Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Unstoppable Spinning Toon again

• kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    The key for me seems to have been: Launch in windowed mode, toggle accessibility off/on, then quit out of ESO. If I just go play and it crashes, and since patch it's always crashed after 2-4 hours, I have to do it again. But now that I've saved it, it seems to be fixed "permanently".
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    EVERY TIME I LOG IN

Every bloody time

How is it that ZOS can continually break the game in the exact same way EVERY BLOODY TIME?

You would have thought they might have learned after the first five or six times.

But no. More full on contempt for the Mac
    EVERY TIME I LOG IN

Every bloody time

How is it that ZOS can continually break the game in the exact same way EVERY BLOODY TIME?

You would have thought they might have learned after the first five or six times.

But no. More full on contempt for the Mac

It is worth noting that aside from the periodic crashes, the beta Mac client worked without this issue in evidence at all.

I'm not so ready to point the finger at the developers on this one. It is probably due to something they didn't do rather than what they did, or maybe something completely outside of their control.
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    I will add that toggling permission on eso.app seems to make no difference, as the post above said it is the launcher.

But the weird thing is:

1. if I start the launcher, launch the game (no other action) - spinning.
    2. if I then toggle privacy perm on the launcher - fixed
    3. if I start the launcher, toggle the privacy permission - no spinning

It's just weird.

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still happening.

EVERY time I launch the game.

Another duff client out the door from ZOS.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting this spinning every time I log in, as well as sometimes after playing a while and then switching characters. It seems to be whenever the system preferences window reverts to locked.

There also seems to be a related issue this time around where you cannot click and hold on your character to rotate them - like on the character select page or in the clothing station where you should be able to look at the sides and back of your character. They simply don't move while you're holding down the mouse button, and then as soon as you let go they spin wildly for a moment and then do an emote.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on May 22, 2019 6:12PM
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Still happening.

W
    -Jeth
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Jeth wrote: »
    Still happening.

W

T

-Jeth
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Still happening.

W

T

F
    -Jeth
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Still happening.

W

T

F

?
    -Jeth
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    Tested by the dude that thought crashing every 5 mins would be good feature enhancement.
    -Jeth
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deeprave wrote: »
    I will add that toggling permission on eso.app seems to make no difference, as the post above said it is the launcher.

But the weird thing is:

1. if I start the launcher, launch the game (no other action) - spinning.
    2. if I then toggle privacy perm on the launcher - fixed
    3. if I start the launcher, toggle the privacy permission - no spinning

It's just weird.

It would make sense that the issue is with the updated launcher rather than the game as

1. It didn’t appear on the PTS which used the previous launcher
    2. Clearly no one at ZOS tested the launcher by actually opening and playing the game
    3. They probably updated the launcher using the same base build they used the last time they messed this up.

Hopefully, it means that it’s an easy fix.

But I wouldn’t hold your breath.
  • Indasoup
    Indasoup
    Soul Shriven
    After trying every suggested fix for the launcher, checking, unchecking, before character screen, after character screen, windowed, full screen windowed and many more troubleshooting attempts. The only thing that has worked to stop the spinning is to bypass the launcher. Opening the game from the eso application solved my spinning.
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it bad that I thought this thread was about steel tornado?
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • Atlan_daGonozal
    Atlan_daGonozal
    ✭✭✭
    Carmina wrote: »
    the forced windowed mode

The forces window mode is back? There was a workaround for that as well.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s the launcher for me.

If I launch the actual game application, everything is fine.

If I launch it from the launcher, it’s puke-inducing spinny time

So the solution is to use the game app and dump the launcher. So that’s one more set of ZOS ads I don’t have to subject myself to.

Sloppy QA work, but pretty much par for the course from the ‘devs’
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    It’s the launcher for me.

I think that's the case for everyone it seems.

The suggestion above that if you keep System Preferences open *and unlocked* seems also to be true.

So that’s one more set of ZOS ads I don’t have to subject myself to.

I still wished they would do without all the useless pre-game banners in the client, can't even understand why they are there at all given the time wasted trying to re-log in after every crash and hoping to hell you haven't been kicked from your dungeon or trial group...

• Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be we only had to check and uncheck this once after the patch.. now its's EVERY TIME we open the client again. So it can be multiple times in one day.

PLEASE fix this!!
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    It's annoying, but it's not major - when you consider it took 4 months to get the last DLC to anything like even playable, I think they've done a decent job with this one so well done ZOS!

But if you could fix the spinny thing and the inability to exit the game without force quitting, that would be a delight!
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Note you dont have to leave the game - just bring up accessibility panel.

But wow what a stupid little bug that is SO annoying. I think its annoying because load times are slow enough already, that anything else that adds friction to just getting into the game is rage inducing.

Thanks for the tip about now using the launcher.

Now, if only the game would close, and that if you close the macbook when the game is still running you didn't need to force REBOOT!
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE
    If the troubleshooting steps posted above are not stopping your camera from spinning, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.

I already filed a ticket on this. Same camera spinning issue that occurred in Sept2018 after Mac update to Mojave OS. ZOS then fixed it. It hasn't been an issue until the Elsweyr chapter/update dropped.

Now, you must re authorize the game and launcher is the Mac sys prefs every time you open the game. This should hv been addressed prior to Elsweyr since it was a known (and fixed) issue.

Customer service responded to my ticket that they have passed the info to ZOS dev team but could not advise when/if there is a fix planned. We need definitive communication from dev team that this will be priority fixed, please.

Also, the troubleshooting steps leave out that you need to authorize BOTH ESO and the GAME LAUNCHER not just the launcher.
    Edited by keto3000 on May 27, 2019 6:37AM
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • Mophet
    Mophet
    ✭✭
    Zenimax Mac client needs complete overhaul when it comes to the Launcher to get it all running properly=

d8jzricmzr43.png

And it would be more professional if they filled the information out correctly.

xb8ez7ceg750.png

I can bypass the spinning character problem by opening the pubplayerclient launcher but I do end up always having to stretch the window size to full screen then.
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    Mophet wrote: »
    Zenimax Mac client needs complete overhaul when it comes to the Launcher to get it all running properly=

d8jzricmzr43.png

... means it's a 32-bit application.

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spinning toon still here after the latest update.

I would file a(nother) ticket, but ZOS’s website doesn’t allow it without me running their time wasting game analysis tool.

I already have all that data in the crash report
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep same here.

I am beginning to wonder if ZoS are really serious about maintaining a Mac client. It's gone from being rock-solid (albeit with memory leaks like an old sieve) to being an incredibly unstable pile of old dog eggs.

And don't even get me started on their fabulous communication.......... great game, shame about the company.

• nCats
    nCats
    ✭✭✭
    Spinning all the same, atrocious frames all the same.

Won't be surprised if DXVK arrives on Mac earlier than a proper Mac ESO client...

• demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    Yep same here.

I am beginning to wonder if ZoS are really serious about maintaining a Mac client. It's gone from being rock-solid (albeit with memory leaks like an old sieve) to being an incredibly unstable pile of old dog eggs.

And don't even get me started on their fabulous communication.......... great game, shame about the company.

Agreed.. but are you just now beginning to wonder that?

Also, I'd prefer someone a bit more competent in @ZOS_GinaBruno 's position. Development mishaps and bad investment of company capital are common, but a community manager that doesn't manage a community is a bright red flag.

Prove me wrong.

Also, to stay on topic, now I'm getting the spinning treatment too after 5.0.6. Thanks!
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    You know, I would file a ticket with customer support but the 2-factor authentication took so long I gave up. The forums are the only way I am able to communicate with ZOS at this point. I've just spent another $50 re-upping for Elsywr, and the very least you'd have thought they'd have fixed the SYSTEM level bugs that have been present for 9 months:

1) Spinning Toons.

2) Closing my Macbook without the client fully quit -- HUNG MACHINE. LITERALLY ALL I CAN DO IS FORCE REBOOT.

3) Going Window Mode, opening Safari to check TTC -- 50% OF TIME HUNG MACHINE. LITERALLY ALL I CAN DO IS FORCE REBOOT.

4) Client quitting (see 2), sometimes NEVER HAPPENS, have to FORCE KILL in order to avoid a FORCE REBOOT.

Macbook Pro Mid 2015.

• demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine the laughing stock they would become in the gaming world if they unknowingly had to use a Mac in one of their Twitch livestreams. :D
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    Just to note that nothing has changed in today's 180MB patch.

Feels so good for this problem to be at lower priority compared with such world breaking items such as dragons turning more accurately and fixing a runestone that couldn't be harvested. Nevermind that this issue and the constant crashing every hour or two makes the game almost unplayable for paying customers (and I'm willing to place a bet that a higher proportion of Mac users subscribe compared with pc players - a phenomenon that has been noticed by many software publishers).

Starting eso.app directly (after using the launcher to patch), and deselecting then reselecting it in Security & Privacy (once) seems to be the most convenient workaround otherwise you need to do the same with Laucher.app .. every .. single .. time .. you .. start .. the .. game.
    Edited by Deeprave on June 3, 2019 2:24PM
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Another patch, another wasted opportunity, amassing job, ZOS. As always it seems.
    agegarton wrote: »
    Yep same here.

Agreed.. but are you just now beginning to wonder that?

Also, I'd prefer someone a bit more competent in @ZOS_GinaBruno 's position. Development mishaps and bad investment of company capital are common, but a community manager that doesn't manage a community is a bright red flag.

Prove me wrong.

Also, to stay on topic, now I'm getting the spinning treatment too after 5.0.6. Thanks!
    I am not certain if I would drag any community managers into this. Thing is their impact on how actually game works is minimal - they can only calm the community for a bit but if they have no good news from devs then they can really do this much.
    nCats wrote: »
    Spinning all the same, atrocious frames all the same.

Won't be surprised if DXVK arrives on Mac earlier than a proper Mac ESO client...
    Fingers crossed. Today new macOS announcement.