn't exploded.

Im sure it will only get better, but we have to be patient and wait for the hardware to catch up with ESO.

This one the finger pointing goes to the guys at intel or amd or wherever eso is buying their stuff.

I know it doesn't help the lag, but maybe it helps to understand a little better why and how this is happening.

I honestly don’t think it’s the hardware on our side. I play on a laptop which has pretty solid components but it’s by no means the best and it’s no hardcore desktop machine, and it barely breaks a sweat playing ESO. So I don’t think a better computer or new graphics cards are the answer. I think it’s quite obviously something on ZOS’ end whether it’s their servers, something to do with Akamai, or something to do with game/code optimization or a combo of all of it. All I know is that as of the past few weeks to a month I’ve given up on ESO in a way that I haven’t previously. In the past I have taken some extended breaks but this isn’t that. This time around I simply just don’t care anymore. Each time I’ve logged into PvP in the last month (maybe once a week or so) I haven’t stayed more than 20 minutes and sometimes as little as 5. The performance is just that bad. And at some point I just stoped caring about anything in the game because it’s no longer worth it to be invested in.

Idk how long you have been around, but a lot of us have already tried “being patient.” We’ve been doing so for several years. It’s only gotten worse in that time.
    Edited by Vapirko on June 24, 2019 1:36PM
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on 8700k with 2080 and google fiber internet. Nothing fixes or makes them game better. It’s definitely ZOS side of things as I can run any other game perfectly. To try and blame user hardware for bad spaghetti coding and poor optimization is absurd.
    Edited by Hashtag_ on June 24, 2019 1:51PM
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If addons are a major factor to the performance, Console Cyro must be pretty perform-ant in prime-time.

Although on that point, addons do affect an individuals performance, but not on the universal scale as being described here.

Addon Authors should write addons responsibly. Thankfully in this community, that seems to be a given across the board.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consols are also lagging they run no add-ons
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables