Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I saved Elsweyr from the Euraxians and the Dragon

CaptainVenom
CaptainVenom
✭✭✭✭✭
Then I got captured by the Worm Cult and killed by Mannimarco. During my time in Coldharbour, I met Cadwell again, but for some reason I couldn't remember who is he. However he was with me during my Elsweyr journey. Same goes for Abnur Tharn. Lorebreaking much? I thought I would be greeting the old friend... not asking who's the honored warrior.

I'm a little disappointed. :/
🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be a little disturbing if you dont know the game.
    When you do the old main quest with a necromancer Abnur teaches you to build a flesh atronach. When done he laughs and says with some irony: One day you probably become a real necromancer.

I wanted to reply: Dude, i AM a necromancer. But there was no option :)

When you destroyed the anchor machine and go to the old zones, then the anchors still work.

When you teleport from Wrothgar to Greenshade then it is a timetravel into the past.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, sadly the "play in any order" concept with the Chapters, along with the "always start with the latest Chapter" rule, did not come with lore and dialog updates for older content. Sometimes it works out, other times, not so much.

If the player does not know that they need to break from what ZOS recommends and do content in the order it was created, then they will do the lore/story part of the game out of sequence and have to ignore or reconsile these things. If they care.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, sadly the "play in any order" concept with the Chapters, along with the "always start with the latest Chapter" rule, did not come with lore and dialog updates for older content. Sometimes it works out, other times, not so much.

If the player does not know that they need to break from what ZOS recommends and do content in the order it was created, then they will do the lore/story part of the game out of sequence and have to ignore or reconsile these things. If they care.

Yeah :/ if I knew it would break lore, I'd have fled Elsweyr and done the Main Story first.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game asks if you want to play the intro. Why not asking if you want to play timeline or progression ? It would be cheap to implement.
  • Kingdaboss123
    Kingdaboss123
    ✭✭✭
    This is why the game needs to start from the prison in coldharbour.
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah that would be quite disappointing I'd imagine :( I was lucky because I played through the game since the cold harbour start, and when I played Elsweyr on my main, Cadwell recognised me in that sense, which was really cool. So it works that way round, just not if you start with Elsweyr. I'm not even sure if it's something that can be easily fixed. Short of forcing people to play a certain order or re writing a lot of dialogue...
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, at least for new players. BUT... People who buy Morrowind/Summerset/Elsweyr probably don't want to be told "sorry, your shiny new purchase will have to wait while you do hours of content we created 5 years ago when you didn't care about ESO". Understandable perspective, but results in lore/story disconnects. Again, if they care.

For existing players, the game should ask where to start, like it asks if you want to skip the tutorial.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Pronto
    Pronto

Yes, at least for new players. BUT... People who buy Morrowind/Summerset/Elsweyr probably don't want to be told "sorry, your shiny new purchase will have to wait while you do hours of content we created 5 years ago when you didn't care about ESO". Understandable perspective, but results in lore/story disconnects. Again, if they care.

For existing players, the game should ask where to start, like it asks if you want to skip the tutorial.

I completely agree. I think it is better they give the player the option to choose what content they want to do first. If you are joining the game at the release of a new Chapter, it's probable that there is content 5 years back that might still be relevant to this new chapter. If it bothers people so much then they should go back and do all of the content in order if the dialogues really matter to them. For ZOS to go back and change these dialogues for all of the quests based on whether or not a player completed Morrowind before the Main Story, Elsweyr and Summerset before Morrowind, etc... it's a lot of time and money, and that's only to appeal to the people who actually read the quest dialogues.
    Pronto Padfoot - Bosmer Stamina Nightblade (AD)
    Pronto Greenfoot - Bosmer Stamina Warden (AD)
    Pronto Firefoot - Bosmer Stamina Dragonknight (AD)
    -Pronto - Bosmer Stamina Nightblade (AD)
  • Thrawniel
    Thrawniel
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if they change character introductions like they did with Naryu. Seems not(((

What about Jakarn and Raz? Is it the same deal - they pretend not to know you too if you did their Elsweyr quests first?

I just made my necroafter playing Elsweyr on main, and I rely hoped they would add a line of two for old content to acknowledge new players.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats "technically" your fault for playing content out of chronological order.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linear time in an Amaranth? Akatosh was broke a long time ago. Kek! Akatosh was already broke leading up to the moment he was broke. He was broke before he was broke because he was broke. Smdh. All-time exists simultaneously. That’s why the protagonist is always in prison. He/she is a prisoner of his perspective. Wake up silly creature before you get zero summed.
    Edited by khajiitNPC on June 8, 2019 8:47AM
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asking players new to the game where they want to start would be like asking a 3-year old American child who has never traveled whether they want to vacation in Australia or New Zealand next year. A lot of explanation about the available options and the reason you're asking the question would be necessary. I played Elder Scrolls games before starting ESO but when I got here I had no idea about the gameplay, storyline, time frame within the lore canon, or anything else. I made my character and was thrust into the tutorial with no idea what to do. If you had asked me if I wanted to play the current expansion or the original story I probably would have chosen the expansion like a kid with a shiny new bike being asked if she wants to ride her old tricycle. Common sense might tell you one option is better but you always go for the most exciting. A wall of text about "the story actually starts here but if you start there you might get confused when some things are out of chronological order...." Yeah that would be read by very few I think. People just want to jump in and play their new game and they'll button mash past any options and questions and disclaimers as fast as they can to get to their new game. It's just how people are.
  • mann9753b16_ESO
    mann9753b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think its a bit strange that you always start with the latest intro…

They should really keep it at Coldharbour, then have the other Intros be the first part of the Expansion story, minus the battle tutotial.
  • Valamist
    Valamist
    ✭✭✭
    Its a shame they have not bought in an NPC who pops up when you start 'older' content and says "Hello! So, little thing, you are travel back in time. They will not know you. It's wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff!"
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the main quest first, that is like rule nr1. If you jump into the latest expansion...let's just say things won't make much sense.

ZoS might want to add some kind of dialogue options for new players who go to Elsweyr first thing. So it's not "Cadwell! Hello old friend!" But perhaps something like "huh? Who are you?"
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade