The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Night Capping PC-NA

fullheartcontainer
fullheartcontainer
✭✭✭✭
Look, I know this gets brought up a lot, but seriously it's absolutely ridiculous that on a NORTH AMERICA megaserver, the non-Americans are the ones who get to swing the campaign so hard by capping the map every. single. night.

Do I think Oceanic players shouldn't get to play PC-NA? Not necessarily. Not any more than I think EU players shouldn't be able to play PC-NA, which is to say I think they should be able to but shouldn't want to. PC-EU players have the EU megaserver and therefore no reason to log in to the NA megaserver. It's high time ZOS got it together and made an Oceanic megaserver. It's honestly insulting to both the Oceanic players that they don't have one already, and it's insulting to PC-NA players that they have to give up victories on their own megaserver due to people off that megaserver's own timezone slots.

Nightcappers: as for you, and I know you know who you are, maybe try splitting up factions a bit more. How fun can it honestly be to log in and take the map without a fight every single night? That's not pvp; it's an unfunny joke.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, dude. You might just worry less about campaign scores, and enjoy the fights. You’ll end up having a more relaxing, enjoyable experience.
  • fullheartcontainer
    fullheartcontainer
    ✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    Lol, dude. You might just worry less about campaign scores, and enjoy the fights. You’ll end up having a more relaxing, enjoyable experience.

What I'm arguing for would strictly speaking give more even and better fights across the board. If you are enjoying fights, whether you want to win for the factions or not it should be appealing.

On top of that, Oceanic megaservers would give oceanic players a MUCH better experience instead of having to play the game with 500 ping minimum.
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop trying to make Oceanic Megaservers happen!

I would not move to it even if they did add one. All my friends play on NA, so why would I ever move anyway?

You need to realise that if the map wasn't night capped, you'd come back to a dead map.

Do you remember the days of Buff campaigns?

booooring....
    Edited by Metafae on May 3, 2019 7:46AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo, I play at that time and I can say there’s almost always an even 2 bars across on Vivec so there’s really not much PvDoor happening in terms of unbalanced pops. Relax. Just one faction usually cares more or there’s an AD guild that runs a pretty big group at that time that really like the hit tri keeps and scrolls. But honestly who cares.
    Edited by Vapirko on May 3, 2019 7:52AM
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    final_5ccbf61b11bcb800146a4b1e_425481.jpg
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Yo, I play at that time and I can say there’s almost always an even 2 bars across on Vivec so there’s really not much PvDoor happening in terms of unbalanced pops. Relax. Just one faction usually cares more or there’s an AD guild that runs a pretty big group at that time that really like the hit tri keeps and scrolls. But honestly who cares.

And if you get into Japan times, DC has 3-4 active guilds. AD has 1-2. EP has 1-2. The power shifts throughout the night. But regardless, there are tons of fights and never a boring moment. Campaign scores are largely beyond any one time zones control. I think most of us log on after a day’s work, and just happy to be entertained. Cheers.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

And if you get into Japan times, DC has 3-4 active guilds. AD has 1-2. EP has 1-2. The power shifts throughout the night. But regardless, there are tons of fights and never a boring moment. Campaign scores are largely beyond any one time zones control. I think most of us log on after a day’s work, and just happy to be entertained. Cheers.

Agreed. The whole night capping thing, at least in Vivec is not what people imagine it to be most of the time.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of course, after logging in early today (6pm Japan time / 5AM EST), and seeing 3 bars red to 1 bar blue and 1 bar yellow. Red just got Emp and now taking AD scrolls....I see partly what the OP is getting at. I'll play later if my friends do. But history has shown that behavior like this just ends up killing the map for the entire evening. We shall see if pops balance out. Blue should have Japanese guilds on in 4 hours time. AD may or may not. Might stay 1 bar pop tonight.

But to the OP, see we can't really get to upset about the score. EP will gain another 200-300 pts over the next 4 hours. So just try to have fun. Or do bgs in the meantime like me.
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, after logging in early today (6pm Japan time / 5AM EST), and seeing 3 bars red to 1 bar blue and 1 bar yellow. Red just got Emp and now taking AD scrolls....I see partly what the OP is getting at. I'll play later if my friends do. But history has shown that behavior like this just ends up killing the map for the entire evening. We shall see if pops balance out. Blue should have Japanese guilds on in 4 hours time. AD may or may not. Might stay 1 bar pop tonight.

But to the OP, see we can't really get to upset about the score. EP will gain another 200-300 pts over the next 4 hours. So just try to have fun. Or do bgs in the meantime like me.

Isnt it painfully obvious the system has big flaws when packingup on one faction to do PvE in a PvP zone is so much more rewarding than doing what youre supposed to do. If Cyrodiil was a PvE dungeon so many would be banned for abusing flaws within the game mechanics. Proof ZoS doesnt gibe a flying *** about Cyrodiil and the balancing. Stop giving AP for empty keep takes, and that 3 bar will be forced to spread out.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All that is required is dynamic population scoring. So that when the server is locked score is evaluated every 5m and when it is unbalanced it's evaluated every 30m-1h

This way neither playerbase is disadvantaged and everyone contributes to the score at a similar weighting
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If night capping is such a big issue, find people in your faction who play from different time zones, add them to your pvp guild and set them up as a counter force to the night cap.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »
    If night capping is such a big issue, find people in your faction who play from different time zones, add them to your pvp guild and set them up as a counter force to the night cap.

Sounds good on paper. But it isn't as easy as you'd think. While population makes a difference, it's organization, which requires leaders and ones who will actually follow the lead. Organized guilds also can make a big, big difference. We shall see what happens when faction locks kick in.
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good on paper. But it isn't as easy as you'd think. While population makes a difference, it's organization, which requires leaders and ones who will actually follow the lead. Organized guilds also can make a big, big difference. We shall see what happens when faction locks kick in.

I didn't say anything about how easy or difficult it would be. I'm just being serious. The fighting doesn't stop when people go to sleep, so if it's a big issue, take responsibility for it and do something about it in a realistic way.
    Edited by Metafae on May 3, 2019 10:43AM
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't say anything about how easy or difficult it would be. I'm just being serious. The fighting doesn't stop when people go to sleep, so if it's a big issue, take responsibility for it and do something about it in a realistic way.

So the people who don't play during that time should take responsibility for it rather than the people who do play during that time? I see.
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »

So the people who don't play during that time should take responsibility for it rather than the people who do play during that time? I see.

If it matters that much to them, yes, they should.
    Cyrodiil is a 24/7 battle zone. It doesn't stop.

Companies that operate 24/7 have to roster people to work all around the clock. It would be the same here. If you care that much about night capping, roster people in your guild to keep the fight going while other people are taking a break.

If you don't want to do that, then get over it.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »

If it matters that much to them, yes, they should.
    Cyrodiil is a 24/7 battle zone. It doesn't stop.

Companies that operate 24/7 have to roster people to work all around the clock. It would be the same here. If you care that much about night capping, roster people in your guild to keep the fight going while other people are taking a break.

If you don't want to do that, then get over it.

Bit hostile there. Easy now. Thing is that some people do care. Not me really. I just care about having fairly balanced population and fun fights. But when one population has 3 bars to 1 bar like I mentioned earlier, it isn't always fun. You just get overrun. And just saying to find more players isn't always feasible when there just aren't that many players available during that time zone. Or if they all stack on one side.

The one thing I do know. Oceanic tends to balance out over time. But if one side pushes too much by taking everything on the map, it will temporarily kill the fights. The side getting overrun will not log in. And the side doing the overrunning will log with nothing to do. I've seen it happen over and over. Eventually, it rights itself. But for those 2 weeks or so. Everyone is miserable. lol
  • lostcloud
    lostcloud
    ✭✭✭

What I'm arguing for would strictly speaking give more even and better fights across the board. If you are enjoying fights, whether you want to win for the factions or not it should be appealing.

On top of that, Oceanic megaservers would give oceanic players a MUCH better experience instead of having to play the game with 500 ping minimum.

Yes, oceanic mega servers would be nice but the official word from Zos as of a couple of months ago is that it will never happen. This part of the world simply does not have the population that their mega servers require so we will just be night capping scum running on our uncompetitive 300+ms.

But as Alchuri said tonight was something different 3 bars of EP swept the map collected all of the scrolls over a 3 to 4 hour period. This was kind of strange as most of the time it is 2 bars across the board with quite even fights with a good deal of back and forth fighting. Was it faction hoppers trying to get EP into an unassailable position near the end of the campaign, who knows but it was somewhat unusual to see after several months of reasonably even oceanic populations.

Oh well, faction locks will make it interesting to see how things shake out.

Yes, the ping is an issue in ESO and is the reason 12 to 15 of my guildmates stopped playing but there is a game on the horizon that will have oceanic servers and as soon as it lands bye bye ESO and your horrid lag.
    Edited by lostcloud on May 3, 2019 4:41PM
    Nocturnal (AD AvA Oceanic guild, still kicking after 5 years) Formed in 1999 DAoC Beta now in our 21st year.
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    80% of the people in organised guilds "night capping" are actually in America and Canada playing at 3am, trust me.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another American who doesn't understand how timezones work. I see a pattern emerging here ...
    rolleyes.gif
  • lostcloud
    lostcloud
    ✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    80% of the people in organised guilds "night capping" are actually in America and Canada playing at 3am, trust me.

Its the tower rats that are annoying, with their lower ping and the slight desinc it causes. Trying to land an ability on them around the curve of those towers is somewhat annoying. Generally, just flip the resource and leave them to their tower hugging.

But honestly how many threads would we be up to now on night capping 2- 300 by now. lol
    Nocturnal (AD AvA Oceanic guild, still kicking after 5 years) Formed in 1999 DAoC Beta now in our 21st year.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How dare the foreign horde come in and take our Cyrodils.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oceanic players are the minority during their prime time. Most of the overnight NA players are Americans who are night owls or on the west coast or both. It’s not a day/night issue, and you muddy things by claiming “nightcapping” by “non-Americans” as if our oceanic and European brethren are some sort of boogeymen.

The problem is imbalanced population, and the problems it causes when a faction stacks together and flattens an undefended map, no matter when it happens or on what campaign. As much as we’ve always wanted players to police the,selves and spread out across the alliances during non peak hours, it’s clear that it won’t happen. It’s a zeni problem to fix, and let’s be honest, dynamic pop caps are way beyond their skills to do well.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure what do you mean by night capping, but DC doesnt do it

Even when they are pop locked vs 1-2 bars EP/AD they can barely move past nikel/bleaks.

Its been as of lately that i am noticing large groups so bad I often think there is 1 person playing 32 accounts and jumping between computers to move the characters.

Legit smallmans of 2-3 can defend any keep they want without putting much effort.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, I know this gets brought up a lot, but seriously it's absolutely ridiculous that on a NORTH AMERICA megaserver, the non-Americans are the ones who get to swing the campaign so hard by capping the map every. single. night..

The nameNorth American Server relates purely to the physical location of the server, nothing else. Both the NA and EU servers are open to the world, 24 hours a day.

Wars don’t stop just because certain soldiers want to get their beauty sleep.
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    esotoon wrote: »
    Look, I know this gets brought up a lot, but seriously it's absolutely ridiculous that on a NORTH AMERICA megaserver, the non-Americans are the ones who get to swing the campaign so hard by capping the map every. single. night..

The nameNorth American Server relates purely to the physical location of the server, nothing else. Both the NA and EU servers are open to the world, 24 hours a day.

Thats true, but wars stops when theres noone left to fight. I hope ep is enjoying a campaign with less and less players (SS NA). I have an idea; what about spreading out through the 3 factions instead of poplocking one and fighting 2 factions with a handful of players combined? Cowardism is also something typical for war and theres a lot of that on sotha.
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    esotoon wrote: »

Thats true, but wars stops when theres noone left to fight. I hope ep is enjoying a campaign with less and less players (SS NA). I have an idea; what about spreading out through the 3 factions instead of poplocking one and fighting 2 factions with a handful of players combined? Cowardism is also something typical for war and theres a lot of that on sotha.

No reason to grind a new character for an alliance they don’t care about, otherwise they would have.

And with alliance lock coming the idea of switching sides and not being able to play with my guild/friends is obv not going to happen
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's gonna happen. You can't stop it. The worst part is when they camp and kill all pvp for the server.

Edit*

So many guilds have done this and had no clue what they were doing to the health of pvp.

Guilds are the worst and best thing in pvp at the same time.
    Edited by MajBludd on May 10, 2019 11:43AM