Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where to Find Rare Recipes?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Is any specific location good for finding rare purple recipes, like Recipe: Longfin Pasty With Melon Sauce?

I need that for a writ and the price in a couple of guild vendors is much too high.

Is it completely random or can I go someplace specific to look for it?
PC
PS4/PS5
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easier to farm gold.
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    That one will drop very rarely from max level provisioner writs.
    Don’t expect to get quick but you never know
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing max level writs since they've launched, up to 36 characters a day doing them, and I have learned the recipe on only 10 of them (I just learn the unknown dropped recipes). It's one of the rarest ones, hence why it's expensive. Hell, all 36 can make gold psijic ambrosia I've gotten so many of the fragments.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's random, so look everywhere you can - containers, backpacks etc.. At least for me it drops fairly often (for a purple) and it's quite cheap - IIRC, it's less than 2k
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I suspected it was completely random, but I wanted to up my chances for it (and similar others) if that was possible.

Does "maxing provisioning" mean maxing the recipe level and difficulty or having it fully skill pointed out?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's expensive because it's a rare drop, with high utility. Besides completing a master writ, purple tri stat food is useful in a wide variety of content (I use it in pvp, vma, PvE tanking). Technically it should increase your chance of getting provisioning master writs once learned. Since you'd only get 2 vouchers for completing it, destroying or selling the writ is not a huge loss if you don't want to pay for the recipe.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I suspected it was completely random, but I wanted to up my chances for it (and similar others) if that was possible.

Does "maxing provisioning" mean maxing the recipe level and difficulty or having it fully skill pointed out?

Just the "Recipe Improvement" is all that matters
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Just the "Recipe Improvement" is all that matters

Thanks for the clarification.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    It's expensive because it's a rare drop, with high utility. Besides completing a master writ, purple tri stat food is useful in a wide variety of content (I use it in pvp, vma, PvE tanking). Technically it should increase your chance of getting provisioning master writs once learned. Since you'd only get 2 vouchers for completing it, destroying or selling the writ is not a huge loss if you don't want to pay for the recipe.

Good points. I also have one for Jugged Rabbit Preserves that looks similar. I am starting to fill my bank with things like this.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »

Sell the writ if you don't want it, only destroy the jewelry ones.

You might see those 2 writ vouchers as not worth the effort but people don't buy those ones for the vouchers. With a Mythic Ambrosia, turning one of those in gives you just under 30K xp(just over 40K xp during double xp events, why you normally see inflation), pre make a large amount with the Writ-worthy add on and drink the Mythic then turn them in and you will see why they sell quick in guild stores when priced fairly.

That said Provisioning ones have a slightly smaller market than Alchemy and Enchanting ones, since its likely only the main crafter of a players account is going to know all the relevant recipes, while the others can be done on alts provided they have the skill lines maxed and have the mats.

As for the recipes you only need to buy them once, on your main crafter, you can always make more gold, once you have bought the recipe you never have to worry about it again, compared to most motifs/furniture plans the cost is fairly small.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    As for the recipes you only need to buy them once, on your main crafter, you can always make more gold, once you have bought the recipe you never have to worry about it again, compared to most motifs/furniture plans the cost is fairly small.

I have not found this to be true for the ones I need, such as the Jugged Rabbit one. I have a master writ for 2 writs than requires it now. Not enough to go hog wild, but it would be nice to have, but expensive whenever I look.

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not found this to be true for the ones I need, such as the Jugged Rabbit one. I have a master writ for 2 writs than requires it now. Not enough to go hog wild, but it would be nice to have, but expensive whenever I look.

if you haven't accepted the master writ yet, you can bank the unopened writ and then complete them on your "main" crafter, who does know most of the recipes/motifs/etc...
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

if you haven't accepted the master writ yet, you can bank the unopened writ and then complete them on your "main" crafter, who does know most of the recipes/motifs/etc...

That is what I am doing, but I am starting to fill up too much of my banker. Only a few provisioning ones though. Most are motifs I don't have yet. I am working on the blacksmithing and clothing, but those take a lot longer than woodworking.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rng... You need to check every urn, every backpack, every piece of furniture... That's how I got it. That's how I also got the Imperial motif as well.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KMarble wrote: »
    It's random, so look everywhere you can - containers, backpacks etc.. At least for me it drops fairly often (for a purple) and it's quite cheap - IIRC, it's less than 2k

This recipe is currently selling for 50-60K on Xbox/NA! Of all of the purple recipes needed for Provisioning Writs, this is easily the most desirable, and the hardest to acquire. I don't recommend farming for it though. You could just farm dragons or furnishings in Rimmen Palace, and sell any Elsweyr Furnishing Plans, in order to be able to purchase this recipe!
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Best bet, farm all the places you would farm for furnishing recipes AND do top-tier provisioning writs on as many characters as you can.

Also, don't forget about any urns/backpacks in delves/public dungeons/dungeons, as I've recently gotten two purple provisioning recipes from them on PC. I don't play on PC that much since I switched to console and so my main hadn't learned the CP 150 recipes yet. I got at least two just from looting containers during my normal questing. The rest came from purposeful farming and provisioning writs (she's the only one that does top-tier). I have all CP 150 purples now and I rarely play on PC as it is. I suppose I just got really lucky.

Oh...I just remembered. When CP 150 recipes were introduced, I farmed the Mages Guild in Orsinium and got several purple recipes that way (the rest came from the provisioning writs). I farmed pretty regularly there for a few months. I was mainly after the green writ recipes, since we couldn't buy them off of vendors at the time. Not only did I get a good number of the CP 150 recipes (green/blue/purple) but I ended up with a lot of loot to fence.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on July 2, 2019 6:36PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Best bet, farm all the places you would farm for furnishing recipes AND do top-tier provisioning writs on as many characters as you can.

Also, don't forget about any urns/backpacks in delves/public dungeons/dungeons, as I've recently gotten two purple provisioning recipes from them on PC. I don't play on PC that much since I switched to console and so my main hadn't learned the CP 150 recipes yet. I got at least two just from looting containers during my normal questing. The rest came from purposeful farming and provisioning writs (she's the only one that does top-tier). I have all CP 150 purples now and I rarely play on PC as it is. I suppose I just got really lucky.

Oh...I just remembered. When CP 150 recipes were introduced, I farmed the Mages Guild in Orsinium and got several purple recipes that way (the rest came from the provisioning writs). I farmed pretty regularly there for a few months. I was mainly after the green writ recipes, since we couldn't buy them off of vendors at the time. Not only did I get a good number of the CP 150 recipes (green/blue/purple) but I ended up with a lot of loot to fence.

I have gotten many recipes from the thieves and dark brotherhood quests.

I am not sure where to farm specifically though. I would really like to get the Buoyant Armiger stuff now, but trying to find places for that did not go well in my single attempt at finding a good location. Too few places to find people to pickpocket without getting seen as well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would really like to get the Buoyant Armiger stuff now, but trying to find places for that did not go well in my single attempt at finding a good location. Too few places to find people to pickpocket without getting seen as well.

Buoyant Arminger is a pain to find because we only have a smaller change to get those pages from treasure chests across Vvardenfell. Treasure chests or psijic portals.

Hlaalu, Redoran and Telvanni are the only motif pages you can acquire by pickpocketing in Vvardenfell.
    Get these passives unlocked to struggle less while pickpocketing:
    - Veil of Shadows (TG skill line - detection radius is decreased by 10%)
    - Light Fingers IV (Legerdemain skill line - Increases your chances of successfully Pickpocketing by 50%)
    Edited by redlink1979 on August 6, 2019 9:23AM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP