Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Resistance limit - true or false?

POMEH
POMEH
✭✭✭
Once upon a time I asked myself is resistance limit in game? I had some doubts that resistance works till 100%. So I did all tests to know it. The main question to which I answer in this video is: is there a capital resist in the game, that is, the maximum resistance value, after increasing which the amount of damage taken does not decrease. In this video, I conduct tests and also talk about how to increase resistance.

The results of my experiment:
physical resistance 30 304 - incoming damage: 751
physical resistance: 34 541 - incoming damage: 692
physical resistance: 33 175 - incoming damage: 692
physical resistance: 37 412 - incoming damage: 692

I think the same results will be with magic resistance. As you can see its true: there is a limit of resistance in game. It is 33% or 33 333

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaobOzskMaA&list=PLqnZG9SrAmIH9WX01EM0P5wVJ9D3Dp7Ec&index=105&t=0s

Important: This is PVE tests and experience. I didnt test limit resistance in PVP.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I did not watch the video the resist cap is around 33k for both physical and magicka resistance though top tank builds to not concern themselves with reaching the cap since they get close enough without trying.

If you have questions about resistance and the larger aspect of damage mitigation I suggest looking through the thread I linked. Paul does a good job keeping it updated.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-for-morrowind-new-calculator/p1
  • Nolic1
    Nolic1
    ✭✭✭
    The resistance cap is 33k exactly because its for every 660 resistances you get 1 point of mitigation to your incoming damage and if you divide 33,000 by 660 its comes to 50% mitigation. Cause we can only reduce the incoming damage by 50% from resistances. As for damage reduction the math in the game works like this when hit if blocking you block 10% or 20% of the incoming damage unless a DK who has a passive to block another 10% then resistances so if your at 33k that is 50% more mitigation and then damage reduction which depending on CP is going to be about 35% from direct damage and 35% from damage over time and 10% to 12% from hardy and elemental defender. But the game has a math formula thats does this in super speeds that we do not see the math we see the resulting numbers from it all.

Well most MMO's use the same combat formula cause it works well in systems such as this were combat is based on semi turn based combat in this case action combat.

Also the link above explains it well also even tho its more of the math side of things and it can be complicated for many to understand but mine is the short version of that.
    Sherman from Sherman's Gaming

Youtube content creator that is dedicated to the Casual and Roleplay community for News, Lets Talks, Guides, Help and character builds.

Youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    There is not complete resistance cap. 33k is the base one. After 33k it would take you reaching 45k to see any changes. I put 45 k resistances to test it one day and it did do alittle. But the change is so minor that it is not worth reaching.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok short msg while on my way to work but will watch video later too. Resistance cap is 33,000 spell and physical resistance. That is 50% mitigation at cap and 1% per 660 resistance. And the other comment that Nolic1 made made it looks like blocking only increase mitigation by 10 it 20% but base mitigation from blocking is 50% with one handed and shield and frost staffs having passives that gives another 20%. It's all in my thread, it's a bit out of date but I don't want to update it yet as I am retesting a lot of stuff as things have changed the last few updates. But no change in resistance since it got moved to apply before damage shields.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    stpdmonkey wrote: »
    There is not complete resistance cap. 33k is the base one. After 33k it would take you reaching 45k to see any changes. I put 45 k resistances to test it one day and it did do alittle. But the change is so minor that it is not worth reaching.

There is no change, I've tested with even more than that. You may just have accidentally change a different variable as well that made you see a difference. Good thing to note though with high resistance like that is that in PvP it can keep you above the cap even against players with high penetration.
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭

There is no change, I've tested with even more than that. You may just have accidentally change a different variable as well that made you see a difference. Good thing to note though with high resistance like that is that in PvP it can keep you above the cap even against players with high penetration.

I'd I could find the notes from zos that did remove the hard cap. They may have reinstated it at some point that I missed. I never worry about having more then 33k on my tank because it's pointless.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'd I could find the notes from zos that did remove the hard cap. They may have reinstated it at some point that I missed. I never worry about having more then 33k on my tank because it's pointless.

If they removed the hardcap and made resistance go past 50% mitigation one would be able to with ease reach stupid levels of mitigation. And even if it didn't scale the same way after 50%, it would instead then be a waste and why make the change? And I retest stuff like that fairly frequently just in case. The wording of a hard cap might be what's missleading as you can go past it but with no added benefit, except when being penetrated in PvP, but there is no value in having resistance over 33,000 in PvE or well 33,100 as mobs still have a base 100pen.
  • POMEH
    POMEH
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Its more difficultly than I thought. Thanks for link and thank @paulsimonps for detail information. I didnt want to dig and delve so deep in block mechanic. As a tank I have about 35k resistance and use my shield and dont think more about all block\resistance mechanic.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    33 is cap but my LA tank is at 38k buffed with fortified and protective Jewlery. In pvp always assume 5-10k gets debuffed then still or close to cap still.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.