Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 26 (The Greymoor Patch) - Eidetic Memory Books Which Are Still Bugged

BrightOblivion
BrightOblivion
✭✭✭✭✭
As always, I'm grateful for the work that is done to slowly repair broken Eidteic Memory books. That said, below you will find a number of books which are still bugged, and have been for quite a few patches. Some, like the Tome of the Undaunted were bugged for at least a year when I first posted this list during the Elsweyr patch this time last year. I've done my best to accumulate descriptions of the issues surrounding each of these books and suggest post-quest locations when possible.

Tome of the Undaunted : Handbills, Posters, and Decrees
Not to be confused with its cousin, the Tome of the Undaunted (signed), which is perfectly fine and can be accessed in the Grahtwood Undaunted Enclave, this book has (from what I have been able to determine) absolutely no way to obtain it. It cannot be interacted with either before or during the quest "Taking the Undaunted Pledge," and is replaced by the signed version after the quest is completed (because the player signs it during the quest). One option to fix this issue is to place a copy of the unsigned version in one of the other Undaunted enclaves. Another option, since this is literally the same content as Tome of the Undaunted (signed) with the exception of the player’s signature, is to delete this book and just have the signed version be the only one, accessible after completing the associated quest.
Dead Water Riddle Fragment : Lore of Murkmire
Some patches ago, a post quest location was added for the Bright Throat Riddle Fragment, however no location has been added for this fragment as of yet. Like its Bright Throat counterpart, it is part of the quest "Whispers in the Wind," and is added and removed from the player's inventory without much warning or preamble. Having a post-quest location would be extremely beneficial for those who miss this small window.
Illuminus : Summerset Scrolls
This book is part of the quest "Illusions of Grandeur" in the Illumination Academy, and is recovered and shelved as part of the quest (after which it disappears). No post-quest location seems to exist, meaning that those who did the quest with another player who shelved the book instead have no way of obtaining it.
Naliara's Notes, Days 2, 8, 13, and 18; King's Haven Territory Record, King's Haven Trade Record, and King's Haven Scouting Record : Summerset Scrolls
These books are part of the quest "Savage Truths." During the quest, they are interacted with, the note pages disappear, and the plaques on which the records are kept become uninteractable. If a bug occurs where the books aren't added to the collection at this moment, it cannot be fixed. Thus, a post-quest location for them is needed.
Lirendel's Family Shrine : Summerset Scrolls
This only appears during the quest "A Duelist's Dilemma," on the statue in Tor-Hame-Khard. After the quest, the plaque is once again uninteractable. I'll need to do this quest again to remember where the duel takes place in order to be certain that a rubbing of it isn't left there, but I do not believe that will be the case.
For Captain Telomure; ; Journal of Justiciar Avanaire : Summerset Scrolls
Like the Pearl Research Notes, Log 3 that was just fixed, these books are located in Tor-Hame-Khard during the quest "Pearls Before Traitors" and disappear on quest turn-in. As interaction with these is not required for the quest, it makes it very easy for the player to miss their opportunity to retrieve these books for their collection. Therefore, it would be wise to either ensure that they remain present in their current locations after the quest is turned in or to give them a post-quest location, possibly outside the delve near Captain Telomure.
Sealed Letter : Mysteries and Clues
This book is used to begin the Dragonfall prologue from the Crown Store and, unlike many of the books for the prologue line, it lacks a post-quest location. As such, if something bugs out and the book isn't added to the Eidetic Memory log when it should be, there is no other option to add it. Possible post-quest locations could be one of the inn rooms where the player meets Kasura for the quest, or simply placing it in the upper room of the stable in the Valley of the Blades with the other books for the prologue.

If you have any questions, or would like any elaboration, please don't hesitate to ask.

As always, if anyone has anything to add or dispute, or can provide an in-game location I have missed, please don't hesitate to say so.
Edited by BrightOblivion on April 21, 2020 3:18PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writ of valid credentials is my only missing book. A year after release. It's going to be the death of me.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Chosin137 was kind enough to point out, I had missed where they'd added Writ of Valid Credentials and Sapiarch's Recommendation to the Conference Room in Alinor's Royal Palace last week. Sorry for getting that wrong.

This week, I am still in the process of taking stock of which books have been added (and so will update this post as I go on). The major points not mentioned in those patch notes are thus:
    • Orders to Halskar is FIXED!!!! (Checked on my main character who has done both quests in the area, and it was there on the ground by the steps)
    • Invitation to the Kinlady's Conference has a location on the table near Riharai the Brewer in the Anchor's Aweigh Inn in Shimmerene!!!!
    • Conversion Status is on the table in Paragon's Remembrance once the quest is complete!!!! ( @Oldbushie )
    • For those missing the books on Norg-Tzel (Blackguard Instructions One, Two, and Three and The Curse of Beela-Kar, these are now scattered about Jee-Lar and Concordia near Stormhold!!!!
    • Hazak's Lair in Khenarthis' Roost can now be entered even after the associated quest, meaning that No Reason to Worry no longer needs a taxi!!!!

• A location for a book labeled "Rhanbiq's Notes" has been added to the barrel near the Tip Board in the Thieves' Den. HOWEVER interacting with it opens up the Riddles of the Rithana-di-Renada and does not add Rhanbiq's Notes to the player's collection. (I just reported this in-game, but didn't grab the report number.) On the plus side, it's one step closer to having this one fixed!
    • I have checked the three Undaunted enclaves, and checked the inns of the three starter cities where the player is first inducted into the Undaunted for good measure, and have not been able to locate a copy of the unsigned Tome of the Undaunted after completing the quest "Signing the Undaunted Pledge." I will add that the Tomes in Mournhold and Wayrest remain uninteractable. Only the copy in Elden Root actually acts like a book. (/bug at Mournhold: 190422-003503)
    • I have searched Cyrodillic Collections, the area in and around the Swallowed Grove, the Deadwater Gravesinger's House, and the grove where Xukas hears the chimes, and have not been able to locate a copy of either the Bright-Throat Riddle Fragment or the Deadwater Riddle Fragment. I used /bug to mark these by the table in Cyrodillic Collections (190422-993471 for Bright-Throat and 190422-003481 for Deadwater, respectively).
    • I have also searched the area in and around both the Gate of Alma Ruma and the Gate of Ni-Mohk and seen no sign of Information Request from Emeric or Updated Instructions from Dortene, meaning that they are still completely unobtainable to members of the other two alliances no matter what they do (something I find extremely frustrating). I used /bug at the Gate of Alma Ruma (reports 190422-003790 and 190422-003812 respectively). If these are located anywhere but the area surrounding the gatehouses, more specific dev intervention is going to be needed for us to locate them, as the area between them and the camps is particularly large and unpleasant to search for something the size of a letter.
    • I have searched the Illumination Academy Stacks and the area around the Illumination Academy, and have been unable to locate copies of Illuminus, The Truth of Minotaurs, The Siege of Ald Marak or The Forest Dark after the quest "Illusions of Grandeur" for those who encountered bugs with the books when they did the quest.
    • The books connected to the quest "Savage Truths" are still without post-quest locations. These include Naliara's Notes, Days 2, 8, 13, and 18, King's Haven Territory Record, King's Haven Trade Record, and King's Haven Scouting Record. While they are interacted with during the course of the quest, bugs have occurred in the past which have rendered them unobtainable at the time. As such, a post-quest location would be beneficial.
    • I have also been unable to locate a copy of Those Who Stood at Chalman Keep that is accessible to AD players.

I don't have any information on Nahirah's Journal, because I'm not in the gamestate in which it's bugged (ie having done "Amputating the Hand" and not "The Search for Shiri") and can't check on it as a result.

A sincere thank you to the person(s) who have been working on fixing these. Y'all rock!
    Edited by BrightOblivion on April 22, 2019 7:50PM
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we are, one week from the PTS ending, so this will be my last post regarding these this cycle. (Probably)

I have updated the first post with my findings, but for the sake of simplicity, I'll also post them here. More detailed findings have also been posted in the Eidetic Memory Bugs v2 thread.

Tome of the Undaunted (the unsigned version) - Still unobtainable, before, during, and after "Taking the Undaunted Pledge" It just doesn't appear to be in game right now, outside of its location in the Eidetic Memory list. And it hasn't for over a year. So no one's been able to obtain it in that time.
    Updated Instructions from Dortene; Information Request from Emeric - Still no way to obtain them if you aren't in DC (they only exist inside the Southern High Rock Gate Camp). Thus, no way to get them for 2/3 of characters.
    Bright Throat Riddle Fragment; Dead-Water Riddle Fragment - A post-quest location for these books still does not exist, for those who didn't realize they'd been added to the quest inventory and then removed during the quest.
    Illuminus, The Truth of Minotaurs, The Siege of Ald Marak, The Forest Dark - Part of "Illusions of Grandeur." Not available after quest.
    Naliara's Notes, Days 2, 8, 13, and 18; King's Haven Territory Record; King's Haven Trade Record; King's Haven Scouting Record - Part of "Savage Truths." No post-quest location exists.
    [Lirendel's Family Shrine - Part of "A Duelist's Dilemma." No post-quest location exists.
    For Captain Telomure; Pearl Research Notes, Log 3; Journal of Justiciar Avanaire - Part of "Pearls Before Traitors." No post-quest location exists. These are easily missed, and aren't tied to the quest objectives, so having no post-quest location for these is rather unfortunate.

That much is pretty much how it's been since 5.0.2, and how I expect it will probably be until at least next cycle's PTS, when I'll bring them up again. Regarding Elsweyr and its eidetic memory section specifically, I will note the following.
    • With the Elsweyr PTS, Sealed Imperial Summons was added to the Elsweyr Epistles and Almanacs section. This is the book which is available in the crown store to start the Elsweyr prologue and was already in the game as such. It's just been added to the library. However, while you are able to obtain it from the crown store even after finishing the quest, interacting with it once the prologue quests are done (at least on the Live server) only yields the message "You have already completed this quest." It is not in the crown store on the PTS, so I can't check if it's the same there. Can a copy please be placed outside of the crown store/the player's inventory for people to read, particularly once the quest is done? Given that you can start the quest by talking to Anais Davaux, without knowing anything about this sealed missive, I would say that it's extremely easy to miss. Also, given the message I received when I tried to interact with it, after getting it off the crown store, it would seem that anyone who's already done "The Demon Weapon" would be out of luck. This isn't good.
    • I have not personally laid eyes on or seen coordinates for either Khadabi's Rules or A Sacrament Remains, and so I don't know about any quest-related connections there. At this point, I'll see what turns up when the masses are loosed upon Elsweyr and addons like Lorebooks are updated. In the meantime, just keep your eyes peeled.
    • There is another book (Letter for Vittoria) whose specifics I cannot mention outside of the Elsweyr spoilers thread, so I'll do so there. (EDIT: Had time to check on this myself. All's well.)

All in all, with 15 books, some of which have been bugged for several years, having been fixed this patch, I'm very pleased. While I'd wish that the Tome of the Undaunted and the two DC books had been fixed as well, maybe they'll get their turn next patch (I fervently hope so).

Until then, what I'm most curious about is who Khadabi is and why her rules matter...
    Edited by BrightOblivion on May 14, 2019 1:29AM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ad Imperial Sumons, that's exactly what they did for Murkmire Prologue too. They added the book via store for the prologue, while not having an entry in the EM section. But after an update, the entry in the EM showed up, but you could no longer interact with the crown store book, and had to find a physical version of it somewhere near the questgiver.

Why ZOS keeps implementing EM books with the frankly stupid and amateurish setup is beyond me. Could some supervisor not ask the devs and implementors to make SURE a book they add in the game comes with an EM entry as well, so it doesn't have to be fixed or corrected post hoc, often YEARS after the book was first introduced to the game.
    Not to mention making sure that quest books ALWAYS have a post quest location, to avoid having to beg and yell for it years after the quest has been implemented.

It's not become so rediculous that I'm literally afraid to do any new DLC quests until weeks and weeks after the DLC is out and the Lorebooks addon has been updated, to make sure I'm not missing any of those missable lorebooks in quests that are otherwise unobtainable, which quite frankly is a huge failure on this game's design.
  • inclinations
    inclinations
    ✭✭✭
    Vvardenfell Volumes Assasin's Orders this one is still an issue for me. Can't find a copy to read after quest

Elsweyr Epistles and Almanacs Sealed Imperial Orders After quest I cannot read this, I'm sure I did but its missing from my eidetic.
    Vet Maelstrom makes me cry.
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    PC | EU
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    Gandalf_72 wrote: »
    For Captain Telomure; Pearl Research Notes, Log 3; Journal of Justiciar Avanaire : Summerset Scrolls
    All three of these books are located in Tor-Hame-Khard during the quest "Pearls Before Traitors" and disappear on quest turn-in. As interaction with these is not required for the quest, and because at least one of these (Pearl Research Notes, Log 3 is off the beaten path, it makes it very easy for the player to miss their opportunity to retrieve these books for their collection. Therefore, it would be wise to either ensure that they remain present in their current locations after the quest is turned in or to give them a post-quest location, possibly outside the delve near Captain Telomure.

PC | EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this change anything for y'all?

Eidetic Memory

Pearl Research Notes, Log 3 is now accessible even after completing the quest associated with it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, it fixes that book for those who missed it during the quest. So that's a plus.

That said, none of the top 3 books I see reported in the Bugged Books threads were fixed thus far. These are:
    - Tome of the Undaunted (the unsigned version, which has absolutely no way to obtain it in game)
    - Dead Water Riddle Fragment (no post-quest location, unlike the Bright Throat Riddle Fragment from the exact same quest)
    - Sealed Letter (the Dragonguard prologue book, which has no post-quest location, unlike most of the other books from that prologue).

I'm hoping that they might slip into a later patch this cycle, or that maybe they were fixed but not just mentioned in the patch notes.

My expectations aren't super high, but I'm hoping.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, it fixes that book for those who missed it during the quest. So that's a plus.

That said, none of the top 3 books I see reported in the Bugged Books threads were fixed thus far. These are:
    - Tome of the Undaunted (the unsigned version, which has absolutely no way to obtain it in game)
    - Dead Water Riddle Fragment (no post-quest location, unlike the Bright Throat Riddle Fragment from the exact same quest)
    - Sealed Letter (the Dragonguard prologue book, which has no post-quest location, unlike most of the other books from that prologue).

I'm hoping that they might slip into a later patch this cycle, or that maybe they were fixed but not just mentioned in the patch notes.

My expectations aren't super high, but I'm hoping.

Yup, still waiting for that post quest Dead Water Riddle fragment...............still...............Waiting
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a book on an ayleid ruins in Cyrodiil near the Pact territory that's been bugged lots of patches ago (Is under the floor, you can see it's glow but is unreachable). It's fixed on this one? I'll screenshot asap

Also the book "Hands off" on the Aetherian Archives is nowhere to be found
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inval1d wrote: »
    There's a book on an ayleid ruins in Cyrodiil near the Pact territory that's been bugged lots of patches ago (Is under the floor, you can see it's glow but is unreachable). It's fixed on this one? I'll screenshot asap

Also the book "Hands off" on the Aetherian Archives is nowhere to be found

Hands Off is found in Veteran Aetherian Archives, because it's pertaining to the orbs that start hard mode. I think you can just go into the lobby on veteran and snag it there, but it's been long enough since I've gotten it that I don't remember.
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    It's not become so rediculous that I'm literally afraid to do any new DLC quests until weeks and weeks after the DLC is out and the Lorebooks addon has been updated, to make sure I'm not missing any of those missable lorebooks in quests that are otherwise unobtainable, which quite frankly is a huge failure on this game's design.

^This.

Like, I read all of the riddle fragments in Murkmire while doing the quest because I was curious, only to find out later that the dead water one did not update in the Eidetic Memory and is, to date, the ONLY book I'm missing. Super annoyed that it still has no post quest location.
    Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright. I've updated the original post, removing the books that have been fixed in the past year and adding the Sealed Letter. I've also changed which update is being referenced in the title line because it's obviously no longer update 22.

@ethuiliel That's incredibly unfortunate. I know quite a few people who are missing the Dead Water Riddle Fragment and hoping for a fix, and wish I had any news to impart. I would ask, since you've already obtained it, if you remember where you got the unsigned version of the Tome of the Undaunted? For me, that's my "one book" that I have been unable to obtain pretty much since I started trying to collect them, and not being able to find it has seriously put me off trying to collect the rest. As far as I'm aware, it's bugged and unobtainable at the present time, but if I'm mistaken, I'd very much like to know.
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would ask, since you've already obtained it, if you remember where you got the unsigned version of the Tome of the Undaunted?

I wish I would remember since I've seen it in eidetic memory threads so often, and I would love to help people out :( I started doing undaunted content extremely late (when I was already around CP500 I think) so it's possible I clicked on it somewhere before I even started the invitation quest. @BrightOblivion

And some proof that the riddle fragment is indeed my last missing piece, because why not:

y0opbjjyywly.png

Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like Tome of the Undaunted (Signed) just got patched out of the Elden Root enclave. At least my main couldn't activate it there.

As far as I'm aware, it's now got no location left outside of the Undaunted Invitation quest.

The unsigned version, along with Dead-Water Riddle Fragment, seems to be inaccessible still.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    It looks like Tome of the Undaunted (Signed) just got patched out of the Elden Root enclave. At least my main couldn't activate it there.

As far as I'm aware, it's now got no location left outside of the Undaunted Invitation quest.

The unsigned version, along with Dead-Water Riddle Fragment, seems to be inaccessible still.

That sounds like going the opposite direction of where they should be going. Did you by chance check the other enclaves in case it got moved (for whatever incomprehensible reason?)
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

That sounds like going the opposite direction of where they should be going. Did you by chance check the other enclaves in case it got moved (for whatever incomprehensible reason?)

I didn’t have time, unfortunately. I’ll make it a point to do so today!
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @virtus753
    Don't worry about it. I finally updated my PTS and went searching around the enclaves. Neither tome is there, so I bug-reported both of them and Dead Water Riddle Fragment.
  • Qethsegol
    Qethsegol
    ✭✭✭
    Now that EU characters have been copied I can confirm that Naliara's Notes (during Summerset quest "Savage Truths") are still nowhere to be found post-quest.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that EU characters have been copied I can confirm that Naliara's Notes (during Summerset quest "Savage Truths") are still nowhere to be found post-quest.

Given there's been no mention of it in the patch notes, I can't say I'm surprised. All I can suggest is posting a bug report in-game and maybe opening up a support ticket to tell them what's going on with the books. Hopefully, they get fixed at some point.

Sadly, I think they've reached their book quota for this patch and we're stuck waiting around until the next PTS cycle hits.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bright Throat Riddle Fragment; Dead-Water Riddle Fragment - A post-quest location for these books still does not exist, for those who didn't realize they'd been added to the quest inventory and then removed during the quest.

You can find the Bright Throat Riddle Fragment in Tree-Minder Pavu's House in Bright-Throat Village. For sure.
    At the moment I am waiting for:
    - Undaunted tome (unsigned)
    - Sealed letter
    - Dead Water Riddle Fragment

I can't understand why ZOS is fixing these books little by little...
    OK lets wait...

Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • Anne13
    Anne13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please give a post quests location for Dead-water riddle fragment. @ZOS_GinaBruno
    I am currently 4549/4550

This is the last book before Greymoor drops for us on ps4 eu
  • No_Wan
    No_Wan
    ✭✭
    Tome of the Undaunted (unsigned) used to be available for one of the alliances.
    Is that still the case and if so Which alliance?
    Thinking of using the switch alliance token to get the books complete.