Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do you collect books in ESO?

MarkaN_LNL
No, seriously. You obviously cannot pick them up but you have some library in the journal.

I am playing from 3day early access and I have read atleast 6-7 books, but only ONE is listed in my library! How is that possible, and is it working at all? Is possible that many books in the game simply cannot be collected or am I missing something?
Edited by MarkaN_LNL on April 2, 2014 11:25AM
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    The books that are listed in your library are going to be the blue glowing ones. When you originally look at them it will say "Lore Book Acquired" or something similar across the center of your screen and the book will disappear. These are not books in the actual book shelves as far as I've seen. They're found on their own.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that when you do the mages guild quest you get an ability called eidetic which lets you read every book you've found in the game. I think that's how you collect them.
  • Mephiston87
    Mephiston87
    ✭✭
    blue/purpily books and a few rare scrolls, basically when you get out of the starter area and join the mages guild, xp towards the mages guild is aquired from them. as is killing certain monsters for the fighters guild and doing dungeons for the undaunted.
    Edited by Mephiston87 on April 2, 2014 11:30AM
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »
    The books that are listed in your library are going to be the blue glowing ones. When you originally look at them it will say "Lore Book Acquired" or something similar across the center of your screen and the book will disappear. These are not books in the actual book shelves as far as I've seen. They're found on their own.

^this^

And books in bookshelves give you a random chance to get a random skill up in one of your skill trees

Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • ISeeUnicorns
    ISeeUnicorns
    ✭✭
    The blue/purple rimmed books and scrolls also the odd gold rimmed book seems to be counting as lore as well, so best to check them all.
  • misterme2011
    misterme2011
    ✭✭
    It would be great if we could reads the books on a phone or tablet even when not playing by logging into the ESO website (or an app). I have limited play time, but if I'm out somewhere and need to kill time it would be nice to read some lore
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if we could reads the books on a phone or tablet even when not playing by logging into the ESO website (or an app). I have limited play time, but if I'm out somewhere and need to kill time it would be nice to read some lore

This should suffice, my friend.

The UESP has become the pinnacle for TES information over the years of the series.
    Edited by SeñorCinco on April 2, 2014 12:24PM
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Naguur86
    Naguur86
    ✭✭✭
    I just take a screen of every page of every book I find and after playing I take 5 minutes to name those screens and put them in order. Collected about 80 books/letters/diaries so far.