The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran Tanking

Rampeal
Rampeal
✭✭✭✭✭
This has happened to me in many Vet dungeons and I was just wondering if this is common.

So I will be tanking just fine and when I get to a boss the healer just stops healing and dpsing, which is fine because most bosses I can self heal. We get to more complex bosses where you have to follow the mechanics to the letter and the healer does not heal me. Of course I die and soon many are to follow. I ask why no heals and am immediately told that they will help out a bit, but I should be self healing.

Don't get me wrong I have plenty of shields and heals it is just I spend all my stamina and magicka to self sustain and when in comes time of a huge hit I have nothing left to block with. While the healer is off healing the dps and dpsing. Is this the way it is?
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    No that is ridiculous. I run a main tank and main healer. There is usually one healer dedicated to the tank but still helps the group of course. The healer needs to know mechanics so they can provide the tank heals at critical points. Unless your a templar tank with a resto back bar you should not have to provide your own self heals completely. Also you should be getting holy shards not bubbles
  • Rampeal
    Rampeal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it just make Tanking feel really Toxic. Makes me not wanna do it anymore to be honest.
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    I feel you there. For almost 3 years I only had a tank. I took a break because of stuff like you are talking about. And when I came back I found a group that was good. Took a bit but I did. Just look around. I personally do not tank for pug groups or guilds I do not know because of that. My tank is still my best but ran the least. It doesn't deserve to be treated like that. I'm pissed about the talons nerf making crowd control almost impossible
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    its best to learn to self heal since its not hard and its a very useful skill to learn and then you dont have to be reliant on anyone and wont have to come post about how bad healers are since it wont matter
    eisley the worst
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a tank. There’s very few dungeons where I need a healer. A little vigor or a breath of life off heals from somebody is plenty enough, probably more than %90 of the time.

Your main job is to live and aggro priority mobs and bosses. Buffing the group is more a side effect. Once you get tanking under control more, then you can focus on buffing the group. That often is completely wasted on pugs.

For dungeons. Not trials. You could put on Leeching plate, resilient Yokeda, battalion defender, Nightflame, Sentinel, you’ll never need a healer.

Also, you can change ults. Prepare for pugs with different skills. Potions. Mindset.

Then, eventually you’d rather have 3 DPS or maybe an offhealer that DPS %90 of the time.

This is tanking progression.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... you're not insane, tanking gets no respect, with most people and especially with randoms. More people than is reasonable think that all content should be able to be done with all DPSes and whoever has the worst damage gets put on off-heal duty. And even then not all tanks or healers are the best, because nobody wants to tank or heal considering how they're treated, so most randoms joining a dungeon or trial should be more thankful someone is taking on the thankless role than being jerks to the only ones keeping them alive.

My recommendation? Show them how much power the tank has in the relationship. They wanna be toxic, don't aggro what's attacking them, or don't heal them, only help your other teammates. They'll either leave and be replaced, hopefully by someone better, or they'll apologize because the tank is, in fact, an important role.

Or just play with friends who aren't jerks. That's what I do.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Rampeal
    Rampeal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the advice. I have a question. I run about 50k health, but would like more stamina. Is it okay to run 40-45k health and still be okay as a tank?
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rampeal wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice. I have a question. I run about 50k health, but would like more stamina. Is it okay to run 40-45k health and still be okay as a tank?

Absolutely. Different tanks run different things. I have somewhere between 50k and 55k on my health recovery tank, but I actually only have somewhere around 30k on my magicka tank. It all depends on your build.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tri-stat glyphs, tri-stat food, triune jewelry should give you sufficient stam.

Deep thoughts is insanely good for self sustain.

Self healing should be something you learn to do eventually if you want to be comfortable in PUGs. It’s a huge benefit if the healer needs to split off with DD’s that aren’t skilled, or if the healer dies, or if both DD are dead and healer is rezzing, etc, etc.