The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Please, Please, Please Add Some Survey Writ Help on the PS4

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I am getting my survey writs to pile up in my bank and bags because it is a fair bit of a pain to find the right places to pick them up. Please add some in game help to the PS4 (and I assume XBOX) comparable to the addons available for the PC.

Some Master Writ and even regular daily writ support would also be quite helpful and would be a strong quality of life improvement.
PC
PS4/PS5
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    it would also be nice if they returned back to craglorn. such a hassle to collect them all now..
    PC-EU @lientier
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lientier wrote: »
    it would also be nice if they returned back to craglorn. such a hassle to collect them all now..

I wasn't around when that was true, but I would agree. The ones near a Wayshrine are not too horrible, but many are a real pain, hard to find AND a long ways away from any Wayshrine.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now in crown store: crafting writ location markers for future characters once a character in the account has found it, 5k crowns.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Now in crown store: crafting writ location markers for future characters once a character in the account has found it, 5k crowns.

This feature is basically what the OP is asking for (as something unpaid), but ZOS won't put what console players actually want in the Crown Store. There's no market for it on PC, and there would be too many issues around charging console players for something PC players already have through add-ons.

If survey "QoL improvements" end up in the Crown Store, it will be in some form that lets you collect your surveys without actually spending the time to go anywhere in Tamriel to collect them. In other words, some way to bypass the gameplay aspect of the activity entirely, rather than making it less onerous. The skyshard thing taught us this: from now on console gets to enjoy the QoL improvement called "pay not to play."

Risk of this being, of course, that folks on console might eventually choose the perfectly free way of not playing the game.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am getting my survey writs to pile up in my bank and bags because it is a fair bit of a pain to find the right places to pick them up. Please add some in game help to the PS4 (and I assume XBOX) comparable to the addons available for the PC.

Some Master Writ and even regular daily writ support would also be quite helpful and would be a strong quality of life improvement.

My maps aren't the best as I was still learning my graphics program back then but they might help you
    http://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/esotu-crafting-writ-survey-location-map-compendium/
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have maps for all the surveys locations, but some are still a bit hard to find and glancing between the PS4 and computer is a pain when the PC has addons that integrate it.

I don't want auto harvesting, just ways to find things.

A change like this would fit with the new things they just added to the maps. I was finally able to find the quests I am missing, for example, on the character that is going to "do all the quest achievements" at some point. I did get pretty interrupted from that with all these events, but that is a wonderful addition I would like to see more of.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice if they treated survey nodes similar to "points of interest," or any other location in the game that has an associated permanent icon, in that once you harvest a survey, it will forever have a permanent icon on the map marking that location for that character.

Or simply add a map editor tool that allows us to put custom markers on our own maps wherever we want them that will persist in perpetuity.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    Would be nice if they treated survey nodes similar to "points of interest," or any other location in the game that has an associated permanent icon, in that once you harvest a survey, it will forever have a permanent icon on the map marking that location for that character.

Or simply add a map editor tool that allows us to put custom markers on our own maps wherever we want them that will persist in perpetuity.

Having a semi-permanent mark would be reasonable as well, just like the other things that only show up when you are either close or have fully explored it. The would likely not be as hard.

It would lack the indicator of whether you can really get something there however.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    En.usep.net online survey report
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And how do I get that in-game, like with the PC version?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use my phone
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You made the choice to play on PS4. Add-ons have been around since before the console versions even existed, so research could have been done.

Don't blame ZoS on this one... it's Sony who doesn't play nice and doesn't allow the add-ons, plus the consoles can barely run the game, include add-ons and it becomes unplayable.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

You made the choice to play on PS4. Add-ons have been around since before the console versions even existed, so research could have been done.

Don't blame ZoS on this one... it's Sony who doesn't play nice and doesn't allow the add-ons, plus the consoles can barely run the game, include add-ons and it becomes unplayable.

Are you the official ZoS defender? Is everything they do perfect?

I was looking at items on the PS4 last year and they had a special so I purchased it. I am at fault for that?

I am not allowed to ask for improvements to the PS4 and likely XBOX?

I didn't see the "you will always be a second class citizen of this MMO warning either.
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on May 11, 2019 8:23PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you the official ZoS defender? Is everything they do perfect?

I was looking at items on the PS4 last year and they had a special so I purchased it. I am at fault for that?

I am not allowed to ask for improvements to the PS4 and likely XBOX?

I didn't see the "you will always be a second class citizen of this MMO warning either.

I didn't say they were... that's a hell of a reading between the lines... A real "shoot the messenger" here.

You are free to ask, I'm just letting you know, that ZoS can't really do much about your predicament. You would be better off asking Sony to allow for add-on support. They also respond to tickets sent in game, rather than making a thread for every little thing that isn't perfect in your eyes.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't blaming anyone. I was asking for a feature. Though I was replying to those who note solutions that are not in the game as well.

I live with things as they are, but responding to "please add this features to consoles that addons cover" is not solved with a web site.

I am not sure why you felt compelled to jump in then if you are not defending and telling me that I choose to play on the PS4 and hence that explains everything.

Adding a direction indicator, as they did add with breaches, would not break the game. Nor would adding an entry on the map.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm confused by the request, as I've never found the vast majority of the surveys difficult to find in the first place, and by now I could (and sometimes do) find my way to them cold. (exceptions for Wrothgar, Craglorn, and Coldharbour, where there are multiple locations).

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    I'm confused by the request, as I've never found the vast majority of the surveys difficult to find in the first place, and by now I could (and sometimes do) find my way to them cold. (exceptions for Wrothgar, Craglorn, and Coldharbour, where there are multiple locations).

Most are not horrible, but finding some can be more of a challenge. I just want a map marker (in this case) for them. I am not holding my breath of course, but it would be a great quality of life improvement for many of us.

The current system involves far too much back and forth, often making a list on my computer (which is right next to my main PS4 play TV fortunately). It would still be much nicer to simply have them marked on my map if I have any for the zone I am viewing.

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that some of them are hard to find and it is annoying when they are out in the middle of nowhere. Some of them just sit in my inventory until it is actually worth my while to go there - for 3 or 4 at a time maybe.

What I'd counter that with is why should they be easy to find?
    Once you've been there 20 times, you'll know exactly where they are. If anything, I think some of the survey maps could be drawn a little clearer and more precise.

The map would look really funny if everything was right next to a wayshrine and easy to get to. We'd either have dozens of wayshrines everywhere or lots of empty open spaces because we have to cram everything around a wayshrine.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I agree that some of them are hard to find and it is annoying when they are out in the middle of nowhere. Some of them just sit in my inventory until it is actually worth my while to go there - for 3 or 4 at a time maybe.

What I'd counter that with is why should they be easy to find?
    Once you've been there 20 times, you'll know exactly where they are. If anything, I think some of the survey maps could be drawn a little clearer and more precise.

The map would look really funny if everything was right next to a wayshrine and easy to get to. We'd either have dozens of wayshrines everywhere or lots of empty open spaces because we have to cram everything around a wayshrine.

I see no value that makes the current state better than having a marker. They are not hard nor easy, just a bit of a pain. I save them up too, so it is more of a pain to find them since I have forgotten the exact location for many of them, though it is starting to drip more into my brain.

Few are right on a wayshrine, so that is not a big concern. Most maps have plenty of space left.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just be happy if \reloadui would reset the survey nodes instead of forcing me to run off some random distance only to return and find out I didn't quite run off far enough and repeat the process until it respawns...

Edit: Clarification - For when I have multiples of the same survey in my inventory.

Edited by Feric51 on May 13, 2019 12:14PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just be happy if \reloadui would reset the survey nodes instead of forcing me to run off some random distance only to return and find out I didn't quite run off far enough and repeat the process until it respawns...

Edit: Clarification - For when I have multiples of the same survey in my inventory.

8 seconds on your horse, in a straight line, with rapids, has always worked for me
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    If you are on console get the iPhone app "The ESO App", it's a great app to help track progress and find in-game resources like surveys. I'm not sure if there's an Android version or a similar app for Android phones.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

8 seconds on your horse, in a straight line, with rapids, has always worked for me

I tend to do something similar, but some nodes make 8 seconds in a straight line difficult to manage due to terrain, water, mobs, etc.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I tend to do something similar, but some nodes make 8 seconds in a straight line difficult to manage due to terrain, water, mobs, etc.

Exactly. I lose track of where I was far too many times. Quite annoying.

You could even adjust it to selecting the survey (x on the PS4) would reset it if all the current nodes for the last one have been gathered.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, I've figured out over the years what's the best way to run for each survey. Many of them I've found a "signpost", a rock, a tree, a wayshrine to loop around that always resets it. Surprised that nobody's made an add-on for PC that shows when it's reset :joy:

Logging out and back in works too, but that takes WAAAAAAAAAY too long
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A simple in game fix would solve this problem for ALL platforms.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wanting a quality product is a reasonable request on any platform, provided that the request is made in a courteous fashion. Suggestions for improvement don't always translate to an attack on the game or on ZOS. Quite the opposite, in fact. They may be aimed at helping, by communicating to the game developers how to make the player experience better.

It does seem to me, though, that if ZOS had any interest in improving the map interface on console, they would have already added a skyshard marker or toggle to the new-and-improved Zone Guide. They chose instead to put skyshards in the Crown Store. As I mentioned above, it doesn't look like a priority for them, for a variety of reasons.

One good and simple compromise, in my opinion, would be to allow the surveys to be sold, rather than making them account bound. Then people who have a lot of time to spend on them (retirees, for example) could purchase them and farm the mats. Especially on console, where trader prices are significantly higher than on PC, this would be win-win.
    Edited by JadeCoin on May 13, 2019 11:27PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Knowing which skyshards you still need quickly from the map is a good advance, but adding a map marker would definitely be a great quality of life addition.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately I don’t see ZOS helping at all with this or any type of maker on maps to make a quality of life any better for us on console. Nor do I suspect we will get much support from our PC brother and sisters.

Sorry :/
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, I've figured out over the years what's the best way to run for each survey. Many of them I've found a "signpost", a rock, a tree, a wayshrine to loop around that always resets it. Surprised that nobody's made an add-on for PC that shows when it's reset :joy:

Logging out and back in works too, but that takes WAAAAAAAAAY too long

There's a couple nodes that are notoriously inconvenient - an alchemy one in Wrothgar comes to mind - that I simply free fast travel to an unowned home in the zone then immediately exit the house. This will teleport you back to the exact spot you were standing but resets the zone since houses are their own instance. Two loadscreens generally take longer than a horse sprint, but for those particularly hard to get to nodes it's worth it.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA