The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Necromancer's Shocking Siphon & Restoring Tether Issue

Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix
✭✭✭✭✭
These two abilities seem to be counter-intuitive by their design:

- Mystic Siphon returns magicka, grants additional damage while slotted, and deals damage BUT the ability cost versus the sustain granted results in net loss for the player.

- Mortal Coil return stamina, but is tied to a HEALING ability that grants better healing while slotted. Stamina characters get the shaft with sustain as a Necro because of how misplaced their sustain is on the class tree.

This issue could be fixed by changing Shocking Siphon cost and its 2 morphs - one for stamina sustain and one for magicka sustain, while having the Restoring Tether ability just do HEALING like it's supposed to do. This way, both stamina and magicka characters can take advantage of Siphon's slotted 3% damage passive AND sustain as intended.
“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These two abilities seem to be counter-intuitive by their design:

- Mystic Siphon returns magicka, grants additional damage while slotted, and deals damage BUT the ability cost versus the sustain granted results in net loss for the player.

- Mortal Coil return stamina, but is tied to a HEALING ability that grants better healing while slotted. Stamina characters get the shaft with sustain as a Necro because of how misplaced their sustain is on the class tree.

This issue could be fixed by changing Shocking Siphon cost and its 2 morphs - one for stamina sustain and one for magicka sustain, while having the Restoring Tether ability just do HEALING like it's supposed to do. This way, both stamina and magicka characters can take advantage of Siphon's slotted 3% damage passive AND sustain as intended.
    The stamina return is more of a thing for Magicka builds in PvP, and IMO certainly doesn't need to be taken away.
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was a net loss for magicka, then magicka got the shaft more then stam, stam would be turning a off state into a primary stat at least. But in actual gameplay, most of your sustain does not come from either of those abilities, your passives make up most of your magicka and stamina sustain, even though they nerfed some of that passive regen. Honestly, they could probably use a change, but I would rather see them give necro a execute, because right now, only stam can do it and I am really tired of magicka builds not have them.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After maxing out my stam necro, I've gotta say, it has the worst sustain I've ever experienced. They have fairly cheap abilities, but with the rotation I'm running (which is a standard static rotation using dw and bow) I can't self-sustain, even with 1800 regen while a potion and summon is active... It's so unenjoyable to play, because the damage doesn't even really make up for it. Dragonknights with their super expensive rotations are somehow easier to self-sustain with just because of Battle Roar.. and really, the 100 stamina restored when an enemy dies is negligible, so the only sustain you get on a stam necro is the 100 regen when a summon is active. And the thing is, I messed around with the class on pts the first week, and it was not this bad, so they really *** it up somewhere in one of those sweeping nerfs. I really think necro feels nice to play, thanks to the great visual feedback from the skills, but it's just so buggy and weirdly designed that I find it hard to enjoy, at least as a stam dps.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    After maxing out my stam necro, I've gotta say, it has the worst sustain I've ever experienced. They have fairly cheap abilities, but with the rotation I'm running (which is a standard static rotation using dw and bow) I can't self-sustain, even with 1800 regen while a potion and summon is active... It's so unenjoyable to play, because the damage doesn't even really make up for it. Dragonknights with their super expensive rotations are somehow easier to self-sustain with just because of Battle Roar.. and really, the 100 stamina restored when an enemy dies is negligible, so the only sustain you get on a stam necro is the 100 regen when a summon is active. And the thing is, I messed around with the class on pts the first week, and it was not this bad, so they really *** it up somewhere in one of those sweeping nerfs. I really think necro feels nice to play, thanks to the great visual feedback from the skills, but it's just so buggy and weirdly designed that I find it hard to enjoy, at least as a stam dps.

Necromancer's Death Gleaning passive returns 200 magicka and stamina every time an enemy dies near you which sounds great until you realize this passive does nothing for you in the majority of boss fights where there are little to no adds. ZoS could add to this passive and have it also restore resources every time you consume a corpse, but I still believe it won't be enough. Siphon is even worse than Tether in terms of sustain: it is a net loss of magicka with clunky targeting; definitely not worth using.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”