The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Server Performance

Durham
Durham
✭✭✭✭✭
Im struggling to hold a guild together due to the performance of the servers. This the most important topic for PVP. Anyone that wants to play with class skill/weapon skills they chose to play cannot from 6pm to 1am. As soon as the zerg ball guilds log in starting from about 6pm est the game becomes broke. PvP is completely broke, it's sad because this is a great game. People will continue to abandon pvp because of performance more then any other issue.
PVP DEADWAIT
PVP The Unguildables
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged on at 8pm EST, lagged out heavily in 2 battles within 10 minutes, and just logged out. Until game performance improves, I’m done.
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    There's not a whole lot they can do quickly for the server performance issue. It is better hardware that is required to stop this. What is happening is that there has been a huge influx of new players just recently to ESO which puts more bodies into one place.

The lag we have been experiencing lately (the problematic lag where you cannot cast skills etc) Is whats called a cpu throttle,
    basically what that means is that the processor for which server you are on is receiving to many scripts for it to calculate at one time, and thus sort-of puts them in queue to be finished.

Now why it looks weird on your screen is because, alot of bits of the game are handled on your computer, the game server does not even render things its just funneling all the scripts and crunching all the numbers.

I am sure that ESO has top of the line hardware, and upgrading at this point may not even be possible.

The fact of the matter is, the things you see happening in ESO daily are almost impossible to create with the lack of lag that we actually have in the game ive always marveled at how they put so many skinned meshes and particle in the same view port and my computer hasn't exploded.

Im sure it will only get better, but we have to be patient and wait for the hardware to catch up with ESO.

This one the finger pointing goes to the guys at intel or amd or wherever eso is buying their stuff.

I know it doesn't help the lag, but maybe it helps to understand a little better why and how this is happening.
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since elswyre it doesn’t matter when you play the game is terrible performance wise.
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭
    jdamuso wrote: »
    There's not a whole lot they can do quickly for the server performance issue. It is better hardware that is required to stop this. What is happening is that there has been a huge influx of new players just recently to ESO which puts more bodies into one place.

The lag we have been experiencing lately (the problematic lag where you cannot cast skills etc) Is whats called a cpu throttle,
    basically what that means is that the processor for which server you are on is receiving to many scripts for it to calculate at one time, and thus sort-of puts them in queue to be finished.

Now why it looks weird on your screen is because, alot of bits of the game are handled on your computer, the game server does not even render things its just funneling all the scripts and crunching all the numbers.

I am sure that ESO has top of the line hardware, and upgrading at this point may not even be possible.

The fact of the matter is, the things you see happening in ESO daily are almost impossible to create with the lack of lag that we actually have in the game ive always marveled at how they put so many skinned meshes and particle in the same view port and my computer hasn't exploded.

Im sure it will only get better, but we have to be patient and wait for the hardware to catch up with ESO.

This one the finger pointing goes to the guys at intel or amd or wherever eso is buying their stuff.

I know it doesn't help the lag, but maybe it helps to understand a little better why and how this is happening.

People have been talking about performance getting worse for a long time now. Them not being able to quickly fix server performance isn't really the issue when there has been more than enough warning that PvP performance is becoming unplayable.
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/Bahlokdaan
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    | Magicka Nightblade | AR43 |
    AD | Zevrro II | Magicka Nightblade | AR50 | 09-02-2019 |
    DC | Not Zevrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR33 |
    EP | Ževrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR14 |
    Other PvP Characters
    AD | Zevrro VII | Stamina Warden | AR33 |
    AD | Zevrro XII | Magicka Warden | AR22 |
    DC | Not Zevrro II | Magicka Warden | AR14 |
    DC | Necrotic Zevrro | Magicka Necromancer | AR17 |
    EP | Real-Skyice | Stamina Warden | AR10 |

>156m AP
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I logged in 2am EST PcNA Was so laggy, dcs and trouble logging back in. I just logged out and watched tv. Performance just sucks atm.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm betting that when they changed the dots to tick every 2s they somehow coded the servers to take 2 seconds recording DMG instead lol
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭

This is happening for poor architecture, money greed and incompetent managment. Is nothing about hardware or connections. Is nothing about cpu throtling, but a poor concurrence design. And with all the money they earn, there are no excuses.
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    Hey you dont like the facts. Its a cpu throttle. That is plain and simple what it is, and can only be slightly helped by optimizing. it requires more powerful hardware to solve. If you think money is the issue, you can by all means show us what hardware they can buy to rectify this, but as quantum computing is only still in development, and no where near usable for a game server, we must continue to use binary processors which heat up the more they are used and slow down the more they are heated up.

I mean i see what your saying up there above this response, do you have any valid evidence to support your claims? or are you just guessing?

Cuz im just sharing a lesson in game development for you, cuz yea i do a little of that, and i know exactly what im seeing..

You simply cannot CODE out a cpu throttle, and that is exactly what it is...

Did you happen to think that maybe all the add-on your running on your client may be calling info from the server and slowing down the chances of the script powering your dragon leap from getting through???

Hmmmmm interesting. perhaps the lag could be coming from players overusing addons?!??!? NOOOOOO WAAAAAY!!

yes way, thats exactly what they do.

But ESO didnt put those in for a reason right??

they prolly didnt want the server to throttle.

Like i said, im just trying to help you understand why. If you cant, then thats on you to do your homework.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lag is very bad

Dont feel like logging in
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey you dont like the facts. Its a cpu throttle. That is plain and simple what it is, and can only be slightly helped by optimizing. it requires more powerful hardware to solve. If you think money is the issue, you can by all means show us what hardware they can buy to rectify this, but as quantum computing is only still in development, and no where near usable for a game server, we must continue to use binary processors which heat up the more they are used and slow down the more they are heated up.

I mean i see what your saying up there above this response, do you have any valid evidence to support your claims? or are you just guessing?

Cuz im just sharing a lesson in game development for you, cuz yea i do a little of that, and i know exactly what im seeing..

Did you happen to think that maybe all the add-on your running on your client may be calling info from the server and slowing down the chances of the script powering your dragon leap from getting through???

Hmmmmm interesting. perhaps the lag could be coming from players overusing addons?!??!? NOOOOOO WAAAAAY!!

Like i said, im just trying to help you understand why. If you cant, then thats on you to do your homework.

Are you really trying to blame the deterioration of PvP performance on addons?
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    Other PvP Characters

>156m AP
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    Zevrro wrote: »

You think they dont call information from the server? and that the server is not throttled? Are you seriously asking me this question?

No they are not the cause, but it doesnt help does it? if your server is throttled and your calling extra information.. what do you think that does?

Use your maths
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭

You think they dont call information from the server? and that the server is not throttled? Are you seriously asking me this question?

No they are not the cause, but it doesnt help does it? if your server is throttled and your calling extra information.. what do you think that does?

Use your maths

Please show me your amazing maths.
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    Other PvP Characters

>156m AP
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    Okay.. client ask for 1 thing goes into server. server sends answer to client.

now multiple by 300 players 200 npc's and 50% of those players asking for 50 more things that the half that is not = duh

Like the math?

wasn't even too hard huh?
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭

now multiple by 300 players 200 npc's and 50% of those players asking for 50 more things that the half that is not = duh

Like the math?

60 TIMES A SECOND!
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭

Like the math?

You just described MMOs
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    Other PvP Characters

>156m AP
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭

Like the math?

You just described MMOs

mmhmm. Thats what we are playing when you are pvping.
  • Zelos
    Zelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont play the game until this shitt performance gets fixed.
    Aeonhack - AD Stamina Nightblade - 5 Star General

CP1200

Creator and user of "Questionable" addons and game mechanics.
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭

Like the math?

You just described MMOs

Describing the complexities that go into running an MMO doesn't excuse the terrible performance of this MMO in particular.
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    Other PvP Characters

>156m AP
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭

You dont work with clústers or servers, isnt It? And i suppose you dont know much about anticheating on online games isnt It? Well, is i told before, a concurrency problem can be slighty solved with better hardware yes, but only slighty until the architecture is well designed (or in this case, completely redesigned). Btw, and please, im saying It on a friendly way since i dont like conflicts at all, i doubt you can teach me something on game development architectures, maybe in use Unity or any other crappy engine, but telling that this is a cpu throtling problem says much about your knowledge on cs architectures.
    Without a properly designed architecture (with good concurrency, queuing, prioritys and event organizing design), even a farm of 8180m (or the quantum processors you claim xd) is going to work as 9960, or worse. But hey! We can all wait for that quantum processors,... dont know if my age will let me see them
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    coletas wrote: »

You dont work with clústers or servers, isnt It? And i suppose you dont know much about anticheating on online games isnt It? Well, is i told before, a concurrency problem can be slighty solved with better hardware yes, but only slighty until the architecture is well designed (or in this case, completely redesigned). Btw, and please, im saying It on a friendly way since i dont like conflicts at all, i doubt you can teach me something on game development architectures, maybe in use Unity or any other crappy engine, but telling that this is a cpu throtling problem says much about your knowledge on cs architectures.
    Without a properly designed architecture (with good concurrency, queuing, prioritys and event organizing design), even a farm of 8180m (or the quantum processors you claim xd) is going to work as 9960, or worse. But hey! We can all wait for that quantum processors,... dont know if my age will let me see them

So your claiming when you cant get your skills to fire its not because of a server throttle? Because i develop in a crappy game engine. Im fairly sure once you have logged into your cyro you have gone past the issue of server clusters, as you do not really need to network from one server to another other than guild chats.

Other issues could be hardware damage simply from the overuse of the processors in the first place.

So i see that i can hardly teach you anything, and i am wrong. If so then how is it i am wrong.

Im also curious to why a server cluster networking issue should put my dragon leap in queue while im in cyro. I can see if i was trying to cast a dragon leap while i was being changed from one instance to another, then id say, hey that sure sounds like whats going on..

And yet the lag we have been suffering comes with the symptoms of what is commonly known as "skill lag" same thing you see in guild wars 2 when 300 people are in stone mist castle spamming skills. Its not an fps drop, im running at 60 fps when my skills do not fire, and its not a ping issue, im running at a solid 110ping (normal) when my dragon leap gets queued.

And sometimes it doesn't fire at all, since what i am seeing on my screen is a player im trying to dump my ult on that has, as far as the server is concerned has moved away, yet my computer hasnt received that info and updated yet.

So fine, im wrong. the server isnt throttled. And we do not need MUCH better hardware (being intel give you tiny little bit better when they put out a new processor, not really leaps and bounds)

Its simply a failure of what then? Please enlighten me.

Also quantum processors was an exaggeration, as the cost to running such a thing is at the moment too expensive to be supported by an mmo company, and they just dont work reliably yet since in the quantum world, things tend to do things like particles jumping through walls and doing whatever they want.

But i dont see how a server cluster is affecting skill lag in a single location in cyro, and even if it as a networking throttle.

well thats the same exact issue as a processor throttle isnt it? Just throttled at a different part of the hardware.

I am wondering if what you are saying, is that when you put 500+ skinned meshes in one place. And i doubt they are gpu rendered in eso, however even if they were, its not a rendering issue as we are running at 60 fps while being rendered on client side not server side. SO whats left? networking. yeah could be a network throttle why not. and a butt-load of scripts running. 500 animations calculating bone rotation, 1000s of particle systems being toggled on and off. 250+ extra add ons calling for server info. And all this going through one wire, and probably ending up being filtered through no more than 8 processors. for the cyro instance. and then shooting all the answers right back out through the same wire thats still feeding in more info. That we are probably not throttling the server when we do this?

How come when this happens everywhere else in the world, its a server throttle?

Why does it work normally as intended when there is lower populations in the instance, and when theres 300 players in one place that it happens?

Why is water wet?

Why is the sky blue?

Why do electrons act like a wave and a particle at the same time?

How could E=mc2 have been wrong?

Rebuttals come better with answers.

• jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭

Like the math?

You just described MMOs

Describing the complexities that go into running an MMO doesn't excuse the terrible performance of this MMO in particular.

what does it describe then?
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭

So your claiming when you cant get your skills to fire its not because of a server throttle? Because i develop in a crappy game engine. Im fairly sure once you have logged into your cyro you have gone past the issue of server clusters, as you do not really need to network from one server to another other than guild chats.

Other issues could be hardware damage simply from the overuse of the processors in the first place.

So i see that i can hardly teach you anything, and i am wrong. If so then how is it i am wrong.

Im also curious to why a server cluster networking issue should put my dragon leap in queue while im in cyro. I can see if i was trying to cast a dragon leap while i was being changed from one instance to another, then id say, hey that sure sounds like whats going on..

And yet the lag we have been suffering comes with the symptoms of what is commonly known as "skill lag" same thing you see in guild wars 2 when 300 people are in stone mist castle spamming skills. Its not an fps drop, im running at 60 fps when my skills do not fire, and its not a ping issue, im running at a solid 110ping (normal) when my dragon leap gets queued.

And sometimes it doesn't fire at all, since what i am seeing on my screen is a player im trying to dump my ult on that has, as far as the server is concerned has moved away, yet my computer hasnt received that info and updated yet.

So fine, im wrong. the server isnt throttled. And we do not need MUCH better hardware (being intel give you tiny little bit better when they put out a new processor, not really leaps and bounds)

Also quantum processors was an exaggeration, as the cost to running such a thing is at the moment too expensive to be supported by an mmo company, and they just dont work reliably yet since in the quantum world, things tend to do things like particles jumping through walls and doing whatever they want.

But i dont see how a server cluster is affecting skill lag in a single location in cyro, and even if it as a networking throttle.

well thats the same exact issue as a processor throttle isnt it? Just throttled at a different part of the hardware.

I am wondering if what you are saying, is that when you put 500+ skinned meshes in one place. And i doubt they are gpu rendered in eso, however even if they were, its not a rendering issue as we are running at 60 fps while being rendered on client side not server side. SO whats left? networking. yeah could be a network throttle why not. and a butt-load of scripts running. 500 animations calculating bone rotation, 1000s of particle systems being toggled on and off. 250+ extra add ons calling for server info. And all this going through one wire, and probably ending up being filtered through no more than 8 processors. for the cyro instance. and then shooting all the answers right back out through the same wire thats still feeding in more info. That we are probably not throttling the server when we do this?

Why does it work normally as intended when there is lower populations in the instance, and when theres 300 players in one place that it happens?

Why is water wet?

Why is the sky blue?

As i told you before, concurrency and architecture. Two things that u know NOTHING about so I won't try to explain you that better hardware can only be a patch, but never a solution (except if the other 2 are perfect, which are not). Zenimax has money, so i suppose they have tried first the easier, cheapest and fastest patch, that is... Oh yeah upgrading hardware. Since the game is not scalable with hardware is obvious that is an architecture and concurrency problem. But since you think this a conflict with me or something like that, hey, you have reason in all... Cpu throtling zenimax!! Just upgrade your servers and problem solved. They must be amazed in the office, finally a good analyst told them how to solve their main problem.
  • Alomar
    Alomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Performance has gotten worse in one form or another for 4.5 years now, it just manifests in different ways. Some people say the days of no skills firing, stacking flags, meteor spam, and fall dmg bugs was the worst it ever was. Others felt the many times the server would crash was the worst it was. Now, we have persistent lag with a smaller cyrodiil campaign cap, less guilds/ball grps, and new forms of lag.

For example, seen a new manifestation where everyone becomes super slow for a minute or two all across Cyroddil 3 times now and I'd never seen it before in ESO's 5+ years. All this leads to the simple conclusion, lag has not been fixed, will not be fixed, and if you expect anything to change then you are beyond reason.
    Haxus Council Member
    Former Havoc Commander
    Former DiE officer
    Alomar: 5 Stars - Beast: 3 stars - Kurudin: 5th NA emperor
    Awaiting New World, Camelot Unchained, and Crowfall
  • synnerman
    synnerman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absoloutely awful on PCEU cyrodill this week. Last night logged in queued to get in ran to a keep got kicked to sign in tried logging in took 3 goes and then got kicked again. I gave up in the end and logged out.
    Came on today and a similar story lag spikes up to 999 etc then eventual crash. I asked in zone and it was happening to loads. I persisted for a bit but in the end lost interest because as soon as a keep defence or attack starts and numbers build up the server just cant cope so I logged out again.
    If this keeps up and there is no acknowledgement of something then Im afraid afters years since Beta of leaving and coming back then I will be off. Its not just the lag its the return of the stuck in combat bug, the weapon swap bug, the lag when using pirate skeleton set bug..the necromancer bugs and the stupidly overpowered necro bash not to mention the Faction lock mess of even when we wait until the end of the campaign it still wont work . Its been a month since launch and nothing gets fixed. Its abysmal service.
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭

Why is water wet?

Why is the sky blue?

As i told you before, concurrency and architecture. Two things that u know NOTHING about so I won't try to explain you that better hardware can only be a patch, but never a solution (except if the other 2 are perfect, which are not). Zenimax has money, so i suppose they have tried first the easier, cheapest and fastest patch, that is... Oh yeah upgrading hardware. Since the game is not scalable with hardware is obvious that is an architecture and concurrency problem. But since you think this a conflict with me or something like that, hey, you have reason in all... Cpu throtling zenimax!! Just upgrade your servers and problem solved. They must be amazed in the office, finally a good analyst told them how to solve their main problem.

• jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    Bunch of relays, engines and data storage together in a network and channeled through an admin host server.

That are cpu throttled.

NOT that the network may not need improvement.

Not that the code cant be optimized

Not that add ons are not additional stress.

But skill lag is a cpu throttle, which is a hardware limitation.

The real problem here is people in the internet community are to busy calling everybody and everything ***, instead of being useful.

EVEN if i am entirely wrong, and i'm just a gamer, SO WHO GIVES A ***.

The post i made, was to help the guy understand that its not as easy as one might expect to improve performance.

whether it is the network, or the hardware, or a cpu throttle, or they didn't feed the hamsters that are powering the game,
    it doesn't matter, because we have achieved the status by now of realizing -

that its not as easy as one might expect to improve performance.

And if you know it all, why aren't you working for eso fixing it? Sound to me like you think its a simple task.

you chose the conflict with me, you could have added something useful instead of trying to say I dont know ***, and eso dont know ***, and everyone don't know ***.

Clearly eso hosts one of the largest MMOs in the world, they know ***.

Clearly I know quite alot of ***.

All ive heard from you is an additional problem, and not once have you stated any reason to explain why you think it is an architecture problem, and not a cpu throttle. other than wanting to tell people they don't know ***.

Frankly i think there's enough info on this thread to give anyone questioning the lag enough info that "its not that easy"

And since arguing with you is as useful as a poopy flavored loli pop, im done here. enjoy the show.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oFL5NoM9GVE

• Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    “999.6+ pings. Not great. Not terrible.” - ZOS
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bunch of relays, engines and data storage together in a network and channeled through an admin host server.

That are cpu throttled.

NOT that the network may not need improvement.

Not that the code cant be optimized

Not that add ons are not additional stress.

But skill lag is a cpu throttle, which is a hardware limitation.

The real problem here is people in the internet community are to busy calling everybody and everything ***, instead of being useful.

EVEN if i am entirely wrong, and i'm just a gamer, SO WHO GIVES A ***.

The post i made, was to help the guy understand that its not as easy as one might expect to improve performance.

whether it is the network, or the hardware, or a cpu throttle, or they didn't feed the hamsters that are powering the game,
    it doesn't matter, because we have achieved the status by now of realizing -

that its not as easy as one might expect to improve performance.

And if you know it all, why aren't you working for eso fixing it? Sound to me like you think its a simple task.

you chose the conflict with me, you could have added something useful instead of trying to say I dont know ***, and eso dont know ***, and everyone don't know ***.

Clearly eso hosts one of the largest MMOs in the world, they know ***.

Clearly I know quite alot of ***.

All ive heard from you is an additional problem, and not once have you stated any reason to explain why you think it is an architecture problem, and not a cpu throttle. other than wanting to tell people they don't know ***.

Frankly i think there's enough info on this thread to give anyone questioning the lag enough info that "its not that easy"

And since arguing with you is as useful as a poopy flavored loli pop, im done here. enjoy the show.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oFL5NoM9GVE

Bla bla bla. Concurrency and deadlock problems. If you ever have had programmed anything (even a simple multiuser database not using engines) you would know what a deadlock is and "how It sound". Now go learning something (just a bit, dont worry, the problem itself is easy to find and usually difficult to fix from the base) and you will know whyyy theee probleeemmm is nooottt Moore cpusss, mooore powwweer, and mooore else except what is It...a concurrency problem. Lol. Please, dont reply me again with no-senses until u read a little, just a little about that, ok?. And no, i would never work for a company like zenimax, I have a blank check in my current job and looking how this company work, i doubt i could work with them at all just for principles. And please, no, im not in conflict with you in anyway. I just Hope you learn about the problem and we can be friends, ok? Sincerely
    Pd: about being useful, the best you can do is touching the company wallet. I won't give a euro again to them while they dont face the issues
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again tonight like everynight .... now ZOS you are running RED LATENCY for up to 5 hours now. Again your game is no playable. There is alote of people that cannot play except during primetime.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • kollege14a5
    kollege14a5
    ✭✭✭
    Chill dude ZOS said 2-3 years ago that they will work on fixing cyro game performance. So obviously performance is a number one priority from ZOS. Performance fix takes time but they will probably have it fixed soon. When cyro is lagging why dont you do smth else? Like opening crown crates and buying crown motifs.