Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Monotonous Role-playing!

NekoTashi
NekoTashi
✭✭✭
Thank you for your feedback. This topic can be closed now.
Edited by NekoTashi on March 5, 2020 1:29AM
PS4/EU Gamer | I don't have haters, just fans in denial.
  • 2Weenies
    2Weenies
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who's RPed in a lot of different settings in a lot of different ways, I find that romance and erotica sells like sweet rolls to hungry Nords. RP can also sometimes lead down to that road in the future. Plenty of folks like the idea of their character settling down, or just being a naughty dog. Some do it for... well, let's just say other reasons to be polite. This stuff is pretty common in my opinion, but not as much of an epidemic as some may say it is.

If it's in good taste, consented by both parties, and is pretty in character, then sure, your character can romance my character. If not, please don't take it seriously, and please don't expect an actual relationship out of it. It's RP, nothing more. There is no budding flirtatious romance behind the screen.

I've an Orc character who's young, boorish, cocky, and for lack of better terminology, basically a stereotypical jock in American media. Very pig-headed and will definitely attempt to flirt with other characters. I will always warn others OOC that it is not at all to be taken seriously, please feel free to reject and deny, and for the love of Azura, please don't think I'm actually creeping.

I think that last part is an important part if you're going to actually be pursuing or doing RP stuff like that. Otherwise, you'll end up looking like those blokes your mother used to warn you about in your youth! Please, always get the consent of others when it comes to RP!
    "We're watching you, scum." ~ Every Ordinator who witnesses my social media commentary
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to find people who want to RP instead of ERP. What OP is describing sounds more like really lonely people.

Granted, it may be difficult to find people actually into developing good RP as most of the real RP community that was interested in ESO did not come or did not stay long after Zos consciously dropped support for the RP community that they originally said they would be supporting strongly.

Oh, and yes, people that get into actual RP outside of ERP do sometimes get into ERP but they are not the type to start off with ERP as OP is describing. And no, I cannot help OP as those I know that were really into RP bailed on ESO when the Zos bailed on them as described above.
  • Ihsan997
    Ihsan997
    idk wrote: »
    You need to find people who want to RP instead of ERP. What OP is describing sounds more like really lonely people.

Granted, it may be difficult to find people actually into developing good RP as most of the real RP community that was interested in ESO did not come or did not stay long after Zos consciously dropped support for the RP community that they originally said they would be supporting strongly.

Oh, and yes, people that get into actual RP outside of ERP do sometimes get into ERP but they are not the type to start off with ERP as OP is describing. And no, I cannot help OP as those I know that were really into RP bailed on ESO when the Zos bailed on them as described above.

That’s interesting...I’m a new player, so I wasn’t aware that Zod once supported RP’ers and then stopped. When did that happen and how, if you don’t mind my asking?
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Though I agree a lot of ppl seem fixed on erp, i would like to correct that a TRUE romance rp is us not erp based. My khajiit female has had a lover for a while and that stuff rarely happens. It's usually adventuring or working at our inn. If a romantic moment does happen we put it up to vote, type it or FTB (fade to black). As fir the rp community, it is still rather large.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's even worse when you help someone out by crafting them some gear and next thing they are calling you their e-wife.
    Even crafters aren't safe from erpers errr I mean derp-ers....nah they are really just desperate.
    Edited by wishlist14 on June 18, 2019 10:54AM
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried to RP a couple times and never really ran into this problem tbh. I find it boring more because unless an incredible amount of planning goes into it is typically reduced to a bunch of nerds standing idle in a tavern awkwardly making small talk in slow motion.
    Ihsan997 wrote: »

That’s interesting...I’m a new player, so I wasn’t aware that Zod once supported RP’ers and then stopped. When did that happen and how, if you don’t mind my asking?

I'm curious about that too, I'm not a new player but didn't used to follow this kind of stuff.
    Edited by worrallj on June 18, 2019 12:52PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd, the last thing that would enter my mind playing a game was trying to get laid.

I have had players flirt with my female avatars, and like real life, they ignore the Male ones. I never encouraged the flirting so I don't know how far it would have gone.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as humans and cats, this is a fantasy world not RL. Enough said there.

As to the other it really depends. If the other persons goal is just to turn it into a bunch erp instead of meaningful RP then yeah, I would bail on that as well. But in general love and romance can add a lot to character development and a role playing experience. It has a broad appeal to a lot of people for various reasons that have nothing to do with being creepy (Plenty of RPers like romance but never erp and instead just ftb for those scenes). That doesn't mean your character has to be receptive to such advances. If ICly, they would not be interested then just RP it that way . If the other person suddenly has zero interest in RPing with you afterwards, then you probably didn't want to rp with them in the first place.

Also keep in mind also that just because your character rejected their advances doesn't mean their character will stop trying if ICly that is how their character is written. If something is really bothering you don't be afraid to discuss it with them OOCly. You can't really judge them based on IC stuff after all as they are not their character and visa versa.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not something I have come across but that might be as I've only used my make characters to RP and also generally just act like a insufferable Dunmer mage.

Some of the other games I played and was much more active in the RP scene there did tend to be basically two camps which people would eventually fall into, those looking for relationship RP or those constantly looking for conflict RP.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are... a lot of roleplayers like that out there. Many in my experience come from other games looking almost entirely just for that. As a guildmaster of a roleplaying guild I have to deal with those types of roleplayers more than many, but I do try and keep that kind of stuff out of my guild so that people who don't want that can still roleplay.

It seems a lost art at times, roleplaying such that you're not just ruining the roleplaying for everyone else, but I can guarantee you there are a lot of people out there who specifically don't want to roleplay in a way that ruins it.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my characters flirst but thats just her nature i dont plan to ERP her at all she just has that type of personality.
  • Akihiro
    Akihiro
    I'm not an rper, but I like to go to the riften inn to watch people rp. A few days ago, someone tried to engage in rp with me. I thought I would try to humor them, even though I do not like to rp myself, and normally would not participate. They kept complimenting my character's appearance. The first compliment, I was like "oh, that's nice", but then it happened again... and again... and again. I think you guys get where I'm going with this. :joy:

It seemed a little strange for them to continually compliment my appearance, but I thought they were just being nice. Apparently I was so incredibly dense, because the person had to come out and say they were trying to flirt with me. :scream::scream::scream: After that, I made a smooth exit and immediately logged out. :joy: That was sooooo bad lol

I don't really care what people do, but if you're going to rp flirt, please make sure the other person is cool with it first! This was a really awkward experience for me. :sweat_smile:
    Nestor wrote: »
    Odd, the last thing that would enter my mind playing a game was trying to get laid.

I have had players flirt with my female avatars, and like real life, they ignore the Male ones. I never encouraged the flirting so I don't know how far it would have gone.
    My character is male, and the person who was trying to flirt had a male character. No one is safe! ahahaha :joy:
    Edited by Akihiro on July 15, 2019 7:06PM
  • Mason_King
    Mason_King
    ✭✭✭
    Ultimately it depends on what you want to do.

I play with my friends, those I see and hang out outside of the game with on a daily basis. We joke and fool around, for example, My friend and I we delve together and do dungeons and my other friend joked that we're essentially married, by the and it's pretty accurate. So it was a running joke, and then we married our characters.

We used the Jewelry Crafting and made us two silver rings with protective traits and we took them to a Chapel in Alik'r, and our other friend enchanted the rings, as a "blessing." Even tho it started out as a Joke it was fun to do and to put that time in, and I think it gives armor and weapons more meaning and worth if you put a story behind it.

Personally I think it's weird to RP with someone you've never talked to outside of the game to do that kind of stuff with, but if both of you feel like it should go in that direction, then drive it. if you don't want it to then try to turn the role play in another direction.
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That type of thing happened to me a lot and I don't even rp lol

One dude friended me and 3 days later started calling me his E-wife. I never knew there was such a thing as an E-wife. I just laughed at him and then he got worse so I deleted him from my friends list by blocking him.

Another dude I helped out with some low level green gear became my slave and would show up at my house and hammer my walls...my walls were fine. Blocked.

Now I have no friends ...safer. I seem to attract all the weirdos.
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone is a pervert. RP is alive and well in the PS4 NA Community, but can't really speak for the others.

My advise would be: Make sure to point out OOC that you are not looking for erotic role play or even romance. A genuine roleplayer will respect that, a pervert will insist.

Safe travels friend. Stay to the main roads eh ;)

Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    2Weenies wrote: »
    b]Please, always get the consent of others when it comes to RP![/b]

Words to live by.
    Signed, The Mudball Goblin.
    <splat!>
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.