The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Faction swap tokens

Irylia
Irylia
✭✭✭✭✭
With the implementation of faction lock we should be able to swap characters from one faction to another so that while locked to one faction for the duration of a campaign we can use whatever characters we like in the campaign that we support.

2k crowns a faction swap seems fair.
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll take three free ones with the implementation of faction loyalty in elsweyr
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do want
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll never happen because there are achievement furnishings tied to the alliance - and they'd have to go through all your stuff and switch them over. Plus, there would be potential leader board/emperor issues, etc.
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MinuitPro wrote: »
    It'll never happen because there are achievement furnishings tied to the alliance - and they'd have to go through all your stuff and switch them over. Plus, there would be potential leader board/emperor issues, etc.

If you swap it’s the same as retiring from a campaign
    Just have it reset your campaign pick
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This won't happen. I Spoke with them in person at an event about factions being broken away from character creations. During that conversation they said that they're not interested in allowing character alliance change as a service, and spoke a little about there being technical limitations which could be overcome but would require a significant investment of time.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    This won't happen. I Spoke with them in person at an event about factions being broken away from character creations. During that conversation they said that they're not interested in allowing character alliance change as a service, and spoke a little about there being technical limitations which could be overcome but would require a significant investment of time.

This
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can already buy AD stuff with AD character and put them in your EP characters house.
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »

You can already buy AD stuff with AD character and put them in your EP characters house.

Houses are account bound, not character. You need to complete certain achievements to be able to buy certain furniture. Changing your alliance changes what order your main and cadwells silver and gold story lines are supposed to go. If there was an alliance change token all of your quest lines would need to be reorganized for the new alliance.
  • iris56
    iris56
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly this is my biggest heartache with the locked campaigns. I can deal with only being able to play one faction, but I hate that it makes 2/3 of my characters essentially unusable in Cyrodiil unless I play in a campaign that I'm not interested in. Plus, the only way to fix it is delete them and start over from scratch. I can't see myself doing that 10 times just to recreate what I already had. I would pay soooo much money to fix the 10 character if it were an option. I'll probably take a hiatus from Cyrodiil instead and hope something changes. Its a shame though because I really enjoy it most of the time!
    Edited by iris56 on May 15, 2019 7:50PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iris56 wrote: »
    I can deal with only being able to play one faction, but I hate that it makes 2/3 of my characters essentially unusable in Cyrodiil unless I play in a campaign that I'm not interested in. Plus, the only way to fix it is delete them and start over from scratch. I can't see myself doing that 10 times just to recreate what I already had.

This post smells like a player that can’t miss out on transmute geodes.

I like to PvP too ... but I highly doubt that you put in meaningful time on 10 characters per Cyrodiil campaign. In other words, time put in after tier one rewards.

If you play the 7-day campaign on those characters, you’ll still get four (4) 10-stone geodes per month ... a net loss of only 10 stones.

By the way, you not being interested in a 7-day campaign does not mean it’s a useless campaign. Other players (including this player) will be glad to play off-Alliance characters there.

ZOS has recently stated they’re not doing faction change tokens anyway.

Not really sure why forum-goers keep insisting on a separate thread ... when they can use the search feature for the most recent discussion on faction change.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

This is exactly what Rich stated in a Twitch stream earlier this year, that they are not interested in it. If it is partially based on the work required to make it happen then the simple answer is Zos does not think the required work is worth it.
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Houses are account bound, not character. You need to complete certain achievements to be able to buy certain furniture. Changing your alliance changes what order your main and cadwells silver and gold story lines are supposed to go. If there was an alliance change token all of your quest lines would need to be reorganized for the new alliance.

No, the only real impact is Cadwells silver / gold since you can do the quests in any order you want. They could just leave any completed quests alone and just change your faction. Otherwise make it a requirement to complete silver & gold to switch so it would discourage people from bouncing a lot of alts.

Faction lock is a *** move IMO, prevents me from playing my alts in the most action packed campaign. I like having fun on different factions as they each have different approaches in general, so it sucks to get limited to one side for the campaign.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synnastix wrote: »

No, the only real impact is Cadwells silver / gold since you can do the quests in any order you want. They could just leave any completed quests alone and just change your faction. Otherwise make it a requirement to complete silver & gold to switch so it would discourage people from bouncing a lot of alts.

Faction lock is a *** move IMO, prevents me from playing my alts in the most action packed campaign. I like having fun on different factions as they each have different approaches in general, so it sucks to get limited to one side for the campaign.

Besides the fact that it is not happening it seems very presumptuous to suggest there is really only one impact when we do have no clue what entanglements there are.
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-3 free tokens we need.
    Edited by ruikkarikun on May 15, 2019 10:21PM
  • Barbaran
    Barbaran
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would they let you change factions with a token when they can urge you to:
    -buy an additional character slot to play your other class on a new alliance
    -buy riding speed, stamina and carry capacity (180 days is a long time)
    - buy your skyshards

Which option seems more greedy?
  • Runkorko
    Runkorko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbaran wrote: »
    - buy your skyshards

They could make the faction change the same cost as all that added together
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »
    Barbaran wrote: »
    - buy your skyshards

They could make the faction change the same cost as all that added together

But there are not going to make the faction change token and their reason is not cost.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As much as I agree with this ideas ZOS has already stated they don't have plans for this so I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • twing1_
    twing1_
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it needs to happen.

But it never will because ZOS has stated so. Their reasoning is because it would require too much of a developmental demand. Quests are tied to a characters alliance and would need a total rework, cyrodil PvP is in the same boat, and achievements too.

Unfortunately, this is one of those additions that even ZOS agrees needs to happen, but they are unwilling to invest the time and effort into making it a reality.

Edit: Although, after One Tamriel and the more recent faction lock mechanic, it does seem to me that there could be potential work around that don't require an entire recode of the game. But again, probably too much effort for ZOS to bother.
    Edited by twing1_ on May 16, 2019 6:26PM
  • iris56
    iris56
    ✭✭✭
    This post smells like a player that can’t miss out on transmute geodes.

You're not wrong. I have an addiction to trying out stuff. I have 15 characters each with multiple setups and I'm always changing builds on a couple, which requires a lot of transmuting. I get 25k on 15 characters every month on a vivec and I mostly burn it. If I want to really pvp, I have a handful of characters I tend favor.

I rarely bother with the 7 day because its not worth it timewise for the given rewards and my friends don't play there....because they're also mostly there for transmutes or grinding a characters alliance level. We're all mostly pve or traders at heart.
    By the way, you not being interested in a 7-day campaign does not mean it’s a useless campaign. Other players (including this player) will be glad to play off-Alliance characters there.

I didn't mean to imply it was useless to everyone! I certainly don't claim to speak for everyone, but unless my friends start playing on it (unlikely) or the rewards are increased (possible) I won't be using the 7 day.

I have considered taking one alliance into the 30 day no cp....but I always end up missing my cp too much. I've gotten emp on it before, but not my thing I'm afraid. So that leaves me with 5 characters I will realistically use.

I'll miss PVPing more, but right now it just doesn't make sense. I'll probably just spend more time in PVE grinding the same stuff over and over for the right traits instead of PVPing as much. To each his own though, if the changes or 7 day suit your needs, no judgement here! I think there are a lot more people who dabble in PVP for transmutes and to hangout with different faction groups of friends than people realize though.

Edited by iris56 on May 17, 2019 5:55PM
  • efster
    efster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want this too but as others have pointed out, alliance is baked into characters at creation, and it would require a significant amount of time and effort on their part to reverse-engineer that. Which would be time and effort not being spent on other things.

What I wonder about, though -- does it really need to be reverse-engineered? If they heavily restricted which characters are allowed to defect in the first place -- e.g. only those who have already completed all of Cadwell's Gold and Silver, as well as all PVE quests whose start and progress are tied to Alliance, like the Fighter's and Mages' Guild quests sending you to guildhalls throughout the alliance's zones -- then you could bypass the problem with quest-related stuff entirely. And for future expansions/DLCs, they can just let the quest starting document/bauble dialog give all players an option of which alliance zone they want to do the quest in, like a navigator NPC:
    Help! Adventurer! A magical pony is trapped in a realm of Oblivion! If you want to help it, you can speak to a herald in Vulkhel Guard, Davon's Watch, or Daggerfall!
    - Tell me more about this magical pony. Why should I want to save it?
    - OK, I'll go to Vulkhel Guard
    - OK, I'll go to Davon's Watch
    - OK, I'll go to Daggerfall
    - Never mind.

Basically, make a list of what will break if a character's alliance is changed and only allow characters who can't possibly break it any more to make the change.
    Edited by efster on May 17, 2019 12:00AM
    AD is the best looking faction. I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love this. It really should be a thing now tbh.
  • Barbaran
    Barbaran
    ✭✭✭✭

Zos: we need to seperate the game between alliances, we won't be able to code co-existing factions

Result: one Tamriel happens

Zos: we can't add new classes to the game

Result: Warden is introduced

Zos: we won't have a necromancer, Warden was already coded into the game but removed last minuite, that's why we were able to release it

Result: Elswyre

Zos: oh you have huge fps drop and immense lag in cyrodiil, must be your internet, not our servers

Result: fiber optic, speed tests fine, runs smooth on any other online game who's servers arn't powerd by a potatoe.

Zos is full of it.

• Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Streamers and YouTube broilers cause problems...they also act as radar guys to other alliances. Moles warning on everything is just plain stupid overused "tactics".