The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Revert Faction Locks. We've Been Through This Already

• Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Miriel wrote: »
    frozywozy wrote: »
    Personally I believe that they should have reworked the CP system before introducing faction locks.

The main goal is to condense our PvP population as much as possible in a minimal amount of campaign to get a fair competition during primetime. Fixing the CP system would mean that we could go with one 30 days with faction locks enabled and another 30 days campaign without locks. I think this would go a long way.

In the meantime, I like the following suggestion from @MipMip :
    - locks that prevent switching to the faction that dominates the map but allow switching to the weaker factions (scoreboard)

You can change at the end of the campaign, is it so hard to stay and fight with your friends for one damn campaign ?... people gamed the system, so sorry no fun allowed !

About your proposed idea, so lets asume EP is winning, so the "loons" jump to the loosing side, that was AD, now they make AD winners, and jump to DC, and then they make them the winners, and jump back to EP, so not to burst your bubble, but isnt faction locks ment to stop just that ?...

The fact that you can change faction every 30days does not change the fact that alot of players who play EP have at least 6-7 EP characters that they would be unable to play anymore by doing an effort to create some balance.

Regarding your second paragraph, I don't believe that a few groups of people willing to help the underdog would drastically change the scoreboard and put a faction in the winning spot. At least not from what I have seen the past few months.

I have been part of a guild who used to help AD once a week and from what I understood, people were only playing AD because EP was way ahead on the scoreboard. They would not have risked to have their main faction lose.

With the suggestion from @MipMip , it creates some more challenging fights on the map and attempt to counter the massive influx of people who used to play AD or DC and who will now main EP for the victory.

Believe it or not, alot of casual people want to get those rewards.

This being said, you entirely ignored my first solution which was to fix the cp system first, and then release two 30 days campaigns, one with faction locks and one without which would make the previous discussion worthless.

As i am pointing out, it also creates possibility to game the system, again i and alot of people dont want faction hoppers, enough is enough... you guys could have argued to stop the stupid long ago, but you dident, and here we are...

Can i ask you, why dident you speak up before, or come with ideas to stop the faction hopping before ?... I have stood by my faction in thick and thin, and like many others i anoys the *** out of me, when suddenly half your pop magically disapear to bandwagon to the "winning sides" then DC takes the west side, and EP the east side, it was done like clock work for months upon months...

So yea no... i rather know my enemy and fight them and loose, then just get frustrated, not knowing when people on my side are suddenly like magic be my enemy...

The pop will be split, couse we are alot that dont want to play with faction hoppers, i rather play on a small server with faction locks, even if its deserted, then endure the madness that been, enough is enough...

you guys want to treat cyrodil like some battle ground, where you can hop around as you like, isnt that what battle ground is for ?, small scale, git good, ask ZOS for alternative ones, i dont care... but leave my fation locks alone !

And again, we been in this situation, it fixed itself with faction locks... i was there when it did, in the beginning, when AD painted the map yellow... you dont need faction hopping during a campaign to fix it... you know it, i know it, and ZOS know it, and i have history proving my point

Probably because he doesn't play on the EU mega server and we don't have these shenanigans occurring on PC NA. Faction hopping on PC NA was done for the most part to balance the servers, help the lower pop faction and find good fights and certainly not something that needed fixing on the megaserver we're on. I'm not sure where the disconnect is with you understanding that player behaviors differ from megaserver and platform. There were better solutions out there that would have fixed the issues you guys are having. Instead we got a lazy half baked fix that really isn't going to address much of anything and strips the ability of players to try and balance server populations.

I wouldn't mind faction locks if ZOS could be bothered to put some friggin effort into things such as population balancing mechanics and fixing performance so that the pvp population could recover but that just isn't going to happen cause mount reskins and reasons. Unlike you, not everyone is ok playing on a dead server.
    source.gif
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »
    Because EP is the larger faction but the scaling is just smaller in pvp?
    Sorry, that doesn't in any way explain why a 4% higher faction population translates to double the other alliances.

You are also ignoring the fact that the % of EP in the game is not PVP exclusive, the 36% includes PVE only players. Which means that the 32% of DC and AD also includes that. So the % of players from those overall %s could be drastically different from a PVP/PVE perspective. It could be that a higher % of the 36% of EP players are also PVP players compared to the other 2 factions.
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    You are also ignoring the fact that the % of EP in the game is not PVP exclusive, the 36% includes PVE only players.
    I don't have that information, but I have no reason to doubt it's veracity. But it's not realistic to think the numbers would skew that much higher.
    Lethal zergling
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    You are also ignoring the fact that the % of EP in the game is not PVP exclusive, the 36% includes PVE only players.
    I don't have that information, but I have no reason to doubt it's veracity. But it's not realistic to think the numbers would skew that much higher.

There is when you take into account that Dark Elf and Argonian were PVP meta races for a long time.
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FF11 released 2002 had interesting story driven faction swapping with a lockout and reputation consequence.
    Look how far we have come in gaming...
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FF11 released 2002 had interesting story driven faction swapping with a lockout and reputation consequence.
    Look how far we have come in gaming...
    Yes, and the following year would see the release of Star Wars Galaxies; everything since has been regressive.
    Lethal zergling
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I believe that they should have reworked the CP system before introducing faction locks.

The main goal is to condense our PvP population as much as possible in a minimal amount of campaign to get a fair competition during primetime. Fixing the CP system would mean that we could go with one 30 days with faction locks enabled and another 30 days campaign without locks. I think this would go a long way.

I don't know how we fix CP to make it fair for low CP players in blended campaigns without removing CP altogether. Or eliminating CP PVP. Given the power creep, I'd personally be fine with that solution but I think a lot of players would riot.

CP is long overdue for an overhaul, though. It sounds like next balance sweep is class passives; maybe CP changes will come after that.
    Options
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

I don't know how we fix CP to make it fair for low CP players in blended campaigns without removing CP altogether. Or eliminating CP PVP. Given the power creep, I'd personally be fine with that solution but I think a lot of players would riot.

CP is long overdue for an overhaul, though. It sounds like next balance sweep is class passives; maybe CP changes will come after that.

the 30 day CP campaign is essentially the end game pvp campaign, it shouldn't be fixed for lower CP players. Not everyone needs a trophy.
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

the 30 day CP campaign is essentially the end game pvp campaign, it shouldn't be fixed for lower CP players. Not everyone needs a trophy.

Low CP players need a place to play where they aren't at a massive disadvantage versus the extra stats, extra damage and extra mitigation of full CP. If players have to grind to 810 CP just to play, they won't.
    Options
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Low CP players need a place to play where they aren't at a massive disadvantage versus the extra stats, extra damage and extra mitigation of full CP. If players have to grind to 810 CP just to play, they won't.

Sotha or whatever it’s called now.

I’ve seen 400-500 cp players do well. It comes down to skill.

Do you honestly think a cp 240 new player should compete with a cp 810 player in a cp campaign?
    Options
  • IceJudge
    IceJudge
    Soul Shriven
    I'm hugely disappointed by the way faction lock has been implemented.

Essentially I'd prefer a system where the player's account and all characters are locked to a faction for the duration of the campaign (30 day, 7 day, etc.)

Guild Wars 2 had a better system that didn't divide people from playing with their guilds/friends. The problem is trying to balance pvp with the lore restrictions which is ironic because I doubt the PvP player base cares more about consistency than gameplay.

Options
  • LaurenIsAwkward
    LaurenIsAwkward
    ✭✭✭
    It's frustrating that half of my characters just got tossed down the drain by faction locking, I'm not an overly serious player and just enjoy playing with my friends and now I can't play with a lot of them.
    Laelwen - AD Bosmer Stam Sorc (Main) AR 27
    Graça - AD Stam Templar (Former Main) AR 19
    Lauren the Dark - AD Nord Stam Nightblade AR 15
    (and a bunch of others)

@Violet_Sunrise PC NA AD
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreatWhite wrote: »
    It's frustrating that half of my characters just got tossed down the drain by faction locking, I'm not an overly serious player and just enjoy playing with my friends and now I can't play with a lot of them.
    Why not?
    Lethal zergling
    Options
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭

And this is true for many other players. Only a vocal minority has advocated for faction locks while for most the locks make ESO PvP less attractive.

I hope ZOS will revert this decision soon.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want faction lock the faction should be determined on account basis not character basis.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not?

Maybe because... some of his friends are playing for different factions?

Just a guess.
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Maybe because... some of his friends are playing for different factions? Just a guess.
    So? They can still all play ESO together. They'll just be fighting against each other instead of alongside each other. It's just as fun - try it.

Lethal zergling
    Options
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »
    *Looks at my Magicka/Stamina toon for every class..*

*Looks at my Magicka/Stamina toon for every class that are all DC*

Ha

Ha

Ha

*grin*.

I'm right there with you just the EP version.

AsyOT8S.png

No if they want to disrupt and troll Cyrodiil they will be forced to buy multiple accounts to do so. Which mean less chances to see the trolls in Cyrodiil. Good riddance!
    Options
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe because... some of his friends are playing for different factions? Just a guess.
    So? They can still all play ESO together. They'll just be fighting against each other instead of alongside each other. It's just as fun - try it.

This is the kind of violation that is the only legitimate argument for faction locks - cross alliance abuse by collusion.

But glad to see that you support it.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    This is the kind of violation that is the only legitimate argument for faction locks - cross alliance abuse by collusion.

So, you would define people fighting each other as collusion? I mean, I know that orange guy really stretched the definition, but that's taking it a bit too far.
    Lethal zergling
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far what I have seen of it is a pretty crappy. We had a couple of decent campaigns for Vivec NA before. Sometimes scores would really pull away at the end, but its usually off hours populations that did it but there were some nice fights going on. Now; its a pretty crappy thing to see DC at tri keeps at prime time with a ball group running around in 1. Its even more awesome if the hammer drops at that point because odds are one of the other 2 will get it just based on the land they have ports to compared to only having your 3 tri keeps.

Its complete garbage.
    Options
  • j3crow
    j3crow
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the reasoning behind faction locks and agree with much of it, but in my opinion it was poorly implemented. I made the mistake of locking myself out of the campaign alliance I wanted to be in on the 30 day standard campaign (truly my mistake, no complaints there). However, I than spent 100k AP to unlock that character from that campaign, only to find I was still locked out of the alliance I wanted to be in for 30 days, regardless.

I mean, that would make sense if there was more than one other locked campaign, but what is ZoS expecting? That I would than choose to lock myself out of the other two factions on the one remaining locked campaign?

If I recall correctly, the old method with locked campaigns, was that if you paid to unlock from a faction in a campaign, you could join with another (I could be mistaken, but that's how I remember it). But that is not the case, now. Had I known that I would be locked out of the alliance I wanted to be in, no matter what, I would not have wasted 100k AP.

I am sure there are trolls and cheaters out there with millions of AP, willing to spend 100k just to troll people, but I would dare to say that they are a small minority.

I think a wiser choice would have been to shorten the lockout timer to just a few days. That would still prevent, immediately alliance flipping, but would not be so punishing to regular players who want to play with their friends in different guilds, etc.

And for everybody who says "play the other campaigns", the fact remains that they are dramatically less populated and less rewarding. Its not the player or paying customer's job to manage populations, or expectations. Its ZoS' job.

My own observations are subjective, but every time I look, the only campaign that is pop-locked is the 30 day standard, and one faction dominates. Things have pretty much gone as many have predicted, and the other campaigns are far less populated (one bar most times I have checked).

It might have been smarter to make the 7-day campaigns the faction locked campaigns.
    Edited by j3crow on May 27, 2019 5:24AM
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

No it isnt, we all have a choise at the beginng of a campaign, choose a side... if you dont like faction locks, all you faction hoppers have this campaign, that is made for you, it have no locks at all...

i understand you guys want to hop around to get the "best" fights, but competition doesnt work like that, you dont see half a dota team leave the winning side to help to loosing side, you stick to the side untill the "match" is over, when it is everyone again have the same choise...

Now IF what you guys have said that you want to help the loosing side, lets see next month how many leave EP to help DC or AD, couse if what you been saying is true, you will help the underdog, right... for better fights and stuff, i look forward seeing you play AD !
    Edited by Miriel on May 28, 2019 8:27AM
    Options
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No it isnt, we all have a choise at the beginng of a campaign, choose a side... if you dont like faction locks, all you faction hoppers have this campaign, that is made for you, it have no locks at all...

i understand you guys want to hop around to get the "best" fights, but competition doesnt work like that, you dont see half a dota team leave the winning side to help to loosing side, you stick to the side untill the "match" is over, when it is everyone again have the same choise...

Now IF what you guys have said that you want to help the loosing side, lets see next month how many leave EP to help DC or AD, couse if what you been saying is true, you will help the underdog, right... for better fights and stuff, i look forward seeing you play AD !

After all the toxicity from faction loyal DC and AD players why would anyone want to come over and help them?
    Options
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Create an Exiled faction, that does not to be bind to any faction nor campaign locks.
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

Options
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry hon, it doesn't work that way anymore.

Red is my main alliance but I would play for other factions when ep had everything in an attempt to keep the fight alive and get momentum back for blue and yellow. I would call out objectives and aid calls in zone just like I did on red.

You and folks like you decided that I wasn't playing right because I wasn't playing it YOUR way. You've tried to inspire 'loyalty' onto me and side with a colour in a video game. "FOR THE (insert virtual game monarch here)!!!"

You wanted me to make a choice and i did. I chose to stay with my friends and guildmates because that's my side.
    Edited by ellahellabella on May 28, 2019 10:51AM
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

After all the toxicity from faction loyal DC and AD players why would anyone want to come over and help them?

Thank you... my point is, since you dont care about the campaign, or the score and want good fights, or wasent that what you said, or one of the reasons for faction hopping, to fast be able to play with friends, and get better fights...

Now IF thats true, the best fights would be on the loosing sides ?, and not going with a group, and over and over fight people you considder "trash" ... there is something that signifiantly dosent make any sense with your argument, couse iwe seen you on EP with other so called elite ep players, taking empty back keeps on AD, wheres the good fight in this ?, sounds like PvD to me...

Now, there is nothing wrong with that or playing for points, to win the campaign, just dont say you dont care, or want the good fights
    Edited by Miriel on May 28, 2019 11:34AM
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

Red is my main alliance but I would play for other factions when ep had everything in an attempt to keep the fight alive and get momentum back for blue and yellow. I would call out objectives and aid calls in zone just like I did on red.

You and folks like you decided that I wasn't playing right because I wasn't playing it YOUR way. You've tried to inspire 'loyalty' onto me and side with a colour in a video game. "FOR THE (insert virtual game monarch here)!!!"

You wanted me to make a choice and i did. I chose to stay with my friends and guildmates because that's my side.

Fashinating choise of words, why would you need to get momentum ?... your main faction is winning, unless you feel you need to take things for other sides, so EP can then again take things later, isnt that exactly what they wanted to prevent, within a "match"

At the start of each match we all have a choise... then you stick with that till next match, thats sorta the very foundation of competition... take a battleground, its esentialy just a much much smaller cyrodil, should you allow faction hopping in there also ? during a match, to give you momentum, makes no sense
    Options
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fashinating choise of words, why would you need to get momentum ?... your main faction is winning, unless you feel you need to take things for other sides, so EP can then again take things later, isnt that exactly what they wanted to prevent, within a "match"

At the start of each match we all have a choise... then you stick with that till next match, thats sorta the very foundation of competition... take a battleground, its esentialy just a much much smaller cyrodil, should you allow faction hopping in there also ? during a match, to give you momentum, makes no sense

I said get momentum back for Blue and Yellow.
    Look you might have fun taking everything and gating your foes but I don't. When most players get gated, they log off and that just makes it harder to gain territory back for those that stay. This in turn, ends the fights and kills the server for a while.

It's no fun for the dominating faction either because there's now no one to fight and nothing to attack/defend.

You want to win? That's fine. But what enjoyment is there in a hollow victory because you had no one to fight?
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

I said get momentum back for Blue and Yellow.
    Look you might have fun taking everything and gating your foes but I don't. When most players get gated, they log off and that just makes it harder to gain territory back for those that stay. This in turn, ends the fights and kills the server for a while.

It's no fun for the dominating faction either because there's now no one to fight and nothing to attack/defend.

You want to win? That's fine. But what enjoyment is there in a hollow victory because you had no one to fight?

Exactly, you dont solve the issue by making the campaign not matter at all, IF people know they have nothing to fight for, you will kill the server for real... a match needs a winner, people needs something to fight for, this is exactly the problem early early cyrodil battled with, when AD was so dominant, that got solved by people changes sides within the faction lock system, IF you want fun, or a healthier competition, cyrodil is 30days for a reason, its a long term fight where sides are pitted agaisnt each other...

I know we dont agree, and thats perfectly alright, it comes down to prefered playstyles, as i said earlier, wich you avoided answearing, a battleground is essintially just a much much smaller cyrodil, and for the same reason you cant allow hopping sides, during a battleground, to help or make fights more eaven, in the end, someone have to win and someone have to loose...
    Edited by Miriel on May 28, 2019 12:05PM
    Options